Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 03:25 It is currently 05 May 2024, 03:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2419 [0]
Given Kudos: 273
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Tutor

Send PM
Re: Review of GMATPrep Exam Pack 2: Two full length official GMAT tests [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tronghieu1987 wrote:
Hi experts, please help me in justifying the my result from this Exam Pack 2.

I recently got V40 (RC 38, SC 40, CR 42). As usual, there are 13 RC, 17 SC and 11 CR questions in Verbal section. I was incorrect in 2 RC questions (so 11/13 correct) and 4 CR questions (so 7/11 correct). The weird thing was that I found 2 incorrect RC questions so difficult, while 2-3 incorrect CR questions are easy (at least they are not at the same level as the 2 incorrect RC questions are).

As I understand, GMAC algorithm is that an incorrect easy question is more harmful than an incorrect hard question. So I was very confused with the result (42CR and 38 RC).

I wouldn't say that an incorrect easy question is more harmful than an incorrect hard question. The impact on your score has more to do with where in the test those questions appeared (early, in the middle, or late?).
Tutor
Affiliations: GMATQuantum
Own Kudos [?]: 657 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: Review of GMATPrep Exam Pack 2: Two full length official GMAT tests [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I am no longer active on this forum.

Originally posted by dabral on 06 Apr 2016, 20:40.
Last edited by dabral on 20 Aug 2023, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q51 V27
GMAT 3: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 4: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 5: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Bookmarks
dabral wrote:
Brian,

My best guess is that it does matter whether one misses an easy or a hard question. For example, if one misses one easy question in the quant section, then they will not get a Q51 for sure, whereas missing one or two hard questions can still guarantee a Q51.

Dabral

Yes, I think both the place of wrong questions and their difficulty (or ease) matter. But from my Exam 6 in EP2, I think the former is more important (especially 10 first questions)

I got a V36 with only 7 incorrect questions (3RC -> RC31, 2CR -> CR38, and 2 SC -> SC 44). In Exam 5, I still got V40 with 11 incorrect questions.

I got 1 incorrect question in the first 10 in both exams, but the noticeable difference was that the incorrect question in Exam 6 was the 1st one (a CR), while that in Exam 5 is the 6th (or 7th) one.

But again, I just do not understand how 3 RC incorrect questions led to a RC 31 even when 3 incorrect ones were not consecutive (2 in the second passage, and 1 in third passage) and when those 3 incorrect ones were not too easy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1423 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
tronghieu1987 wrote:
dabral wrote:
Brian,

My best guess is that it does matter whether one misses an easy or a hard question. For example, if one misses one easy question in the quant section, then they will not get a Q51 for sure, whereas missing one or two hard questions can still guarantee a Q51.

Dabral

Yes, I think both the place of wrong questions and their difficulty (or ease) matter. But from my Exam 6 in EP2, I think the former is more important (especially 10 first questions)

I got a V36 with only 7 incorrect questions (3RC -> RC31, 2CR -> CR38, and 2 SC -> SC 44). In Exam 5, I still got V40 with 11 incorrect questions.

I got 1 incorrect question in the first 10 in both exams, but the noticeable difference was that the incorrect question in Exam 6 was the 1st one (a CR), while that in Exam 5 is the 6th (or 7th) one.

But again, I just do not understand how 3 RC incorrect questions led to a RC 31 even when 3 incorrect ones were not consecutive (2 in the second passage, and 1 in third passage) and when those 3 incorrect ones were not too easy.

I have had a similar observation. I had 2 incorrect RC's and my RC score went down to 34 in (Overall score was 40) I Only had 5 incorrect answers. In another exam I had one wrong RC and my RC score was 41. For more you can read here -> interesting-observations-in-gmatprep-218582.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Duke '19 (M)
Send PM
Currently preparing for my 5th and final attempt at the GMAT in 2 weeks. I took Exam 5 yesterday under real conditions and scored a 700 Q47/V40. I will post my full breakdown of scores and thoughts once I do my full review later.

I scored a 7 in IR, my highest score ever. I found the IR much easier than what was on my last official GMAT.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2419 [2]

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
There's no way to know for sure, but I would surmise from experience that the issue is not necessarily whether the question you get wrong is easy or hard, but where on the test it appears.

First 1/3 of test = Very Important - The test makes huge adjustments in your score based on your answers.
Second 1/3 of test = Moderately Important - The test makes moderate adjustments in your score based on your answers.
Final 1/3 of test = Barely Important - Just make sure that you finish all the questions. At this point you are only fine-tuning your score, which is mostly decided already.

Getting an easy question wrong might appear to have a larger impact on your score than getting a hard question wrong, but this could be because of its location instead of its difficulty level. A hard question must be "earned" with several correct answers, but you might see an easy question after getting just one question wrong. The GMAT penalizes you severely for getting multiple questions in a row incorrect, and thus the easy question appears to be the culprit, when it has more to do with the fact that it's the 2nd question of the test and thus has a huge impact on your score.

If you get an easy question wrong early in the test, then that could take a long while to recover from, since the GMAT algorithm makes larger adjustments early in the test, thus impacting your score more. Whereas a hard question wrong later in the test, after you've already done well and thus earned yourself yet another hard question, is unlikely to make much of a dent in your score.

Conversely, if you get an easy question wrong later in the test (assuming it's not an experimental question), then it's because you're not doing well already, and this should not affect your score much.

To me, the answer seems to be that an easy question CAN be worth more points than a hard question, but not BECAUSE it's easy or hard. The real issue is QUESTION LOCATION: where the questions happen to appear chronologically.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I have given both the test of EP1. If I reset the test, is there any chance that I get NEW questions..??
Please suggest.
Tutor

Send PM
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Hi Experts / chetan2u,

I have given both the test of EP1. If I reset the test, is there any chance that I get NEW questions..??
Please suggest.

If you reset the test, then yes, you will definitely get new questions (there are 400 questions in the software but only 80 questions per test). You will likely get many repeats, but you will also get some new ones, because of the adaptive nature of the GMAT. You could help ensure that you get new questions by making note of the correct answers, and intentionally getting questions wrong (to access a slightly easier question) and intentionally getting questions right (to access a slightly harder question).

However, the essay / IR section will be exactly the same (IR is not adaptive), so I suggest just clicking through the IR answer choices to get to the Quant and Verbal, or just letting time expire if that's easier.

For more information check out this post I wrote.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 21 Jun 2016, 16:26.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 22 Jun 2016, 18:41, edited 3 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi mcelroytutoring / dabral,

Thanks for your response. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
Engr2012 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
dabral wrote:
Exam Pack 2 consists of two additional computer adaptive tests(CAT) that can be added to the official GMATPrep software. I have taken the Exam Pack 2 test multiple times and in this article I summarize my experience with Exam Pack 2. My comments are restricted to the quantitative section of the Exam Pack 2 only.

Database size: The database of quantitative questions in the Exam Pack 2 is around 220 questions. This is close to the 200 in Exam Pack 1 database.

Repetition: When I took Exam 5 once followed by Exam 6, I encountered one repeat question. This needs to be fixed because the whole idea of each test is to administer unique questions in the first attempt, and repetition of a question reduces the reliability of the test score. I understand that subsequent attempts will likely lead to repetition of the questions, but GMAC needs to ensure that there is no repetition between Exam 5 and Exam 6 on the first attempt.

Difficulty: Exam 5 quantitative section is significantly harder than Exam 6. This means the average difficulty of the questions I faced was much higher in Exam 5 vs Exam 6. For example, I had 12 minutes left at the end of Exam 5 compared to 20 minutes in the case of Exam 6. GMAT does have differences in difficulty level from test to test, however the difficulty level of an exam is normalized against other students, and the overall score of a particular student will be the same. The only difference is the actual test experience of the students, for example in Exam 5, I was under a lot of pressure and stress, whereas in Exam 6 I was fairly relaxed. That difference can impact students differently and can throw off the pacing during the exam. I personally would like to see GMAT test difficulty to be more or less the same for a given student that is performing at a given level.

Error:One question was written poorly and can be misinterpreted. I have attached the screenshot of that question. The numerator can be interpreted as cube of 2 multiplied by square root of 3, or 2 multiplied by cube root of 3. The test writers need to use a parentheses to clarify this.

Having pointed out some of the drawbacks of Exam Pack 2, I still like these two new tests and fully endorse these tests and urge students to make Exam Pack 2 an integral part of their GMAT preparation. With the release of Exam Pack 2, students now have six full length official practice tests at their disposal.

Hi dabral,

just a comment on the Ambiguous fraction..
I think it is clearly the second case-- 2 multiplied by cube root of 3..
the 3 is above the root and clearly responds to the root..
the two way it can be written is
\((2\sqrt[3]{3})^3\) and\((2^3\sqrt{3})^3\)

Clearly the Q is what first case is and exactly what it means..
There is always a difference of placement of 3 in both cases,,

chetan2u , dabral has a good point. To me as well the way the question is written, it is ambiguous. But then after spending 5-10 seconds, I can see if it is 2^3 then cubing this values will lead you to 2^9 and none of the options have that big of a number as the option. So it can not be that.

FYI, it is not as "clear" as you are making it out to be. The extra 5-10 seconds that I spent on figuring out the correct question may be the difference when I sit down for my GMAT.

GMAT has always been known to remove any sort of ambiguity be it technical or just representational.

Agreed, the question was confusing and spent around 3 minutes here because i was annoyed on how am i not able to get to the correct answer!! definitely impacted my score, was an easy fish to catch.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi , I recently gave the Exam Prep Pack 4 and scored a 660 . ( Q49 V 30 ) Was very surprised as I was scoring above 700 in Kaplan , How good is the Exam Prep Pack 2 Exam 5 Score ? I have my GMAT in 4 days , should I consider rescheduling my exam?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 80
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3
Send PM
nehajain1234 wrote:
Hi , I recently gave the Exam Prep Pack 4 and scored a 660 . ( Q49 V 30 ) Was very surprised as I was scoring above 700 in Kaplan , How good is the Exam Prep Pack 2 Exam 5 Score ? I have my GMAT in 4 days , should I consider rescheduling my exam?

Looks like you bombed the verbal for some reason. How are your scores in other GMAT Prep official mocks? i'd say give another shot to exam 6 in next 2 days. Don't reschedule just because you scored poorly on 1 mock. However, try to identify why score score was low - maybe it was timing issue or may be you were distracted. If you feel you are not comfortable at all in Verbal and will again score poorly - you might have to give it a thought. By now, you should be able to assess where you stand.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 580 Q45 V25
Send PM
Hello Experts,

Need your help to understand one aspect. I have taken Exam 5 and 6 of Exam pack 2 recently and on Exam 5, I scored a V37 and Exam 6 scored V30 and I did not encounter a single Bold-face question on both the tests. Then I reset the tests and retook Exam 5 and got a V46(higly inflated because ~50% were repeat questions) and still did not see a single bold-face question either.

Is it expected? How reliable are these scores?

Thanks
Madhuri
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Is it possible if my Parents in India purchase exam pack for me thru INR amount such that i can use it in U.S as i am currently residing here.

Thanks

dabral wrote:
Exam Pack 2 consists of two additional computer adaptive tests(CAT) that can be added to the official GMATPrep software. I have taken the Exam Pack 2 test multiple times and in this article I summarize my experience with Exam Pack 2. My comments are restricted to the quantitative section of the Exam Pack 2 only.

Database size: The database of quantitative questions in the Exam Pack 2 is around 220 questions. This is close to the 200 in Exam Pack 1 database.

Topic distribution: I have attached an image that shows the distribution of the questions in the database by topics. Please note that the distribution in the pool of the questions does not translate to the distribution in the test itself, it just gives one an idea of frequency. One other thing I noticed was that there were multiple problems that were almost identical in their set up. For example, three median questions with the same set up but different numbers, six rounding off question with the same type of set up, and several more. This is the first time I am seeing such a close replication of questions. I do know from experience that GMAT does repeat or reuse questions by slightly tweaking them, but not at this scale. This is one more reason I recommend practicing with official GMAT questions.

Repetition: When I took Exam 5 once followed by Exam 6, I encountered one repeat question. On closer inspection, I found that the questions were 99% identical, they were testing the exact same concept with the same answer. The only difference was the letter used for the variable, and one of the answer choices that was different. I think these two questions, although technically different but 99% identical, are a bad choice and at least one of them should be deleted.

Difficulty: Exam 5 quantitative section is significantly harder than Exam 6. This means the average difficulty of the questions I faced was much higher in Exam 5 vs Exam 6. For example, I had 12 minutes left at the end of Exam 5 compared to 20 minutes in the case of Exam 6. GMAT does have differences in difficulty level from test to test, however the difficulty level of an exam is normalized against other students, and the overall score of a particular student will be the same. The only difference is the actual test experience of the students, for example in Exam 5, I was under a lot of pressure and stress, whereas in Exam 6 I was fairly relaxed. That difference can impact students differently and can throw off the pacing during the exam. I personally would like to see GMAT test difficulty to be more or less the same for a given student that is performing at a given level.

Error: One question was written poorly and can be misinterpreted. I have omitted its description here. The test writers need to use a parentheses to clarify the order of operation. Of course, a similar mistake can happen in the exam. And the key thing to remember is not to let one question throw your flow in the exam.

Having pointed out some of the drawbacks of Exam Pack 2, I still like these two new tests and fully endorse these tests and urge students to make Exam Pack 2 an integral part of their GMAT preparation. With the release of Exam Pack 2, students now have six full length official practice tests at their disposal.

Cheers,
Dabral
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
chetan2u wrote:
dabral wrote:

Repetition: When I took Exam 5 once followed by Exam 6, I encountered one repeat question. This needs to be fixed because the whole idea of each test is to administer unique questions in the first attempt, and repetition of a question reduces the reliability of the test score. I understand that subsequent attempts will likely lead to repetition of the questions, but GMAC needs to ensure that there is no repetition between Exam 5 and Exam 6 on the first attempt.

Error:One question was written poorly and can be misinterpreted. I have attached the screenshot of that question. The numerator can be interpreted as cube of 2 multiplied by square root of 3, or 2 multiplied by cube root of 3. The test writers need to use a parentheses to clarify this.

Hi dabral,

just a comment on the Ambiguous fraction..
I think it is clearly the second case-- 2 multiplied by cube root of 3..
the 3 is above the root and clearly responds to the root..
the two way it can be written is
\((2\sqrt[3]{3})^3\) and\((2^3\sqrt{3})^3\)

Clearly the Q is what first case is and exactly what it means..
There is always a difference of placement of 3 in both cases,,

chetan2u , dabral has a good point. To me as well the way the question is written, it is ambiguous. But then after spending 5-10 seconds, I can see if it is 2^3 then cubing this values will lead you to 2^9 and none of the options have that big of a number as the option. So it can not be that.

FYI, it is not as "clear" as you are making it out to be. The extra 5-10 seconds that I spent on figuring out the correct question may be the difference when I sit down for my GMAT.

GMAT has always been known to remove any sort of ambiguity be it technical or just representational.

I wasted around 15 seconds figuring this out during the test. The moment I noticed it I felt so dumb.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2