GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Aug 2019, 04:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Saving the rainforests has been a classic environmental cause for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Tuck School Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Reviews Badge
Saving the rainforests has been a classic environmental cause for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2019, 18:26
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

based on 114 sessions

48% (03:19) correct 52% (03:15) wrong

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

based on 119 sessions

58% (01:08) correct 42% (01:02) wrong

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

based on 115 sessions

64% (01:04) correct 36% (01:11) wrong

New Project RC Butler 2019 - Practice 2 RC Passages Everyday
Passage # 107, Date : 26-MAR-2019
This post is a part of New Project RC Butler 2019. Click here for Details

Saving the rainforests has been a classic environmental cause for decades. Rainforests absorb large quantities of carbon dioxide from the air and make it suitable for human use. However, recent developments have started a debate that questions the endangered status of the rainforests. New “secondary” forests have been cropping up in tropical regions around the world. These new forests are growing in land that had been used for farming or logging but has lain fallow in recent years as farmers and rural dwellers migrate to the cities in search of better work and opportunities. Scientists are now debating the newfound benefits of the “secondary” forests and deciding whether they can be valid replacements for the old rainforest that is being destroyed daily.

The rainforests play a vital role in removing carbon dioxide, one of the main heat-trapping gasses and a major cause of global warming, from the air and turning it into oxygen by a process called photosynthesis. Photosynthesis occurs in two separate reactions. During the light reaction, chlorophyll and other pigments such as beta-carotene absorb slightly different lengths of light waves and transmit the energy to the central chlorophyll molecule. The energy collected from the light reaction is stored in molecules of ATP, which is similar in structure to the building blocks of human DNA. The ATP is used in the Calvin Cycle in combination with carbon dioxide to form complex sugars, giving off oxygen as a byproduct.

Some scientists believe that the new forests can supplement the waning number of rainforest foliage and absorb carbon dioxide in their place. One statistic says the new forests are replacing the destroyed areas at a rate of 50 to 1. Because of the heat and intense rainfall in these tropical areas, the new growth increases at an astounding rate and makes these new forests appear to the untrained eye as if they had flourished as rainforest for hundreds of years. Some scientists concerned with carbon emissions look at the emerging forests and conclude that they are suitable replacements. After all, the Mayans and other indigenous peoples cleared lands in the areas that are now clearly visible as lush rainforest.

Not all scientists agree that the “secondary” forests are a perfect solution. Although they agree that the new forestry can reduce carbon emissions, they argue that new forests do not possess all the same qualities as the primary rainforests. “Secondary” forests suffer from a notable difference in floristics and species diversity. Since the unused farmland is often situated hundreds of miles away from the native rainforests, species endangered by their destruction cannot benefit from the new growth in those areas. To this group of scientists, the ecosystems in the new forests are just not the same as those of a true rainforest.

1. Which of the following does the author suggest about species endangered by the destruction of the native rainforests?

A) They cannot reach the native rainforests from the new growth in unused farmland.
B) They cannot survive the journey from the native rainforests to the new forests.
C) They are not suited to the conditions in the new growth.
D) They cannot cope with human settlements that lie in their path to the new growth.
E) Animals must travel great distances in open farmland in order to move between native rainforests.

2. The third paragraph performs which of the following functions in the passage?

A) It refutes the evidence presented in the fourth paragraph.
B) It establishes the author's knowledgeability and, therefore, authority in this field of study.
C) It presents one side of a debate.
D) It supports the previous paragraphs by elaborating on the phenomenon described in the second paragraph.
E) It presents the new forests as a comprehensive solution to the rainforests problem.

3. According to the passage, what is one function of ATP?

A) It is part of the DNA molecule.
B) It creates complex sugars.
C) It stores the energy created in the light reaction.
D) It gives off oxygen as a byproduct.
E) It is used in the light reaction in combination with carbon dioxide to form complex sugars.

GPA: 3.39
Re: Saving the rainforests has been a classic environmental cause for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 01:59
+1 Kudos to posts containing answer explanation of all questions
For all GMAT Flashcards => Click here
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Saving the rainforests has been a classic environmental cause for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 04:38
Could anyone explain questi1
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2019, 06:51
aaggarwal191 wrote:
Could anyone explain questi1

I got the first 2 questions wrong.
But, I'll give it a try.
Let me know if I was wrong.

Mapping the Passage

P1: Saving the rainforests
CO2, endangered,
2nd forests on places of farming+logging, farmers migrate,
Scientists Debate on benefits

P2: RF remove CO2
Photosynthesis, 2 reactions, Light reaction,
Process, ATP, Calvin cycle

P3: new forests as supplement,
1 statistics pro, 50:1, rainfall, growth rate increases
Mayans and indigenous people

P4: Not all scientists pro.
no same qualities, variety difference,
unused farmlands far away, no benefit for species endangered
1 forest=/2 forest

1. Which of the following does the author suggest about species endangered by the destruction of the native rainforests?

Since the unused farmland is often situated hundreds of miles away from the native rainforests, species endangered by their destruction cannot benefit from the new growth in those areas
First of all, the species growth were in the rainforests not in the unused land. And as they are away, they won't be able to reach there.

A) They cannot reach the native rainforests from the new growth in unused farmland. Incorrect, It would have been correct, if the species had to reach the unused lands. It is sort of reversal.
B) They cannot survive the journey from the native rainforests to the new forests. - Okay, maybe. Don't know. Nothing was said about survival. Just because journey word is there we'll hold this option
C) They are not suited to the conditions in the new growth. - Incorrect, This sentence does not have anything related to the passage. No one talked about the conditions in the unused lands.
D) They cannot cope with human settlements that lie in their path to the new growth.- Incorrect, Human settlements? Nothing as such mentioned
E) Animals must travel great distances in open farmland in order to move between native rainforests. - Incorrect, Animals? Nothing as such mentioned

Eliminate D, E straight of.
Between A, B, C - For A, we need a keen eye.
B, according to me, even when there is nothing written about the survival/can not reach (as in A), because of the journey, we'll old the option.
C, Nothing about the conditions described in the entire passage

Answer -B
SajjadAhmad Please, Correct if me if I'm wrong in my explanations

2. The third paragraph performs which of the following functions in the passage?

P3: new forests as supplement,
1 statistics pro, 50:1, rainfall, growth rate increases
Mayans and indigenous people

P4: Not all scientists pro.
no same qualities, variety difference,
unused farmlands far away, no benefit for species endangered
1 forest=/2 forest

A) It refutes the evidence presented in the fourth paragraph. - Incorrect. Evidence? No such thing was discussed
B) It establishes the author's knowledgeability and, therefore, authority in this field of study. - Incorrect, The author was stating facts.
C) It presents one side of a debate. - Okay, Hold. P3: One side of Debate, P4: Another side of Debate
D) It supports the previous paragraphs by elaborating on the phenomenon described in the second paragraph. - Incorrect, It supports the previous paragraphs - yes, correct till here. then, by elaborating on the phenomenon described in the second paragraph. - phenomena were on Light reaction, P3: was focussed on secondary forests.
E) It presents the new forests as a comprehensive solution to the rainforests problem. - Incorrect, Comprehensive solution should be stated by the author or at least scientists and normally that should be in the end of the 4th para. But 3rd para was stating one side, 4th para stated the other. And like it or not, the end was just abrupt. No opinion whatsoever.

Answer- C

3. According to the passage, what is one function of ATP?

A) It is part of the DNA molecule. -Incorrect, The energy collected from the light reaction is stored in molecules of ATP, which is similar in structure to the building blocks of human DNA
B) It creates complex sugars.- Incorrect, The ATP is used in the Calvin Cycle in combination with carbon dioxide to form complex sugars
C) It stores the energy created in the light reaction.- Correct, The energy collected from the light reaction is stored in molecules of ATP,
D) It gives off oxygen as a byproduct.- Incorrect,giving off oxygen as a byproduct., that is after the combination.
E) It is used in the light reaction in combination with carbon dioxide to form complex sugars. - Incorrect, The ATP is used in the Calvin Cycle in combination with carbon dioxide to form complex sugars, It happens in another cycle, not in light.

I am struggling with RC, right now and I hope to improve. I am open to all suggestions.
1. I am trying to improve my mapping
2. I need help as I miss out terms in the passage and thus, I choose wrong answers. Let me know what I should do to improve it.
I want to score above 700+. I don't have people around me to advise me on GMAT. I would be grateful for any sort of help.
Thank you in advance.
Intern
Intern
B
Rainforest  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2019, 18:22
Saving the rainforests has been a classic environmental cause for decades. Rainforests absorb large quantities of carbon dioxide from the air and make it suitable for human use. However, recent developments have started a debate that questions the endangered status of the rainforests. New “secondary” forests have been cropping up in tropical regions around the world. These new forests are growing in land that had been used for farming or logging but has lain fallow in recent years as farmers and rural dwellers migrate to the cities in search of better work and opportunities. Scientists are now debating the newfound benefits of the “secondary” forests and deciding whether they can be valid replacements for the old rainforest that is being destroyed daily.

The rainforests play a vital role in removing carbon dioxide, one of the main heat-trapping gasses and a major cause of global warming, from the air and turning it into oxygen by a process called photosynthesis. Photosynthesis occurs in two separate reactions. During the light reaction, chlorophyll and other pigments such as beta-carotene absorb slightly different lengths of light waves and transmit the energy to the central chlorophyll molecule. The energy collected from the light reaction is stored in molecules of ATP, which is similar in structure to the building blocks of human DNA. The ATP is used in the Calvin Cycle in combination with carbon dioxide to form complex sugars, giving off oxygen as a byproduct.

Some scientists believe that the new forests can supplement the waning number of rainforest foliage and absorb carbon dioxide in their place. The new forests have the potential to supplement the waning number of rainforest foliage and absorb carbon dioxide in their place. One statistic says the new forests are replacing the destroyed areas at a rate of 50 to 1. Because of the heat and intense rainfall in these tropical areas, the new growth increases at an astounding rate and makes these new forests appear to the untrained eye as if they had flourished as rainforest for hundreds of years. Some scientists concerned with carbon emissions look at the emerging forests and conclude that they are suitable replacements. After all, the Mayans and other indigenous peoples cleared lands in the areas that are now clearly visible as lush rainforest.

Not all scientists agree that the “secondary” forests are a perfect solution. Although they agree that the new forestry can reduce carbon emissions, they argue that new forests do not possess all the same qualities as the primary rainforests. “Secondary” forests suffer from a notable difference in floristics and species diversity. Since the unused farmland is often situated hundreds of miles away from the native rainforests, species endangered by their destruction cannot benefit from the new growth in those areas. To this group of scientists, the ecosystems in the new forests are just not the same as those of a true rainforest.

According to the passage, the animal population of the "secondary" forests:
a.) is endangered
b.) is, according to some scientist, less valuable from an ecological point of view
c.) is not as diverse as that of primary rainforest
Senior RC Moderator
V
Saving the rainforests has been a classic environmental cause for  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2019, 20:25
Topic has been merged, please refer to the above post. Follow the rules when you are going to post any question on the forum. Click below link to read the RC Forum rules

https://gmatclub.com/forum/rc-forum-rul ... 55874.html

1. Search the topic before posting it, chances are high that your concerned topic has already been discussed.
2. If search result shows that topic is not available already then post it according to its respective forum rules.
3. Formatting an RC Passage is a little tough for new members, so if you are new at forum please tag any moderator to help you out there.
4. Incomplete passages or questions are not allowed to post (In your case question is not complete it has only three options).
5. Some passages with only one question though floating at the RC Forum but are not preferable to post, a worthy passage should have at least 3 questions.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Regards

Sajjad

bob8412 wrote:

Some scientists believe that the new forests can supplement the waning number of rainforest foliage and absorb carbon dioxide in their place. The new forests have the potential to supplement the waning number of rainforest foliage and absorb carbon dioxide in their place. One statistic says the new forests are replacing the destroyed areas at a rate of 50 to 1. Because of the heat and intense rainfall in these tropical areas, the new growth increases at an astounding rate and makes these new forests appear to the untrained eye as if they had flourished as rainforest for hundreds of years. Some scientists concerned with carbon emissions look at the emerging forests and conclude that they are suitable replacements. After all, the Mayans and other indigenous peoples cleared lands in the areas that are now clearly visible as lush rainforest.

According to the passage, the animal population of the "secondary" forests:
a.) is endangered
b.) is, according to some scientist, less valuable from an ecological point of view
c.) is not as diverse as that of primary rainforest

Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2019, 10:12
Hi SajjadAhmad LordStark

In Question 1 I chose (C) because here:

Since the unused farmland is often situated hundreds of miles away from the native rainforests, species endangered by their destruction cannot benefit from the new growth in those areas. To this group of scientists, the ecosystems in the new forests are just not the same as those of a true rainforest.

It is stated that since is often hundred of miles away from native, species endangered cannot benefit from new growth; To a group of scientists, the ecosystems in the new forests are just not the same as those of a true rainforest, so can't we assume that the conditions are not suited? (Answer (C))

A) They cannot reach the native rainforests from the new growth in unused farmland.
B) They cannot survive the journey from the native rainforests to the new forests.
D) They cannot cope with human settlements that lie in their path to the new growth.
E) Animals must travel great distances in open farmland in order to move between native rainforests.

Isnt it a big assumption to say that endangered species cannot survive the journey from the native rainforests? (Answer (B) )
Senior RC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2019, 02:11
When question is specific then keep your answer specific no need to generalize things without demand of the question.

Hope it helps

Mizar18 wrote:
Hi SajjadAhmad LordStark

In Question 1 I chose (C) because here:

Since the unused farmland is often situated hundreds of miles away from the native rainforests, species endangered by their destruction cannot benefit from the new growth in those areas. To this group of scientists, the ecosystems in the new forests are just not the same as those of a true rainforest.

It is stated that since is often hundred of miles away from native, species endangered cannot benefit from new growth; To a group of scientists, the ecosystems in the new forests are just not the same as those of a true rainforest, so can't we assume that the conditions are not suited? (Answer (C))

Isnt it a big assumption to say that endangered species cannot survive the journey from the native rainforests? (Answer (B) )

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V14
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 22:28
Quote:

B) It establishes the author's knowledgeability and, therefore, authority in this field of study.
D) It supports the previous paragraphs by elaborating on the phenomenon described in the second paragraph.
E) It presents the new forests as a comprehensive solution to the rainforests problem.

What if the question asks "what is the function of third paragraph to whole passage"?
can the answer be E
Please do reply. SajjadAhmad
V

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2019, 22:49
Hello SonGoku

Question does say that "what is the function of third paragraph to whole passage"? but official answer is C
See above explanation by AnmolSarah1

Regards

SonGoku wrote:
Quote:

What if the question asks "what is the function of third paragraph to whole passage"?
can the answer be E
Please do reply. SajjadAhmad

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Saving the rainforests has been a classic environmental cause for   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2019, 22:49

Saving the rainforests has been a classic environmental cause for

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics