GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Jun 2018, 22:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The dying old priest lay in his bed, listening to his disciples recite

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge
The dying old priest lay in his bed, listening to his disciples recite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 14:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:08) correct 43% (01:06) wrong based on 369 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The dying old priest lay in his bed, listening to his disciples recite sermons he wrote years earlier, and he prayed for salvation.

A) recite sermons he wrote years earlier, and he prayed
B) reciting sermons he had written years earlier, and he was praying
C) reciting sermons he had written years earlier praying
D) who were reciting sermons he had written years earlier, and he was praying
E) recite sermons he had written years earlier, and praying

Also checking for Tenses
:wave: Kudos are appreciated :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Re: The dying old priest lay in his bed, listening to his disciples recite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 14:30
E. He listened and prayed. Present perfect tense is optional here but is not incorrect.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you! Please give me a kudos if you like my post

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Operations, Economics
The dying old priest lay in his bed, listening to his disciples recite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 07:28
[quote="satsurfs"]The dying old priest lay in his bed, listening to his disciples recite sermons he wrote years earlier, and he prayed for salvation.

A) recite sermons he wrote years earlier, and he prayed - listening and prayed not parellel
B) reciting sermons he had written years earlier, and he was praying - "listening to disciples reciting" is wrong
C) reciting sermons he had written years earlier praying - same as B
D) who were reciting sermons he had written years earlier, and he was praying -too wordy
E) recite sermons he had written years earlier, and praying - no time mentioned, so use of past participial is correct, this construct is parallel (Correct)

Correct Answer: Option E

-----------------------------------------------------
+1 Kudos if this helped!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Persistence | Perseverance | Patience

+1 Kudos, if the post is helpful to you!!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B
Re: The dying old priest lay in his bed, listening to his disciples recite [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Nov 2017, 14:53
I have as question to SC gurus.
As far as I know the question source is expertsglobal
They marked it as easy within their scoring scale

Here the question has 45% of difficulty
However, according to the statistics 48% (01:01) correct 52% (01:12) wrong based on 122 sessions

doesn't it mean that the question is confusing and probably doesn't represent "real GMAT" style questions?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 04:35
cbh wrote:

However, according to the statistics 48% (01:01) correct 52% (01:12) wrong based on 122 sessions

doesn't it mean that the question is confusing and probably doesn't represent "real GMAT" style questions?

Why do you suppose that because a lot of people choose the wrong answer it is not real GMAT material ?

lets all unite to reach our target together

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 06:19
AweG wrote:
cbh wrote:

Why do you suppose that because a lot of people choose the wrong answer it is not real GMAT material ?

If you think about it, GMAC spends around $3000 per question, that includes developing question, answers, testing them within focus group. These online GMAT counselors and training centers, frankly, they don't have this opportunity, because in order to create real GMAT questions, you have to invest a lot.
And if math questions are easier to replicate - cuz it's math - it's not the same for critical thinking and reading comprehension questions, because many things depend how you formulate question, answer, a logical liaison between them that you have employed and so on. You have to think how to avoid any subjectivity in the process, otherwise this question might be logical for those who have the same or similar mindset, life experience, knowledge etc. as the questions' author but not for others.

That's why I think people often get confused with critical thinking and reading comprehension questions that have been created by 3rd party GMAT online services.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 08:21
cbh wrote:

If you search the forum there is a post of bunuel explaining how the questions are marked as difficult and so on

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
G

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 08:24
SunshineStories wrote:
satsurfs wrote:
The dying old priest lay in his bed, listening to his disciples recite sermons he wrote years earlier, and he prayed for salvation.

A) recite sermons he wrote years earlier, and he prayed - listening and prayed not parellel
B) reciting sermons he had written years earlier, and he was praying - "listening to disciples reciting" is wrong
C) reciting sermons he had written years earlier praying - same as B
D) who were reciting sermons he had written years earlier, and he was praying -too wordy
E) recite sermons he had written years earlier, and praying - no time mentioned, so use of past participial is correct, this construct is parallel (Correct)

Correct Answer: Option E

-----------------------------------------------------
+1 Kudos if this helped!

In b you mean that "his" should be removed from the sentence ?

VP
VP
D
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 17 Apr 2018, 11:33
satsurfs wrote:

We have a list here : - Dying priest did two things

1. listening to disciples 2. praying for salvation

A) recite sermons he wrote years earlier, and he prayed

B) reciting sermons he had written years earlier, and he was praying

C) reciting sermons he had written years earlier praying

D) who were reciting sermons he had written years earlier, and he was praying

E) recite sermons he had written years earlier, and praying

A. "Listening" is a participle, and "he prayed" is a clause"

B. "Listening" is a participle, and "he is praying" is a clause"

C. Modification error

D. "Listening" is a participle, and "he was praying" is a clause"

E. Correct - Listening and Praying

"Success is not as glamorous as people tell you. It's a lot of hours spent in the darkness."

Re: The dying old priest lay in his bed, listening to his disciples recite   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2018, 11:33

The dying old priest lay in his bed, listening to his disciples recite

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap