Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [10]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: General Management, Finance
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: The employees in our organization, unlike that in your organization [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
The employees in our organization, unlike that in your organization, are forbidden from discussing client names or activities outside the office.

The proper idiom for "Forbid" is: Forbid X to do Y
Forbid should take an infinitive

(A) unlike that in your organization, are forbidden from discussing Incorrect for 2 reasons. i) Employees is plural, so we need "those" and not that. ii) "Forbidden from" is incorrect idiom

(B) contrasted to ones in your organization, are forbidden to discussing Discussing is incorrect here. We need the verb discuss

(C) unlike them in your organization, are forbidden to discuss - when referring to a different set of employees, we need "those" and not "them". Incorrect

(D) unlike those in your organization, are forbidden to discuss Correct

(E) unlike the employees in your organization, are forbidden from discussing Incorrect. Wrong idiom

(D)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [3]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Re: The employees in our organization, unlike that in your organization [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The employees in our organization, unlike that in your organization, are forbidden from discussing client names or activities outside the office.

(A) unlike that in your organization, are forbidden from discussing -> "that" is a singular pronoun, we have "employees" is plural, So it is Subject verb agreement issue. Incorrect.

(B) contrasted to ones in your organization, are forbidden to discussing -> "to discussing" is incorrect.

(C) unlike them in your organization, are forbidden to discuss-> "them" is used in objective form, in general after verb. Incorrect.

(D) unlike those in your organization, are forbidden to discuss -> "those" is plural of "that and "those" refers back to "employees". So, comparison seems okay. Further, "forbidden to infinitive" is correct as well. Let's keep it.

(E) unlike the employees in your organization, are forbidden from discussing -> comparison seems okay. Now, Idiom is "forbidden from x to y"....We don't have "y". Incorrect.

So, I think D. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(A) unlike that in your organization, are forbidden from discussing

(B) contrasted to ones in your organization, are forbidden to discussing

(C) unlike them in your organization, are forbidden to discuss

(D) unlike those in your organization, are forbidden to discuss

(E) unlike the employees in your organization, are forbidden from discussing

I will go with 'The employees are forbidden from discussing'

IMO E
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Between, D and E, I applied the VAN rule. Verbs > Nouns (Gerunds). So D for me.

Posted from my mobile device
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [1]
Given Kudos: 1680
Send PM
Kudos

(A) unlike that in your organization, are forbidden from discussing Incorrect

comparison error - that is singular, the employees plural

(B) contrasted to ones in your organization, are forbidden to discussing Incorrect

idioms error - contrasted to

(C) unlike them in your organization, are forbidden to discuss Incorrect

them uses wrong

(D) unlike those in your organization, are forbidden to discuss Correct

(E) unlike the employees in your organization, are forbidden from discussing Incorrect

between D & E

E - the employees seems redundant, those is better
not sure about idioms - X forbidden from Y, seems correct
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
IMO, D.

(A) unlike that in your organization, are forbidden from discussing --Incorrect; there are 2 errors in the sentence - pronoun error as the singular pronoun 'that ' refers to plural employees and secondly, idiomatic error as the correct idiom is forbid X to Y, not forbid X from Y (-ing)

(B) contrasted to ones in your organization, are forbidden to discussing --Incorrect; idiomatic error as forbid X to y (-ing) is used and usage of contrasted to is awkward.

(C) unlike them in your organization, are forbidden to discuss --Incorrect; pronoun error as object form them is used to refer to employees.

(D) unlike those in your organization, are forbidden to discuss --Correct; plural those and the correct idiom forbid..to are used.

(E) unlike the employees in your organization, are forbidden from discussing - Incorrect; idiomatic error
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619237 [1]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
The employees in our organization, unlike that in your organization [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

(A) unlike that in your organization, are forbidden from discussing

(B) contrasted to ones in your organization, are forbidden to discussing

(C) unlike them in your organization, are forbidden to discuss

(D) unlike those in your organization, are forbidden to discuss

(E) unlike the employees in your organization, are forbidden from discussing

Official Explanation:

Answer: D

(A) Plural noun employees cannot be compared with that; we require those instead. Also, the correct idiom is forbidden to.

(B) Contrasted to is awkward and unidiomatic. Also, the correct expression is forbidden to discuss and not discussing.

(C) The use of them is incorrect; it should be those instead.

(D) The correct answer.

(E) The correct idiom is forbidden to and not forbidden from.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
AndrewN

Need you to chip in. Forbidden from doing something is also right. Am I correct in saying this ?? If yes, E should be our answer.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [2]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
warrior1991 wrote:
AndrewN

Need you to chip in. Forbidden from doing something is also right. Am I correct in saying this ?? If yes, E should be our answer.

Hello, warrior1991. Yes, forbidden from is perfectly acceptable, if not more commonly used to boot, at least in American English (the type tested on the GMAT™). With that said, I would still go with (D) here as the safer, more concise answer. That is, although there is nothing wrong with (E) grammatically, (D) conveys the same message using one fewer word. So the question really becomes, Is forbidden to a correct idiom? If the answer is yes, then (D) presents a more compelling case. I doubt the question would show up on the GMAT™, but that does not mean it cannot teach us anything.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me.

- Andrew
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts