Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [22]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [20]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 757 [2]
 Q50  V39
Send PM
Re: The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover fr [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Answer is clearly B

The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms - "after the appearance of" is not idiomatic. Also the word 'after' does not conver what the author intends to say.
(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared - idiomatic and clearly conveys the author's point
(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared - 'known' is wrongly used here....the author intends to say that few people are known to recover, not few 'known' people
(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease - same explanation as C
(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear - 'recovery is know' unidiomatic
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
 Q44  V22
Send PM
Re: The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover fr [#permalink]
I was left between B or C as both should be Independent Clauses..

But C is having few known people which changes the meaning. So the Ans is B..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Kudos
Yep C is indeed a change of meaning.

sag wrote:
I was left between B or C as both should be Independent Clauses..

But C is having few known people which changes the meaning. So the Ans is B..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:IU, UT Dallas, Univ of Georgia, Univ of Arkansas, Miami University
WE 1: 5.5 Yrs IT
Send PM
Hi serhio,
Can you please clarify? I think it is A, too. But I am not very sure why B is incorrect.

In option A, "..to recover" seems correct because it is a fact and is still true. The usage of "...to have recovered" in option B seems to refer to events in the past.
Also in B, "once" is used rather than "after" (I read somewhere that "after" is preferable). Additionally, "have appeared" should be simple past "appeared".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [3]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Kudos
2 reasons I feel A is wrong

1. Fear is well founded. Its based upon the past.
2. (A) few people are known to recover from the disease ---> You must exclude the people who have the symptoms now and still recovering – to make such a statement.

people are sampled from the past not the present. "have recovered from the disease" looks alright.

sjayasa wrote:
Hi serhio,
Can you please clarify? I think it is A, too. But I am not very sure why B is incorrect.

In option A, "..to recover" seems correct because it is a fact and is still true. The usage of "...to have recovered" in option B seems to refer to events in the past.
Also in B, "once" is used rather than "after" (I read somewhere that "after" is preferable). Additionally, "have appeared" should be simple past "appeared".
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
IMO "B"

a) changes the context when use "recover"

b. few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared - "good"
c. there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared - here "known people" says the writer knows the pple who have recovered
d. after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease - ditto.
e. recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear - this stmt say "few pple know the recovery"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 694 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
I narrowed it down to (A) or (B) and went with (A) because (B) seems needlessly wordy and clunky.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2929 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I am quoting from another source I found on a google search :

"I still feel B is the right choice. The sentence begins with a statement that the fear of rabies is well founded and the second part is trying to get evidence from past to substantiate why the fear if rabies is well founded - namely very few people are known to have recovered once the symptoms have fully appeared.

Option A makes it sound like there is a fixed set of people who are well known for their ability to recover from rabies (as if they do it multiple times just to prove their ability). e.g Spartans were known warriors.
Somehow the more i look at A, the more the message being conveyed by A gets unclear "

Other posts in the same forum claim that the OA is (b)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [3]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Kudos
IMO, B is correct.

This question tests us about "perfect infinitive - TO HAVE + PAST PARTICIPLE" vs "infinitive - TO + VERB"
Perfect infinitive mentions an action that happened in the past and still has its effect in present. However, infinitive mentions an action that happens in present or will happen, but DID NOT happen in the past.

For example: Mr. John is known to have worked for IBM since 1990.
What if we use a more concise sentence: Mr. John is known to work for IBM.
The difference is the first sentence mentions that Mr. John started working for IBM in 1990 and he still works the the company
The second sentence mentions that Mr. John is going to work for IBM. it changes the intended meaning.

When you see the PERFECT INFINITIVE, please make sure you checked the time of an action. If it happened in the past and still bear an effect in present ==> Perfect infinitive is correct, even the sentence is longer and not concise.

Back to the question, the first part is "The fear of rabies is well founded" ==> it provides the evidence that the action happened in the past. Clearly, in the second part, we cannot use infinitive-to recover. If there is no first part, the second part only maybe correct.

Between A & B, A is wrong for reason above. B is correct.

PS: You will see a lot of this structure - To have + P.P in real GMAT, because GMAT hopes you will pick a more concise sentence and get it wrong.

Hope it helps.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8553 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
dixitraghav wrote:
The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms
(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear

Tough and good question, IMO.

Before attack this question, there are some basic grammars we need to call in mind.

GRAMMARS:

1. FEW vs. A FEW?
- Few = not enough
- A few = small number

2. IDIOM: Known people OR people are know to ......
- Correct one is: "known to do something............."

3. The rule of thumb: V-A-N
- Verb > Adjective > Noun.
GMAT prefers the order Verb (no 1), Adjective (no 2) and Noun (no 3). If you can use verb, use it instead of adjective or noun.

ANSWER:

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms
Wrong. The structure is not as good as in B because (1) "the appearance" is noun form, thus it does not convey good meaning as verb form - "appear" does; (2) B has parallelism structure: "have recovered"// "have appeared".

(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
Correct. As explained above.

(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
Wrong. We want to convey "a small number of people" NOT "not enough people", thus "few people" is absolutely wrong. The correct structure is "there are A FEW people".

(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
Wrong. Same error as in C. We have to add "a" before "few people".

(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear
Wrong. Awkward structure. E changes main subject from "people" to "recovery".

Hope my post helps you to remind some basic grammars and "favorite" rules of GMAT.

Enjoy!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
mdacosta, here you go:

C) The use of "known people" is problematic here. It seems to be saying that of all "known people" in the world, there are few who have recovered. Our focus should be on whether the recovery (not the people) is known.

D) This repeats the problem in C, but makes it worse by misplacing the end modifier at the beginning. Now we're saying that this only the case "after symptoms appear." In other words, once symptoms appear (in us, perhaps?), there are no longer many people who have recovered.

E) The phrase "recovery . . . is known for only a few people" just doesn't work. We can't "know recovery" for people. Additionally, we have modifier trouble again. Again, it sounds like "after the clinical symptoms appear" is modifying when we know about these cases.

A good general takeaway from these cases is that while we have some freedom in where we place adverbial modifiers (unlike noun modifiers, they don't have to touch the thing they're modifying), we still need to be very careful with their placement. Structure and position can make a big difference in how we interpret the meaning of these modifiers, and we often end up with nonsense!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM

Meaning analysis: Since the underlined part of the sentence comes after a ; it becomes an independent clause. In this underlined clause the sentence intends to say that there are very few people who are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have set in. POE is as follows:

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms. (illogical meaning. This choice means that there are few people who have recovered from the disease. Incorrect)
(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared (Correctly conveys the meaning, correct use of known to have recovered.Best choice)
(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared (illogical meaning. This choice conveys that there few known people (known to whom?) who have recovered from the disease. Incorrect.)
(D) after the clinical symptoms appear,there are few known people who have recovered from the disease (Same error in meaning as in C)
(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear (Illogical meaning. Incorrect)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts