It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 06:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The growing of coffee beans in South America is done in a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida

Kudos [?]: 942 [4], given: 630

Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
The growing of coffee beans in South America is done in a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:42) correct 33% (01:50) wrong based on 523 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

New project from GMAT Club! Click here

The growing of coffee beans in South America is done in a time-honored but also time-consuming fashion. A new method of growing coffee beans, tried while introducing the growing of coffee beans to new regions in Africa, is much less time-consuming. A group of entrepreneurs has decided to employ farmers in South America, seasoned in the art of coffee bean growing, while applying the new method. The entrepreneurs believe that using the new method will significantly shorten the growing time and, therefore, reduce the growing costs within the first year.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the conclusion drawn by the group of entrepreneurs?

A. It will always cost more money to grow coffee beans in South America than in Africa due to the difference in employee wages.

B. When introduced to regions in Africa where coffee had never been grown, a farming crew was assembled within a fortnight and the new method was inculcated surprisingly quickly.

C. The more the farmer is used to an agricultural method, the longer it takes that farmer to internalize and efficiently use another.

D. A third method, already used in certain parts of the Caribbean, has been shown to be more efficient and cost effective than the proposed African method.

E. In some regions in Africa, organizing consistent sources of irrigation is problematic.

OE to follow
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by dentobizz on 01 Nov 2013, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
editing for the CR project

Kudos [?]: 942 [4], given: 630

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8109 [1], given: 99

Re: The growing of coffee beans in South America is done in a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
avohden wrote:
The growing of coffee beans in South America is done in a time-honored but also time-consuming fashion. A new method of growing coffee beans, tried while introducing the growing of coffee beans to new regions in Africa, is much less time-consuming. A group of entrepreneurs has decided to employ farmers in South America, seasoned in the art of coffee bean growing, while applying the new method. The entrepreneurs believe that using the new method will significantly shorten the growing time and, therefore, reduce the growing costs within the first year.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the conclusion drawn by the group of entrepreneurs?

A. It will always cost more money to grow coffee beans in South America than in Africa due to the difference in employee wages.

B. When introduced to regions in Africa where coffee had never been grown, a farming crew was assembled within a fortnight and the new method was inculcated surprisingly quickly.

C. The more the farmer is used to an agricultural method, the longer it takes that farmer to internalize and efficiently use another.

D. A third method, already used in certain parts of the Caribbean, has been shown to be more efficient and cost effective than the proposed African method.

E. In some regions in Africa, organizing consistent sources of irrigation is problematic.

Dear avohden,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First, here's a blog on weakening arguments:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/how-to-wea ... reasoning/
Hmm. I don't know whether I like this question. Here's my analysis.

(A) It will always cost more money to grow coffee beans in South America than in Africa due to the difference in employee wages.
OK, the relevant comparison in the argument is what they have been doing in South America vs. what they could be doing in South America. It's not about South America vs. Africa. Perhaps using the new method in SA will be more expensive than using this same new method in Africa, but as long as it's cheaper than the old method in SA, then the using the new method instead would save time & money.

(B) When introduced to regions in Africa where coffee had never been grown, a farming crew was assembled within a fortnight and the new method was inculcated surprisingly quickly.
This is a strengthener.

(C) The more the farmer is used to an agricultural method, the longer it takes that farmer to internalize and efficiently use another.
OK, hmmm. So, if farmer P has used the agricultural method for 2 years, and farmer Q has used the agricultural method for 30 years, then Q will take longer to learn than new method than will P, but how much longer? Are we talking about 2 days vs. 30 days? 2 weeks vs. 30 weeks? 2 months vs. 30 months? This could be a weakener, but the timescale of the learning lag is very much in doubt.

(D) A third method, already used in certain parts of the Caribbean, has been shown to be more efficient and cost effective than the proposed African method.
Irrelevant. A classical tempting wrong answer pattern --- in an argument that X would work better than Y, any answer choice that introduces Z is irrelevant to this particular argument. In the larger scheme, this might be very relevant to the entrepreneurs, but it's not relevant to this particular argument.

(E) In some regions in Africa, organizing consistent sources of irrigation is problematic.
Irrelevant. We are talking about introducing a new plan to South America.

So, hmmm. Four of the answers can be eliminated, and this leaves (C), but (C) leaves me with a kind of queasy feeling --- it doesn't inspire the kind of confidence that I would like to see in a correct answer on a GMAT CR question. It's not clear to me that practicing on questions such as this will bolster your performance on the GMAT.

Here are some higher quality GMAT CR questions:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/more-gmat- ... questions/

I hope all this helps.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Kudos [?]: 8109 [1], given: 99

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 952 [1], given: 321

GPA: 3.4
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2013, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
mikemcgarry wrote:
avohden wrote:

Dear avohden,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First, here's a blog on weakening arguments:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/how-to-wea ... reasoning/

Hi Mike,Thanks for the blog post. We have already included it in our Concept articles for weakening the argument questions here

How to select your BSchool?
General Mistakes to Avoid on the GMAT
TOP 10 articles on Time Management on the GMAT
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum

Kudos [?]: 952 [1], given: 321

Director
Director
Affiliations: University of Florida

Kudos [?]: 942 [0], given: 630

Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2013, 20:28
Official Explanation

Answer C
- This choice weakens the entrepreneurs' conclusion by showing a difference between the African case and the South American case. Africans in the regions where the new method was introduced were not used to other methods and therefore didn't have to "unlearn" them whereas the South Americans in question are very much used to doing things the old way. Therefore, time may not be saved and the costs wouldn't be reduced, at least not for the first year. The inherent flaw in this argument is that the system was proven to be quicker with untrained workers, but the South American growers are already trained in their own method.

To solve this Conclusion Weakening question, first break down the argument. The first 3 sentences are premises providing factual data. The last sentence uses the conclusion conjunction therefore, and is the entrepreneurs' conclusion:

Premise A:

South American coffee bean growing has been around a long time although the method used is not the most efficient.
+

Premise B:

in Africa, in places where coffee had never been grown, a new growing method was tried which proved to be very efficient
+

Premise C:

entrepreneurs wish to use the new method in South America with the experienced farmers
=

Conclusion:

when the South American farmers use the new method, production time and cost will be reduced

Possible assumption:

the experienced farmers will have no problem using the new method

Weakening Data:

?
You are required to find data that weakens the conclusion that using the new method with South American farmers will be more efficient. The correct answer could be one that exposes the argument's assumption.

Kudos [?]: 942 [0], given: 630

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 41

Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2014, 06:48
Close choice between A and C .
Went with A only to realize i choose the wrong answer.
For A my thinking was the cost is more in South america then south Africa . But on second thought realized that it was based on wages and the passage does not talk about it .

Then i realized C was the correct choice simply because of the phrase "Time-honored" - Something which is being done for ages so to unlearn the process for South america farmers would be longer then south African farmers bingo here we have the answer .

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 41

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 18:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 733

GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 18:56
this is a common pattern in gmat, test takers should learn this.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 733

Re: The growing of coffee beans in South America is done in a   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2017, 18:56