Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3067 [68]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [5]
 Q50  V45
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [3]
 Q46  V48
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: The idea of building “New Towns” to absorb growth is frequently consid [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
hi,appreciate your help :-)
I agree with your reasoning.But that is not my question
I wonder why (ii) is incorrect in question #3 as the OA is (A).

Hi,

As explained by one of our friends above, this option is slightly on the difficult side.

It says it will divert residents from exciting cities. Which residents? Low income or high income? This thing is not clear.

Let's say this option meant Low income, in that case it would be good for the cities while the same is not true the other way round.

I hope that makes sense. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2761 [2]
Send PM
Re: The idea of building “New Towns” to absorb growth is frequently consid [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
I thought 3 could be E.
Look at this period: Such ill-considered projects not only will fail to relieve pressures on existing cities but will, in fact, tend to weaken those cities further by drawing away high-income citizens and increasing the concentration of low-income groups that are unable to provide tax income. The remaining taxpayers......

It seems that the tax base will lower, that some residents will go away and that it will be a concentration of low income groups....so why is it A and not E?

Moreover, could someone explain me the eigth question? Please, more passages like this!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
Radhika11 wrote:
would someone explain why in Q3, stmt 2 is not considered in the answer ?

Because if new towns were able to divert the residents from existing ones then the problem would have been solved.
"Such ill-considered projects not only will fail to relieve pressures on existing cities but will, in fact, tend to weaken those cities further"

Regards,
Appy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
souvikgmat1990 wrote:
Any idea why option C. I and II is incorrect in Question 3.
In the passage it clearly says:

Such ill-considered projects not only will fail to relieve pressures on existing cities but will, in fact, tend to weaken those cities further by drawing away high-income citizens and increasing the concentration of low-income groups that are unable to provide tax income.

I would think high-income citizens are sub-set of the residents of the city.
Would like to see the official explanation from Manhattan on this.

In the paragraph it says that the suburbs will tend to drive away high income citizens. But the option says it will drive away residents of the city. Now residents can include both low as well as high income. High income are small subset of residents. Hence cannot be use to justify the option. For eg: if we say people of New-York don't like football can be generalize it to say all the people of USA don't like football. Hence II is incorrect.

Hope the explanation clarifies your doubt.

Please give kudos if you like the explanation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Kudos
jlgdr wrote:
Insufficiently Innovative? Give me a break!!

Makes perfect sense
FROM THE PASSAGE :- "Federal regulations designed to promote the New Town idea do not consider social needs as the European New Town plans do. In fact, our regulations specify virtually all the ingredients of the typical suburban community, with a bit of political rhetoric thrown in."

Essentially just a overrated suburb and not with an ounce of originality in, social concern or actual urban problem. American policymaker just take a suburban model, add some stupid political agenda and political speech about society and blah blah to it to it and then assumed/pretended that they created a new town.

Originally posted by LogicGuru1 on 24 Jun 2016, 02:43.
Last edited by LogicGuru1 on 07 Sep 2016, 05:35, edited 2 times in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Can someone please explain why Statement 2 in question 3 is incorrect?

Statement 2: The will divert residents from existing cities to other areas.

We are already given in the passage that

Such ill-considered projects not only will fail to relieve pressures on existing cities but will, in fact, tend to weaken those cities further by drawing away high-income citizens

I think this means the same what option B is saying.

Please confirm.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V30
Send PM
Kudos
abhimahna wrote:
Can someone please explain why Statement 2 in question 3 is incorrect?

Statement 2: The will divert residents from existing cities to other areas.

We are already given in the passage that

Such ill-considered projects not only will fail to relieve pressures on existing cities but will, in fact, tend to weaken those cities further by drawing away high-income citizens

I think this means the same what option B is saying.

Please confirm.

3. According to the author, ill-considered New Towns will tend to weaken existing cities in which of the following ways?
II. The will divert residents from existing cities to other areas. This option would weaken existing city if it explicitly stated high income citizens instead of residents because residents could include low income citizens. Also other areas is not specified. Other areas could be another Urban city which will not make any difference.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
arvind910619 wrote:
Hi,

Can any one explain why Question 3 has A as answer.
Please throw some light behind the reasoning of the answer.

Hi,

These lines answer your question.

Such ill-considered projects not only will fail to relieve pressures on existing cities but will, in fact, tend to weaken those cities further by drawing away high-income citizens and increasing the concentration of low-income groups that are unable to provide tax income.

So, if they are unable to pay tax, it means "They will cause an erosion in the tax base of existing cities."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
Kudos
3. According to the author, ill-considered New Towns will tend to weaken existing cities in which of the following ways?
I. They will cause an erosion in the tax base of existing cities.
II. The will divert residents from existing cities to other areas.
III. They will increase the number of low-income residents in existing cities.
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

II. is not the answer as it would be sagacious to infer that, New Towns would not divert all the existing residents. Only high income residents who no longer consider that place matches their status would migrate to other cities.
III. Proportion and not the actual number of low income residents is going to increase, hence III can't be selected.

So A) is the answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
The idea of building “New Towns” to absorb growth is frequently consid [#permalink]
Kudos
SaumyaMukh wrote:
bm2201, For question 8, why is it option A and not B? Option A only touches the last para. Option B summarises overall passage. So shouldn't primary purpose be based on overall passage vs specific para?

junii wrote:
bm2201 Can anybody explain Q2 in detail
I chose Option E

PrachiMaloo wrote:
bm2201,
Can anyone explain questions 5,7 and 8 plz?

Hi SaumyaMukh, junii, PrachiMaloo,

2. The author believes that New Towns are not being built where they are genuinely needed because

(A) the government offers developers incentives to build in other areas
(B) the promoters of New Town are motivated chiefly by self-interest
(C) few people want to live in areas where land is still cheap
(D) no studies have been done to determine the best locations
(E) federal regulations make construction in those areas less profitable

Explanation: can be inferred from the lines: "The promoters of New Towns so far in the United States have been developers, builders, and financial institutions. The main interest of these promoters is economic gain. Furthermore, federal regulations designed to promote the New Town idea do not consider social needs as the European New Town plans do. ", implying that the promoters of New Town are motivated chiefly by self-interest and do not consider social needs as European New Town plans do and will mostly encourage developments in areas where land is cheap and construction profitable rather than where New Towns are genuinely needed.

7. It can be inferred from the passage that the author considers the present American New Town formula to be

(A) thoroughly considered
(B) insufficiently innovative
(C) potentially workable
(D) overly restrictive
(E) financially sound

Explanation : We can answer this using PoE, as other options are clearly not what's mentioned in the passage, thus the best answer would be (B). Option B can also be inferred from the lines: "Furthermore, federal regulations designed to promote the New Town idea do not consider social needs as the European New Town plans do. In fact, our regulations specify virtually all the ingredients of the typical suburban community, with a bit of political rhetoric thrown in.", implying that even though the plans have been thought upon too much, still are not considered workable.

8. The author of the passage is primarily concerned with

(A) arguing for a change in policy
(B) exploring the implications of novel idea
(C) comparing and contrasting two manifestations of the same phenomenon
(D) proposing a radically new solution to an old problem
(E) summarizing recent research on a topic

Explanation: Throughout the passage, author talks about the New Towns plans and how it is further and equally erroneously assumed that since European New Towns have been financially and socially successful, we can expect the same sorts of results in the United States. The author continues to argue the idea by mentioning the downsides and how the plan would not impact where it is genuinely needed and concludes the passage asking for a change in the policy. Thus A is the correct answer.
B is incorrect as the author is not exploring the implications of novel idea, instead the author is arguing something that was successful in Europe will probably not be so in the US.

For Question 5, please refer my previous reply here:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-idea-of-building-new-towns-to-absorb-growth-is-frequently-consid-56604.html#p2666856

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
Hi,
Can anyone explain #3?
I wonder why not (C).It is mentioned that ill-considered projects will weaken the existing cities further by drawing away high-income citizens.

Thanks

Hi,

If high income citizens move from the cities, the proportion of low income citizens would increase rather than the number.

Let's say we have 25 low income and 75 high income citizens. Proportion of Low income = 25/100 = 1/4.

But now, say 50 high income citizens moved away. Proportion of Low income = 25/50 = 1/2.

So, even if the low income citizens remain the same, we have their proportion increased and not the actual number.

I hope that makes sense. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
Akshit03 wrote:
vivekdixit07 wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
C
B
C
A
A
C
C
A

For 7 i was downt to B and C and just guessed. I can see why either could be correct here and i really am not gunna argue why C is incorrect.

However, question 3... I cannot see how this is A. It doesnt make any sense actually.

III. They will increase the number of low-income residents in existing cities.
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

"tend to weaken those cities further by drawing away high-income citizens and increasing the concentration of low-income groups that are unable to provide tax income. The remaining taxpayers, accordingly, will face increasing burdens, and industry and commerce will seek escape. Unfortunately, this mechanism is already at work in some metropolitan areas. "

E is def incorrect, it just says the proportion of low income residents will increase not the actual amount of people. so III is out.

Now I and II, it states in the passage that people will be drawn away so why is II not correct????

As quoted by you above, author nowhere mentions that it will divert "residents" . It does mention " drawing away high income citizens" but these citizens are just a part of city residents"

Drawing away income citizens is same as diverting them, If they are drawn away, then it means the city is diverting them. I don't see why 2 should be wrong as per my understanding. Can you explain?

The will divert residents from existing cities to other areas is not accurate ...

Per the passage -- its only a problem if financial well off people leave from existing cities

Per option II -- it doesn't say which kind of residents ...if it said "rich citizens" then option II is right ...but given it doesn't state that ...its plausible that the residents being discussed are poor ..

The passage does NOT comment on if poor people leave the city for another location ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 271
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GPA: 3.8
Send PM

"but will, in fact, tend to weaken those cities further by drawing away high-income citizens and"
means diverting residents. Why option II is incorrect then
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Any idea why option C. I and II is incorrect in Question 3.
In the passage it clearly says:

I would think high-income citizens are sub-set of the residents of the city.
Would like to see the official explanation from Manhattan on this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quote:
6. It can be inferred from the passage that the author believes
which of the following about suburbs?
(A) They are a panacea for urban problems.
(B) They will soon be plagued by the same problems that now plague cities.
(C) They are poor models for New Towns.
(D) They drive up property values in inner cities.
(E) They alleviate some, but not all, of America’s urban problems

Dear Experts AjiteshArun SajjadAhmad Abhi077, Kindly help with this question.
It is mentioned nowhere that suburbs are poor models of New Towns.

Present planning, thinking, and legislation will not produce the kinds of New Town that have been successful abroad. It will multiply suburbs or encourage developments in areas where land is cheap and construction profitable rather than where New Towns are genuinely needed.
Above statement suggest suburbs alleviate some urban problems, thus E could be the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
kindly explain question number 5
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Anshuman0902 wrote:
kindly explain question number 5

5. The author’s tone in discussing “developers, builders, and financial institutions” (Highlighted) can best be described as

(A) critical
(B) pedantic
(C) evasive
(D) captious
(E) vitriolic

Explanation: The author discusses “developers, builders, and financial institutions”, when he talks about promoters of New Towns. Throughout the passage, the author can be seen critical of the New Towns and mentions that the main interest of these promoters is economic gain. Author's tone is not pedantic or precise, evasive. He can be seen criticizing the New Towns Projects, as he feels that since European New Towns have been financially and socially successful, we cannot expect the same sorts of results in the United States and any such assumptions are incorrect.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts