GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Aug 2019, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The numbers {a, b,c} are three positive integers - Problem solving

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.08
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
The numbers {a, b,c} are three positive integers - Problem solving  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 06:17
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:33) correct 49% (01:12) wrong based on 73 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The numbers {a, b,c} are three positive integers. If (a * b * c)/14 equals an integer and (b * c)/4 equals an integer, what is the smallest possible integer value of a?

A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 7
E. 14
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Ross '22, ISB '20, NUS '20
GPA: 4
Re: The numbers {a, b,c} are three positive integers - Problem solving  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 06:23
Least values of a,b,c can be 1,2,7....for a*b*c/14 is an integer and for b*c/4 least values of b,c can be (1,4)(4,1)(2,2)

From above least value of a=7 then b,c can be any of them which satisfies both the equations.....correct me if I'm wron?

Posted from my mobile device
B
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.08
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The numbers {a, b,c} are three positive integers - Problem solving  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2019, 06:45
madgmat2019 wrote:
Least values of a,b,c can be 1,2,7....for a*b*c/14 is an integer and for b*c/4 least values of b,c can be (1,4)(4,1)(2,2)

From above least value of a=7 then b,c can be any of them which satisfies both the equations.....correct me if I'm wron?

Posted from my mobile device

madgmat2019, I had the same solution as your, but the OA is A. I do not understand the official explanation. Hope someone can help.

--------

TEXT EXPLANATION

This problem is about divisibility. If we want a to be as small as possible, then it would make sense to "take care" of all the divisibility issues with the second fraction, so that there are no requirements that a has to fulfill.

For example, let b = 4 and c = 14, the values of the two denominators. Then

\(\frac{(b * c)}{4}\) = \(\frac{(4 * 14)}{4}\) = 14

So, these choices for b and c satisfy the second condition. Now, look at the first fraction:

\(\frac{(a * b * c)}{14}\)= \(\frac{(a * 4 * 14)}{14}\) = a * 4

The choices we made for b & c allow us to cancel the denominators, so the only requirement now is that a * 4 is an integer. Well, any integer times 4 is still an integer, so that's really no requirement at all. The value a can be any positive integer, so we can make it the smallest positive integer.

a = 1

Answer: (A)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
The numbers {a, b,c} are three positive integers - Problem solving  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2019, 13:49
The statement does not say the integers but be one digit.

Then a could be 1

B could be 28 and C could be 1 also.

Or

A= 1, B=7, C=4
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2019, 11:49
jfranciscocuencag wrote:
The statement does not say the integers but be one digit.

Then a could be 1

B could be 28 and C could be 1 also.

Or

A= 1, B=7, C=4

Actually, it does say that a is an integer...
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 12 Aug 2019, 09:50
Condition 1 - (a*b*c) is divisible by 14 implies (a*b*c) is divisible by (1*7*2) or (1*1*14)

Condition 2 - (b*c) is divisible by 4 implies (b*c) is divisible by (2*2) or (4*1)

Consider (a*b*c) = 28
Since we have to minimize a, maximize b and c. So (b*c) can be = 28 which satisfy condition 1 and condition 2. Hence a can take the least value which is 1.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The numbers {a, b,c} are three positive integers - Problem solving   [#permalink] 12 Aug 2019, 09:50

The numbers {a, b,c} are three positive integers - Problem solving

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics