Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 18:18 It is currently 09 May 2024, 18:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33485 [27]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 169 [9]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33485 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [2]
Given Kudos: 51
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: The pioneers of the teaching of science imagined that its introduction [#permalink]
Kudos
The pioneers of the teaching of science imagined that its introduction into education would remove the conventionality, artificiality, and backward-lookingness which were characteristic; of classical studies, but they were gravely disappointed. So, too, in their time had the humanists thought that the study of the classical authors in the original would banish at once the dull pedantry and superstition of mediaeval scholasticism. The professional schoolmaster was a match for both of them, and has almost managed to make the understanding of chemical reactions as dull and as dogmatic an affair as the reading of Virgil's Aeneid. The chief claim for the use of science in education is that it teaches a child something about the actual universe in which he is living, in making him acquainted with the results of scientific discovery, and at the same time teaches him how to think logically and inductively by studying scientific method.

A certain limited success has been reached in the first of these aims, but practically none at all in the second. Those privileged members of the community who have been through a secondary or public school education may be expected to know something about the elementary physics and chemistry of a hundred years ago, but they probably know hardly more than any bright boy can pick up from an interest in wireless or scientific hobbies out of school hours. As to the learning of scientific method, the whole thing is palpably a farce. Actually, for the convenience of teachers and the requirements of the examination system, it is necessary that the pupils not only do not learn scientific method but learn precisely the reverse, that is, to believe exactly what they are told and to reproduce it when asked, whether it seems nonsense to them or not.

The way in which educated people respond to such quackeries as spiritualism or astrology, not to say more dangerous ones such as racial theories or currency myths, shows that fifty years of education in the method of science in Britain or Germany has produced no visible effect whatever. The only way of learning the method of science is the long and bitter way of personal experience, and, until the educational or social systems are altered to make this possible, the best we can expect is the production of a minority of people who are able to acquire some of the techniques of science and a still smaller minority who are able to use and develop them.

Para1: though ideally it is, the old-style teaching method of science are not as easily to revolutionized as we originally thought, however, the author still urge the need in educational system to change the method they adopt for teaching science.

Para2: this part of article states that there’s still a long way we need to overcome to achieve the improvement to the teaching method of science

Para3: to reiterate the problems mention in the above paragraphs, the passage then recommend a remedy for solving the issue, in that the educational system should emphasize more on the practical side of the science study

1. The author implies that the professional schoolmaster has

The professional schoolmaster was a match for both of them, and has almost managed to make the understanding of chemical reactions as dull and as dogmatic an affair as the reading of Virgil's Aeneid.

A. no interest in teaching science
B. thwarted attempts to enliven education

….correct

C. aided true learning
D. supported the humanists
E. been a pioneer in both science and humanities.

2. The authors apparently believes that secondary and public school education in the sciences is

A. severely limited in its benefits

…..correct
Those privileged members of the community who have been through a secondary or public school education may be expected to know something about the elementary physics and chemistry of a hundred years ago, but they probably know hardly more than any bright boy can pick up from an interest in wireless or scientific hobbies out of school hours. ….this very clearly, is an attack to the school education system

B. worse than that in the classics
C. grossly incompetent
D. a stimulus to critical thinking
E. deliberately obscurantist

3. If the author were to study current education in science to see how things have changed since he wrote the piece, he would probably be most interested in the answer to which of the following questions?

Those privileged members of the community who have been through a secondary or public school education may be expected to know something about the elementary physics and chemistry of a hundred years ago, but they probably know hardly more than any bright boy can pick up from an interest in wireless or scientific hobbies out of school hours. As to the learning of scientific method, the whole thing is palpably a farce. Actually, for the convenience of teachers and the requirements of the examination system, it is necessary that the pupils not only do not learn scientific method but learn precisely the reverse, that is, to believe exactly what they are told and to reproduce it when asked, whether it seems nonsense to them or not.

A. Do students know more about the world about them?
B. Do students spend more time in laboratories?

whether the science education indeed arouse the interest among the students, to which they would spend more out-of-school scientific activities, but “laboratory” here doesn’t be defined very specifically as an out-of-school or in-school works

C. Can students apply their knowledge logically?

….correct

The chief claim for the use of science in education is that it teaches a child something about the actual universe in which he is living, in making him acquainted with the results of scientific discovery, and at the same time teaches him how to “think logically” and inductively by studying scientific method. ...this sentence states this very clearly

D. Have textbooks improved?
E. Do they respect their teachers?

4. All of the following can be inferred from the text EXCEPT

A. at the time of writing, not all children received a secondary school education

“Those privileged members of the community who have been through a secondary or public school education may be expected to know something about the elementary physics and chemistry of a hundred years ago”
….. from sentence, we see that at the time of writing, only those privileged people could afford a secondary education

B. the author finds chemical reactions interesting

“The professional schoolmaster was a match for both of them, and has almost managed to make the understanding of chemical reactions as dull and as dogmatic an affair as the reading of Virgil's Aeneid.”
….. the author here use a irony tone to express his opinion in that chemical reaction, which is so interesting a subject as it should be, become a boring knowledge under the education system

C. science teaching has imparted some knowledge of facts to some children

Those privileged members of the community who have been through a secondary or public school education may be expected to know something about the elementary physics and chemistry of a hundred years ago, but they probably know hardly more than “any bright boy” can pick up from an interest in wireless or scientific hobbies out of school hours.
….from sentence, we see that “privileged members of the community” and “any bright boy” are only a subset group of people who learn the science knowledge among the larger group of students and kid when the writer writes this article, and the science teaching, still, fails to arouse the interest to those children

Actually, for the convenience of teachers and the requirements of the examination
system, it is necessary that the pupils not only do not learn scientific method but learn precisely the reverse, that is, to believe exactly what they are told and to reproduce it when asked, whether it seems nonsense to them or not.
….science teaching doesn’t improve in itself and fail to impart the schooling that can arouse the interest to children, and (C) would be correct if we change “science teaching has imparted some knowledge of facts to some children” to “science teaching fail to impart some knowledge of facts to some children”

D. the author believes that many teachers are authoritarian

“it is necessary that the pupils not only do not learn scientific method but learn precisely the reverse, that is, to believe exactly what they are told and to reproduce it when asked, whether it seems nonsense to them or not.”
…. students always do what the teacher told them to do, this is an “authoritative” way of teaching

E. it is relatively easy to learn scientific method

…. correct,
“The only way of learning the method of science is the long and bitter way of personal experience”… from this we could infer that learning scientific method are not as easy as one might thought

Originally posted by mimishyu on 04 Apr 2021, 09:21.
Last edited by mimishyu on 05 Apr 2021, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [1]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
Re: The pioneers of the teaching of science imagined that its introduction [#permalink]
Kudos
4. All of the following can be inferred from the text EXCEPT[/b]

A. at the time of writing, not all children received a secondary school education
E. it is relatively easy to learn scientific method=> "The only way of learning the method of science is the long and bitter way of personal experience, and, until the educational or social systems are altered to make this possible"- the point in the last paragraph is contrast to this choice.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33485 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello zoezhuyan

Remember this is an inference question, what we have to infer will not necessarily available in naked word or stated explicitly. Read, Understand and convert it into meaningful knowledge for inference question. Where we can find option B?

Read these lines in first paragraph

The professional schoolmaster was a match for both of them, and has almost managed to make the understanding of chemical reactions as dull and as dogmatic an affair as the reading of Virgil's Aeneid.

Read it, understand it and convert it into meaningful knowledge and compare it what we have required by question. These lines made Option B wrong.

I hope it helps

zoezhuyan wrote:
Quote:

dear SajjadAhmad, GMATNinja

I cannot understand choice B,
i did not find any evidence that can be used to infer B

Please clarify further
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 147
Send PM
Quote:

dear SajjadAhmad, GMATNinja

I cannot understand choice B,
i did not find any evidence that can be used to infer B

Please clarify further
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM

Now with D, can we actually infer this from the passage?
Passage says - "that is, to believe exactly what they are told and to reproduce it when asked, whether it seems nonsense to them or not."

Is this not taking inference a bit too far?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 800 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
CAN ANYONE PLEASE EXPLAIN QUE NO 1 .

THANKS
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33485 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Parvez786 wrote:
CAN ANYONE PLEASE EXPLAIN QUE NO 1 .

THANKS

I suppose you didn't read these explanations yet, kindly review them once and let me know if you have any issue.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-pioneers ... l#p2221910

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-pioneers ... l#p2222305

Sajjad
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The author's attitude to secondary and public school education in the sciences is:

Please tell answer of this question
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pardeepkumar6 wrote:
The author's attitude to secondary and public school education in the sciences is:

Please tell answer of this question

Read these explanations i hope these will help.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-pioneers ... l#p2222305

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-pioneers ... l#p2221910
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 88
Send PM
Sajjad1994 Hi Sajjad1994,

I am having difficulty in comprehending the language of the RC. I am mentioning my paraphrase below. Can you please help me with the summary of the passage?

1. Teaching of science in education
2. Limited success of science
3. Only way science success->practical

Let me know if my understanding is correct? Still not sure about the para-summaries.
Thanks in anticipation.
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ishaan18 wrote:
Sajjad1994 Hi Sajjad1994,

I am having difficulty in comprehending the language of the RC. I am mentioning my paraphrase below. Can you please help me with the summary of the passage?

1. Teaching of science in education
2. Limited success of science
3. Only way science success->practical

Let me know if my understanding is correct? Still not sure about the para-summaries.
Thanks in anticipation.

Hello Ishaan18

Truly speaking I didn't make/write passage summary on paper, I just read the paragraph and then keep it in my mind and revise it for 5-10 seconds after I have completed reading a paragraph. I have tried, earlier, many times to write summary of each paragraph on the paper even in the shortest format but it failed as a RC strategy as it took a lot of time to do that. I just keep a little summary paragraph-wise in my mind not overloaded with details. As for as your above summary is concerned I think it is fine.

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Official Explanation

[textarea]1. The author implies that the professional schoolmaster has?

Explanation

The author says that the professional schoolmaster was a match for people who tried to bring new ideas and attitudes into education. This means that the schoolmaster succeeded in making the new subjects dull. And so B is the best answer.

"So, too, in their time had the humanists thought that the study of the classical authors in the original would banish at once the dull pedantry and superstition of mediaeval scholasticism. The professional schoolmaster was a match for both of them, and has almost managed to make the understanding of chemical reactions as dull and as dogmatic an affair as the reading of Virgil's Aeneid."

I went with A as I couldn't link "thwarting attempts" with the passage.
Please help me understand - how to eliminate A and why choose B.

Thank you!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Hi folks,

Unable to understand the exact meaning of the above especially the phrase " both of them" in the below

So, too, in their time had the humanists thought that the study of the classical authors in the original would banish at once the dull pedantry and superstition of mediaeval scholasticism. The professional schoolmaster was a match for both of them, and has almost managed to make the understanding of chemical reactions as dull and as dogmatic an affair as the reading of Virgil's Aeneid.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 486 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
The pioneers of the teaching of science imagined that its introduction [#permalink]
Hey rinkuda,

I will give your question a shot. See the first paragraph starts by saying what the teachers of science intended to do, which was to modernize the education system still stuck with classical studies, but they were disappointed. We then have an analogy of the times when the humanists thought that the study of the classical authors would help change the education system. The professional school master was a match of "both of them" .....

Here "both of them" refers to the teachers of science and the humanists whose attempts to modernize education was thwarted by the school master.

I hope it is clear now ?

Sajjad1994, amazing passage. If it were possible could you be kind enough to tell me what is the difficulty level of question 2?
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
kntombat wrote:
Sajjad1994, amazing passage. If it were possible could you be kind enough to tell me what is the difficulty level of question 2?

It looks like a 650 level question in my opinion.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 849 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14006 posts