Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:42 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Number Propertiesx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [261]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Other, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619464 [96]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22071 [23]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
The sum of 4 different odd integers is 64. What is the value of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
The sum of 4 different odd integers is 64. What is the value of the greatest these integers?

(1) The integers are consecutive odd numbers --> x + (x + 2) + (x + 4) + (x + 6) = 64. We can find x. Sufficient.

(2) Of these integers, the greatest is 6 more than the least --> least = x and greatest = x + 6. Between x and x + 6, there are only 2 odd integers x + 2 and x + 4, so we have the same case as above. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Bunuel : can you just help me understand why from the first statement we are taking x= x + (x + 2) + (x + 4) + (x + 6) = 64. Can't it be x + (x - 2) + (x - 4) + (x - 6) = 64 ..won't the greatest number be different
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619464 [2]
Send PM
The sum of 4 different odd integers is 64. What is the value of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
nikhilbansal08 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
The sum of 4 different odd integers is 64. What is the value of the greatest these integers?

(1) The integers are consecutive odd numbers --> x + (x + 2) + (x + 4) + (x + 6) = 64. We can find x. Sufficient.

(2) Of these integers, the greatest is 6 more than the least --> least = x and greatest = x + 6. Between x and x + 6, there are only 2 odd integers x + 2 and x + 4, so we have the same case as above. Sufficient.

Bunuel : can you just help me understand why from the first statement we are taking x= x + (x + 2) + (x + 4) + (x + 6) = 64. Can't it be x + (x - 2) + (x - 4) + (x - 6) = 64 ..won't the greatest number be different

In my solution the smallest number is x and the greatest is x + 6.

In your case the smallest number is x - 6 and the greatest is x.

In any case the answer is the same.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38848 [10]
Given Kudos: 220
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GPA: 2.81
WE:Business Development (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: The sum of 4 different odd integers is 64. What is the value of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
AneesShaik wrote:

(1) The integers are consecutive odd numbers
(2) Of these integers, the greatest is 6 more than the least.

(1) The consecutive integers must be (15-2,15,15+2,15+4) so that the sum could be 64,So the greatest number is 19,Sufficient

(2) The range of the integers is 6,within this range to get sum 64 the integers must be (13,15,17,19) as statement (1),Sufficient

Correct Answer D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29958 [3]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
Re: The sum of 4 different odd integers is 64. What is the value of the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
AneesShaik wrote:
The sum of 4 different odd integers is 64. What is the value of the greatest of these integers?

Target question: What is the value of the greatest of these integers?

Given: The 4 numbers are different odd integers, and their sum is 64.

Statement 1: The integers are consecutive odd numbers
Let x = the first odd integer
So, x + 2 = the 2nd odd integer
So, x + 4 = the 3rd odd integer
So, x + 6 = the 4th odd integer
Since we're told the sum is 64, we can write: x + (x+2) + (x+4) + (x+6) = 64
Since we COULD solve this equation for x, we COULD determine all 4 values, which means we COULD determine the value of the greatest of the 4 odd integers
Of course, we're not going to waste valuable time solving the equation, since our sole goal is to determine whether the statement provides sufficient information.
Since we COULD answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: Of these integers, the greatest is 6 more than the least.
Notice that the 4 CONSECUTIVE integers (from statement 1) can be written as x, x+2, x+4 and x+6
Notice that the biggest number (x+6) is 6 more than the smallest number (x).
Since the 4 odd integers are different, statement 2 is basically telling us that the 4 integers are CONSECUTIVE
So, for the same reason we found statement 1 to be SUFFICIENT, we can also conclude that statement 2 is SUFFICIENT

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13397 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: The sum of 4 different odd integers is 64. What is the value of the gr [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
ritu1009 wrote:
The sum of 4 different odd integers is 64. What is the value of the greatest of these integers?
(1)The integers are consecutive odd numbers.

Question : What is the greatest of four odd integers which sum up to 64?

Statement 1: The integers are consecutive odd numbers
(a-6)+(a-4)+(a-2)+(a) = 64
i.e. a = 19

SUFFICIENT

STatement 2: Of these integers, the greatest is 6 more than the least
This statement also confirms that the integers are consecutive
(a-6)+(a-4)+(a-2)+(a) = 64
i.e. a = 19

SUFFICIENT

Answer: option D

ritu1009 : Please post DS question in respective forum. You seem to have posted it among PS questions
Bunuel : Please shift the question in the DS forum
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1430 [8]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
There are a lot of explanations on this forum that focus blindly on the math. But remember: the GMAT is a critical-thinking test. Let's talk strategy here. For those of you studying for the GMAT, you will want to internalize strategies that actually minimize the amount of math that needs to be done, making it easier to manage your time. The tactics I will show you here will be useful for numerous questions, not just this one. My solution is going to walk through not just what the answer is, but how to strategically think about it. Ready? Here is the full "GMAT Jujitsu" for this question:

The theme of this entire problem is what I call in my classes “Looking for Leverage.” If a statement initially looks like it is insufficient, look for facts, relationships, and words that you can efficiently use to “squeeze” information out of. Sometimes a single word makes the biggest difference. Watch how we do this with this problem.

Statement #1 tells us that all of the four different odd integers are “consecutive.” This is massive leverage. Consecutive odd integers take the form of \(n\), \(n+2\), \(n+4\), \(n+6\), etc., with \(n\) being the first odd integer. (If you don’t see this immediately, just plug in a concrete value for “\(n\)” to visualize it. For example: \(1\), \(3\), \(5\), \(7\) etc…) So, with this problem, we know that the “sum of 4 different odd integers is 64.” Thus:

\(n + (n+2) + (n+4) + (n+6) = 64\)

We have one equation with a single variable. There is no possibility of multiple possible values (such as with equations containing exponents, absolute values, inequalities, etc.) The real trap of Statement #1 is getting you to think that you actually need to solve for the greatest of the integers (in this case, “\(n+6\)”), instead of stopping as soon as you know you CAN solve. Many people spend too much time on Data Sufficiency questions because they think they need to get to the bitter end. You don’t. As soon as you have enough information to conclude that a statement is either sufficient or insufficient, you can move on. Since we can easily solve for “\(n\)”, we can easily figure out what “\(n+6\)” is. We don’t need to figure out that the four consecutive odd integers are \(13\), \(15\), \(17\), and \(19\). That is just extra work.

Statement #2 similarly requires us to identify small leverage words to squeeze information out of. In this case, statement #2 tells us that the greatest number is \(6\) more than the smallest number. But the question stem also tells us that each odd number is “different.” With only \(6\) separating the greatest odd number from the smallest odd number, the only POSSIBLE situation would be:

\(n + (n+2) + (n+4) + (n+6) = 64\)

And we have already done this analysis. Statement #2 is also sufficient, and the answer is “D”.

Now, let’s look back at this problem from the perspective of strategy. Your job as you study for the GMAT isn't to memorize the solutions to specific questions; it is to internalize strategic patterns that allow you to solve large numbers of questions. This problem can teach us patterns seen throughout the GMAT. First, the structure of this question is what I call “Cousins in Disguise” in my classes. Such problems are not uncommon on the GMAT. “Cousins in Disguise” happen when the two Data Sufficiency statements contain overlapping information, so that either: (1) the information in one statement is completely embedded in the other or (2) combining one statement with information in the question stem leads to the same information given in the other statement. Because of the overlapping information, the answer to “Cousins in Disguise” questions will never be “C”.

This problem also highlights the importance of “Looking for Leverage” in Data Sufficiency questions. (Okay, to be perfectly truthful, the idea of leveraging key details of questions is FUNDAMENTAL to practically every single GMAT question, in every section of the test: Verbal, Quant, IR, and AWA!) And that is thinking like the GMAT.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1358 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Expert Reply
AneesShaik wrote:

\(\sum\nolimits_{4\,\,{\rm{different}}\,\,{\rm{odds}}} {\,\, = \,\,\,64\,\,\,\,\left( * \right)}\)

\(? = \,\,{\rm{max}}\,\,{\rm{among}}\,\,{\rm{them}}\)

\(\left( 1 \right)\,\,\,{\rm{consecutive}}\,\,{\rm{and}}\,\,{\rm{sum}}\,\,64\,\,\,\left( {{\rm{from}}\,\,\left( * \right)} \right)\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,{\rm{they}}\,\,{\rm{are}}\,\,{\rm{unique}}!\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,{\rm{SUFF}}.\,\,\,\,\)

\(\left( 2 \right)\,\,\,{\text{must}}\,\,{\text{be}}\,\,{\text{consecutive}}\,\,\,\left[ {\,\,\underline {2M - 3} \,\,,\,\,2M - 1\,\,,\,\,2M + 1\,\,,\,\,\underline {2M + 3} \,\,} \right]\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\left( 1 \right)\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \Rightarrow \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,{\text{SUFF}}.\)

This solution follows the notations and rationale taught in the GMATH method.

Regards,
Fabio.

P.S.: the post immediately above is a typical example of a misunderstanding: math is NOT the same as doing calculations or lengthly equations. My course is probably the most mathematically-oriented in the whole PLANET and, even so, my solution above is probably the "less technical" (and probably the less time-consuming) of ALL others presented. Mathematics helps people gain quantitative maturity and THAT´S what the quant section of the GMAT is really about!
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1240 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
MentorTutoring VeritasKarishma BrentGMATPrepNow chetan2u

Quote:

I falter at times in deciding what is first step while solving such Qs.
E.g. Is not an odd no represented by 2x+1, where x can be any positive or negative integer including 0.
x can not be fraction.
consecutive odd no: 2x+1, 2x+3, 2x+5

How do we simplify above representation to: a consecutive odd no can be represented by: x, x+2, x+6 ... ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64952 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

E.g. Is not an odd no represented by 2x+1, where x can be any positive or negative integer including 0.
x can not be fraction.

How do we simplify above representation to: a consecutive odd no can be represented by: x, x+2, x+6 ... ?

Even numbers are represented by 2x
and odd numbers by (2x + 1)
(x can be any integer)

You can write 4 consecutive odd numbers as (2x - 3), (2x - 1), (2x + 1) and (2x + 3).
The calculations will be easy this way.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6861 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Expert Reply
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

x can not be fraction.

Hello, adkikani. If you are given that the integers must be odd, then you could use x to represent the first odd integer, and x, x+2, x+4, and x+6 would give you your four consecutive odd integers (starting with x). If the problem specified even integers, then you could use the same variable and system: x, x+2, x+4, and x+6. To be honest, I did not use an algebraic method for this one. Rather, I figured out the average of the four consecutive integers and determined what the numbers had to be. Let me explain:

Step 1: figure out the average of the four consecutive integers.

\(\frac{64}{4} = 16\)

Step 2: choose the odd integers closest to 16, the ones that "flank" it, that fit the average.

\(\frac{(15+17)}{2}=16\)

\(\frac{(13+19)}{2}=16\)

The integers must be 13, 15, 17, and 19. Which statements lead me to the same conclusion? Statement (1) is SUFFICIENT. The only four consecutive odd integers that will sum to 64 are the ones we have already determined. The answer must be (A) or (D). Statement (2) is SUFFICIENT. We already know that the greatest integer is going to be 6 more than the least, whether we use the algebraic method from earlier or the one outlined above.

I hope that helps. Thank you for tagging me.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Send PM
This mothod can help you to find the right answer faster !

Hope it helps :)
Attachments

-214.jpg
-214.jpg [ 438.04 KiB | Viewed 22164 times ]

-215.jpg
-215.jpg [ 403.58 KiB | Viewed 22159 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2290 [4]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13397 [0]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
AneesShaik wrote:

Solve the Official Questions more productively

Click here and solve 1000+ Official Questions with Video solutions as Timed Sectional Tests
and Dedicated Data Sufficiency (DS) Course

Answer: Option D

Video solution by GMATinsight

Get TOPICWISE: Concept Videos | Practice Qns 100+ | Official Qns 50+ | 100% Video solution CLICK.
Two MUST join YouTube channels : GMATinsight (1000+ FREE Videos) and GMATclub :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 116 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Send PM
AneesShaik wrote:

Statement 1
x + x +2 + x + 4 + x +6 = 64
4x+ 12 = 64
x =13 = > Last value = 13+6 = 19

Statement 2
first + last / 2 = Av
(x + x +6 )/2 = 64 / 4
2x +6 =32
x = 13 = >Last value= 13+6 = 19
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
INTERESTING!

The answer would actually be the same, even if the odd integers do not have to be different. The least and greatest have to be 13 and 19, respectively.

For instance, with Statement 2:

If the least was 11, the greatest must be 17. And the statement restricts us from having any integers outside of this range. Even if the remaining two integers are maximized to be 17 also, the sum will be smaller than 64.
\(11+17+17+17=62\)

Similarly, if the least was 15, the greatest must be 21. And the statement restricts us from having any integers outside of this range. Even if the remaining two integers are minimized to be 15 also, the sum will be greater than 64.
\(15+15+15+21=66\)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Might be a silly question, but when should we represent odd numbers as x,x+2,x+4 and when should they be represented as 2x+1, 2x+3, 2x+5. Or do the two representations make no diff? Thanks
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619464 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
monicaakannan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hi Bunuel,

Might be a silly question, but when should we represent odd numbers as x,x+2,x+4 and when should they be represented as 2x+1, 2x+3, 2x+5. Or do the two representations make no diff? Thanks

You can express odd integers as ..., 2k - 1, 2k + 1, 2k + 3, ... for some integer k. For example, for k = -4, we get: ..., -9, -7, -5, ...
Or you can express odd integers as ..., n - 2, n, n + 2, n + 4, ... for some ODD integer n. For example, for n = 7, we get: ..., 5, 7, 9, 11, ...

It depends on a problem at hand what would be more suitable way of expressing.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92955 posts