GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 23 May 2018, 21:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 140
The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 May 2015, 04:49
10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (00:49) correct 63% (00:41) wrong based on 291 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface area of cylinder B?

(1) The diameter of A is twice the diameter of B.
(2) The height of A is equal to the height of B.


This is a "what is the value of..." DS question. In this type of question, a statement will be sufficient only if it leads to a single value of the variable (or expression) you're asked about.

Remember, surface area of a cylinder = 2 π r² + 2 π r h where r is the radius of the cylinder, h is its height and π is a constant. The ratio between the surface areas of the two cylinders can be determined either by calculating the two surface areas or by identifying relationships between r and h of the two.

Stat. (1) + (2) Combined, you get the relationship between the radii as well as heights of the two cylinders. Let 2r be the radius of cylinder A and r be the radius of cylinder B as per Stat. (1), and let h be the height of both cylinders as the height of cylinder A is equal to that of cylinder B. By plugging in these in the formula of the surface area of a cylinder, you find that the surface area of cylinder A = 8 π r² + 4 π r h and that of cylinder B = 2 π r² + 2π r h. It is not possible to determine the ratio between the surface areas of cylinder A and B without knowing the specific values of r and h.

Stat.(1) + (2)->IS->E.



So I understand the math and was able to get to the point of cylinder A = 8 π r² + 4 π r h and that of cylinder B = 2 π r² + 2π r h.

But the provided solution only says that "It is not possible to determine the ratio between the surface areas of cylinder A and B without knowing the specific values of r and h."

I don't understand why. I chose C because we're given the relationship between the two diameters, in addition to H.

Could someone help me to understand?

Originally posted by anon1 on 02 Nov 2012, 18:09.
Last edited by Bunuel on 30 May 2015, 04:49, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
4 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 1195
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member
Re: The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Nov 2012, 22:23
4
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
anon1 wrote:
The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface area of cylinder B?
(1) The diameter of A is twice the diameter of B.

(2) The height of A is equal to the height of B.


This is a "what is the value of..." DS question. In this type of question, a statement will be sufficient only if it leads to a single value of the variable (or expression) you're asked about.

Remember, surface area of a cylinder = 2 π r² + 2 π r h where r is the radius of the cylinder, h is its height and π is a constant. The ratio between the surface areas of the two cylinders can be determined either by calculating the two surface areas or by identifying relationships between r and h of the two.

Stat. (1) + (2) Combined, you get the relationship between the radii as well as heights of the two cylinders. Let 2r be the radius of cylinder A and r be the radius of cylinder B as per Stat. (1), and let h be the height of both cylinders as the height of cylinder A is equal to that of cylinder B. By plugging in these in the formula of the surface area of a cylinder, you find that the surface area of cylinder A = 8 π r² + 4 π r h and that of cylinder B = 2 π r² + 2π r h. It is not possible to determine the ratio between the surface areas of cylinder A and B without knowing the specific values of r and h.

Stat.(1) + (2)->IS->E.



So I understand the math and was able to get to the point of cylinder A = 8 π r² + 4 π r h and that of cylinder B = 2 π r² + 2π r h.

But the provided solution only says that "It is not possible to determine the ratio between the surface areas of cylinder A and B without knowing the specific values of r and h."

I don't understand why. I chose C because we're given the relationship between the two diameters, in addition to H.

Could someone help me to understand?


\(Surface area of A = 2*pi*2r*(2r+h)\)

\(Surface area of B = 2*pi*r*(r+h)\)

\(\frac{Area_A}{Area_B} = \frac{2*pi*2r*(2r+h)}{2*pi*r*(r+h)}\)

\(= \frac{2*(2r+h)}{(r+h)}\)

So to know the ratio, we need atleast r in terms of h. What makes a hemisphere,cylinder, cone, and cuboid different from a sphere and square is the presence of a "+" in the calculation of the total surface area.

While the given data would have been sufficient had the cylinders been open at the top and bottom, it is not sufficient in the case of normal cylinders.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.
_________________

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 871
Location: Switzerland
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface area of [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2015, 11:27
The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface area of cylinder B?

(1) The diameter of A is twice the diameter of B.
(2) The height of A is equal to the height of B.


Remember, surface area of a cylinder = 2 π r² + 2 π r h where r is the radius of the cylinder, h is its height and π is a constant. The ratio between the surface areas of the two cylinders can be determined either by calculating the two surface areas or by identifying relationships between r and h of the two.

Stat. (1) + (2) Combined, you get the relationship between the radii as well as heights of the two cylinders. Let 2r be the radius of cylinder A and r be the radius of cylinder B as per Stat. (1), and let h be the height of both cylinders as the height of cylinder A is equal to that of cylinder B. By plugging in these in the formula of the surface area of a cylinder, you find that the surface area of cylinder A = 8 π r² + 4 π r h and that of cylinder B = 2 π r² + 2π r h. It is not possible to determine the ratio between the surface areas of cylinder A and B without knowing the specific values of r and h.

Stat.(1) + (2)->IS->E.

_________________

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 29 Dec 2014
Posts: 25
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V39
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2016, 21:13
Wording of Question is ambiguous... It is not clear if it is asking total surface area or just lateral/ curved surface area...could someone clarify ???

Posted from my mobile device
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 45305
Re: The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 00:58
smashbiker84 wrote:
Wording of Question is ambiguous... It is not clear if it is asking total surface area or just lateral/ curved surface area...could someone clarify ???

Posted from my mobile device


It's total area. If it were otherwise it would have been explicitly mentioned.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Re: The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 14:57
Hi Bunuel,

I can´t understand why is E, with the proportion of diameter and the same height is just not Cylinder A two times Cylinder B?

Or I should analyse something else? :?

Regards
Omar M
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 02 Jun 2016
Posts: 40
Schools: Sloan '19 (II)
Re: The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2016, 17:07
1
This post received
KUDOS
If you find this question on the real GMAT, you should first be very wary because each statement alone is quite obviously insufficient. Even if you didn't know the surface area formula, it should be clear looking at each statement that you need both pieces of info. This is a very clear C trap question and I think the best bet would be to just try plugging in easy numbers to see both statements fall short.

Make the height equal to 1
Try radius 2 for bigger cylinder, radius 1 for smaller, then try radius 4 for bigger, 2 for smaller. Quick calculations and it becomes clear answer is E

Sent from my SM-G928T using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 29 Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Re: The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 13:57
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
LXVE wrote:
If you find this question on the real GMAT, you should first be very wary because each statement alone is quite obviously insufficient. Even if you didn't know the surface area formula, it should be clear looking at each statement that you need both pieces of info. This is a very clear C trap question and I think the best bet would be to just try plugging in easy numbers to see both statements fall short.

Make the height equal to 1
Try radius 2 for bigger cylinder, radius 1 for smaller, then try radius 4 for bigger, 2 for smaller. Quick calculations and it becomes clear answer is E

Sent from my SM-G928T using GMAT Club Forum mobile app



Thanks LXVE , Now it´s clear.
SVP
SVP
avatar
P
Joined: 12 Dec 2016
Posts: 1904
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.64
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 01:06
bb, what is Curved Surface Area? I have seen 1 question that mentioned such term.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 45305
Re: The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jan 2018, 01:18
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Re: The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface   [#permalink] 04 Jan 2018, 01:18
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The surface area of cylinder A is how many times the surface

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.