It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1859 [2], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2015, 12:18
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (01:38) correct 46% (01:35) wrong based on 304 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secure economic foundation for Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II, known as the Marshall Plan, met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed it chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc.

A. The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secure economic foundation for Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II, known as the Marshall Plan, met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed it chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc.

B. Known as the Marshall Plan, the United States proposed to help reconstruct Western Europe and create a more secure economic foundation for European countries in the aftermath of World War II, but met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed the plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc.

C. Viewing the Marshall Plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc, the USSR opposed the United States' proposal, in the aftermath of World War II, to help reconstruct Western Europe and create for its countries a more secure economic foundation.

D. Known as the Marshall Plan, the United States' proposal to help reconstruct Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II and create a more secure foundation for their economies met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed the plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc.

E. In the aftermath of World War II, the United States had proposed to help the countries and economies of Western Europe undergo reconstruction by creating a more secure foundation for their economies; this was viewed by the USSR chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc, which they opposed.

Only if you tried really hard:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A. This answer choice is grammatically incorrect and illogical. In the original sentence the use of the parallel verbs reconstruct and create is illogical, because it doesn't make sense to say that the goal of the plan was to both reconstruct (=rebuild) and create the same object (a more secure economic foundation). To reconstruct is to change or rebuild something that already exists, but to create is to bring something new into existence. In addition, the pronoun it in the second part of the sentence is ambiguous. It can refer to any of the preceding singular nouns in the sentence (e.g. opposition, or Plan).

B. While this answer choice corrects the Pronoun ambiguity mistake in the original question by changing its to European and by changing it to the plan, it is grammatically incorrect.
By changing The United States' proposal to the United States proposed, the corrected sentence creates a Dangling Modifier mistake. The corrected sentence begins with a modifier: Known as the Marshall Plan. A modifier should be placed right next to the noun it describes. However, what immediately follows the modifier is the United States, and the United States is not known as the Marshall Plan. What helps us identify this question as a Dangling Modifier question as well as identify the mistake is the following Stop Sign:

A modifier, characterized by all of the following:
1. Verb+ing or Verb in 3rd form
2. Separated from the rest of the sentence by a comma
3. Appears at the very beginning of the sentence

Whenever you see this Stop Sign, focus on the modifier: check whether the noun right after the modifier is indeed the noun that the modifier describes. If it isn't - you've found your mistake.

C. While this answer choice is grammatically correct, it is stylistically flawed and slightly changes the meaning of the original sentence. This answer choice corrects the logical mistake in the original sentence by breaking up the parallel verbs reconstruct and create, and matching reconstruct with Western Europe and create with a more secure..foundation. However, with the sentence rearranged, it is difficult to grasp the meaning of the sentence, making it confusing and unclear. The designation the Marshall Plan is introduced before we are told what the Marshall Plan is. The subject of the sentence changes too, from the United State's proposal to the USSR. Instead of telling us something about the U.S. initiative, the perspective changes to the USSR. This is a departure from the gist of the original sentence. In addition, in the aftermath of World War II is awkwardly placed between the proposal and its definition and as it is a time expression, it would be better placed at the beginning or end of the sentence or idea to which it belongs. Some GMAT Sentence Correction questions are more focused on testing your grasp of style than of grammar. This answer choice gives you a feel for this kind of question.

D. This answer choice corrects the logical mistake in the original sentence by breaking up the parallel construction reconstruct and create, and matching the verb reconstruct with Western Europe and the verb create with a more secure..foundation. In addition, this answer choice eliminates the ambiguity of the original sentence by repeating the word the plan instead of using the pronoun it to refer to the Marshall plan.

E. This answer choice is grammatically incorrect and illogical, as well as stylistically flawed. The use of the Past Perfect tense (had proposed) is incorrect. For actions that occurred at a specific point in the past, such as in the aftermath of World War II, the appropriate tense to use is Past Simple. Remember that certain time expressions indicate when Past Simple is correct. e.g. yesterday, ago, during, in. Also, the Past Perfect tense is normally used to show that one finished action in the past occurred before another. In this sentence there is no such comparison. In addition, the use of the plural pronoun they is ambiguous and confusing: the location of they in the corrected sentence's second clause suggests that it refers to USSR, but this would be grammatically incorrect (USSR is singular). If they is taken to refer to the plural noun countries this would create an awkward construction - since countries appears in the first clause, before the semicolon. Furthermore, the sentence would be illogical, since the Western European countries did not oppose the Marshall Plan.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Last edited by reto on 12 Jun 2015, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1859 [2], given: 302

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 35

Re: The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 04:12
reto wrote:

A. The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secure economic foundation for Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II, known as the Marshall Plan, met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed it chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc.

Hello Reto

Despite your excellent explanation, I have an additional query -

Does the appositive phrase "known as Marshall Plan" incorrectly modify "World War II" ?

Thanks.

Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1859 [0], given: 302

Re: The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secu [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 04:28
pavankarwa123 wrote:
reto wrote:

Hello Reto

Despite your excellent explanation, I have an additional query -

Does the appositive phrase "known as Marshall Plan" incorrectly modify "World War II" ?

Thanks.

Hi Pavankarwa

No it doesn't in my view. The whole sentence has one subject and therefore it's clear that "known as Marshall Plan" refers directly to the preceeding subject "United States' Proposal":
"The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secure economic foundation for Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II", ....

However I am not the EXPERT here. Maybe my answer confirms your view?

Cheers

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 04:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
reto wrote:

Hi Pavankarwa

No it doesn't in my view. The whole sentence has one subject and therefore it's clear that "known as Marshall Plan" refers directly to the preceeding subject "United States' Proposal":
"The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secure economic foundation for Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II", ....

Cheers

Reto,

First of all, all your posts are food for thought! :)
Just scoured and found that you are correct!

Ref : Q113, Page 267, The Official Guide for Verbal Review 2015

Correct Answer - In A.D. 391, as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world, later generations lost all.......

Clearly, the appositive "the largest of the ancient world" modifies library and not Alexandria!

My Takeaway - Appositives need not necessarily modify the preceding Noun only!

Thanks again!

Retired Moderator

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 05:05
pavankarwa123 wrote:
reto wrote:

Hi Pavankarwa

Cheers

Reto,

First of all, all your posts are food for thought! :)
Just scoured and found that you are correct!

Ref : Q113, Page 267, The Official Guide for Verbal Review 2015

Correct Answer - In A.D. 391, as a result of the destruction of the library at Alexandria, the largest of the ancient world, later generations lost all.......

Clearly, the appositive "the largest of the ancient world" modifies library and not Alexandria!

My Takeaway - Appositives need not necessarily modify the preceding Noun only!

Thanks again!

Cool! :-D
All I do is posting questions I have troubles with :) Everything from The Economist.
Happy preparing

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41

Show Tags

New post 12 Jun 2015, 07:37
The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secure economic foundation for Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II, known as the Marshall Plan, met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed it chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc.

A. The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secure economic foundation for Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II, known as the Marshall Plan, met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed it chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc. Antecedent of it is ambiguous

B. Known as the Marshall Plan, the United States proposed to help reconstruct Western Europe and create a more secure economic foundation for European countries in the aftermath of World War II, but met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed the plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc. - Should be proposal not proposed

C. Viewing the Marshall Plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc, the USSR opposed the United States' proposal, in the aftermath of World War II, to help reconstruct Western Europe and create for its countries a more secure economic foundation. - Awkward, doesn't make sense

D. Known as the Marshall Plan, the United States' proposal to help reconstruct Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II and create a more secure foundation for their economies met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed the plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc. a comma is missing - I think this is most logical choice and only a comma is needed after economies and before met

E. In the aftermath of World War II, the United States had proposed to help the countries and economies of Western Europe undergo reconstruction by creating a more secure foundation for their economies; this was viewed by the USSR chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc, which they opposed. - Wrong use of which, past perfect tense not required

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 57

Non-Human User

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 06:40
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 270 [0], given: 0

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8161 [1], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2017, 08:30
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor

A. The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secure economic foundation for Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II, known as the Marshall Plan, met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed it chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc. --- The reference of 'it' gives a cause for concern -- it could be either the proposal or the plan or the foundation.

B. Known as the Marshall Plan, the United States proposed to help reconstruct Western Europe and create a more secure economic foundation for European countries in the aftermath of World War II but met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed the plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc. -- modification problem

C. Viewing the Marshall Plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc, the USSR opposed the United States' proposal, in the aftermath of World War II, to help reconstruct Western Europe and create for its countries a more secure economic foundation. -- 'its' is a problem. It could be the USSR's or the Western Europe's.

D. Known as the Marshall Plan, the United States' proposal to help reconstruct Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II and create a more secure foundation for their economies met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed the plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc. ---- looks the best.

E. In the aftermath of World War II, the United States had proposed to help the countries and economies of Western Europe undergo reconstruction by creating a more secure foundation for their economies; this was viewed by the USSR chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc, which they opposed. -- 1.had proposed is a problem. It has to go in tandem with the past tense of the USSR's view. 2. 'They' has no logical antecedent.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8161 [1], given: 364

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 35

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 11:56
daagh wrote:

A. The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secure economic foundation for Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II, known as the Marshall Plan, met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed it chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc. --- The reference of 'it' gives a cause for concern -- it could be either the proposal or the plan or the foundation.

B. Known as the Marshall Plan, the United States proposed to help reconstruct Western Europe and create a more secure economic foundation for European countries in the aftermath of World War II but met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed the plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc. -- modification problem

C. Viewing the Marshall Plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc, the USSR opposed the United States' proposal, in the aftermath of World War II, to help reconstruct Western Europe and create for its countries a more secure economic foundation. -- 'its' is a problem. It could be the USSR's or the Western Europe's.

D. Known as the Marshall Plan, the United States' proposal to help reconstruct Western European countries in the aftermath of World War II and create a more secure foundation for their economies met with opposition from the USSR, which viewed the plan chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc. ---- looks the best.

E. In the aftermath of World War II, the United States had proposed to help the countries and economies of Western Europe undergo reconstruction by creating a more secure foundation for their economies; this was viewed by the USSR chiefly as an attempt to undermine the consolidation of the Soviet Bloc, which they opposed. -- 1.had proposed is a problem. It has to go in tandem with the past tense of the USSR's view. 2. 'They' has no logical antecedent.

I dont see why A is wrong, the proposal is known as the marshal plan, so i dont see any ambiguity to the "it"

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 35

Re: The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secu   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2017, 11:56

The United States' proposal to help reconstruct and create a more secu

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap