Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2527 [16]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [4]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Strategy, Other
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: There are at least three people in the room. At most two people in the [#permalink]
O is D.

Since there are at least 3 people in the room, D is inconsistent since those 3 people will all recognise each other, but we are told that at most 2 people recognise each other. Inconsistent.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Re: There are at least three people in the room. At most two [#permalink]
I hope the attachment allows everyone to visualize the problem.
Marked in Red is 2 people relationship
Marked in Blue is the 3 people relationship.

Rule out all those which are consistent with this diagram. The answer is the one which is left out.
Attachments

three people.png
three people.png [ 48.71 KiB | Viewed 9798 times ]

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Given:
1. Minimum 3 people in the room (ie >=3)
2. Maximum 2 people recognize each other
3. Minimum 1 person knows everyone in the room

(A) Four people are in the room. - Conditions 1, 2, 3 are satisfied - Incorrect
(B) No two people in the room recognize each other. - If there are 4 people in the room, then all the conditions are statisfied and there would be two people in the room who would not recognize each other - Incorrect
(C) At most one person in the room recognizes everybody else in the room. - Can be inferred from the passage. Plugging in few values would help conclude the same - Incorrect
(D) Anyone in the room who recognizes any other person in the room is also recognized by that person. - When there are 5 people in the room and only two people recognize each other. Additionally two persons know everyone in the room, the likelihood of such a scenario is very less - Correct
(E) Two people in the room recognize every one else in the room. - Can be the case when there are 4 people in the room and still satisfy all the conditions - Incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 790 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
can anyone elaborate how to eliminate B . .i assumed a situation that A called x no of people so he recognises all. nobody else knows each other .this will fulfill all conditions in question and B is not possible. as all x might recognise A they just dont know the remaining x-1 people. . does my situation contradict anything in the question ?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Let's imagine four people: Bob, Dave, Steve, and Joe. Bob recognizes Dave and Joe. Dave recognizes Joe and Joe recognizes Steve. However, this recognition is one way. Meaning just because someone recognizes you does not mean you will recognize them. Therefore, we can see that (D) does not have to be true. Therefore, the answer is (D).
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: There are at least three people in the room. At most two people in the [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts