Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 18 Jul 2019, 06:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

There are six consecutive positive integers in Set S. What

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2012
Posts: 5
GMAT ToolKit User
There are six consecutive positive integers in Set S. What  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2012, 15:30
1
1
12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

34% (02:07) correct 66% (02:29) wrong based on 183 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics


There are six consecutive positive integers in Set S. What is the value of positive integer n?

(1) When each integer in S is divided by n, the sum of remainders is 11.
(2) When each integer in S is divided by n, the remainders include five different values.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
User avatar
V
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 7603
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Re: There are six consecutive positive integers in Set S. What  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2015, 23:54
5
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

There are six consecutive positive integers in Set S. What is the value of positive integer n?

(1) When each integer in S is divided by n, the sum of remainders is 11.
(2) When each integer in S is divided by n, the remainders include five different values.

The question states that the numbers are 6 consecutive terms, so we only need to know the first term; there is only one variable and 2 equations, so there is high chance that (D) will be the answer.
Looking at condition 1, for {1,2,3,4,5,6} and n=5, the sum of the remainder is 1+2+3+4+0+1=11, but for {2,3,4,5,6,7} and n=4, the sum of the remainder is also 2+3+0+1+2+3=11. n=4,5; no unique value of n is given, so this condition is insufficient.
Looking at condition 2, in order to have different remainders, n has to be 5. So the remainder becomes 0,1,2,3,4. This condition gives a unique value of n, so the answer becomes (B).

Normally for cases where we need 1 more equation, such as original conditions with 1 variable, or 2 variables and 1 equation, or 3 variables and 2 equations, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore D has a high chance of being the answer, which is why we attempt to solve the question using 1) and 2) separately. Here, there is 59 % chance that D is the answer, while A or B has 38% chance. There is 3% chance that C or E is the answer for the case. Since D is most likely to be the answer according to DS definition, we solve the question assuming D would be our answer hence using 1) and 2) separately. Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, C or E.
_________________
MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $79 for 1 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"
Most Helpful Community Reply
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 598
WE: Science (Education)
Re: There are six consecutive positive integers in Set S. What  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 00:33
7
4
corvinis wrote:
There are six consecutive positive integers in Set S. What is the value of positive integer n?

(1) When each integer in S is divided by n, the sum of remainders is 11.
(2) When each integer in S is divided by n, the remainders include five different values.


When dividing a positive integer by the positive integer \(n\), there are \(n\) possible remainders:
\(0,1,2,...,n-1\).

(1) If \(n=4\), the remainders are \(0,1,2,3,0,1,2,3...\) We can have a sequence of remainders \(2,3,0,1,2,3\) with a sum of \(11.\)
If \(n = 5\), the remainders are \(0,1,2,3,4,0,1,2,3,4,...\) We can have a sequence of remainders \(1,2,3,4,0,1\) again with a sum of \(11.\)
Not sufficient.

(2) We have 6 numbers in our sequence and only 5 distinct remainders, so necessarily \(n=5.\)
And as we have seen above, the remainders \(1,2,3,4,0,1\) give the sum of \(11.\)
Sufficient.

Answer B.
_________________
PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 May 2012
Posts: 5
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: There are six consecutive positive integers in Set S. What  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2012, 00:43
EvaJager wrote:
When dividing a positive integer by the positive integer \(n\), there are \(n\) possible remainders:
\(0,1,2,...,n-1\).

(1) If \(n=4\), the remainders are \(0,1,2,3,0,1,2,3...\) We can have a sequence of remainders \(2,3,0,1,2,3\) with a sum of \(11.\)
If \(n = 5\), the remainders are \(0,1,2,3,4,0,1,2,3,4,...\) We can have a sequence of remainders \(1,2,3,4,0,1\) again with a sum of \(11.\)
Not sufficient.

(2) We have 6 numbers in our sequence and only 5 distinct remainders, so necessarily \(n=5.\)
And as we have seen above, the remainders \(1,2,3,4,0,1\) give the sum of \(11.\)
Sufficient.
Answer B.


Thanks EvaJager. Understood
Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 11693
Re: There are six consecutive positive integers in Set S. What  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2019, 05:54
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________
GMAT Club Bot
Re: There are six consecutive positive integers in Set S. What   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2019, 05:54
Display posts from previous: Sort by

There are six consecutive positive integers in Set S. What

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  





Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne