GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Sep 2018, 01:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

This morning, a certain sugar container was full

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
This morning, a certain sugar container was full  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 24 Aug 2014, 22:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (00:48) correct 16% (00:52) wrong based on 339 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This morning, a certain sugar container was full. Since then some of the sugar from this container was used to make cookies. If no other sugar was removed from or added to the container, by what percent did the amount of sugar in the container decrease ?

1) The amount of sugar in the container after making the cookies would need to be increased by 30 percent to fill the container

2) Six cups of sugar from the container were used to make the cookies

Can any explain in multipliers form
Mean 30% = 0.30

I welcome analysis on my posts and kudo +1 if helpful. It helps me to improve my craft.Thank you

Originally posted by kanusha on 24 Aug 2014, 22:36.
Last edited by Gnpth on 24 Aug 2014, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the topic
Senior RC Moderator
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: This morning, a certain sugar container was full  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2014, 22:49
kanusha wrote:
This morning, a certain sugar container was full. Since then some of the sugar from this container was used to make cookies. If no other sugar was removed from or added to the container, by what percent did the amount of sugar in the container decrease ?

1) The amount of sugar in the container after making the cookies would need to be increased by 30 percent to fill the container

Mean 30% = 0.30

Normally we don't need assign any values in DS problems, variables should be fine.

Now, let X be the amount of sugar in the container when it was full.

St1 says that we need increase 30% to fill the container.

Let A be the amount removed.

Now. (X-A)0.30 + (X-A)= X.

When you add,

1.3(X-A)= X. We dont need to solve till last step in DS. This will give us one definite value for A.

So St-1 is sufficient.

St.2) it doesn't give us any other information. a cup can be 1gm or 20 gm, or even 1000gm. since we don't have definite value, It is insufficient.

So the answer is A. Hope it helps.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 03:50

----------

Let original amount of sugar was N
x unit is taken from the jar.

Statement 1 says : \(\frac{3}{10} (N-x) = x\)
\(\frac{N}{x} = \frac{13}{3}\)

Statement 1 is sufficient.

Statement 2 is clearly not sufficient.

Therefore, A is the answer.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2015, 05:46
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution.

We only have one variable as we only need to know the percentage of sugar if we let the total be 100%. There are 2 equations given from the 2 conditions, so there is high chance (D) will be our answer.
From condition 1, if we let the amount of sugar left be X, 1.3X=100%, so this is sufficient.
For condition 2, there is no relationship between percentage and number, so this is insufficient and the answer is (A).

from con 1) and con 2), if one of the conditions is given by numbers and the other is given by ratio (percent,fraction), then the condition with ratio (percent,fraction) value has higher chance of being the answer

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

Director
Director
P

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Jun 2016, 11:21
kanusha wrote:

Mean 30% = 0.30

here everything talking in percentage..it is better to take any comfortable value i take 100gms of sugar is initially in container.
(1)let x gms is removed so adding 30% to 100-x gms will again be 100
(100-x)(1+30/100)=100
it will yield into some value of x gms.
so we can give a YES to our ans to the ques .asked.
(2) no info about quantity of cups..
insuff...
Ans A

Originally posted by rohit8865 on 12 Jun 2016, 07:58.
Last edited by rohit8865 on 18 Jun 2016, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Always try to face your worst fear because nothing GOOD comes easy. You must be UNCOMFORTABLE to get to your COMFORT ZONE
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 570 Q44 V25
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2016, 09:06
Gnpth wrote:
kanusha wrote:

Mean 30% = 0.30

Normally we don't need assign any values in DS problems, variables should be fine.

Now, let X be the amount of sugar in the container when it was full.

St1 says that we need increase 30% to fill the container.

Let A be the amount removed.

Now. (X-A)0.30 + (X-A)= X.

When you add,

1.3(X-A)= X. We dont need to solve till last step in DS. This will give us one definite value for A.

So St-1 is sufficient.

St.2) it doesn't give us any other information. a cup can be 1gm or 20 gm, or even 1000gm. since we don't have definite value, It is insufficient.

So the answer is A. Hope it helps.

Can someone solve this completely!

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you’ll be successful.” - Eric Thomas

I need to work on timing badly!!

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 02:24
Hi All,

Given:

+Morning = Full = x

+Change = Amount of sugar used = Unknown

+After = y (y < x)

Asked: [(x-y)/x]*100 =?

(1) The amount of sugar in the container after making the cookies would need to be increased by 30 percent to fill the container

=> Change = 30% of x = 0.3x => y = x - 0.3x = 0.7x

=> [(x-y)/x]*100 = [(x - 0.7x)/x]*100 => Sufficient

(2) Six cups of sugar from the container were used to make the cookies

What is total amount of six cups of sugar? We do not know => Insufficient

Answer = A.

Not sure my reasoning is correct. Please help.

Many thanks.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 21:45
Please let me know if my confusion/logic makes sense. I'd assumed that Statement 1 would be insufficient because since X could be anything, the percentage decrease itself could be anything. So since the percentage decrease for a cup with 100mg and a cup with 130mg are different, I thought it would be insufficient because you'd then get two different numbers.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 22:59
kanusha wrote:

Mean 30% = 0.30

Statement 1: The % decrease from A (one value) to B (other value) will always yield a unique % increase from B to A. This is because you can express A and B in terms of the same variable. Sufficient

Statement 2: This one could have been helpful if we knew the absolute volume of the container in terms of total number of cups. Not Sufficient.
DS Forum Moderator
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2018, 11:05
futuremba96 wrote:
Please let me know if my confusion/logic makes sense. I'd assumed that Statement 1 would be insufficient because since X could be anything, the percentage decrease itself could be anything. So since the percentage decrease for a cup with 100mg and a cup with 130mg are different, I thought it would be insufficient because you'd then get two different numbers.

Hi

When we say 'a decrease of 20% in X', it means a decrease of 20% only, and nothing else.
Now if X=100, then a decrease of 20% would mean = 20% of 100 = 20
If X=120, then a decrease of 20% would mean = 20% of 120 = 24

So while the amounts of decrease (20 and 24) in the above two cases are different, the percentage decrease is same = 20%

Now in our given question, statement 1, after decreasing the sugar by a certain amount, remaining sugar needs to be increased by 30% to get back to the original value. So lets say remaining sugar is now = y. It needs to be increased by 30% of y = 0.3 y to get back to the its original value. This means original value of sugar was = y + 0.3y = 1.3y

So original value = 1.3y and final value = y, so the percentage decrease that took place was = (1.3y - y)/1.3y * 100 = 3/13 * 100 = 23% approximately
As you can see, the variable y is eliminated and the answer is independent of the value of y. Here it doesnt matter what the original value of y was.. whether y was 120 or 250 or 34.. the percentage decrease in sugar which took place was 23% only, this is fixed
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2018, 18:18
amanvermagmat wrote:
futuremba96 wrote:

Hi

When we say 'a decrease of 20% in X', it means a decrease of 20% only, and nothing else.
Now if X=100, then a decrease of 20% would mean = 20% of 100 = 20
If X=120, then a decrease of 20% would mean = 20% of 120 = 24

So while the amounts of decrease (20 and 24) in the above two cases are different, the percentage decrease is same = 20%

Now in our given question, statement 1, after decreasing the sugar by a certain amount, remaining sugar needs to be increased by 30% to get back to the original value. So lets say remaining sugar is now = y. It needs to be increased by 30% of y = 0.3 y to get back to the its original value. This means original value of sugar was = y + 0.3y = 1.3y

So original value = 1.3y and final value = y, so the percentage decrease that took place was = (1.3y - y)/1.3y * 100 = 3/13 * 100 = 23% approximately
As you can see, the variable y is eliminated and the answer is independent of the value of y. Here it doesnt matter what the original value of y was.. whether y was 120 or 250 or 34.. the percentage decrease in sugar which took place was 23% only, this is fixed

This is a fantastic explanation, thank you so much! So the key is that we are asked for a percentage decrease, which would be the same regardless of what y would be.
Manager
Manager
B
GPA: 2.85
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2018, 22:34
kanusha wrote:

Mean 30% = 0.30

As this is DS question we need not solve for values but still..

Statement 1 : Amount of sugar to be added to get the original quantity = 30%

Let X be the original amount of sugar and Y be the amount after removal.
-> X = Y + 0.3Y
-> X = 1.3 Y

Percent by which the amount of sugar decreased = \(\frac{Sugar Removed}{Sugar Present Initially}*100\) = \(\frac{0.3Y}{1.3Y}*100\) = 23.07 % approx

Sufficient

Statement 2 : We do know 6 cups of sugar was removed , but we do not know the size of the cup or the relation between the cup and the original amount of sugar present

Not Sufficient

Option : A

Regards ,
Dhruv

Please Give +1 Kudos if you liked the post!!

GMAT Club Bot
Re: This morning, a certain sugar container was full &nbs [#permalink] 27 Mar 2018, 22:34

This morning, a certain sugar container was full

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap