Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here is a thread on the most rigorous b-schools from a few days ago:

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=42162
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
So, from what I've heard from Kellogg PTers - Kellogg FTers do nothing but party all the time. They don't really study because many finals are take home and quizzes are usually just based on the homework. However, I once read a Kellogg blog about how the guy was suprised to be up at 3am still working on stuff. I somehow get the feeling that the PTers figure the FTers are doing little more than screwing round for 2 years, but it's probably not that easy in the FT program.

Yeah, there's a lot of rivalry between FT and PT students - when you have to balance full-time work and classes, it makes the life of a full time student look much easier. But that's part of what you guys pay for when you sacrifice your salaries for two years - you should get that benefit!

In terms of workload at top schools - I'm sure it varies to some extent. I do believe that they try to maintain at least a certain level of rigor. I think a lot of it comes down to the individual and his/her strengths and weaknesses. For example, I know I'm a very fast reader and a relatively good writer. My perception of the workload in a heavy reading/writing class would be very different than someone who struggles with those tasks. On the other hand, I would find the workload in a quant-heavy class much greater than someone who can breeze through problem sets. There's also the element of things outside the classroom - activities and recruiting. The workload is, to some extent, what you make it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
klong009 wrote:
rhyme wrote:
So, from what I've heard from Kellogg PTers - Kellogg FTers do nothing but party all the time. They don't really study because many finals are take home and quizzes are usually just based on the homework. However, I once read a Kellogg blog about how the guy was suprised to be up at 3am still working on stuff. I somehow get the feeling that the PTers figure the FTers are doing little more than screwing round for 2 years, but it's probably not that easy in the FT program.

Yeah, there's a lot of rivalry between FT and PT students - when you have to balance full-time work and classes, it makes the life of a full time student look much easier. But that's part of what you guys pay for when you sacrifice your salaries for two years - you should get that benefit!

In terms of workload at top schools - I'm sure it varies to some extent. I do believe that they try to maintain at least a certain level of rigor. I think a lot of it comes down to the individual and his/her strengths and weaknesses. For example, I know I'm a very fast reader and a relatively good writer. My perception of the workload in a heavy reading/writing class would be very different than someone who struggles with those tasks. On the other hand, I would find the workload in a quant-heavy class much greater than someone who can breeze through problem sets. There's also the element of things outside the classroom - activities and recruiting. The workload is, to some extent, what you make it.

That pretty much describes me.... A class based on case studies, class participation, group projects, sounds like an easy A to me. A class based on midterms and finals related to, say, statistics, will likely be much harder for me.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I haven't sampled the B-school life, yet, but I have had the chance to discuss this issue with several alumni from different schools.

1) Stanford alumnus (which happened to go to undergrad with me, so really a comparable bar): I did study hard, but no way did I study as much as I did for undergrad (and he graduated top 15 - 20%, not your typical nerdy guy with a 4.0). He was there with his wife and they both had a great time.

2) HBS alumnus: everybody is so freaked out when classes begin. People dread their first cold call and every body is so nervous. After some time, though, you calm down and study (of course), read all the cases (of course), some in greater depth, some just to complement what you heard in your study group. I was there with my wife and 2 kids, so I would not want to jeopardize my family. And I did not have to, luckily.

3) Kellogg FT alumnus: I asked him: What surprised you the most about Kellogg? He answered: the amount of effort and dedication that everyone is willing to put into the experience. And I say so in a good sense, everyone is giving their best so the community kind of pushes everyone to give their best. The main issue is time management. Between recruiting, clubs, classes, projects, etc. you need to balance time very carefully.

4) Wharton current student (married): the single guys are having the time of their lives. I mean pub-crawls, outing, etc. And they still study a lot to keep up. They are basically sleeping 4 hours a day between the partying and the courses. I dunno how they manage the rhythm.

5) Kellogg FT student: I regret studying too much. I mean I could have balanced my time differently, maybe gotten some Bs instead of As in some courses and I would have been able to enjoy more extracurricular activities. In the end, the whole experience is important, not just the courses.

Hope it helps. L.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
[quote="rhyme"]

And here's the real *complain*:

"The Graduate School of Business grading policy states
that a faculty member may not exceed a maximum
grade point average of 3.33 for each course taught in
a quarter. If a faculty member teaches more than one
section of a course, the 3.33 average is calculated
using all sections. Excluded from this policy are PhD
courses, “labâ€
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
The grade curve at Chicago is actually pretty forgiving- especially compared to those of other professional schools. A professor can easily remain in compliance by giving a lot of B grades, a moderate number of A grades, and a few lower grades.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
The grade curve at Chicago is actually pretty forgiving- especially compared to those of other professional schools. A professor can easily remain in compliance by giving a lot of B grades, a moderate number of A grades, and a few lower grades.

That was my thought too when I read that policy. It sounds like as along as you show up for class and do the required work you'll be fine.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Personally, we have worked so hard to reach at this stage.. that B-School course workload won't be tough. yes time management with recruiting, extra curricular activities etc has to be good...

But now I feel that worrying about coursework is small compared to worrying of whether you will get in :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
willget800 wrote:
Personally, we have worked so hard to reach at this stage.. that B-School course workload won't be tough. yes time management with recruiting, extra curricular activities etc has to be good...

But now I feel that worrying about coursework is small compared to worrying of whether you will get in :)

They do say the hardest part is getting in.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
I remember reading that maybe 1% do not end up graduating, and I would imagine that some of those are affected by personal or medical problems and things like that. And at a place like Chicago, just being on course to graduate should be enough to put you in contention for the best jobs. There's nothing to worry about academically, though those of you with significant others might need to find a way to balance that.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
I remember reading that maybe 1% do not end up graduating, and I would imagine that some of those are affected by personal or medical problems and things like that. And at a place like Chicago, just being on course to graduate should be enough to put you in contention for the best jobs. There's nothing to worry about academically, though those of you with significant others might need to find a way to balance that.

Itll be interesting - I'm not sure she really knows what it's going to be like.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
pelihu wrote:

Itll be interesting - I'm not sure she really knows what it's going to be like.

well spend the next few months keeping her real happy ;)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here's what I've heard based on talking to students:

UNC: I played golf everyday.

Virginia: Things are insane here.

Stanford: Things are pretty laid back here.

Cal: We work harder than Stanford.

USC: We work harder than Stanford and Cal.

MIT: First semester is scary, then things calm down.

NYU: I work hard, but it's more due to networking and other job stuff than classroom assignments.

Chicago: Depends on what you want to do--some of the advanced electives are brutal, but you don't have to take those classes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
if etc.. includes rest of the world and top schools there - INSEAD is supposed to be very intense (and lot of parties). And I heard so is IMD.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]