Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:18 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35497 [197]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [39]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [30]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [26]
Given Kudos: 595
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
To reduce traffic congestion, City X's transportation bureau plans to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Beylo wrote:
I consider this one a bit tough because there is an "obvious" correct choice with A. If you are Tigger happy you might jump for it! Nevertheless, always be skeptic of options with "hard" language.

In CR i like to 1. Read the questions objective and 2. understand the key players, 3. Read carefully and synthesisze. 4, Read answer carefully

1. Objective: Assumption , plan will succeed... Plan = Less Congestion -> Sign Pledge if yes, Cupon R (incentive )
2. Player: Transportation Bureau ( I just type TB to save time).

A. Looks nice . Will keep it in the back pocket. Suspicious because of "hard" word 'everyone'
B. Irrelevant to the plan success
C. Also tricky. Because, its easy to think that "are the people downtown causing the traffic? maybe others who won't get a cuppon. Keep in back pocket.
D. Train wreck of an answers. Eliminate.
E. Looks nice! Now time to triage.

A. Hard language choices tend to be wrong. Let's follow our habits and eliminate.
C. Does not mention the plan. So the question can be out of focus. Maybe a lazy test writer. Eliminate.
E. Soft language, mentions plans , and effect. Choose it. Move on with your life. Answer the question in less than 2 min do something else.

The question is ambiguous, so don't be too hard on yourself. Use it as a practice to eliminate wrong answers. And then carefully triage what is left. Don't stay too long on this question! It's not wroth it. You want to get through all 36 questions! :)

This question is not ambiguous for sure.

In must be true Question, we need the argument to hold true in all case.

Here the goal is to reduce traffic.(keep in mind even if it is reduced by 1% or 100%, the plan will succeed)

A -Everyone who signs the pledge form will fully abide by the pledge for the next year -- consider 100 people signed the petition, A says if all 100 people abide the pledge, then we can reduce the traffic but this is not logical. even if 50 people abide the pledge, traffic will be significantly reduced. so, this is not true all the time. Eliminate

C- Most downtown traffic congestion in City X results from people who work downtown. C says more than 50% of the traffic is caused by people who work in downtown. But this need not to be true all the time. consider 40% percent of the traffic is caused by people who work in downtown and they signed and abide the pledge. This will still result in reduction of traffic. Eliminate

E At least some people who receive the coupon for a free meal will sometimes carpool or use public transportation during the next year.

Just negate E- No people who receive the coupon for a free meal will sometimes carpool or use public transportation during the next year. If no one is using the carpool or public transportation then the traffic will be same and the plan will fail. So, E needs to be true.
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: To reduce traffic congestion, City X's transportation bureau plans to [#permalink]
Kudos
I consider this one a bit tough because there is an "obvious" correct choice with A. If you are Tigger happy you might jump for it! Nevertheless, always be skeptic of options with "hard" language.

In CR i like to 1. Read the questions objective and 2. understand the key players, 3. Read carefully and synthesisze. 4, Read answer carefully

1. Objective: Assumption , plan will succeed... Plan = Less Congestion -> Sign Pledge if yes, Cupon R (incentive )

A. Looks nice . Will keep it in the back pocket. Suspicious because of "hard" word 'everyone'
C. Also tricky. Because, its easy to think that "are the people downtown causing the traffic? maybe others who won't get a cuppon. Keep in back pocket.

A. Hard language choices tend to be wrong. Let's follow our habits and eliminate.
C. Does not mention the plan. So the question can be out of focus. Maybe a lazy test writer. Eliminate.
E. Soft language, mentions plans , and effect. Choose it. Move on with your life. Answer the question in less than 2 min do something else.

The question is ambiguous, so don't be too hard on yourself. Use it as a practice to eliminate wrong answers. And then carefully triage what is left. Don't stay too long on this question! It's not wroth it. You want to get through all 36 questions! :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1041 [1]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Re: To reduce traffic congestion, City X's transportation bureau plans to [#permalink]
Kudos
Beylo wrote:

Hey, could help with why C is incorrect?
E seems too soft as per me vs C
C strikes the heart of the question. If the traffic isn't caused mostly by the downtown office goers then how can this plan work since the TA of the plan is them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 86 [5]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: HEC '22
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:
To reduce traffic congestion, City X's transportation bureau plans to encourage people who work downtown to sign a form pledging to carpool or use public transportation for the next year. Everyone who signs the form will get a coupon for a free meal at any downtown restaurant.

For the transportation bureau's plan to succeed in reducing traffic congestion, which of the following must be true?

A) Everyone who signs the pledge form will fully abide by the pledge for the next year.

B) At least some people who work downtown prefer the restaurants downtown to those elsewhere.

C) Most downtown traffic congestion in City X results from people who work downtown.

D) The most effective way to reduce traffic congestion downtown would be to persuade more people who work there to carpool or use public transportation.

E) At least some people who receive the coupon for a free meal will sometimes carpool or use public transportation during the next year.

CR20190.02

Ok I'm back. :)

TARGET: Find an option that must be true for plan to succeed.
Pre-think: For the plan to succeed everything should happen as thought by the bureau.

ERRORS:marked red in question . This question is a good example for extreme option elimination.

A) Everyone need not do that: at least some >>> traffic declines. EXTREME option

B) Ok so what preference of restaurant ? May be people prefer these restaurants and collect coupons and then violate the pledge.

C)It need not be most. Even little reduction is also OK. EXTREME

D)It need not be most effective but still effective enough . EXTREME

E)PERFECT: Atleast some people does as expected>>>> plan succeed.i.e, at least some traffic reduction is inevitable.
In extreme options search for Soft tone choice that fits our requirement

HOPE THIS HELPS

THANKS. :thumbsup:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [2]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
generis wrote:
To reduce traffic congestion, City X's transportation bureau plans to encourage people who work downtown to sign a form pledging to carpool or use public transportation for the next year. Everyone who signs the form will get a coupon for a free meal at any downtown restaurant.

For the transportation bureau's plan to succeed in reducing traffic congestion, which of the following must be true?

A) Everyone who signs the pledge form will fully abide by the pledge for the next year.

B) At least some people who work downtown prefer the restaurants downtown to those elsewhere.

C) Most downtown traffic congestion in City X results from people who work downtown.

D) The most effective way to reduce traffic congestion downtown would be to persuade more people who work there to carpool or use public transportation.

E) At least some people who receive the coupon for a free meal will sometimes carpool or use public transportation during the next year.

CR20190.02

Initially I chose A, but after solving similar questions, I am leaning towards E. Here are my thoughts:

Plan: To reduce traffic congestion, Bureau is considering plans to encourage people to pledge. How? The pledged people will get meal coupons.
So, the hidden linkage is, provide meal coupons -> reduce the traffic.

Now the question part: Question stem asks if the plan is to succeed, which of the following must be true?.

A : Here is where I faltered. I have considered only the pledge not the meal coupons. I am not skeptical of strong language, but this does not affect the linkage between meal coupons and reducing traffic. If only pledging is required to reduce the traffic, then there is no need for meal coupons. If you want to be conservative, keep A.

B. People preferring restaurants is not our concern Eliminate B.

C. Most traffic congestion is caused by people from downtown. Okay. But does the plan is to reduce the traffic only from people from downtown? NO, the plan is reduce the the overall traffic congestion. More subtly, this does not address the plan of giving coupons-> reduce congestion

D. Again, this does not address the plan of Bureau

E. Okay, the contender for A. At least some people who receive coupons, will stick to the pledge. Keep E.

Between A and E, which of the options are need for the plan to succeed?

Negate A (certainly this is not assumption question, but let's try out!)

No-one who signs the pledge form will fully abide by the pledge for the next year. Cool! but wait.. there is another version

Everyone who signs the pledge form will not fully abide by the pledge for the next year. Will this plan work by then? Certainly! Even if they use other means of transport, or simply carpool on different days, then the traffic congestion is reduced.

Now get back to E.

No one who receives the coupon for a free meal will sometimes carpool or use public transportation during the next year. Since No one is used, sometimes is meaningless here. Okay this does not hold out. Let's try another variation

At least some people who receive the coupon for a free meal will never carpool or use public transportation during the next year. -Even this second negation, will result in the failure of the plan.

So, E is absolutely required for the plan to succeed, but A is not necessarily always required for the plan to succeed.

Let me know whether the explanation helps, and any corrections are always appreciated!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
why not A when the question asks says "must be true?"
A gives me clear answer that it will definitely reduce the traffic congestion

in E, what if some people ( say 365 people), follow traffic on each day one by day - this could reduce traffic very negligibly
Secondly , what if 365 follow on the same day, then what about other 364 days? traffic is not reduced in 364 days, so weaken the conclusion.

This question has too many open ends.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Not clear on how to eliminate A? Both A and E solve will reduce traffic. Some clarity on this will really help.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Send PM
Beylo wrote:

It's not too ambiguous tbh. Let me break it down for you.

It's about traffic, not downtown traffic. that eliminates some options. Also, it's not very extreme so it's a good option.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
To reduce traffic congestion, City X's transportation bureau plans to [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hello, everyone. I see a lot of confusion above in the responses, particularly about answer choice (A), so I thought I would provide a full analysis to hopefully clarify a few points. How about we start with the question?

generis wrote:

Notice that the frame of this question adopts the phrase must be true. You could think of this as a necessary assumption in a different question with that keyword (assumption) instead. Be careful in these questions not to justify a could-be-true answer. Many people overlook the obvious because they think there has to be some deeper purpose or meaning, but that is not the way standardized tests operate in general, least of all on this type of question.

The passage is easy enough to digest.
generis wrote:

Sentence 1 lays out the plan. The transportation bureau wants people who work downtown to sign a form, one that says they will carpool or use public transportation for the next year. The why is spelled out for us in the first few words: to reduce traffic congestion.

Sentence 2 does not offer any commentary, merely informing us that everyone who signs the form will get a coupon, one that entitles the bearer to a free meal at any restaurant in the downtown area.

The linear relationship is as follows—plan: (sign a form = coupon) → reduced traffic congestion. Our answer must tie into this relationship. (An alternative explanation will not do here.)

generis wrote:

The only information the passage provides about everyone is that each person who signs the pledge will receive a coupon. Not to be overlooked is the equally absolute will fully abide by the pledge. What would it mean to partially abide by the pledge? Would workers who opted to get their legs moving on Bike to Work Day fall into this undesirable category? Would that situation not also potentially reduce traffic congestion? We are looking for a must-be-true answer, and if, in a pretty unrealistic, happy-go-lucky scenario, 99 percent of all pledges followed through but 1 percent did not (the ones who might have just wanted a free lunch), and traffic congestion were subsequently reduced, would that not also make the plan a success? We should be able to appreciate that these extreme conditions do not have to hold for the plan to achieve its aim, so we need to keep looking for our answer.

generis wrote:

This is the right group of people, the target group of the plan, but restaurant preferences have nothing to do with its success. If I worked in the city and packed my lunch everyday to save money, or perhaps because I felt that a homemade meal was more wholesome and healthful than the fare offered at restaurants in general, but I then got a coupon for a free meal at any downtown restaurant, I might decide to treat myself one day to the free meal or take a friend out. The point is, I could take the coupon regardless of my restaurant preferences, and so might anyone else. As long as pledges stuck to what they pledged to do, the plan could be a success. The coupon is just icing on the cake.

generis wrote:

Make every word count, or else you should be skeptical of the answer. We can only speculate whether most traffic congestion is caused by downtown workers or by journey-workers passing through the city each day to reach their eventual destinations. The goal of the plan is to reduce traffic congestion, plain and simple. Perhaps there are just more buses and other forms of public transit into the downtown area than there are to other surrounding areas, so the transportation bureau decided to provide an incentive for a proportion of commuters, some proportion, the one that consists of people who work downtown, to use public transportation or carpool. We have no numbers in hand to qualify most. Maybe a 30 percent reduction in traffic congestion would be considered a success, and perhaps that very sliver of congestion is currently caused by people who work downtown. It is an extreme case, but a must-be-true question forces us to confront such possibilities, and we have found a loophole.

generis wrote:

Another superlative in most, and another answer that is easy to see off for overstepping its bounds. We are not privy to the information behind the decision by the transportation bureau to offer people who work downtown a meal voucher to sign the pledge. It could have been some last-ditch effort to reduce traffic congestion after other potentially better ideas had already failed. We will never know, nor should we be concerned with what could be the most effective way to address the problem. The bureau proposed a plan. Does that make it the best possible plan by default? I wish such issues could be resolved so simply in real life.

generis wrote:

What do you know? The plan that hinges upon people pledging to do something in exchange for a coupon actually requires some of these people to follow through sometimes for the plan to succeed. Who would have guessed? Note that we are not trying to find an answer to justify whether the plan will be successful, only what it would take for this particular plan, by its very design, to be successful. This is a must-be-true condition, and with the other answers safely out of the way, there is no room for doubt anyway. Choice (E) is our answer.

I hope that helps. If anyone has further questions, I would be happy to offer my thoughts. As always, good luck with your studies.

- Andrew
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 596
Concentration: Operations, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
MentorTutoring wrote:
Hello, everyone. I see a lot of confusion above in the responses, particularly about answer choice (A), so I thought I would provide a full analysis to hopefully clarify a few points. How about we start with the question?

generis wrote:

Notice that the frame of this question adopts the phrase must be true. You could think of this as a necessary assumption in a different question with that keyword (assumption) instead. Be careful in these questions not to justify a could-be-true answer. Many people overlook the obvious because they think there has to be some deeper purpose or meaning, but that is not the way standardized tests operate in general, least of all on this type of question.

The passage is easy enough to digest.
generis wrote:

Sentence 1 lays out the plan. The transportation bureau wants people who work downtown to sign a form, one that says they will carpool or use public transportation for the next year. The why is spelled out for us in the first few words: to reduce traffic congestion.

Sentence 2 does not offer any commentary, merely informing us that everyone who signs the form will get a coupon, one that entitles the bearer to a free meal at any restaurant in the downtown area.

The linear relationship is as follows—plan: (sign a form = coupon) → reduced traffic congestion. Our answer must tie into this relationship. (An alternative explanation will not do here.)

generis wrote:

The only information the passage provides about everyone is that each person who signs the pledge will receive a coupon. Not to be overlooked is the equally absolute will fully abide by the pledge. What would it mean to partially abide by the pledge? Would workers who opted to get their legs moving on Bike to Work Day fall into this undesirable category? Would that situation not also potentially reduce traffic congestion? We are looking for a must-be-true answer, and if, in a pretty unrealistic, happy-go-lucky scenario, 99 percent of all pledges followed through but 1 percent did not (the ones who might have just wanted a free lunch), and traffic congestion were subsequently reduced, would that not also make the plan a success? We should be able to appreciate that these extreme conditions do not have to hold for the plan to achieve its aim, so we need to keep looking for our answer.

generis wrote:

This is the right group of people, the target group of the plan, but restaurant preferences have nothing to do with its success. If I worked in the city and packed my lunch everyday to save money, or perhaps because I felt that a homemade meal was more wholesome and healthful than the fare offered at restaurants in general, but I then got a coupon for a free meal at any downtown restaurant, I might decide to treat myself one day to the free meal or take a friend out. The point is, I could take the coupon regardless of my restaurant preferences, and so might anyone else. As long as pledges stuck to what they pledged to do, the plan could be a success. The coupon is just icing on the cake.

generis wrote:

Make every word count, or else you should be skeptical of the answer. We can only speculate whether most traffic congestion is caused by downtown workers or by journey-workers passing through the city each day to reach their eventual destinations. The goal of the plan is to reduce traffic congestion, plain and simple. Perhaps there are just more buses and other forms of public transit into the downtown area than there are to other surrounding areas, so the transportation bureau decided to provide an incentive for a proportion of commuters, some proportion, the one that consists of people who work downtown, to use public transportation or carpool. We have no numbers in hand to qualify most. Maybe a 30 percent reduction in traffic congestion would be considered a success, and perhaps that very sliver of congestion is currently caused by people who work downtown. It is an extreme case, but a must-be-true question forces us to confront such possibilities, and we have found a loophole.

generis wrote:

Another superlative in most, and another answer that is easy to see off for overstepping its bounds. We are not privy to the information behind the decision by the transportation bureau to offer people who work downtown a meal voucher to sign the pledge. It could have been some last-ditch effort to reduce traffic congestion after other potentially better ideas had already failed. We will never know, nor should we be concerned with what could be the most effective way to address the problem. The bureau proposed a plan. Does that make it the best possible plan by default? I wish such issues could be resolved so simply in real life.

generis wrote:

What do you know? The plan that hinges upon people pledging to do something in exchange for a coupon actually requires some of these people to follow through sometimes for the plan to succeed. Who would have guessed? Note that we are not trying to find an answer to justify whether the plan will be successful, only what it would take for this particular plan, by its very design, to be successful. This is a must-be-true condition, and with the other answers safely out of the way, there is no room for doubt anyway. Choice (E) is our answer.

I hope that helps. If anyone has further questions, I would be happy to offer my thoughts. As always, good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

Hey Andrew,

Very nicely explained.

I have some doubts in option B.

Quote:
My thinking while solving
If people do not prefer downtown restaurants , they will not be interested in taking coupon and therefore the plan will fail.

Thinking this, I thought B is better than E. I get why E is correct but the point is that I am not able to eliminate B.

Please help.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6860 [4]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos