Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:44 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [274]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618555 [40]
Given Kudos: 81561
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [21]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Re: Graphic approach to problems with inequalities [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi - can someone help me explain Tip #2? I don't really understand what it is saying. Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bigfernhead wrote:
Hi - can someone help me explain Tip #2? I don't really understand what it is saying. Thanks.

See fig.2 - we have line 3x+2y=18. Where is 3x+2y<18? left or right side? we put x=-infinity and y=0 --> -infinity<18. Is is correct? Yes. Therefore, left side corresponds to 3x+2y<18 (orange color in fig.2)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
walker wrote:
Hi all! My friend, Tarek, PM me and asked me to show how to use the graphic approach to problem with inequalities. I really love such approach because it is not only fast one after training, but also reliable. So, I try to illustrate how to use it.

1) If \((x/y)>2\), is \(3x+2y<18?\)

(1) \(x-y\) is less than \(2\)
(2) \(y-x\) is less than \(2\)

1. First of all, we draw x/y>2. x/y=2 - is a boundary. (see figure 1). we should note that if one of the variables is negative and other is positive, x/y will be always negative and less than 2. Therefore, our set of x,y that satisfied x/y>2 lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis.

How do we find which area should be shaded? In first step you defined that set of x and y lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis. Thanks
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
kbulse wrote:
How do we find which area should be shaded? In first step you defined that set of x and y lies between line x/y=2 and x-axis. Thanks

One of approaches is to check any point.
Let's consider x>0 and try point between x/y=2 and x=0, for example, x=2, y=0.5. For this point x/y=4>2 and the expression is true.
We could also try point above x/y=2 line. For example, x=2, y=2. For this point x/y=1 <2 and the expression is false.
In conclusion, to find what area works, just pick any point in that area (the better to choose a point, for which it is possible to calculate fast).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, entrepreneurship
Schools:Booth, Stern, Haas
Send PM
walker wrote:
kbulse wrote:

One of approaches is to check any point.
Let's consider x>0 and try point between x/y=2 and x=0, for example, x=2, y=0.5. For this point x/y=4>2 and the expression is true.
We could also try point above x/y=2 line. For example, x=2, y=2. For this point x/y=1 <2 and the expression is false.
In conclusion, to find what area works, just pick any point in that area (the better to choose a point, for which it is possible to calculate fast).

Hi walker,

how about this way:
\(x/y>2\) => \(y>x/2\) then draw the line y=x/2 and shade everything which is upper side of the line? is it not correct?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kbulse wrote:
how about this way:
\(x/y>2\) => \(y>x/2\) then draw the line y=x/2 and shade everything which is upper side of the line? is it not correct?

1) you should be careful with first operation because it is an inequality and you multiply both sides by y that can have a different sign and change a sign of the inequality.

The correct answer will be:
\(x/y>2\) => \(x/y * y>2 *y\) at y>=0 and \(x/y * y<2 *y\) at y<0 ==> \(y<x/2\) at y>=0 and \(y>x/2\) at y<0
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2292 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
walker wrote:
Thanks, there is a typo here:
Instead of
walker wrote:
... We can put x=4.5 into x-y=2 and find that y=4.25<4.5 (left side).

should be: ... We can put x=4.5 into x-y=2 and find that y=2.5>2.25 (left side, line x-y=2 goes above P).
or even better: ... We can put y=2.25 into x-y=2 and find that x=4.25<4.5 (left side). In other words, line x-y=2 passes y=2.25 (y-coordinate of P) early and goes above P.

I've fixed it in original post.
+1

Hello walker, could you please help me get the final answer? I am clear with the diagram but do not understand how to deduce the answer from it.
intersection of two straight lines is (4.5,2.25).
From first option: x-y<2, I am trying to confirm that whether intersection (4.5,2.25) validates this eqiation.
=> x-y<2
=> y > x-2
=> y > 4.5 - 2
=> y > 2.5
But at x=4.5, actual value of y is 2.25, which is, indeed, not greater than 2.5!! What should I look for from this statement?

I guess I am missing something..... :?

....thank you.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
priyankur_saha@ml.com wrote:
But at x=4.5, actual value of y is 2.25, which is, indeed, not greater than 2.5!! What should I look for from this statement?

I guess I am missing something..... :? .

Figure 3. We have "true" and "false" regions. What happens in remaining area we don't care as the area doesn't satisfies problem's conditions.
Figure 4. Part of "true/false" regions is gray because it doesn't satisfy x-y<2 condition. Only in "color" part x-y<2 is true.

But in Figure4 we could have doubt about point P: where line x-y<2 passes P, left-above or bottom-right. In first case we will have only "true" region and in second case - "true" and "false" regions. As you correctly pointed out at x=4.5 y=2.5>2.25. So, point P is not included in "color" region (P does not satisfy x-y<2 condition) and x-y<2 passes left-above. So that, we can conclude we have only "true" region.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Ok this might be a dumb question, but I see both graphs 4 and 5 lines passing from the true region.
How can you deduce which one is correct?

Also for graph 4 "walker" said, "4. Let's consider fist condition: x-y<2. x-y=2 is a boundary. (see figure 4). As we can see all y,x that satisfies the fist condition lie in "green-TRUE" region."

But I see some points that lie outside, how can "all" points satisfy this?

I m in waiting list, gotta take the test again to get in. Please please can somebody help me :shock: ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hi Walker,

This approach works for linear equation or can we use it for equations like X^2 or X^3 also ??
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
mdfrahim wrote:
Hi Walker,

This approach works for linear equation or can we use it for equations like X^2 or X^3 also ??

This approach works for any equations that could be drawn under GMAT time conditions. Y = X^3 + 1 is easy to draw but Y = 0.34X^3 - 342X^2 + 6X - 3 is not.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
thanks... but i think it is difficult to use ... ven ur pressed for time
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
For me this approach has one great advantage over other ones: When picture is drawn, the answer is almost obvious. Moreover, drawing is pretty straightforward process: line by line, expression by expression.
Nevertheless, the more approaches you know, the more confident you are.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 205 [0]
Send PM
Hi Walker - for those of us who are artistically challenged, do you happen to know the way to solve this algebraically? :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
understudy wrote:
Hi Walker - for those of us who are artistically challenged, do you happen to know the way to solve this algebraically? :)

I will try to solve it using "construct example" approach:

x/y >2, 3x+2y <18?

a) Could we construct an example when 3x+2y<18 ? We need small x and y for witch x/y >2.
Let's say we have x = 1 (I mean 1.000001) and y=0.5

1/0.5 > 2 - Ok
3*1+2*0.5 <18 Ok

first statement: 1-0.5<2 Ok
second statement: -0.5+1<2 Ok

So, x=1.000001 and y=0.5 is an example that satisfies both statements and answer is YES (True) that 3x + 2y < 18

b) Could we construct an example when 3x+2y>=18 ? The condition x/y > 2 says that x and y can be both positive or negative. At negative x,y 3x+2y will be always negative. So, we need look for our example among x,y positive.

first statement: x-y<2. Under this statement we can say that positive x and y must be close to each other. So, let's consider the maximum difference: x-y = 2 ---> y+2/y >2 --> y=2 and x=4 (as earlier I mean x=3.9999999 y=1.99999999).
At such x and y we have 3*4+ 2*2 = 16 < 18. So, we can't construct an example for witch 3x+2y >=18 and first statement is sufficient.

second statement: y-x < 2. Under this statement we can choose x=100000 and y =1 and 3x+2y >=18. So, we can construct an example for witch 3x+2y >=18 and second statement is insufficient.

My comments: This approach depends on concrete problem and your luck to see an examples. At the same time I love graph approach as it is always straightforward.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Concentration: General
Schools:MIT LGO (Admitted), Harvard (Admitted))
 Q50  V41
Send PM
I actually don't know other quick ways to solve it yet...and I am an engineering/math major! I am very fascinated by your approach - most of the time i try to solve problems algebraically.

I got 49 on Quant on my last GMAT exam 2 years ago but sucked on the verbal section- retaking the test on Dec. 14th. Wish me luck. So far my averages on Manhattan CATs, Preps and Peterson are about 670 (highest 700, lowest 650). Quite disappointing but I am still trying to break the hurdle. Working full time is definitely not helping. I even deactivated facebook and turned into a complete anti-social being for the past few months :cry:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
babyif19 wrote:
I actually don't know other quick ways to solve it yet...and I am an engineering/math major! I am very fascinated by your approach - most of the time i try to solve problems algebraically.

I got 49 on Quant on my last GMAT exam 2 years ago but sucked on the verbal section- retaking the test on Dec. 14th. Wish me luck. So far my averages on Manhattan CATs, Preps and Peterson are about 670 (highest 700, lowest 650). Quite disappointing but I am still trying to break the hurdle. Working full time is definitely not helping. I even deactivated facebook and turned into a complete anti-social being for the past few months :cry:

Define your weaknesses and spend all your time on them. It is simple but many tend to do what they like but not what they need. If you have problem in SC, thy Manhattan SC book - it is a bible for sentence correction. But anyway, good luck with exam, you are very close to 700.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92875 posts