Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Idioms/Diction/Redundancyx   Parallelismx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [3]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Schools: HBS '22
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [1]

Send PM
Re: Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be equally likely [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Rajeet123 wrote:
daagh wrote:
Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be equally likely to exceed the proposed speed limit as the current one.

(A) equally likely to exceed the proposed speed limit as
(B) equally likely to exceed the proposed speed limit as they are
(C) equally likely that they will exceed the proposed speed limit as
(D) as likely that they will exceed the proposed speed limit as
(E) as likely to exceed the proposed speed limit as they are

1. The intended sentence is-- Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be as likely to exceed the proposed speed limit as they are (likely to exceed) the current one. We may note the ellipsis here in full action for the sake of concision. Therefore, the Answer choice E is indeed complete.

2.The first step is to eliminate all the choices that miss the action verb in the second part, namely, ‘are’. Missing the verbal word will render the comparison wrong by treating the proposed speed itself as the current one. Then the essence of proposed loses relevance. Hence A, C and E can be dumped.
Now comes the idiom ‘as X as Y’ into play, wherein ‘as…. As’ is an essential ingredient. Hence, -will be equally likely to do x as they are Y -- is unidiomatic. As likely to do x as they are Y is the correct idiom. Therefore E.

I got stuck between A and E and eliminated E for the ambiguous use of "they". It could refer to the drivers or the officials. Where did I go wrong?

As pointed out in this post and as explained in this video, pronoun ambiguity isn’t an absolute rule.

There are several posts on this thread about (A), but two issues are:

1) We want "as likely as", not "equally likely as".
    2) (A) seems to compare drivers to the current speed limit. I wouldn't eliminate based on that alone, but the comparison is much clearer in choice (E).

So, if you ignore the pronoun non-issue, (E) is the better choice!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
Re: Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be equally likely [#permalink]
ExpertsGlobal5 wrote:
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

ritjn2003 wrote:
Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be equally likely to exceed the proposed speed limit as the current one.

Choice A: This answer choice incorrectly compares "the drivers" to "the current one"; This error is due to the omission of the verb in the second part of the comparison; when a comparison involves a tense shift, no verb can be omitted. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice features the same error found in Option A. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice utilizes the unidiomatic phrase "likely to"; furthermore, it is needlessly wordy and quite awkward due to the phrase "that they will". Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice D: This answer choice repeats the same idiom-related error found in Option C. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice maintains correct idiom use and conveys the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Hence, E is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Hi!

Can you explain why the idiom use in answer choice E is correct. Doesn't the word following "as" have to be parallel with the other word that follows the other second "as."

For example, "as X as Y." Doesn't X and Y have to be parallel. Either they are both nouns, verbs, or preposition.

as likely to exceed the proposed speed limit as they are. This idiom does not show parallelism with "to" as a verb and "they" as a noun.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
thealchemist89 wrote:
Doesn't the word following "as" have to be parallel with the other word that follows the other second "as."

Hi thealchemist89, for the most part, that would not happen, because in the idiom as X as Y, X and Y serve different purposes: X is generally an adjective (the attribute that the idiom is trying to emphasize), while Y is a noun (the entity whose attribute the idiom is comparing with).

For example;

He is as big as an elephant.

Big is an adjective while elephant is a noun.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: Desautels (D)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, MikeScarn, generis, hazelnut

Could you please confirm if the below sentences are correct?

When it comes to calorie content, an apple is AS good AS a mango.

When it comes to calorie content, an apple is AS good AS a mango is.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Deadpool3 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, MikeScarn, generis, hazelnut

Could you please confirm if the below sentences are correct?

When it comes to calorie content, an apple is AS good AS a mango.

When it comes to calorie content, an apple is AS good AS a mango is.
Hi Deadpool3,

Dropping the is does not create any ambiguity, because good is an adjective. Another (similar) example:
1. He is as tall as his brother (is tall).
2. He is as tall as his brother is (tall).

(1) is very clear, so there is no need to add an is.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
Send PM
Experts daagh GMATNinja CrackVerbal egmat. Please help!

I don't understand the parallelism in Option E as in How are they parallel?
My reasoning :

as likely to exceed (Infinitive) the proposed speed limit as they are (Clause)

In the above as....as structure, Infinitive is made parallel to a clause.

Thank you. :please:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
rounakkedia172 wrote:
Experts daagh GMATNinja CrackVerbal egmat. Please help!

I don't understand the parallelism in Option E as in How are they parallel?
My reasoning :

as likely to exceed (Infinitive) the proposed speed limit as they are (Clause)

In the above as....as structure, Infinitive is made parallel to a clause.

Thank you. :please:
Hi rounakkedia172,

I'm not sure whether it's helpful to look at this as being a parallelism issue (this is actually an example of ellipsis). The "full" sentence is:

Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be as likely to exceed the proposed speed limit as they are {likely to exceed} the current one.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:

Hi AndrewN Sir,

As we discussed in other posts, look for simple and concise sentences ( make sure no other error in it).
in option A, i found :
likely to - tick
the proposed speed limit as the current one - ( only one singular, so one can only refer to speed limits; if ones ; could refer to drivers)- so no ambiguity- tick
other idiom: not sure ( so i hanged on A)

D: easy to reject ( as X as Y; X and Y are not same parts of speech and we have concise option available)
Between A and E , ( current one / they are current one). I choose A because in A i am comparing speed with speed without ambiguity .

My question:
In such situation, how can we avoid doing mistake as i did in A.
( i was not aware if equally like as could be wrong and "they" i found is not needed as there is no ambiguity in A)

please suggest
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
imSKR wrote:
Quote:

Hi AndrewN Sir,

As we discussed in other posts, look for simple and concise sentences ( make sure no other error in it).
in option A, i found :
likely to - tick
the proposed speed limit as the current one - ( only one singular, so one can only refer to speed limits; if ones ; could refer to drivers)- so no ambiguity- tick
other idiom: not sure ( so i hanged on A)

D: easy to reject ( as X as Y; X and Y are not same parts of speech and we have concise option available)
Between A and E , ( current one / they are current one). I choose A because in A i am comparing speed with speed without ambiguity .

My question:
In such situation, how can we avoid doing mistake as i did in A.
( i was not aware if equally like as could be wrong and "they" i found is not needed as there is no ambiguity in A)

please suggest

Hello, imSKR. Missing this question is okay. You just have to take from it what you can. First, yes, add the idiom as _____ as to your list so you recognize it the next time. That is an easy fix. The subtler issue is that we have a comparison here, and that as is used (unlike like) to compare actions. Who or what is exceeding the speed limit? Drivers who are doing something (i.e. exceeding). Thus, we are comparing an action to another action, and the extra they are, the doer of the action, is necessary. Otherwise, (A) can be read as saying,

Traffic safety officials predict that drivers will be equally likely to exceed the proposed speed limit as the current one [is].

I think you will agree with me that the above sentence provides a nonsensical meaning, that the current speed limit cannot exceed a proposed speed limit under any circumstances. Just laugh this one off. Choice (A) is a good trap answer; choice (E) is the correct answer.

Thank you for tagging me.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Rotman '17
GPA: 3.76
Send PM

I understand that as....as.... is the correct construction, but why "as they are the current one" make sense?

Current one refers to current speed limit; they refers to drivers

as likely to exceed the proposed speed limit as drivers are the current speed limit??

Wouldn't this choice make more sense if "as likely to exceed the proposed limited as they DO WITH the current one"

Experts please explain...
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [3]

Send PM
Kudos