It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 04:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Treatment of "difference between" on GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 12

Treatment of "difference between" on GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Oct 2017, 20:46
Hi, quick question on the treatment of the use of the words "difference between" on GMAT--I have two sources that provide varied information:

In the GMAT Club Quant book it says "Difference between x and y" implies "x-y"

In the problem that follows here gmatclub.c0m/forum/abe-beth-carl-and-duncan-are-four-siblings-among-which-abe-and-carl-196028.html (cant post URLs yet b/c new member + kudos...change 0 to an 0 in .c0m); difference between is assumed to represent either way of subtraction as per atom's and eGmats responses and the accepted OA.

I am very very confused as to which to follow and would appreciate any clarity.

Thanks

e-GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesMagoosh Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8780 [2], given: 106

Re: Treatment of "difference between" on GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2017, 16:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmattesttaker556 wrote:
Hi, quick question on the treatment of the use of the words "difference between" on GMAT--I have two sources that provide varied information:

In the GMAT Club Quant book it says "Difference between x and y" implies "x-y"

In the problem that follows here gmatclub.c0m/forum/abe-beth-carl-and-duncan-are-four-siblings-among-which-abe-and-carl-196028.html (cant post URLs yet b/c new member + kudos...change 0 to an 0 in .c0m); difference between is assumed to represent either way of subtraction as per atom's and eGmats responses and the accepted OA.

I am very very confused as to which to follow and would appreciate any clarity.

Thanks

Dear gmattesttaker556,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I would say that in the phrasing "difference between X and Y," there's no generally-agreed-upon mathematical rule for translating those particular words into algebra. It's unambiguously clear that subtraction is implied, but whether the difference must be positive and whether we are subtracting in one order or another is unclear. My gut sense is that this typically would mean |X - Y|, the number-line separation between the two quantities. For example, look at the problem you cited.

I. The difference between Beth’s age and Abe’s age is a prime number.

A prime number, by definition, is a kind of positive integer, so we know the difference must be positive. Since the prompt tells us that B > A, then this difference is (B - A).

I would say that any bonafide Quant problem would not leave us hanging on this point. If it says "difference between ___ and ___," something else in the problem will make obvious which way the subtraction should go.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8780 [2], given: 106

Intern
Intern
B

Re: Treatment of "difference between" on GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2017, 00:56
Thanks Mike this is helpful

Re: Treatment of "difference between" on GMAT   [#permalink] 06 Nov 2017, 00:56

Treatment of "difference between" on GMAT

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap