GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2018, 22:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • All GMAT Club Tests are Free and open on November 22nd in celebration of Thanksgiving Day!

November 22, 2018

November 22, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Mark your calendars - All GMAT Club Tests are free and open November 22nd to celebrate Thanksgiving Day! Access will be available from 0:01 AM to 11:59 PM, Pacific Time (USA)
  • Free lesson on number properties

November 23, 2018

November 23, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Two cyclists are running on a circular track of 500m...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Two cyclists are running on a circular track of 500m...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 03:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

70% (01:39) correct 30% (02:29) wrong based on 180 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Two cyclists are running on a circular track of 500m.They start from the same point A at the same time.If they meet for the first time at a point 200 m from A, which of the following could be the possible ratio of their speeds?

A. 1:3
B. 2:3
C. 3:5
D. 5:7
E. 7:11

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Premium Member
Re: Two cyclists are running on a circular track of 500m...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 04:43
First thing's first. Why are cyclists running? :shock:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the answer is among the solutions.

Basically, to meet at 200m from A, one person needs to run 200+500x meters, while the other person runs at 200+500y meters. So ratio of speeds needs to be something like 2/7, 7/12, 12/17, etc.

There is, however, another possibility of meeting at 300m from A (and since it's a circle, it's really still 200m from A). In this case, the ratio needs to be something like 3/8, 8/13, 13/18, etc.

From the given answer choices:
1:3, cyclists will first meet at 250m from A (after traveling 750m)
2:3, cyclists will first meet at 0m from A (after traveling 1500m)
3:5, cyclists will first meet at 250m from A (after traveling 1250m)
5:7, cyclists will first meet at 250m from A (after traveling 1750m)
7:11, cyclists will first meet at 375m from A (after traveling 1375m)

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Retired Moderator
B
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 05:13
The trick here is that it has not been mentioned anywhere about the direction in which they are running(Still couldn't figure out why they are running.. :? )..if we consider opposite directions then here is how it follows:
So starting from the point A when cyclist 1 has run 200m & cyclist 2 has run 300m. They will meet at a point 200 m from A and the ratio of their speeds will be proportionally 2:3.. :done

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all
Don't let an extra chromosome get you down..:P

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2014, 13:08
well, the key aspect of this question is the distance mentioned, when they met for the first time, which is 200m away from the starting point. This distance between their first meeting can be less than 500 in only two circumstance.

1) if both are travelling in the same direction and one of them has been given a head start say by few meters.

2) or if both are travelling in the opposite direction.

now since they start their journey at the same time. hence option 1 is ruled out. hence they must be running in the opposite direction. hence answer should be 2:3.
Why?? here is a solution
As here time is constant, therefore, distance traveled will be directly proportional to the the respective velocities/speed of the two runners.(d1/d2=v1/v2)
now one of them has covered 200m, therefore other must have covered 300m, therefore ratio of their speeds/velocities will be 2:3
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q44 V38

Show Tags

New post 22 Apr 2015, 18:50
First: why are they running lol

Second: this would depend on whether they are running in the same direction as well (maybe one guy is running really fast and catches up to the other guy). But I assumed they ran in the opposite directions and my method was as so:

200m out of 500m = 40% of the track, so one person has gotten 40% while the other has gotten 60% ---> the ratio between these is 2:3
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2015, 05:37
JusTLucK04 wrote:
Two cyclists are running on a circular track of 500m.They start from the same point A at the same time.If they meet for the first time at a point 200 m from A, which of the following could be the possible ratio of their speeds?

A. 1:3
B. 2:3
C. 3:5
D. 5:7
E. 7:11

Yeah, very poor but funny question. :-) Cyclists who are running, wow. Then there is no source.

If you solve it and assume that they both run/or cycle in opposite direction, there is no reason to calculate any speed. Just calculate the ratio: if they meet at a point 200m from A, one cyclist must have absolved 200m and the other 300m. Therefore 2:3

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Jan 2016, 06:39
JusTLucK04 wrote:
The trick here is that it has not been mentioned anywhere about the direction in which they are running(Still couldn't figure out why they are running.. :? )..if we consider opposite directions then here is how it follows:
So starting from the point A when cyclist 1 has run 200m & cyclist 2 has run 300m. They will meet at a point 200 m from A and the ratio of their speeds will be proportionally 2:3.. :done

Thank you for explaining the tricky part. I was driving myself nuts, since I couldn't figure out, why it was so hard for me to answer such an easy question. :lol:
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2018, 03:41
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Two cyclists are running on a circular track of 500m... &nbs [#permalink] 28 Jul 2018, 03:41

Two cyclists are running on a circular track of 500m...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap