Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1920 [1]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2853 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [1]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Underwhelming and unbalanced 630 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi. Sorry about the unbalanced score. I am afraid BSchools want a higher score than Q37. I think you should aim for at least Q44 (that's the lowest for an artistic/marketing people I have seen and then also plan to have a higher Verbal score). So push Quant a bit higher. You should focus on arithmetic, word problems and geometry. That should be sufficient to get there. Don't overwhelm yourself and perhaps get the MGMAT Math foundations book to cover whatever else may need covering in the basics department (e.g. division rules, etc). This will make you better and stronger!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Underwhelming and unbalanced 630 [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Kamillentee,

You ask some really great questions. So, for starters, unless you are 100 percent certain that your 630 gets you into your desired business schools, I agree with BB that you should retake the GMAT to improve your quant score. That said, since you scored a Q37 on your latest GMAT, it’s clear that you are lacking the fundamental GMAT quant skills you need for a high score, right? That said, to improve those skills, you need to take a balanced approach of learning and practice. In other words you need to follow a study plan that allows you to individually learn each GMAT quant topic and then practice each topic until you've gained mastery. Studying in such a way will allow you to methodically improve your GMAT quant skills by filling in gaps and knowledge and ultimately will greatly improve your quant confidence. Let me expand on this idea further.

For example, if you are learning about Number Properties, you should develop as much conceptual knowledge about Number Properties as possible. In other words, your goal will be to completely understand properties of factorials, perfect squares, quadratic patterns, LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, and remainders, to name a few concepts. After carefully reviewing the conceptual underpinnings of how to answer Number Properties questions, practice by answering 50 or more questions just from Number Properties. When you do dozens of questions of the same type one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to around at least 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant topics.

When you are working on learning to answer questions of a particular type, start off taking your time, and then seek to speed up as you get more comfortable answering questions of that type. As you do such practice, do a thorough analysis of each question that you don't get right. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By carefully analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant skills.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently. The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant courses.

You also may find it helpful to read this article about How To Increase Your GMAT Quant Score.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kamillentee,

To start, a 630 is a solid Score - and from what you describe, it's above the average GMAT Score at the Programs that you're interested in. With a 630, you're actually closer to a 650+ than you probably realize though. You appear to consistently perform at a high level in the Verbal section, so a bit of Quant-focused study might be all that you need to significantly improve on this 630. Many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program - and a Q37 won't impress anyone (it might also be seen as a 'red flag' at certain Programs). That score implies that you were okay on many of the 'math questions' that you faced, but you made a lot of little mistakes on Test Day and you missed out on LOTS of 'strategy-based' points. This is meant to say that by focusing on Quant Tactics, you'll be better able to increase your GMAT Score AND better impress how Business School Admissions Officers will view your potential to handle the Program.

1) Do you have an idea of what date you would want to retake the GMAT?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GPA: 3.5
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Underwhelming and unbalanced 630 [#permalink]
Kudos
I would recommend targettestprep for quant. A rigorous amount of practice over a month on their portal is sufficient to get your score to q49.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Kamillentee,

To start, a 630 is a solid Score - and from what you describe, it's above the average GMAT Score at the Programs that you're interested in. With a 630, you're actually closer to a 650+ than you probably realize though. You appear to consistently perform at a high level in the Verbal section, so a bit of Quant-focused study might be all that you need to significantly improve on this 630. Many Business Schools view an Applicant's Quant Scaled Score as an indicator of how that Applicant might handle the 'academic side' of the Program - and a Q37 won't impress anyone (it might also be seen as a 'red flag' at certain Programs). That score implies that you were okay on many of the 'math questions' that you faced, but you made a lot of little mistakes on Test Day and you missed out on LOTS of 'strategy-based' points. This is meant to say that by focusing on Quant Tactics, you'll be better able to increase your GMAT Score AND better impress how Business School Admissions Officers will view your potential to handle the Program.

1) Do you have an idea of what date you would want to retake the GMAT?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

Rich

Hi guys,

sorry for the late reply, I've been a bit preoccupied in the last few weeks and wanted to gather my thoughts before replying. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and valuable advice, especially to bb, ScottTargetTestPrep and EMPOWERgmatRichC. I've been suspecting the same thing about my Quant score, that it could potentially be considered a "red flag" for any application, even if I make it over the 600 hurdle.

As I've applied now for a few schools with this score (most programs are closing their admission periods soon), I am not under pressure for a retake. However, I am in favor of retaking the test for several reasons. Firstly, I might get rejected at some schools and could improve my chances there, secondly a better score might get me into schools I haven't even considered yet, thirdly a higher score could benefit me in some of the programs, e.g. when applying for exchange semesters etc., and last but not least, I am dissatisfied with my score and want to do better.

As for the date, I will be pretty busy with work and a long-planned vacation in June, meaning that I could pick GMAT Prep back up realistically by the end of June/beginning of July. My goal would then be to take the test somewhen in September or August, depending on the time needed to improve.

To answer your second question, EMPOWERgmatRichC, I think it is realistic that I can dedicate a similar time to the GMAT prep until the retake. Meaning, ideally an hour per day between Monday and Friday and more on the weekends. I could probably fit in a few days off work to study more intensively, to an extent similar to that of the weekend. Granted that Summer is arriving in Europe and I might "have to" go to the lake occasionally, I guess 10-12 hrs per week seem realistic to me.

What would your recommendation under these circumstances? How much time would you recommend to take for prep? Or should I make it dependent on the mock test scores and then sign up, once I have reached a certain consistent level? However, I think that at some point, you just have to sign up to get in the "mode"..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kamillentee,

This next phase of your studies will depend on a couple of factors. First, GMAT skills tend to 'fade' over time, so if you're not going to be back to a consistent study routine until the end of June, then some 'review time' might be needed to make sure that you've retained your existing skill set. Second, your overall Score Goal will help to define the amount of additional study time that you'll likely need. There's a significant difference between raising a 630 to a 650 and raising a 630 to a 700, so you have to be clear on the type of Score that you're after - so that we can up with an appropriate Study Plan for that Goal.

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kamillentee,

Honestly, it’s difficult to give you an exact time frame for improving your quant score. That said, if you are motivated to improve your score, I don’t think it’s necessary to blindly sign up for a test date, as you want to give yourself as much time as you need to prepare.

Regarding HOW to study, I recommend following the advice I provided above. I know you have another 6 weeks or so before you dive back in, but once you do, feel free to reach out with further questions.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts