Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:44 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1529 [98]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT Date: 08-01-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64988 [31]
Given Kudos: 429
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [4]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: EnterMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 3.3
WE:Editorial and Writing (Education)
Send PM
Re: Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded [#permalink]
Kudos
The explanation above for D and E is not correct.
There is no such rule about Unlike. See Q32 in the Verbal Review for reference.
D is missing a semicolon before the word instead.
E violates subject-verb agreement by using were instead of was.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 949 [2]
Given Kudos: 142
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V47
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Mountain14 wrote:
Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; the thoroughness of the design submission was also factored into the decision

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;
    This year, unlike last year, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;
    Unlike the previous year’s bidding, this year the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;
    Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the bidding for the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost, instead
    Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract’s bidding this year were awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;

D is wrong cause 'instead' is not a conjunction that can join two clauses.
E is wrong cause the plural 'were' doesn't fit with singular 'the contract's bidding'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
try to take the perspective of meaning. this help us not remember the grammar rule and this is the way gmat play the sc game.

whenever we see "like", ask yourself, dose two nouns do the same action/verb.

bidding can not be like the contract in that they both are awarded to the firm. "bidding" can not be awarded to the firm.
"contract" can be awarded to the firms logically

with thingking of above point, we can eliminate all the choices except B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 999 [1]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:
Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; the thoroughness of the design submission was also factored into the decision

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;
    This year, unlike last year, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;
    Unlike the previous year’s bidding, this year the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;
    Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the bidding for the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost, instead
    Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract’s bidding this year were awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;

Responding to a pm:

Two independent clauses can be joined by a semi colon or a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or, yet etc). Here, we are using a semi colon.

The problem with (D) is a comma splice. "Instead" is a conjunctive adverb. It cannot act as a coordinating conjunction. When we make "instead" act as a conjunction, we need to use a semi colon - it's actually the semi colon that joins the clauses together. Also, we must use a comma after a conjunctive adverb.

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the bidding for the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; instead, the thoroughness of the design submission was also factored into the decision.

Also note the meaning error. You do not award bidding to a firm. You award the contract. (D) is incorrect since it awards bidding.

I'm confused on this question. I thought the rule for independent clauses joined by a semi-colon was that each clause can stand on its own. Choice B says "This year, unlike last year, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost" -- this cannot stand on its own. Am I missing something?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64988 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nycgirl212 wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Two independent clauses can be joined by a semi colon or a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or, yet etc). Here, we are using a semi colon.

The problem with (D) is a comma splice. "Instead" is a conjunctive adverb. It cannot act as a coordinating conjunction. When we make "instead" act as a conjunction, we need to use a semi colon - it's actually the semi colon that joins the clauses together. Also, we must use a comma after a conjunctive adverb.

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the bidding for the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; instead, the thoroughness of the design submission was also factored into the decision.

Also note the meaning error. You do not award bidding to a firm. You award the contract. (D) is incorrect since it awards bidding.

I'm confused on this question. I thought the rule for independent clauses joined by a semi-colon was that each clause can stand on its own. Choice B says "This year, unlike last year, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost" -- this cannot stand on its own. Am I missing something?

Semi colon joins independent clauses with very closely related ideas. It is not necessary that the two clauses need to be independent sentences.

For example, this sentence is fine:
I was tired; however, I could not fall asleep.

"however" connects the two ideas.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 999 [0]
Send PM
nycgirl212 wrote:

Semi colon joins independent clauses with very closely related ideas. It is not necessary that the two clauses need to be independent sentences.

Right, but "I was tired" can stand on its own.

Answer choice B: "This year, unlike last year, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;"

The above answer does not read as an independent clause and doesn't seem like it can stand alone. Can it?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.89
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
nycgirl212 wrote:

Answer choice B: "This year, unlike last year, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;"

The above answer does not read as an independent clause and doesn't seem like it can stand alone. Can it?

Good question. The first clause does not seem to be a complete sentence because of the "not simply." It's like this sentence:

She won not only because she practiced; she also tried the hardest.

"she also tried the hardest" can stand on it's own. And if you take out the "not only," "She won because she practiced" can stand alone. But "not only" and "not simply" require an additional reason in the same clause, don't they?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64988 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nycgirl212 wrote:
nycgirl212 wrote:

There are two individual ideas connected together.
Note that "however, I could not fall sleep" isn't a stand alone sentence either. It is acceptable with the connecting word because the semi colon links together two separate ideas. Similarly, in the original sentence, semi colon connects two separate ideas. Its use is acceptable.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 999 [0]
Send PM

There are two individual ideas connected together.
Note that "however, I could not fall sleep" isn't a stand alone sentence either. It is acceptable with the connecting word because the semi colon links together two separate ideas. Similarly, in the original sentence, semi colon connects two separate ideas. Its use is acceptable.

I see. The second part of the sentence after the semi colon can stand on its own: "the thoroughness of the design submission was also factored into the decision"

So basically a semi colon can join two independent clauses or one independent and one dependent clause (regardless of whether the dependent or independent clause is first)? Is that correct?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
Kudos
This definitely kicks the difficulty of comparison questions up a notch! Great question for people who have the basics of comparisons down and want to try something a bit harder.

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; - This is a comparison error. It compares the previous year's bidding to the contract.

This year, unlike last year, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; - This is the correct answer. Correctly compares this year to last year.

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, this year the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; - Another comparison error. The previous year's bidding compared to this year.

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the bidding for the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost, instead - The comparison is corrected here but the comma followed by the word instead creates a run on sentence.

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract’s bidding this year were awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; - Incorrectly compares the previous year's bidding to the contract's bidding.

Take Away - Be wary of comparison questions where ownership can be used to muddle what is being compared. If you quickly read "the previous year's bidding" you could easily incorrectly think that it's the year that is being compared to something not the bidding of that year.

Also, a good takeaway is to know what words can be used to link two independent clauses. I originally incorrectly assumed instead was one of these and picked D.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Mountain14 wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Hello VeritasPrepKarishma,
Though I agree that B is correct, I thought the construction was "not X but Y". Presence of not in the first clause gives an incomplete feeling.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM

A. Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;

B. This year, unlike last year, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;
--> correct and concise.

C. Unlike the previous year’s bidding, this year the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;

D. Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the bidding for the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost, instead
--> we need a semicolon, not colon. the contract, not bidding was awarded.

E. Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract’s bidding this year were awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;
-->the contract, not bidding was awarded.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
warriorguy wrote:
Mountain14 wrote:

Responding to a pm:

Hello VeritasPrepKarishma,
Though I agree that B is correct, I thought the construction was "not X but Y". Presence of not in the first clause gives an incomplete feeling.

Agree with you on that incomplete feeling. The presence of not only commands but also or but , but the presence of not doesn't command the presence of but. The sentence is simply a negated one which we are not used of seeing often on gmat.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
Send PM

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; Wrong comparison
    This year, unlike last year, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; correct comparison and correct
    Unlike the previous year’s bidding, this year the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; Wrong comparison
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 794
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.15
Send PM
Hi mikemcgarry, chetan2u, GMATNinja

I am a bit confused here. Doesn't the 1st part of the sentence need to be a complete logical sentence for option B to be correct?
I feel that the first part of the sentence cannot stand alone as a complete sentence.
Am I missing something?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
B is the right answer.
A& C have comparison problems
D&E have a subtle meaning error. They say that the bidding for the contract was awarded instead of saying the contract was awarded.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28583 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
darn wrote:
I am a bit confused here. Doesn't the 1st part of the sentence need to be a complete logical sentence for option B to be correct?
I feel that the first part of the sentence cannot stand alone as a complete sentence.
Am I missing something?

Dear darn,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, your question was not clear. One of the habits of excellence is putting tremendous effort into the art of crafting high quality questions. See:
Asking Excellent Questions
First of all, asking high quality questions is an important step in your own growth process. Moreover, if you are going to solicit the aid of multiple experts, out of respect for their time you really should make sure that you are asking a perfectly clear question.

Here's (B), which is the entire part of the sentence before the semicolon:

When you say "the first part of the sentence," do you mean
(a) the first part of choice (B)?
(b) the entire part before the semicolon, i.e. all of (B)?

If (a), what do you consider the first part, and why do you think it needs to be a complete sentence?
If (b), then in what way do you feel that it "cannot stand alone as a complete sentence."

My challenge to you is to read that linked blog post and then write the most intelligent and the most thoughtful question you possibly can about this issue.

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts