It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 07:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 540

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Re: Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2017, 23:40
HarveyS wrote:
Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; the thoroughness of the design submission was also factored into the decision

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;
    This year, unlike last year, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;
    Unlike the previous year’s bidding, this year the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;
    Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the bidding for the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost, instead
    Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract’s bidding this year were awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;

The answer is B
Unlike the previous year's bidding should be compared with the bidding this year.
C is out
D and E are out because of meaning .The contract is awarded based on the bidding .
Bidding is process which allows interested people to bid for a certain product and the product is awarded to individual who bid highest .

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 540

VP
VP
P

Kudos [?]: 296 [0], given: 165

Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 15:30
Dear mikemcgarry,

I hope you are well :-)

In Choice D & E, there is something interesting. Regardless of SV agreement in E and instead in D, I spotted another strange meaning.

D) Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the bidding for the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost, instead

E) Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract’s bidding this year were awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;

How come 'the bidding was awarded'? it is nonsensical meaning. The contract should be awarded not the bidding.

What do you think??

Thanks in advance

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8739 [0], given: 105

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 16:15
Mo2men wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry,

In Choice D & E, there is something interesting. Regardless of SV agreement in E and instead in D, I spotted another strange meaning.

D) Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the bidding for the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost, instead

E) Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract’s bidding this year were awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;

How come 'the bidding was awarded'? it is nonsensical meaning. The contract should be awarded not the bidding.

What do you think??

Thanks in advance

Dear Mo2men,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

With all due respect, I am not sure I understand your question. The phrase "the bidding was awarded" is 100% correct: it's passive, but we don't know the actor and don't care. Nothing here suggests that the contract itself awarded the bidding--I'm unclear how you arrived at that interpretation.

I will be happy to respond if you can clarify your concerns.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

VP
VP
P

Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 17:29
mikemcgarry wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry,

What do you think??

Thanks in advance

Dear Mo2men,

With all due respect, I am not sure I understand your question. The phrase "the bidding was awarded" is 100% correct: it's passive, but we don't know the actor and don't care. Nothing here suggests that the contract itself awarded the bidding--I'm unclear how you arrived at that interpretation.

I will be happy to respond if you can clarify your concerns.

Dear mikemcgarry

In the business world, the bidding is a Process in which companies submit proposals, committee formed to review them and then choose a company. The result will be a contract that is awarded. It is nonsensical that a process is awarded.

You may consider my analysis is outside knowledge but in business it s elementary

I hope you clarified my point

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 17795 [0], given: 235

Show Tags

New post 04 Oct 2017, 22:50
Mo2men wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry,

What do you think??

Thanks in advance

Check this comment on previous page:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/unlike-the-p ... l#p1373521

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 17795 [0], given: 235

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 10:00
Mo2men wrote:
Dear mikemcgarry

In the business world, the bidding is a Process in which companies submit proposals, committee formed to review them and then choose a company. The result will be a contract that is awarded. It is nonsensical that a process is awarded.

You may consider my analysis is outside knowledge but in business it s elementary

I hope you clarified my point

Dear Mo2men,

I see that you already have a response from the genius VeritasPrepKarishma who fully agrees with you.

Here's what I'll say. Consider an abstract Venn diagram. One circle is what is rigorous logical and the other is what people actually say. There's a ton that people say in every day ordinary conversation that defies all conventions of logic. In this instance, I would say "the bidding was awarded" is one of those things that is technically illogical but clear enough in meaning that it probably would pass in context. To my ear, it sounds like something not so jarringly illogical---I think it would pass in conversation.

Of course, any OA on the GMAT would be squarely in the intersection region of that abstract Venn diagram, rigorously logically correct and natural to say. It's true that we can eliminate wrong answer choices that make grossly illogical mistakes. In (D) & (E), I would say that we're in a gray area: if we use our knowledge of the business world, we can see that this is technically illogical, but it also sounds a little like something that would pass in conversation. The GMAT is NOT going to hand you a choice of this sort. Even in this Veritas question, (D) & (E) are wrong for other reasons, and then there's also this funky gray-area thing--that is, very much how anything gray-area appears on the GMAT.

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior SC Moderator
D

Kudos [?]: 1293 [0], given: 433

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2017, 20:38
HarveyS wrote:
Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost; the thoroughness of the design submission was also factored into the decision

(A) Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;

(B) This year, unlike last year, the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;

(C) Unlike the previous year’s bidding, this year the contract was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;

(D) Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the bidding for the contract this year was awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost, instead

(E) Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract’s bidding this year were awarded not simply to the firm offering to complete the work on time for the least cost;

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

Correct answer: (B)

The word “unlike” indicates that parallel structure is probably being tested.

In (A), we have “Unlike . . the bidding” . . . “the contract.” But the bidding is not unlike the contract; they’re not being compared.

Similarly, (C) compares “the previous year’s bidding” to “this year,” but you can’t compare “bidding” to “year.”

Choice (B), the correct choice, compares “This year” to “last year”–a logical comparison.

Choice (D) correctly compares “bidding” to “bidding,” but creates a comma splice; a semicolon, not a comma should be used to join independent clauses. This is a Sentence Construction error that results in a run-on sentence.

Choice (E) awkwardly modifies “bidding” with “contract’s.” The bidding is not the possession of the contract.

Furthermore, this choice has an agreement problem: the singular “bidding” takes “was,” not “were.”

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1293 [0], given: 433

Re: Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2017, 20:38

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 27 posts ] 

Unlike the previous year’s bidding, the contract this year was awarded

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap