Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 11:53 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 11:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619458 [56]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29958 [21]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [3]
Given Kudos: 129
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20723 [4]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Re: Vladimir plays a game in which he reveals cards one-at-a-time from the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
Vladimir plays a game in which he reveals cards one-at-a-time from the top of a shuffled standard deck of cards (consisting of 52 cards total: 13 in each of the four suits clubs, diamonds, hearts, and spades). If Vladimir reveals a heart, he wins. If he reveals a diamond, the game continues. If he reveals a club or a spade, he loses. What is the probability that Vladimir wins the game?

A. \(\frac{1}{4}\)

B. \(\frac{13}{51}\)

C. \(\frac{4}{13}\)

D. \(\frac{1}{3}\)

E. \(\frac{1}{2}\)

Official solution from Veritas Prep.

We can ignore the diamond outcomes of this game, since they really have no effect at all on the probability – a diamond just means “try again.” Really the only outcomes that matter are hearts, clubs, and spades. That’s 39 total outcomes, of which 13 are wins. The answer is thus \(\frac{13}{39}=\frac{1}{3}\). D is correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Vladimir plays a game in which he reveals cards one-at-a-time from the [#permalink]
Kudos
Can someone please provide another way to solve this problem?

Is this approach below wrong? I cannot determine because it is not complete.

The question talks about the probability of winning so clubs and spades can be left out.
A. Hearts: In the first try, you get a heart so a win (Calculate probability: selecting Hearts out of the 4 sets and selecting 1 heart out of 13).
B. Diamonds: Possible cases are DH, DDH, DDDH, .....until 13Ds H. (calculate probability)
=> Sum of A+B = answer
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6126 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Re: Vladimir plays a game in which he reveals cards one-at-a-time from the [#permalink]
Chef wrote:

The question talks about the probability of winning so clubs and spades can be left out.
A. Hearts: In the first try, you get a heart so a win (Calculate probability: selecting Hearts out of the 4 sets and selecting 1 heart out of 13).
B. Diamonds: Possible cases are DH, DDH, DDDH, .....until 13Ds H. (calculate probability)
=> Sum of A+B = answer

In case B, the case DH is considered H. Likewise, DDH is considered H, and D...DH is considered H. Hence, we could left out diamond cards in the deck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Chef wrote:

=> Sum of A+B = answer

In case B, the case DH is considered H. Likewise, DDH is considered H, and D...DH is considered H. Hence, we could left out diamond cards in the deck.

-----------------

But why? Question says one at a time. So on the first try D and then an H, similarly DDH.... Did not understand why we should leave out the diamonds. If we did, wouldn't it just be the same as H on the first try (A)?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6126 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
Chef wrote:
nguyendinhtuong wrote:
Chef wrote:

=> Sum of A+B = answer

-----------------

But why? Question says one at a time. So on the first try D and then an H, similarly DDH.... Did not understand why we should leave out the diamonds. If we did, wouldn't it just be the same as H on the first try (A)?

Yes, one at a time. But the question also said that "If he reveals a diamond, the game continues". This means the game continues until he reveals a card that is not a diamond.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Send PM
@Bunuel
Please provided your explanation.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619458 [1]
Given Kudos: 81611
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
Vladimir plays a game in which he reveals cards one-at-a-time from the top of a shuffled standard deck of cards (consisting of 52 cards total: 13 in each of the four suits clubs, diamonds, hearts, and spades). If Vladimir reveals a heart, he wins. If he reveals a diamond, the game continues. If he reveals a club or a spade, he loses. What is the probability that Vladimir wins the game?

A. 1/4

B.13/51

C. 4/13

D. 1/3

E. 1/2

Veritas Prep Official Solution:

We can ignore the diamond outcomes of this game, since they really have no effect at all on the probability – a diamond just means “try again.” Really the only outcomes that matter are hearts, clubs, and spades. That’s 39 total outcomes, of which 13 are wins. The answer is thus 13/39 = 1/3. D is correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [4]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Vladimir plays a game in which he reveals cards one-at-a-time from the [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:

Veritas Prep Official Solution:

We can ignore the diamond outcomes of this game, since they really have no effect at all on the probability – a diamond just means “try again.” Really the only outcomes that matter are hearts, clubs, and spades. That’s 39 total outcomes, of which 13 are wins. The answer is thus 13/39 = 1/3. D is correct.

Bunuel - I have a doubt here. I understand that my method is slightly longer but seems well within the stipulated time (1min 30s) to solve it.

P (Winning) = 1/4 (getting a heart in the first go) + 1/4*1/4 (getting a diamond and then getting a heart in the second go) + 1/4*1/4*1/4..... goes on infinitely till he wins. Here we can see, that this equation forms an infinite GP, where r < 1. Hence, to determine the sum we can use the GP formula = (b1/ 1-r)

==> (1/4) / (1-1/4)
==> (1/4) / (3/4)
==> 1/3

I wanted to understand if this method is correct as well, as this can be used for similar questions where P(getting a diamond) DOES count. Please let me know!

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
I think that your formulation of probability is incorrect because it doesn't account for the progressive reduction in the total number of remaining cards from all the disposed diamond cards.

I believe the correct formulation is:

\(P = \frac{13}{52}+\frac{13}{52}(\frac{13}{51}+\frac{12}{51}(\frac{13}{50}+\frac{11}{50}(...(\frac{13}{40}+\frac{1}{40}(\frac{13}{39}))))))))))))\)

The problem is still solvable using this terribly clunky mess, albeit in a thoroughly horrible way.

First, we can quickly eliminate A and E because those are the probabilities of winning on the first reveal and losing on the first reveal, respectively.

So it is between B, C, and D, with B < C < D. There is no need to calculate the actual probability. It suffices to determine whether the solution is equal to, less than, or greater than C.

For starters we can notice that the first two terms in the above sum are:

\(\frac{1}{4}+\frac{13}{52}*\frac{13}{51} > \frac{1}{4}+\frac{13}{52}*\frac{13}{52} =\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{16}\)

So \(P > \frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{16}\), since all of the terms are positive.

We can also notice that:

Answer \(C = \frac{4}{13} = \frac{1}{4}+\frac{12}{208} < \frac{1}{4}+\frac{13}{208} = \frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{16} < P\)

Therefore the probability is greater than that of answer C, which gives us the correct answer of D.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6281 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

A. 1/4

B.13/51

C. 4/13

D. 1/3

E. 1/2

We should observe that diamonds have no effect in this game; a diamond draw is simply followed by another draw. Therefore, the probability of winning is not affected if we remove all the diamond cards from the deck, leaving us with 39 cards (13 hearts and 26 clubs and spades). After removing the diamonds, Vladimir has 13/39 = 1/3 chance of drawing a heart and winning the game.

Answer: D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:

A. 1/4

B.13/51

C. 4/13

D. 1/3

E. 1/2

Hi Bunuel,
My approach to this question is like this :
Since any diamond would win and there are equal number of each type of cards we have a total of 4 possibilities.
but club or spade= loss hence out of 4 there are 3 different possibities. Hence the chance of winning will be 1/3.
Please let me know if my approach is right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
dystq You are correct. As someone with an academic applied statistics background, I can tell you that the question is both poorly worded for a probstat nerd and well-worded for the GMAT. The problem should make it very clear they are talking about the expected value as there a ton of ways to model such a scenario. However, after thinking more than the usual 2 minutes about this problem (i need to practice self control in study mode), all reasonable models using information only given in the question (including conditional models as you've suggested) will converge to the expected value. I skimmed past the sentence where diamonds don't count for shanything so I got it wrong.

Anyways, question doesn't say that a "shuffled standard deck of cards" means randomized nor does it say if the revealed card is placed "randomly" or not back into the deck. Apparently *the* "standard deck of cards" is so "standard" that they even provide explicit and detailed information about its contents. They should simply ask "A single Slavic human has odds of 1 to 3 to win a game. What is the human's probability of winning this game?" At least you have to know how to convert odds to probability :lol: :cry: :lol:

goforgmat Your reasoning is the same as mine. I believe it is correct.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92955 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts