GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Apr 2019, 01:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

What is the probability of tossing a coin five times and having heads

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
What is the probability of tossing a coin five times and having heads  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2009, 06:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

60% (01:57) correct 40% (02:11) wrong based on 105 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

What is the probability of tossing a coin five times and having heads appear at least two times?

A) 1/32
B) 1/16
C) 15/16
D) 13/16
E) 7/8
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Re: What is the probability of tossing a coin five times and having heads  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2009, 06:54
If 'n' coins are tossed there will
nc0 outcomes in which n coins will show head
nc1 outcomes in which 1 head will appear
and so on

Here 5 coins are tossed so the total outcomes = 2 ^5 = 32

Outcomes in which atleast 2 heads will appear = 32 - 5c0 - 5c1 = 26

Prob atleast two heads will appear = 26/32 = 13/16
Manager
Manager
Re: What is the probability of tossing a coin five times and having heads  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2009, 07:52
Sorry man, but I dont get this

If 'n' coins are tossed there will
nc0 outcomes in which n coins will show head
nc1 outcomes in which 1 head will appear
and so on

Would you please explain me better,

Is there any other way easier

YOu are correct with your answer but I can-t understand it yet

HELP!

hehe
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2009, 20:00
Let take an example if 2 coins are tossed the total outcome= 2 ^n = 2 ^2 = 4 ( HH,HT,TH,TT)

The number of outcome 0 head can appear = nc0 = 2c0 = 1 ( TT )
The number of outcome 1 head can appear = nc1 = 2c1 = 2 (HT,TH)
The number of outcome 2 head can appear = nc2 = 2c2 = 1 (HH)

The same rule i have generalised and put below. U need to follow the same for 5 coins.

I have proved it above for 2 coins so same for other values of n.

Hope u got it.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 08:31
Here is another way to do it, although longer, but it may help you:

Total outcomes = 2^5 = 32
Outcomes which 2 heads appear = 5C2 = 5!/2!3! = 10
Outcomes which 3 heads appear = 5C3 = 5!/3!2! = 10
Outcomes which 4 heads appear = 5C4 = 5!/4!1! = 5
Outcomes which 5 heads appear = 5C5 = 5!/5!0! = 1

Sum selected outcomes = 10+10+5+1 = 26

Selected outcomes / total outcomes = 26/32 = 13/16
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 09:33
Thank you man ,

Now it did Help

I don't know how to get better in probability it is painful for me

DO you know if Prob, combinatorics and perm show very often on the GMAT?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2009, 12:09
I haven't taken the exam yet, but in my practice exams they see to show up pretty regularly (GMATPrep) and they are in the OG books (which are older GMAT questions). If I were you I would keep working on them, it took me a while to grasp the concepts but there are a lot of great posts on here which will help you as well as external links that people have posted for additional help.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2009, 07:23
I finally knew how to solve this onein an easier way

first of all lets get what we don-t want...

I don't want TAILS so

T T T T T = 1/32

and I don-t want one head either

H T T T T = 5/32

SO I don-t want either a 1/32 or 5/32

so we get 6/32

and now 32/32 - 6/32 = 26/32

getting final answer 13/16

Very interesting question

What do you think?
Intern
Intern
Schools: UCLA Anderson

Show Tags

New post 24 Mar 2010, 14:16
TheRob wrote:
I finally knew how to solve this onein an easier way

first of all lets get what we don-t want...

I don't want TAILS so

T T T T T = 1/32

and I don-t want one head either

H T T T T = 5/32

SO I don-t want either a 1/32 or 5/32

so we get 6/32

and now 32/32 - 6/32 = 26/32

getting final answer 13/16

Very interesting question

What do you think?

I agree. One way to look at these "at least" probability questions is to take 1 - P(event not happening)

In this case, the probability of at least two heads is 1 - P(less than two heads), which means
1 - [P(zero heads) + P(one head)] which is

= 1 - (5C0/32 + 5C1/32)
= 1 - (1/32 + 5/32)

= 26/32

13/26

answer D
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2010, 02:19
In questions involving Coins, its always safe to use to combinations which are less in number...

for example in question above we need to find out probability of at least 2 heads, which also means that we can just find probability when number of heads <2 i.e. no heads at all or just 1 head...then whatever is the outcome we just need to subtract it from 1.

total outcome = 1 - P(no heads+ 1head)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2010, 14:39
tkarthi4u, unless I'm doing this wrong that method doesn't work on this example: Let's say 5 coins are tossed, what is the probablility that 3 will be tails?

Total outcome = 32

Outcome of 3 tails appearing = 32-5C0-5C1-5C2 = 16
16/32 = 1/2 but that isn't the correct answer

Please advise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2010, 16:35
Friends, seems like there is a lot of confusion regarding questions of this type.

This question is a typical binomial probability question. Situations where there are only two possibilities that can happen, a coin is flipped and the outcome is either a heads or tails. A baby is born, and the possibility is a boy or a girl. This can however be extended to situations when a dice is rolled. Probability of getting a particular number against probability of not getting the desired number.

Now, let's extrapolate the situation to multiple trials. Let's say n trials were made, and we define a particular occurrence as a success event, the non-occurrence is thus a failure event, and r such successes are counted. The probability of each success event is p, and therefore, the probability of each failure event is q = 1-p. We need to identify the probability of r successes in n trials.

This particular situation was studied by a famous mathematician by the name Bernoulli. Hence, these are called Bernoulli's trials. And the formula goes - [nCr]*[p^(r)]*[q^(n-r)].

When a coin is flipped 5 times, probability of 2 heads/tails, note that the success events can be random, the order of success events is not considered in this situation, would be [5C2]*[(1/2)^(2)]*[(1/2)^(3)] = 5/16.

Consider a dice is rolled 8 times, probability of getting a 4 exactly 3 times would be [8C3]*[(1/6)^(3)]*[(5/6)^(5)].

Now, occurrence of a particular event at least r times would mean, non-occurrence of the event for n-r times. We can count accordingly, depending on values for n and r. Sum of all probabilities of desired events, r ranging from 0 to n, will be equal to 1.

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2010, 04:25
BarneyStinson wrote:
Friends, seems like there is a lot of confusion regarding questions of this type.

This question is a typical binomial probability question. Situations where there are only two possibilities that can happen, a coin is flipped and the outcome is either a heads or tails. A baby is born, and the possibility is a boy or a girl. This can however be extended to situations when a dice is rolled. Probability of getting a particular number against probability of not getting the desired number.

Now, let's extrapolate the situation to multiple trials. Let's say n trials were made, and we define a particular occurrence as a success event, the non-occurrence is thus a failure event, and r such successes are counted. The probability of each success event is p, and therefore, the probability of each failure event is q = 1-p. We need to identify the probability of r successes in n trials.

This particular situation was studied by a famous mathematician by the name Bernoulli. Hence, these are called Bernoulli's trials. And the formula goes - [nCr]*[p^(r)]*[q^(n-r)].

When a coin is flipped 5 times, probability of 2 heads/tails, note that the success events can be random, the order of success events is not considered in this situation, would be [5C2]*[(1/2)^(2)]*[(1/2)^(3)] = 5/16.

Consider a dice is rolled 8 times, probability of getting a 4 exactly 3 times would be [8C3]*[(1/6)^(3)]*[(5/6)^(5)].

Now, occurrence of a particular event at least r times would mean, non-occurrence of the event for n-r times. We can count accordingly, depending on values for n and r. Sum of all probabilities of desired events, r ranging from 0 to n, will be equal to 1.

Nice explanation regarding Binomial distribution.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2015, 04:17
TheRob wrote:
What is the probability of tossing a coin five times and having heads appear at least two times?

A) 1/32
B) 1/16
C) 15/16
D) 13/16
E) 7/8

The best and the fastest way to do a problem which talks about at least scenarios is to subtract the probability of that scenario happening from the total frequency.
Note: The probability of the scenario that you have to subtract will almost always be of a small number of cases.

Coming to this question:

Total cases = 2^5 = 32

Case 1: No heads = 5C0 = 1
Case 2: 1 heads = 5C1 = 5

Hence The cases which we need are 32 - 1 - 5 = 26

Probability = 26/32 = 13/16
Option D
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2017, 10:00
We need to calculate the probability of having at least 2 heads after tossing a coin 5 times.

=> Calculate the probability of having 0 head and probability of having 1 head, then deduct that from 1 to find the answer.

Probability of having 0 head (T-T-T-T-T)= [(1/2)^5] = 1/32
Probability of having 1 head = [(1/2)^5]*5(positions of head) = 5/32

=> Probability of having at least 2 heads after tossing 5 coins = 1 - 1/32 -5/32 = 26/32 = 23/32
GMAT Club Bot
Re: What is the probability of tossing a coin five times and having heads   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2017, 10:00

What is the probability of tossing a coin five times and having heads

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap