GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Dec 2018, 09:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • $450 Tuition Credit & Official CAT Packs FREE

     December 15, 2018

     December 15, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Get the complete Official GMAT Exam Pack collection worth $100 with the 3 Month Pack ($299)
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

     December 16, 2018

     December 16, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51218
When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 22:32
14
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:39) correct 52% (01:45) wrong based on 555 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and employees of those industries benefit but the majority of consumers pay more for those products and find that there are fewer of their tax dollars available for policies they prefer. Unsurprisingly, polling indicates that most people see industry-specific subsidies as unfavorable. Consequently, political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies.

The argument above assumes which of the following?


A. Most voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies.

B. Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.

C. Voters are only motivated by the way that policies directly impact themselves personally.

D. Political candidates should only support policies that increase their likelihood of being elected.

E. Subsidies specific to a particular industry do not stimulate the economy enough to benefit employees in other industries.

_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Joined: 21 Jan 2015
Posts: 357
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 22:53
Bunuel wrote:
When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and employees of those industries benefit but the majority of consumers pay more for those products and find that there are fewer of their tax dollars available for policies they prefer. Unsurprisingly, polling indicates that most people see industry-specific subsidies as unfavorable. Consequently, political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies.

The argument above assumes which of the following?


A. Most voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies.

B. Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.

C. Voters are only motivated by the way that policies directly impact themselves personally.

D. Political candidates should only support policies that increase their likelihood of being elected.

E. Subsidies specific to a particular industry do not stimulate the economy enough to benefit employees in other industries.


Ans: C (IMO)

I am confused between C & D and going with C. I think C is more up to the mark here.
_________________

--------------------------------------------------------------------
The Mind is Everything, What we Think we Become.

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.3
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2018, 22:56
CORRECT ANSWER B.


Here the conclusion is that:-

the likelihood of getting elected is higher if the politician opposes Industry specific subsidies.


A. Most voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies...Wrong.. Well informed? Very well. Does it guarantee that they are going to take the trouble of walking under the sun and voting for their favourite cadidate? NO.

B. Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies. ..CORRECT... This is the correct assumption because if we negate this then we see that PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT SUBSIDIES ARE MORE LIKELY TO VOTE THAN ARE THOSE WHO OPPOSE SUBSIDIES. It definitely hurts the conclusion.

C. Voters are only motivated by the way that policies directly impact themselves personally....Wrong. We're are not concerned whether voters are impacted directly or indirectly by the policies. Also, voters' motivation does not talk about the politician's likelihood of getting elected

D. Political candidates should only support policies that increase their likelihood of being elected.-------Wrong. It does not talk about the people who are going to elect them.

E. Subsidies specific to a particular industry do not stimulate the economy enough to benefit employees in other industries. ----Out of scope. We're not concerned about what happens to employees of other industries.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 164
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Other)
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 03:12
1
I think the answer should be B
A: Even if the voters are well informed or not, it doesn't culminate to actual votes. There may be other factors affecting the judgment of the voters.
B: If those who support subsidies are more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies, then the politician opposing the subsidies will lose. Hence the negation of argument weakens the conclusion. Therefore, it may be the solution.
C: Directly or indirectly is not the crust of the argument. Hence it can be eliminated. Again this option is bit extreme.
D: Very close. IF B is incorrect then D is definitely the answer. The problem is that the tone is extreme because it speaks about only one strategy and ignores the others that may exist
E: clearly out of scope.
_________________

If you feel the post helped you then do send me the kudos (damn theya re more valuable than $)

VP
VP
User avatar
D
Status: Learning
Joined: 20 Dec 2015
Posts: 1066
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 06:26
Bunuel wrote:
When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and employees of those industries benefit but the majority of consumers pay more for those products and find that there are fewer of their tax dollars available for policies they prefer. Unsurprisingly, polling indicates that most people see industry-specific subsidies as unfavorable. Consequently, political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies.

The argument above assumes which of the following?


A. Most voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies.

B. Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.

C. Voters are only motivated by the way that policies directly impact themselves personally.

D. Political candidates should only support policies that increase their likelihood of being elected.

E. Subsidies specific to a particular industry do not stimulate the economy enough to benefit employees in other industries.


Imo C

B IF we negate B then it is clear that folks who support subsidies are more likely to vote than those who do not support subsidies . Here is the catch we do not the absolute numbers so we can not say which group will have more number of votes so we can not decide .

C on the other hand is more direct . Folks oppose subsidies because of the reduced tax dollars they do not get good policies .If we negate C the argument falls apart as folks are now impartial to the subsidies.
_________________

Please give kudos if you found my answers useful

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 18 Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Location: India
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.3
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 06:39
arvind910619 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and employees of those industries benefit but the majority of consumers pay more for those products and find that there are fewer of their tax dollars available for policies they prefer. Unsurprisingly, polling indicates that most people see industry-specific subsidies as unfavorable. Consequently, political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies.

The argument above assumes which of the following?


A. Most voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies.

B. Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.

C. Voters are only motivated by the way that policies directly impact themselves personally.

D. Political candidates should only support policies that increase their likelihood of being elected.

E. Subsidies specific to a particular industry do not stimulate the economy enough to benefit employees in other industries.


Imo C

B IF we negate B then it is clear that folks who support subsidies are more likely to vote than those who do not support subsidies . Here is the catch we do not the absolute numbers so we can not say which group will have more number of votes so we can not decide .

C on the other hand is more direct . Folks oppose subsidies because of the reduced tax dollars they do not get good policies .If we negate C the argument falls apart as folks are now impartial to the subsidies.



Hey Bunuel,

But isn't C out of scope? What relation does motivation has with voting for candidates? For instance:- X is motivated but does it guarantee that X is going to cast his vote?
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 26 Aug 2016
Posts: 628
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 07:02
I think only A and C are contenders. Here, A says that ELECTED representative's stand, but the stimulus is talking about the politicians who are contending the elections i.e. not yet elected.

SO, Answer boils down only to C.

Can you please post the OA.
Manager
Manager
avatar
G
Joined: 26 Dec 2017
Posts: 157
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 08:32
Imo b is correct.
Although c also has no issue to be answer but it is more general than specific to subject imo.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

--If you like my post pls give kudos

Manager
Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 07 Apr 2018
Posts: 105
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 09:16
Correct Answer- B

B) Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.
If we negate this option, the argument falls apart.

Let's do the negation test:

Conclusion: " political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies" - If Political candidates oppose subsidies, then they will increase their likelihood of being elected.

Negated option B- Those who support subsidies are significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.
If people who support subsidies are more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies, then the Political candidate who is opposing the subsidies can't be elected.

Therefore, Option B is the correct answer.

C) Voters are only motivated by the way that policies directly impact themselves personally.
Option C is talking about voter's motivation.Motivation doesn't guarantee a vote from voters.
Rule-out
_________________

Please +1 kudos if my post/reply helps !!

Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 09 Mar 2017
Posts: 524
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
CAT Tests
When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 09:52
Great options! Very subtle and tricky as hell.


What if people who oppose such subsidies are not eligible to vote and those who favor the subsidies are the only eligible voters?
So even if the candidate opposes the subsidies, he will not get any vote. He will not win in that case.
B eliminates such cases and hence, is required to be assumed.


--B--

For the C- contenders, consider the negated version:

Voters are not solely motivated by the way that policies directly impact themselves personally.
Fine, the voters are also motivated by economic impacts. What if voters are 2% motivated by economic impacts and 98% motivated by personal impacts? The conclusion still holds , when we are expecting it to fall apart on negation of this option.
C is weakened by the word 'ONLY' here.

_________________

------------------------------
"Trust the timing of your life"
Hit Kudus if this has helped you get closer to your goal, and also to assist others save time. Tq :)

SC Moderator
User avatar
D
Joined: 13 Apr 2015
Posts: 1687
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2018, 18:01
1
Question Type: Assumption

Argument: Political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies

A. Most voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies. - Negate: Most voters are not well informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies. But even if 40% of the voters are well informed, it will increase the candidates likelihood of winning. The conclusion is about the chances of winning. So, this option doesn't destroy the conclusion when negated.

B. Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies. - Correct. Negate B: Those who support subsidies are significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies. This will not increase the candidates likelihood of winning as voters who oppose subsidies are less likely to vote.

C. Voters are only motivated by the way that policies directly impact themselves personally. - Even if they are motivated by policies that impact other aspects, this policy may have an indirect impact on those aspects too.

D. Political candidates should only support policies that increase their likelihood of being elected. - Out of focus. Doesn't talk about the voters impact on the candidates' chances of winning.

E. Subsidies specific to a particular industry do not stimulate the economy enough to benefit employees in other industries. - Irrelevant.

Answer: B
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51218
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 00:23
1
Bunuel wrote:
When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and employees of those industries benefit but the majority of consumers pay more for those products and find that there are fewer of their tax dollars available for policies they prefer. Unsurprisingly, polling indicates that most people see industry-specific subsidies as unfavorable. Consequently, political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies.

The argument above assumes which of the following?


A. Most voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies.

B. Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.

C. Voters are only motivated by the way that policies directly impact themselves personally.

D. Political candidates should only support policies that increase their likelihood of being elected.

E. Subsidies specific to a particular industry do not stimulate the economy enough to benefit employees in other industries.


VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:



As you assess the argument here looking for gaps in logic, you should see that the main premise in the argument is "in polling, most people find subsidies unfavorable" and the conclusion is that "politicians would therefore be more likely to win if they oppose subsidies." This leaves a pretty large gap: does seeing this one issue as unfavorable mean that most people would actually go and vote for a candidate who opposes that issue?

Anticipate some possible weaknesses in that logic:

-maybe it's an issue most people don't care about very much so it's not a good indicator of how they'll vote

-maybe the people who support subsidies passionately support them and will be sure to vote while those opposed are more apathetic and probably won't vote

However you look at it, recognize that the gap exists between how this particular issue polls and how that will impact votes.

For this reason, choice (B) is correct. If you hold it up to the Assumption Negation Technique, you get: those who support the subsidies are significantly more likely to vote." If this were true, that would cripple the given argument - the only evidence the argument has is that "most people find subsidies unfavorable" but if polling is not a good indication of who will go and vote, that premise loses its predictive power. As anticipated above, (B) suggests a direct impediment between "polling" and "voting."

Among the incorrect answer choices, (C) and (E) are wrong for essentially the same reason: they each suggest reasons that people might actually prefer the subsidies (in (C) it's "what if they themselves don't benefit but they like what the subsidies do for their neighbors" and in (E) it's "maybe the subsidies actually do benefit most people, after all, if you let them play out"). But in each case the rebuttal is "but the polls already say that they're against subsidies." We have hard evidence in the stimulus that those considerations don't matter: people are against them.

(A) can be rebutted the same way. Even if people aren't well-informed about the issues, they've indicated that they're against the issue (and in real life, who hasn't met someone who's poorly-informed but heavily convicted about an issue?).

Choice (D) is there as a trap for those who tend to hijack the conclusion. Remember: the conclusion only talks about the probability (politicians would be more likely to win) and not what politicians ought to do. Choice (D) deals with what politicians should or shouldn't do, but that doesn't impact the specific conclusion at all, so (D) is incorrect.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
P
Joined: 07 Dec 2017
Posts: 289
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2018, 00:53
Hi experts please help me to fill the gap in my understanding

IM0 A is correct answers

As OA B states that ppl who support subsidy are not more likely to vote than who oppose

let's negate this: let say supporting grp is 60% more likely to vote than opposing grp and their proportion in population is only 10% ( as mentioned in the stem that ' polling indicates most ppl oppose subsidies') and opposing is 40% likely to vote

now, even though 90% supporting grp would casted their vote still it supports the conclusion

Thanks in advance
Director
Director
User avatar
P
Joined: 20 Sep 2016
Posts: 545
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 05:38
AshutoshB wrote:
Hi experts please help me to fill the gap in my understanding

IM0 A is correct answers

As OA B states that ppl who support subsidy are not more likely to vote than who oppose

let's negate this: let say supporting grp is 60% more likely to vote than opposing grp and their proportion in population is only 10% ( as mentioned in the stem that ' polling indicates most ppl oppose subsidies') and opposing is 40% likely to vote

now, even though 90% supporting grp would casted their vote still it supports the conclusion

Thanks in advance


you are trying too hard to make your point... It seems as if you dont want the answer to be B.
nevertheless, ill try my best to explain you..

When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and employees of those industries benefit but the majority of consumers pay more for those products and find that there are fewer of their tax dollars available for policies they prefer. Unsurprisingly, polling indicates that most people see industry-specific subsidies as unfavorable. Consequently, political candidates would increase their likelihood of being elected if they oppose such subsidies.

understand :
fact : subsidy - benefit business owners and emps - hurt consumers ...why ?? because what consumers prefer dont get enough share of the revenue.
fact - polling results - industry specific subsidies unfavourable -
Conclusion - politician (WHO WANTS TO INCREASE HIS LIKELIHOOD OF BEING ELECTED - HE IS NOT YET ELECTED ...HE WANTS TO GET ELECTED ) should appose industry sppecific subsidy.

now why does author suggest the politician that?? certainly he must conclsude this by reckoning something from the polling stats ..
author assumes - 1) the polling data is representative of the entire population ..
2) note that this is just a poll and not actual election ..so there is still chance that the people who find X unfavourable they might still vote FOR SOMEONE ELSE... so author assumes that the ppl will not cahnge their poll view

The argument above assumes which of the following?


A. Most voters are well-informed about their elected representatives’ positions on subsidies.-
if you would have presneted your reasoning for A , it would have been easier to explain with respect to your reasoning...
read carefully , most voter are well informed about their ELECTED (already elected ... this is totally different case... they are already ELECTED...past tense..elections are done...)
lets negate A - ,most voter are not well informed about their elected represnetatives positions on subsidies !! so this might imply that ppl either knew about the positions of elected before elections or AFTER elections... so this does not break conclusion
even if we consider ppl knew before the elections , there is still possibilty that the past trend may not hold ...ppl in our case may or may not know the positions...

B. Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies
- I'll use your analogy
if you take numbers in this case there willbe many cases
for eg : population of supporters is less
population of supporters is more
population of supporters is equal
what about the population who have no stand !!!
and many more..

the conclusion wants us to increase the LIKELYHOOD ... author never says HE WILL GET ELECTED.... so B is true
Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 22 Sep 2014
Posts: 106
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Nov 2018, 19:11
B. Those who support subsidies are not significantly more likely to vote than are those who oppose subsidies.

if you wanna get Most Votes ...make sure you understand the real number of votes

if most of people (P1)who support subsidies vote ...and only a small percentage of people (P2)who are against subsidies vote.. It's possible that P1 is larger P2

to make the argument valid ,we need to eliminate the possibility
GMAT Club Bot
Re: When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and &nbs [#permalink] 01 Nov 2018, 19:11
Display posts from previous: Sort by

When governments subsidize certain industries, the business owners and

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.