It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 19:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

While the most abundant and dominant species within a particular ecosy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 34 [3], given: 17

While the most abundant and dominant species within a particular ecosy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2012, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Question 1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

59% (02:03) correct 41% (02:09) wrong based on 178

HideShow timer Statistics

Question 2
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

70% (00:42) correct 30% (00:18) wrong based on 165

Question 3
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

66% (01:05) correct 34% (00:48) wrong based on 160

Question 4
A
B
C
D
E

Question Stats:

60% (00:43) correct 40% (00:56) wrong based on 137

While the most abundant and dominant species within a particular ecosystem is often crucial in perpetuating the ecosystem, a “keystone” species, here defined as one whose effects are much larger than would be predicted from its abundance, can also play a vital role. But because complex species interactions may be involved, identifying a keystone species by removing the species and observing changes in the ecosystem is problematic. It might seem that certain traits would clearly define a species as a keystone species; for example, Pisaster ochraceus is often a keystone predator because it consumes and suppresses mussel populations, which in the absence of this starfish can be a dominant species. But such predation on a dominant or potentially dominant species occurs in systems that do as well as in systems that do not have species that play keystone roles. Moreover, whereas P. ochraceus occupies an unambiguous keystone role on wave-exposed rocky headlands, in more wave-sheltered habitats the impact of P. ochraceus predation is weak or nonexistent, and at certain sites sand burial is responsible for eliminating mussels. Keystone status appears to depend on context, whether of particular geography or of such factors as community diversity (for example, a reduction in species diversity may thrust more of the remaining species into keystone roles) and length of species interaction (since newly arrived species in particular may dramatically affect ecosystems).

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

1. The passage mentions which of the following as a factor that affects the role of P. ochraceus as a keystone species within different habitats?

(A) The degree to which the habitat is sheltered from waves

(B) The degree to which other animals within a habitat prey on mussels

(C) The fact that mussel populations are often not dominant within some habitats occupied by P. ochraceus

(D) The size of the P. ochraceus population within the habitat

(E) The fact that there is great species diversity within some habitats occupied by P. ochraceus

[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

2. Which of the following hypothetical experiments most clearly exemplifies the method of identifying species, roles that the author considers problematic?

(A) A population of seals in an Arctic habitat is counted in order to determine whether it is the dominant species in that ecosystem,

(B) A species of fish that is a keystone species in one marine ecosystem is introduced into another marine ecosystem to see whether the species will come to occupy a keystone role.

(C) In order to determine whether a species of monkey is a keystone species within a particular ecosystem, the monkeys are removed from that ecosystem and the ecosystem is then studied.

(D) Different mountain ecosystems are compared to determine how geography affects a particular species, ability to dominate its ecosystem.

(E) In a grassland experiencing a changing climate, patterns of species extinction are traced in order to evaluate the effect of climate changes on keystone species in that grassland.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

3. Which of the following, if true, would most clearly support the argument about keystone status advanced in the last sentence of the passage?

(A) A species of bat is primarily responsible for keeping insect populations within an ecosystem low, and the size of the insect population in turn affects bird species within that ecosystem.

(B) A species of iguana occupies a keystone role on certain tropical islands, but does not play that role on adjacent tropical islands that are inhabited by a greater number of animal species.

(C) Close observation of a savannah ecosystem reveals that more species occupy keystone roles within that ecosystem than biologists had previously believed.

(D) As a keystone species of bee becomes more abundant it has a larger effect on the ecosystem it inhabits.

(E) A species of moth that occupies a keystone role in a prairie habitat develops coloration patterns that camouflage it from potential predators.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

4. The passage suggests which of the following about the identification of a species as a keystone species?

(A) Such an identification depends primarily on the species’ relationship to the dominant species.

(B) Such an identification can best be made by removing the species from a particular ecosystem and observing changes that occur in the ecosystem.

(C) Such an identification is likely to be less reliable as an ecosystem becomes less diverse.

(D) Such an identification seems to depend on various factors within the ecosystem.

(E) Such an identification can best be made by observing predation behavior.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #1 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #2 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #3 OA
[Reveal] Spoiler: Question #4 OA

Keep your eyes on the prize: 750

Kudos [?]: 34 [3], given: 17

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor

Kudos [?]: 833 [3], given: 5

Re: While the most abundant and dominant species within a particular ecosy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Nov 2012, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
First, I have to say that the OA for the first question is A, not E.

As for question 2, you must answer the question in relation to the information provided in the last sentence. When you see these questions that relate to specific parts of the passage, you must go to those parts and read them carefully. This question becomes difficult because the last sentence has a pretty crazy structure with a leading clause followed by some modifying text with two parenthetical statements. You have to focus on the key points: keystone status depends on the context - geography, diversity, and length of interaction.

2. Which of the following, if true, would most clearly support the argument about keystone status advanced in the last sentence of the passage?
A. A species of bat is primarily responsible for keeping insect populations within an ecosystem low, and the size of the insect population in turn affects bird species within that ecosystem. No discussion of context here.
B. A species of iguana occupies a keystone role on certain tropical islands, but does not play that role on adjacent tropical islands that are inhabited by a greater number of animal species. This shows how the geographical context (different tropical islands with different species diversities) impacts keystone status. This fits perfectly with the argument in the last sentence.
C. Close observation of a savannah ecosystem reveals that more species occupy keystone roles within that ecosystem than biologists had previously believed.While this discusses keystone roles, it doesn't talk about differences in context impacting keystone status.
D. As a keystone species of bee becomes more abundant it has a larger effect on the ecosystem it inhabits. No discussion of how context impacts keystone status.
E. A species of moth that occupies a keystone role in a prairie habitat develops coloration patterns that camouflage it from potential predators. Again, no discussion of context impacts on keystone status.

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Kudos [?]: 833 [3], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 32

Concentration: Accounting
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5
Re: While the most abundant and dominant species within a particular ecosy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2013, 02:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
1. The passage mentions which of the following as a factor that affects the role of P. ochraceus as a keystone species within different habitats?
A. The degree to which the habitat is sheltered from waves Correct. In more wave-sheltered habitats the impact of P. ochraceus is weak or nonexistent.
B. The degree to which other animals within a habitat prey on mussels
C. The fact that mussel populations are often not dominant within some habitats occupied by P. ochraceus
D. The size of the P. ochraceus population within the habitat
E. The fact that there is great species diversity within some habitats occupied by P. ochraceus

2. Which of the following hypothetical experiments most clearly exemplifies the method of identifying species, roles that the author considers problematic?
A. A population of seals in an Arctic habitat is counted in order to determine whether it is the dominant species in that ecosystem,
B. A species of fish that is a keystone species in one marine ecosystem is introduced into another marine ecosystem to see whether the species will come to occupy a keystone role.
C. In order to determine whether a species of monkey is a keystone species within a particular ecosystem, the monkeys are removed from that ecosystem and the ecosystem is then studied. Correct. A problematic way to identify a keystone is to move the species and oberve changes in the ecosystem.
D. Different mountain ecosystems are compared to determine how geography affects a particular species, ability to dominate its ecosystem.
E. In a grassland experiencing a changing climate, patterns of species extinction are traced in order to evaluate the effect of climate changes on keystone species in that grassland.

3. Which of the following, if true, would most clearly support the argument about keystone status advanced in the last sentence of the passage?
A. A species of bat is primarily responsible for keeping insect populations within an ecosystem low, and the size of the insect population in turn affects bird species within that ecosystem.No reflection of a particular geography, community diversity or length of species interaction.
B. A species of iguana occupies a keystone role on certain tropical islands, but does not play that role on adjacent tropical islands that are inhabited by a greater number of animal species. Correct. It refers to the community diversity.
C. Close observation of a savannah ecosystem reveals that more species occupy keystone roles within that ecosystem than biologists had previously believed.
D. As a keystone species of bee becomes more abundant it has a larger effect on the ecosystem it inhabits.Not related
E. A species of moth that occupies a keystone role in a prairie habitat develops coloration patterns that camouflage it from potential predators.Not related

4. The passage suggests which of the following about the identification of a species as a keystone species?
A. Such an identification depends primarily on the species’ relationship to the dominant species.
B. Such an identification can best be made by removing the species from a particular ecosystem and observing changes that occur in the ecosystem. Author mentioned this method is problematic.
C. Such an identification is likely to be less reliable as an ecosystem becomes less diverse.
D. Such an identification seems to depend on various factors within the ecosystem.Correct. Keystone status appears to depend on context.
E. Such an identification can best be made by observing predation behavior. Predation behavior also occurs in systems that do not have keystones.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 32

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 122

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2014, 06:32
NVM just saw that post above mentioned same problem I mentioned. Disregard my original post!

Can the OA be modified to reflect the correct answer? I didn't see Kyle's post until after I had posted about this issue. Don't want others to overlook our posts and experience the same confusion.

I only googled and stumbled upon the right answer because I couldn't understand why I was wrong (chose A). But of course, afterwards I found out Kyle already stated that in the post above mine. Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 122

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 833 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2014, 13:43
I wish I had the ability to fix the OA, but it has to be the original poster or perhaps some staff member.

I often find myself doing google searches as well when I doubt the OA...nice move...

KW

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 606

Concentration: Technology, Other
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2014, 00:43
This one was tough for me. Time taken 10 mins. :(

A. The degree to which the habitat is sheltered from waves
>>P. ochraceus occupies an unambiguous keystone role on wave-exposed rocky headlands, in more wave-sheltered habitats the impact of P. ochraceus predation is weak or nonexistent, and at certain sites sand burial is responsible for eliminating mussels.

B. The degree to which other animals within a habitat prey on mussels
>>certain sites sand burial is responsible for eliminating mussels.
C. The fact that mussel populations are often not dominant within some habitats occupied by P. ochraceus
D. The size of the P. ochraceus population within the habitat
E. The fact that there is great species diversity within some habitats occupied by P. ochraceus

2. Which of the following, if true, would most clearly support the argument about keystone status advanced in the last sentence of the passage?
Keystone status appears to depend on context, whether of particular
geography or of such factors as
community diversity (for example, a reduction in species diversity may thrust more of the remaining species into keystone roles) and
length of species interaction (since newly arrived species in particular may dramatically affect ecosystems).
A. A species of bat is primarily responsible for keeping insect populations within an ecosystem low, and the size of the insect population in turn affects bird species within that ecosystem.
>>community diversity. What troubles me in this is "affects bird species within that ecosystem." Does this mean, BS r thriving .

B. A species of iguana occupies a keystone role on certain tropical islands, but does not play that role on adjacent tropical islands that are inhabited by a greater number of animal species.
>>I don't see mentioned anything like that in para. As per OG this is OA. Can anyone elucidate this.. I believe PO habitat is an example for the GC. I am correct?
C. Close observation of a savannah ecosystem reveals that more species occupy keystone roles within that ecosystem than biologists had previously believed.
D. As a keystone species of bee becomes more abundant it has a larger effect on the ecosystem it inhabits.
E. A species of moth that occupies a keystone role in a prairie habitat develops coloration patterns that camouflage it from potential predators.

3. The passage suggests which of the following about the identification of a species as a keystone species?
A. Such an identification depends primarily on the species’ relationship to the dominant species.
B. Such an identification can best be made by removing the species from a particular ecosystem and observing changes that occur in the ecosystem.
C. Such an identification is likely to be less reliable as an ecosystem becomes less diverse.
D. Such an identification seems to depend on various factors within the ecosystem.
>>Correct. Keystone status appears to depend on context .....

E. Such an identification can best be made by observing predation behavior.

--------------------------------------------------------
Regards :)

Kudos [?]: 623 [0], given: 606

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Concentration: Finance, General Management
GPA: 3.1
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2014, 02:36
xserenity114 wrote:
NVM just saw that post above mentioned same problem I mentioned. Disregard my original post!

Can the OA be modified to reflect the correct answer? I didn't see Kyle's post until after I had posted about this issue. Don't want others to overlook our posts and experience the same confusion.

I only googled and stumbled upon the right answer because I couldn't understand why I was wrong (chose A). But of course, afterwards I found out Kyle already stated that in the post above mine. Thanks.

What exactly do you want me to modify in OAs?

KUDOS if you find it good!!

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 623

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2014, 23:22
akshaygaur wrote:
xserenity114 wrote:

What exactly do you want me to modify in OAs?

Hii Akshay,
the official answer of first question is A..Please change that..

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 623

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2015, 08:54
can someone pls explain Why option c is wrong? as the passage mentioned that "mussel population, which in the absence of starfish can be a dominant species"...Thanks :)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Expert Post

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2015, 05:55
katzzzz wrote:
can someone pls explain Why option c is wrong? as the passage mentioned that "mussel population, which in the absence of starfish can be a dominant species"...Thanks :)

The question is asking what factors affect the keystone status of the starfish. The fact that mussels are not dominant in some areas is an EFFECT of the starfish in the keystone role, not something that AFFECTS the keystone status. The sheltering from waves does affect the keystone status - making choice A correct.

KW

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 25

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2015, 10:51
Hi everyone,¨

I came accross this thread because, when working on this passage in the 2016 OG, I answered A to Q1 and was surprised to see B as the OA in the guide. Can anybody confirm if there is a mistake in the 2016 OG? I assume from the date of this post that this passage was already in previous OG versions, where the OA was A... am I wrong?

Many thanks!!

P.

Please, consider giving kudos if you find my answer helpful in any way :)

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today, it's already tomorrow in Australia

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 25

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 201

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2017, 22:46
GMATNinja
I am finding it difficult to stay engaged in passage, especially ones like this.
Can you help implementation of taking notes by identifying passage structure based on
your post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... l#p1857560
Can you explain last sentence of passage and Q3 in light in your understanding?
In playing more safely to not deviate from author's view I am trying to do exactly what is not recommended: facts - facts - facts; and hence missing crucial flow.
WR,
Arpit

Press kudos if you liked this post

Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1614 [5], given: 400

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
While the most abundant and dominant species within a particular ecosy [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adkikani wrote:
GMATNinja
I am finding it difficult to stay engaged in passage, especially ones like this.

Can you help implementation of taking notes by identifying passage structure based on your post: https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... l#p1857560

Can you explain last sentence of passage and Q3 in light in your understanding?

In playing more safely to not deviate from author's view I am trying to do exactly what is not recommended: facts - facts - facts; and hence missing crucial flow.
WR,
Arpit

In this passage, it is tricky to apply the techniques recommended in the Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners because we only have one paragraph!

In this case, you might break down the passage into logical chunks and ask yourself WHY the author has written each chunk:

Quote:
While the most abundant and dominant species within a particular ecosystem is often crucial in perpetuating the ecosystem, a “keystone” species, here defined as one whose effects are much larger than would be predicted from its abundance, can also play a vital role. But because complex species interactions may be involved, identifying a keystone species by removing the species and observing changes in the ecosystem is problematic.

Okay, so it looks like the author is trying to introduce/define the concept of a "keystone" species and to tell us that identifying/studying a keystone species using a seemingly simple approach is actually problematic. So you might jot down: "introduce/define "keystone" species; identifying/studying K.S. by removing/observing is problematic".

Great, that gives us an idea of WHY the author wrote that first chunk. Even though we might not completely understand every detail, let's move on to the next chunk:

Quote:
It might seem that certain traits would clearly define a species as a keystone species; for example, Pisaster ochraceus is often a keystone predator because it consumes and suppresses mussel populations, which in the absence of this starfish can be a dominant species. But such predation on a dominant or potentially dominant species occurs in systems that do as well as in systems that do not have species that play keystone roles.

The purpose of this chunk is described in the first sentence. The author wants us to realize that even though it might seem that certain traits would clearly define a species as a keystone species, those traits do not necessarily indicate that we have a keystone species. So you might jot down: "cannot determine K.S. solely by identifying certain traits".

Quote:
Moreover, whereas P. ochraceus occupies an unambiguous keystone role on wave-exposed rocky headlands, in more wave-sheltered habitats the impact of P. ochraceus predation is weak or nonexistent, and at certain sites sand burial is responsible for eliminating mussels. Keystone status appears to depend on context, whether of particular geography or of such factors as community diversity (for example, a reduction in species diversity may thrust more of the remaining species into keystone roles) and length of species interaction (since newly arrived species in particular may dramatically affect ecosystems).

The same species can be keystone in some habitats and not keystone in other habitats. Keystone status depends not solely on certain traits but rather on context (i.e. geography and community diversity). The purpose of this chunk is to explain that "keystone status depends on habitat/geography, community diversity, and other factors".

Okay, so we have

Chunk 1: "introduce/define "keystone" species; identifying/studying K.S. by removing/observing is problematic"
Chunk 2: "cannot determine K.S. solely by identifying certain traits"
Chunk 3: "keystone status depends on habitat/geography, community diversity, and other factors"

Now, what is the purpose of the passage as a whole? It seems like the author wants to introduce the concept of a keystone species and then explain and provide evidence to support that determining keystone status is not a simple task. So, for the purpose of the passage, you might write: "introduce/define "keystone" species; show that determining keystone status is complex".

Hopefully that helps you get your head around this complicated passage without getting bogged down in the details!

See if question #3 makes more sense in light of this analysis. As a starting point, remind yourself of the purpose of that chunk (chunk #3).

I hope that helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor at www.gmatninja.com | GMAT blog |food blog | Friendly warning: I'm really bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order

YouTube verbal webinars:
"Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT | Parallelism and meaning | Simplifying GMAT verb tenses

Kudos [?]: 1614 [5], given: 400

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2017, 17:46
Hi GMATNinja

Thanks for your detailed explanations.
For the second chunk, how did you decide to start with no keyword
at start. (I am assuming you started third chunk, seeing moreover)

I got to OA thanks to reading explanations. But I want to confirm correct reasons.
I chose B based on geographical factors and not community diversity. Hope I am correct.

WR,
Arpit

Press kudos if you liked this post

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2017, 07:46
KyleWiddison wrote:
First, I have to say that the OA for the first question is A, not E.

As for question 2, you must answer the question in relation to the information provided in the last sentence. When you see these questions that relate to specific parts of the passage, you must go to those parts and read them carefully. This question becomes difficult because the last sentence has a pretty crazy structure with a leading clause followed by some modifying text with two parenthetical statements. You have to focus on the key points: keystone status depends on the context - geography, diversity, and length of interaction.

A. A species of bat is primarily responsible for keeping insect populations within an ecosystem low, and the size of the insect population in turn affects bird species within that ecosystem. No discussion of context here.
B. A species of iguana occupies a keystone role on certain tropical islands, but does not play that role on adjacent tropical islands that are inhabited by a greater number of animal species. This shows how the geographical context (different tropical islands with different species diversities) impacts keystone status. This fits perfectly with the argument in the last sentence.
C. Close observation of a savannah ecosystem reveals that more species occupy keystone roles within that ecosystem than biologists had previously believed.While this discusses keystone roles, it doesn't talk about differences in context impacting keystone status.
D. As a keystone species of bee becomes more abundant it has a larger effect on the ecosystem it inhabits. No discussion of how context impacts keystone status.
E. A species of moth that occupies a keystone role in a prairie habitat develops coloration patterns that camouflage it from potential predators. Again, no discussion of context impacts on keystone status.

IMO E in Q1 is wrong because of "within some habitats occupied by P . Orchraceus". Occupy here means take control

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 14

VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1189 [0], given: 417

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 18:01
omidsa wrote:
While the most abundant and dominant species within a particular ecosystem is often crucial in perpetuating the ecosystem, a “keystone” species, here defined as one whose effects are much larger than would be predicted from its abundance, can also play a vital role. But because complex species interactions may be involved, identifying a keystone species by removing the species and observing changes in the ecosystem is problematic. It might seem that certain traits would clearly define a species as a keystone species; for example, Pisaster ochraceus is often a keystone predator because it consumes and suppresses mussel populations, which in the absence of this starfish can be a dominant species. But such predation on a dominant or potentially dominant species occurs in systems that do as well as in systems that do not have species that play keystone roles. Moreover, whereas P. ochraceus occupies an unambiguous keystone role on wave-exposed rocky headlands, in more wave-sheltered habitats the impact of P. ochraceus predation is weak or nonexistent, and at certain sites sand burial is responsible for eliminating mussels. Keystone status appears to depend on context, whether of particular geography or of such factors as community diversity (for example, a reduction in species diversity may thrust more of the remaining species into keystone roles) and length of species interaction (since newly arrived species in particular may dramatically affect ecosystems).

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

(A) The degree to which the habitat is sheltered from waves

(B) The degree to which other animals within a habitat prey on mussels

(C) The fact that mussel populations are often not dominant within some habitats occupied by P. ochraceus

(D) The size of the P. ochraceus population within the habitat

(E) The fact that there is great species diversity within some habitats occupied by P. ochraceus

Passage: Keystone Species

Question: Detail Factor

The Simple Story

First, the passage defines a particular term: a keystone species is one whose effects are much larger than would be predicted from its abundance. In other words, this type of species has a larger impact on the ecosystem than would normally be expected.

How do you know for sure that a species is a keystone species? According to the passage, you can’t just remove that keystone species from the environment to see what happens. “It might seem” that a certain characteristic would define a keystone species, but the language it might seem signals that the author is going to disagree. Sure enough, the author provides a certain example about a possible keystone predator and then shows how that predator may or may not be a keystone species.

The author finally concedes that this question depends on two things: context (with an example given) and length of species interaction (with further elaboration given).

Sample Passage Map

This passage contains just one paragraph, so think about how to delineate different parts of it on your Map. Here is one way to map this passage. (Note: abbreviate as desired!)

KS: >> effect than expctd

Mid: How to ID KS? Hard.

2 things: context + interaction length

The “Mid” designation means “the whole middle of the passage is about this.” KS is an abbreviation for keystone species and ID is an abbreviation for identify.

Step 1: Identify the Question

The language mentions which of the following in the question stem indicates that this is a Detail question. Your job is to find this detail in the passage: what factor affects the role of the P thing as a KS in different habitats?

Step 2: Find the Support

Scan for the P thing; it’s introduced in line 12.

“It might seem that certain traits would clearly define a species as a keystone species; for example, Pisaster ochraceus is often a keystone predator because it consumes and suppresses mussel populations, which in the absence of this starfish can be a dominant species. But such predation on a dominant or potentially dominant species occurs in systems that do as well as in systems that do not have species that play keystone roles. Moreover, whereas P. ochraceus occupies an unambiguous keystone role on wave‐exposed rocky headlands, in more wave‐sheltered habitats the impact of P. ochraceus predation is weak or nonexistent, and at certain sites sand burial is responsible for eliminating mussels.”

Step 3: Predict an Answer

The first two sentences talk about P as a KS, but the example doesn’t discuss different habitats until the third sentence, beginning moreover. In one location, P has an unambiguous keystone role, but in another area, P’s predation is weak or nonexistent, so it can’t be playing a keystone role there.

What aspect of the habitats influence this difference? In the first location, there are a lot of waves. In the second, the area is sheltered from the waves.

Step 4: Eliminate and Find a Match

(A) CORRECT. This choice reflects the circumstances described in the passage. When the area is exposed to the waves, P can be a keystone species. When the area is sheltered from the waves, P is much less central to the system.

(B) The example does not address what other animals are preying on the mussels or how that would affect P’s status as a KS.

(C) The passage does state that P consumes and suppresses mussel populations, which could be dominant in the absence of this starfish, suggesting that mussels are not dominant when P is present. However, the next sentence indicates that such predation on a potentially dominant species in not a guarantee of status as a KS in a given habitat.

(D) This choice is a trap. While it makes logical sense that a large population would have a significant impact on an ecosystem, the first sentence specifically defines a KS as one whose effects are much larger than would be predicted from its abundance. In other words, the species is having a much larger impact than you would expect based on its population size—but the effects don’t necessarily vary based on population size itself.

(E) The passage mentions species diversity (line 27) only as a general example of how a reduction in diversity could impact keystone roles in an ecosystem. It does not address species diversity specifically with respect to the P examples.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1189 [0], given: 417

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
D

Kudos [?]: 1189 [1], given: 417

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 03 Oct 2017, 18:08
This post received
KUDOS
omidsa wrote:

(A) A species of bat is primarily responsible for keeping insect populations within an ecosystem low, and the size of the insect population in turn affects bird species within that ecosystem.

(B) A species of iguana occupies a keystone role on certain tropical islands, but does NOT play that role on adjacent tropical islands that are inhabited by a greater number of animal species.

(C) Close observation of a savannah ecosystem reveals that more species occupy keystone roles within that ecosystem than biologists had previously believed.

(D) As a keystone species of bee becomes more abundant it has a larger effect on the ecosystem it inhabits.

(E) A species of moth that occupies a keystone role in a prairie habitat develops coloration patterns that camouflage it from potential predators.

Passage: Keystone Species

Question: Strengthen

The Simple Story

First, the passage defines a particular term: a keystone species is one whose effects are much larger than would be predicted from its abundance. In other words, this type of species has a larger impact on the ecosystem than would normally be expected.

How do you know for sure that a species is a keystone species? According to the passage, you can’t just remove that keystone species from the environment to see what happens. “It might seem” that a certain characteristic would define a keystone species, but the language it might seem signals that the author is going to disagree. Sure enough, the author provides a certain example about a possible keystone predator and then shows how that predator may or may not be a keystone species.

The author finally concedes that this question depends on two things: context (with an example given) and length of species interaction (with further elaboration given).

Sample Passage Map

This passage contains just one paragraph, so think about how to delineate different parts of it on your Map. Here is one way to map this passage. (Note: abbreviate as desired!)

KS: >> effect than expctd

Mid: How to ID KS? Hard.

2 things: context + interaction length

The “Mid” designation means “the whole middle of the passage is about this.” KS is an abbreviation for keystone species and ID is an abbreviation for identify.

Step 1: Identify the Question

The words if true and most clearly support indicate that this is a Strengthen question. You can answer this one in the same way that you answer Strengthen the Argument Critical Reasoning questions.

Step 2: Find the Support

The question provides a specific line reference:

Keystone status appears to depend on context, whether of particular geography or of such factors as community diversity (for example, a reduction in species diversity may thrust more of the remaining species into keystone roles) and length of species interaction (since newly arrived species in particular may dramatically affect ecosystems).

Step 3: Predict an Answer

The author claims that keystone status depends on two things: context and length of species interaction. What new information would support this claim?

Step 4: Eliminate and Find a Match

(A) These examples do not specifically address geography, community diversity, or the length of interaction among different species.

(B) CORRECT. This example discusses two matters of context mentioned in the passage: geography (different islands) and community diversity (some islands have a greater number of species).

(C) This choice states only that some scientists were wrong about some previous conclusions; it does not address how one can try to determine whether a species has earned keystone status.

(D) This example does not specifically address geography, community diversity, or the length of interaction among different species.

(E) This example does not specifically address geography, community diversity, or the length of interaction among different species.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Kudos [?]: 1189 [1], given: 417

While the most abundant and dominant species within a particular ecosy   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2017, 18:08

While the most abundant and dominant species within a particular ecosy

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap