GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2019, 19:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Why should you NOT apply to Britain B-schools

new topic post reply Update application status  
Sloan MIT School Moderator
P
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Why should you NOT apply to Britain B-schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 12:39
I'm Businessconquerer and this is my take (opinion) on why I feel that applying to B-schools such as LBS, MBS in Britain/ England would not be in interest of an international student.
So before I talk about anything else, let me give you a lil fact
Just some time ago, after the Brexit issues were proposed, the currency took a DIP. It fell in value.

My entire discussion will be based on the same
B-school investment requires a huge amount. Duhhh
So let's see
You invested 140,000 british pounds in 2019-2022
Now Brexit might cause another dip as discussion itself broke the currency, so imagine the crisis after the deal is done

In your currency, the amount you invested remained the same and now you find a job there, which again is highly unlikely as employers might be considering their strategy and might even lay some people off due to a sudden crisis, this is just a guess but well we all are grown ups here, THE JOB MIGHT NOT GET YOU A PROPER ROI
As the amount you invested in your country's currency might not come back into the same you invested
For example
In 2019, you invested INR 56,00,000 (5.6 million) into admission to LBS (one year fees) or any other given that 1 BP = 80 INR
Now the BP took a dip
Let's assume that the conversion tips to 1 BP = 60 INR
And given the starting salary, let's say you get 100,000 BP
Living expenses and other costs will bring your savings to 40,000 BP
Convert that into INR
2400000 (2.4 million)
While you had an issue of 5.6 million in one year excluding living expenses, now you've just covered only half of it
Total investment would have been say 11 million
and to get an ROI, you would have to wait for 6 years (let's say interest and increment are cancelling each other out, I know they don't)
Or to be on the safe side, 5 years.
The British law let's you work for 3 years after the Graduation before applying for work permit
Even if the 40% is saved, you'll still be in debt for a long time

STEM MBAs in USA are still a better option according to me than getting involved in the political Drama of the British (Harsh words but tell me if anything I just said was untrue, all extrapolations).
I have got a post copied from a news article in here, give it a read if you want https://gmatclub.com/forum/stem-mbas-311578.html

However, after the currency takes a dip, the future internationals can get an MBA for a lower cost
Unless of course they adjust the fees to match the dip

bb Narenn
carcass
What do you guys think, what's your take?
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Why should you NOT apply to Britain B-schools  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2019, 22:03
Good idea to throw out a theory and see if someone debunks it or suggests a weakness.

My cousin just applied and got into LBS. He has also been applying to INSEAS but got stuck with some of the parts of the application and I think now that he is into LBS, his motivation to grind through is somewhat reduced. Anyway, he was looking for an international consulting/real estate development track. He is a US person so a pretty unusual career track but someone looking at international options in Europe and Asia and probably not able to get into MIT, HBS, Stanford (well known brand names), I think this maybe the best option.

For someone from Asia looking to settle in the US, the US MBA is likely the best/only option and for someone from the US who is unlike my cousin not looking to work in EU/Asia, the US MBA is still the best option.

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 06:56
bb wrote:
Good idea to throw out a theory and see if someone debunks it or suggests a weakness.

My cousin just applied and got into LBS. He has also been applying to INSEAS but got stuck with some of the parts of the application and I think now that he is into LBS, his motivation to grind through is somewhat reduced. Anyway, he was looking for an international consulting/real estate development track. He is a US person so a pretty unusual career track but someone looking at international options in Europe and Asia and probably not able to get into MIT, HBS, Stanford (well known brand names), I think this maybe the best option.

For someone from Asia looking to settle in the US, the US MBA is likely the best/only option and for someone from the US who is unlike my cousin not looking to work in EU/Asia, the US MBA is still the best option.

Give him my contact, seems like his and my goals are kind of same, we can stay connected if one of us finds a job he can help the other one out :)
Sloan MIT School Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2019, 06:58
bb wrote:

I also wanted to talk to you about the Schools, He could be better off with Anderson and UNC Kf
When it comes to Real Estate, the rankings are quite different, you'll be shocked to learn that Harvard would lose lol
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Why should you NOT apply to Britain B-schools   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2019, 06:58

Why should you NOT apply to Britain B-schools

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi