Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Assumptionx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619033 [188]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [19]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [8]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [5]
Given Kudos: 67
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V28
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Ythex has developed a small diesel engine that produces 30 percent les [#permalink]
Kudos
I think it has to be D.
If we negate D the option will be "the ban will be difficult to enforce".
If it is difficult to enforce then the sales of Onez may not be affected
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [5]
Given Kudos: 41
Send PM
Re: Ythex has developed a small diesel engine that produces 30 percent les [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Conclusion: if the ban is passed, the Ythex engine ought to sell well in Marania after that time.
E is correct IMHO,
Ythex engine is expensive but there is nothing pushing the businesses to switch to this engine. The ban, if enforced, will ultimately mean they have to switch from their current engines. If there is another company that makes inexpensive, more popular and cleaner engines, surely the businesses will switch to that engine.
D is close, but there is no reason to believe that difficulty in enforcing a ban doesn't mean that the ban WILL NOT be enforced at some point.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [4]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Ythex has developed a small diesel engine that produces 30 percent less particulate pollution than the engine made by its main rival, Onez, now widely used in Marania; Ythex's engine is well-suited for use in the thriving warehousing businesses in Marania, although it costs more than the Onez engine. The Maranian government plans to ban within the next two years the use of diesel engines with more than 80 percent of current diesel engine particulate emissions in Marania, and Onez will probably not be able to retool its engine to reduce emissions to reach this target. So if the ban is passed, the Ythex engine ought to sell well in Marania after that time.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

A. Marania's warehousing and transshipment business buys more diesel engines of any size than other types of engines.
B. Ythex is likely to be able to reduce the cost of its small diesel engine within the next two years.
C. The Maranian government is generally favorable to anti-pollution regulations.
D. The government's ban on high levels of pollution caused by diesel engines, if passed, will not be difficult to enforce.
E. The other manufacturers of small diesel engines in Marania, if there are any, have not produced an engine as popular and clean-running as Ythex's new engine.

CR75231.01
Verbal Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

OA:E
Option D when negated, "the ban will be difficult to enforce". But this does not mean the ban will never be enforced. It's difficult to enforce but not immposibke. Hence E.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I was able to narrow down to D and E but ended up choosing the wrong answer D.

Answer D weakens the conclusion that "So if the ban is passed, the Ythex engine ought to sell well in Marania after that time". However, the fact that the law is difficult to be enforced does not mean that it will never be enforced.

Otherwise, if we negate the answer E "Other manufacturers can produce engine as popular and clean-running as Ythex's", it clearly breaks the conclusion.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Why is A wrong?
Negate A:Marania's warehousing and transshipment business buys a few diesel engines of any size than other types of engines.
This shatters the conclusion that the sale of Ythrex should rise right?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 2.58
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
A. Marania's warehousing and transshipment business buys more diesel engines of any size than other types of engines. -- Irrelevant. Eliminated.

B. Ythex is likely to be able to reduce the cost of its small diesel engine within the next two years. -- Cost is not the concern here. Eliminated. The "selling well" is based on the reasoning that competition will be eliminated due to the ban. Choice B does not address that.

C. The Maranian government is generally favorable to anti-pollution regulations. -- Irrelevant. Eliminated.

D. The government's ban on high levels of pollution caused by diesel engines, if passed, will not be difficult to enforce. --- Close. But this does not destroy the argument completely. Negating this, we will get "if passed, will be difficult to enforce" -- Difficult but not impossible. May not mean that Onez may still be able to sell its diesel engines.

E. The other manufacturers of small diesel engines in Marania, if there are any, have not produced an engine as popular and clean-running as Ythex's new engine. -- Correct choice. Negating this completely breaks the conclusion in so far as new competition will come up with equal quality engine.

Experts -- I have a question -- is it a cause of worry that i'm not able to pre-think (i mean i was but the correct choice wasn't one of the pre-thought answers) but analysing the answer choices, i got to this one fairly quickly (took me 1:13 min). daagh DmitryFarber
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
ravigupta2912 You certainly shouldn't expect to be able to predict every answer, but this is one that you might want to see coming, at least in broad terms. When I read it, I noticed that they compared the engine only to its main competitor, so I definitely wondered if other companies might be able to retool their factories more quickly or otherwise produce a competitive product. I also wondered if something might cause the new Ythex engine to become subject to the ban, although the existing wording did not hint at that. These ideas came up because I was trying to drive a wedge between the existing premises (lower pollution than competitor; competitor can't catch up in time to avoid ban) with the conclusion (this particular engine will sell well). It's worth continuing to work on prediction, and then always reviewing to see how you might have predicted any answers you didn't think of. Also, if you ended up predicting one of the wrong answers, you also want to review to see why that answer isn't what you need. Keep at it, but in the end, you'll need to be flexible, and sometimes you can spot an answer just fine when you didn't think of it beforehand.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Ythex has developed a small diesel engine that produces 30 percent less particulate pollution than the engine made by its main rival, Onez, now widely used in Marania; Ythex's engine is well-suited for use in the thriving warehousing businesses in Marania, although it costs more than the Onez engine. The Maranian government plans to ban within the next two years the use of diesel engines with more than 80 percent of current diesel engine particulate emissions in Marania, and Onez will probably not be able to retool its engine to reduce emissions to reach this target. So if the ban is passed, the Ythex engine ought to sell well in Marania after that time.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument above depends?

A. Marania's warehousing and transshipment business buys more diesel engines of any size than other types of engines.
B. Ythex is likely to be able to reduce the cost of its small diesel engine within the next two years.
C. The Maranian government is generally favorable to anti-pollution regulations.
D. The government's ban on high levels of pollution caused by diesel engines, if passed, will not be difficult to enforce.
E. The other manufacturers of small diesel engines in Marania, if there are any, have not produced an engine as popular and clean-running as Ythex's new engine.

Verbal Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

I'm still torn between D) and E). They both seem not the best-perfect-fit option to me.
I understand that D) has a bit of a too narrow scope, focusing on the fact that enforcement of the law should not be difficult. That is not the authors main point.
But i do not quite fully understand why E) should necessarily be needed. - Why should competition necessarily mean, that Ythex' engine will not sell well?
Can Ythex' engine not still sell well, when there is one other competitor with a similiar engine?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
The correct answer is option (E).

Gist of the passage:
1. Ythex has developed a diesel engine
2. This engine has 30% less particulate pollution than the engine made by the main rival, Onez
3. Onez is currently widely used in Marania
4. Ythex's engine costs more than the Onex engine
5. Ythex's engine is well-suited for use in the thriving (i.e. doing well) warehousing businesses in Marania, despite the higher cost because
a) The Maranian government plans to ban diesel engines with >80% of the current particulate emission
b) Onez will most probably not be able to re-tool their engine to meet this target
6. Conclusion: if the ban is passed, Ythex engine should sell well in Marania after that time (after the ban)

Understanding the math in the passage:

Say, current Particulate emission standard of Marania = 100 ppm (can try with any value!)
New accepted emission = 80% of 100 ppm = 80 ppm
Say current particulate emission of Onez engine = 99 ppm (has to be <=100 else Onex would not have been allowed even in the present case).
Onez will not be able to improve upon this, so he will not be able to sell after the ban
expected particulate emission of Ythex engine = 70% of 99 ppm = 69 ppm <80 ppm. (whichever values we assume, this will hold true!)

This is the author's logic when he concludes that Ythex will be able to sell well after the ban. Ythex will meet new criteria, Onez will not.

Question: Find the assumption in the argument

Thought Process:
In what scenario would Ythex engine not sell well in Marania, even after the ban?

Given:
1. Ban will be enforced on engines with >80% of previous emission standard
2. Ythex will meet the new criteria, but Onez will not

Condition 1: What if the ban is not rigorously applied in Marania? i.e. ban on paper, but in reality, companies are still buying Onez engines despite the ban? Then, despite the ban, Ythex may not sell well, as companies still buy Onez.

Assumption 1: The ban is enforced in Marania at a significantly large level

Condition 2: What if there enters some other player in the market, whose engine also meets the criteria, and for some reason (say, better output) end up being more popular than Ythex? Then, Onez may not sell, but this other competitor's engine will sell well instead of Ythex.

Assumption 2: No other competitor for Ythex will enter the market with an engine that also meets the criteria but is significantly more popular than Ythex's engine.

Let us look at the answer choices.

Out of scope. This only implies that more diesel engines are bought. It does not impact the argument about Ythex selling well in the market after the ban.

The cost of the engine is irrelevant. The argument does not concern the cost aspect at all. For all we know, despite high cost, the product may sell well as it is the best quality product. Hence, this assumption when negated will not definitely break the conclusion.

Irrelevant. What the Maranian government favours or does not favour has no bearing on the argument. This cannot be the assumption.

I see most folks are confused about this option. Let me try to clarify why this option is not the correct answer!

If you have followed my analysis, you will see this closely resembles my assumption 1. But still, this is not the correct answer.

Negated: The government's ban will be difficult to enforce. Difficult to enforce does not mean impossible to enforce.

Despite the difficulty in enforcing the ban, the government may well be able to enforce the ban to a significant enough degree that most companies will have to buy Ythex. Hence, Ythex can still sell well despite the difficulty in enforcing the ban.

Or in other words, this assumption when negated will not definitely break the conclusion.

This is in line with our assumption 2. If some other manufacturer has brought in a diesel engine that meets the criteria and is as popular than Ythex's engine, then Ythex's engine will definitely not sell well. This definitely breaks the conclusion.

The key word is 'popular'. That tells us that this other engine will eat into the market that Ythex had hoped to capture. In other words, Ythex would not do well by the estimates they had made.

If you expected to capture 90% of the market after the ban, and captured only 45% (because of an equally popular competitor), would you be able to claim that you have sold well? This is the reasoning for why Ythex would not sell "well". Hence, the negated assumption definitely breaks the conclusion.

Cheers!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63669 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Ythex has developed a small diesel engine that produces 30 percent les [#permalink]
Kudos