Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Re: Impact of undergrad institution [#permalink]
mba07 wrote:
dghazer wrote:
I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about whether or not your undergrad univ. makes you an automatic ding at certain schools. I know schools like harvard and stanford look for pedigree but is it possible to get into programs like wharton, chicago, kellogg and yale (not that yale is there with wharton, but I would imagine they are a little more conscious of undergrad univl. then others, I could be wrong) coming from a so-so state school. I know that there are always exceptions, but what schools would you say are likely place more value on this?

Somebody mentioned that Stanford's class had representation from 70 US undergrad institutions. Now there can't be 70 Ivy league schools. I read about people from community colleges getting into Stan. Also, a lot of Indians from not so famous colleges do an MS Engg from a top-20 US school and then go on to one of the M7 programs a few years down the line.

for those not quite as famililar with US colleges, there are 8 ivy league schools:
harvard
princeton
yale
columbia
brown
dartmouth
Penn
Cornell

In reading B-School profiles I've often wondered what people mean by "top Ivy" when posting since the lowest rank of these 8 schools in US news this year was 16 (Brown). Harvard, Princeton and Yale are consistently at the top of the rankings, so maybe it means one of those, but Penn (t-6) and Columbia (t-8) were both in the top 10 this year as well. Are people using Ivy more generically than its technical definition or are people using "top ivy" to signify Harvard, Princeton or Yale?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
I'd say the Ivies tend to be tiered like this:

Top Tier: Harvard, Princeton, Yale
Mid-Tier: Columbia, Dartmouth, and Penn
Bottom Tier: Cornell and Brown
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
From going over resume books of a variety of schools, I definitely see a representation of many colleges, from the 'elite' ivies on down. Many, many small state schools. Admissions committees are very aware of how many people go to small state public schools for reasons besides ability (cost, need to be close to home etc.) Such constraints on a person, especially cost-wise, can be very, very different from when they are 18 vs when they are in their mid/late 20s and have had a few years to make some $$/gain some independence. I speak from personal experience on that regard.

As long as you kicked ass there(and afterwards) you definitely have a fighting shot at a top business school.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
I think ranking the ivies (other than top tier H/Y/P) is really tough. I generally think acceptance rate is a good proxy for quality. Looking at that you get: Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth, UPenn, Cornell... which sounds right to me. Though Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth, Penn i think can be reordered as one pleases. That said, any list that doesn't put Cornell last is lying to you.

Full disclosure: I attended one of the above, and I have immediate family members who have attended all but Dartmouth.

agold wrote:
I'd say the Ivies tend to be tiered like this:

Top Tier: Harvard, Princeton, Yale
Mid-Tier: Columbia, Dartmouth, and Penn
Bottom Tier: Cornell and Brown
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
In my opinion,

I think that the main way the undergraduate institution can impact is by the opportunities it affords directly out of school. At more prestigious schools, one will have more opportunities. Obviously, one can overcome this by networking their way into better opportunities after graduating, but it is harder.

The other issue I would think would be present is attending an undergraduate with a reputation may affect a school's perception of your undergrad. For example, if the school is known to be academically rigorous, an AdCom may look at ones GPA in that light. If the school isn't known at all, one might not get that leeway, even if the school was a tough grader.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Haven't checked US News or anything, but how do service academies compare to Ivys (especially in MBA admissions context)?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
the military academies are ranked with the liberal arts colleges in the US news ranking, but in general I'm not sure they're really compared to other schools in the sense that they generally draw from a very different pool of applicants from other highly selective schools. it looks like at least West Point and the Naval Academy finished in the top 25 and are considered Teir 1 schools by US news.

The rankings would probably be biased against them since they include such things as average professor salary, which would be effected by military pay structures.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
I don't think your undergraduate institution will make or break you. It's more about what you did with your four years.

I think that a high GPA from a no-name school won't be looked upon as favorably as a really high GPA from a school like MIT. But this doesn't mean that you can't have outstanding leadership experience and build a more compelling story at a no-name school than you would at MIT.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
US News rankings are biased heavily by average SAT scores and donations by alumni.

Public Schools are ranked lower because as a state institution they have larger goals than worrying about rankings (state mandates, improve surrounding community, bring education to the masses). Private schools do not have such constraints and can try to improve rankings by adjusting incoming SAT scores. I know of a private school that decided to improve their overall score by taking the highest of section score from any sitting and combining it instead of the highest overall. They've shot up into/near the top 25 over the past several years.

Also, since people who go to private school tend to be wealthier (in absence of scholarships), they can usually afford to donate more.

Thus, I don't think US News undergraduate rankings are really indicative of the best schools. Look at UC-Berkeley for example. It is ranked extremely high (top-10) in so many subject lists (i.e. Engineering, business) but isn't even top 20 overall.

Disclaimer: i am not affiliated with UC-Berkeley at all.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Just an FYI, but "Ivy League" is actually an athletic distinction, not so much what people really think. I know we look at Harvard/Princeton/Penn/etc. as "Ivy" but that actual name is about the athletic conference they belong to.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
An interesting note...I went to a very small and specialized state school. Currently there are student from my undergrad at Kellogg (of course), MIT, and UCLA (actually was in my class). So you dont necessarily have to go to Yale or Harvard for undergrad to have a shot at these schools. However, having a unique story will help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
 Q48  V41
GPA: 3.6 - Top public
WE 1: Investment Management
Send PM
My view on this is that this a natural selection process that starts early in career. The smartest people go to Top Schools (Ivy Leagues, Top Private, Top Public, Top Liberal arts, or the best school in their home country)....they tend to find better jobs.....this leads to better experience and make them stronger applicants. In other words, such people have a history of accomplishment and a top undergraduate is just one of them.

However, there are plenty of exceptions. I personally have seen two kind:
i) Those who weren't the best students but did better in the real world
ii) Those who didn't have the money to go to top schools
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 2: 710
Send PM
I doubt your undergraduate institution has a significant sway on your admission. If you look at it for AdCom POV, they would need to come up with some sort of scale to weigh every institution. Then you have the dillema with difference in major concentration. Would an engineering degree weigh more than a liberal arts degree? GMAT is the normalizer, it levels the playing field and give the AdCom an indication of your academic abilities.
Maybe if you are on the borderline and the AdCom has to make a subjective decision, the undergrad institution will come into play.
But I'm not the AdCom and I'm in the same boat as you. I'm just taking a wild a$$ guess.
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
I think we need to look past the generic us news and world report ranking. For instance Carnegie Mellon may not be in the top 10 overall, but they are in computer science, engineering, etc. Majoring in something technical at an Ivy liberal arts school in my opinion doesn't look as good.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
From what I've heard, some undergraduate institutions have a reputation for grading either easier or much or rigorously. B-schools know that and when they take a look at your GPA they take that into account. A 3.0 at the Naval Academy, for instance, carries a lot more weight than a 3.0 at Harvard due to the fact that its very difficult to get less than a B- in a class at Harvard and very difficult to get a B at all at the Naval Academy.
GMAT Club Bot