Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 11:40 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 11:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Send PM
Re: INSEAD JAN 09 INTAKE [#permalink]
By the way, there is an interesting article in the Economist called 'INSEAD out' about top B-school diversity in Europe...

https://mba.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=vie ... 1833007368
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
If you would compare the chances of getting into INSEAD to any top school in US .. what school would it be .?
I've got dings and a wlist from my US apps. in R1/R2 ... and want to guess my chances at INSEAD ... help, anyone?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
rk4g63 wrote:
SEE INSIDE YOUR OWN COMMENTS AS BELOW -

aceman626 wrote:
Anyone in for INSEAD Jan 09 intake?

I have a few questions, any help will be appreciated.

1) When recs are submitted online, do we get an email notification? My recommender sent it in, but i didn't get anything indication. How do we verify that it has been sent in? YOU DON'T BUT YOUR RECEOMMENDER DOES.

2) How's INSEAD for career switchers into top tier consulting McK, Bain, Bcg? I know those firms hire a lot from INSEAD, but how many of those are company sponsored, and how many already have relevent experience pre MBA? I would like to know how easy it is to do a complete career switch into the top consulting firms. INSEAD IS PERHAPS THE BIGGEST CONSULTING SCHOOL.

Thanks.

Yes I realize that it is strong in consulting, which is why there are many people from consulting who go to INSEAD in the first place. I am still a bit skeptical in the numbers. Most people I have talked to were sponsored by their firm (McK, Bain, BCG) or they ahve previous relevent experience in consulting (ie deloitte/accenture/IBM/boutiques -> MBB, or MBB->MBB but non-sponsored).

I am trying to figure out if there is indeed feasible to do a complete career switch, considering that its only a 10 months program.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Send PM
gmat_march wrote:
If you would compare the chances of getting into INSEAD to any top school in US .. what school would it be .?
I've got dings and a wlist from my US apps. in R1/R2 ... and want to guess my chances at INSEAD ... help, anyone?

I dont think there is any correlation between apps to US schools and app to INSEAD. The quality of the app is what matters as it could easily vary depending on how much effort you have put into it. For eg. I know a student who applied to 3 US schools + INSEAD, got dinged from all three, but got in at INSEAD and came here. And I know another student who applied to 4 US schools + INSEAD, got accepted to 3 US schools and 1 waitlist, and got in at INSEAD and came here as well. So, if you think INSEAD is a good match, put in the effort and you get the result accordingly. Good luck!
Director
Director
Send PM
aceman626 wrote:
rk4g63 wrote:
SEE INSIDE YOUR OWN COMMENTS AS BELOW -

aceman626 wrote:
Anyone in for INSEAD Jan 09 intake?

I have a few questions, any help will be appreciated.

1) When recs are submitted online, do we get an email notification? My recommender sent it in, but i didn't get anything indication. How do we verify that it has been sent in? YOU DON'T BUT YOUR RECEOMMENDER DOES.

2) How's INSEAD for career switchers into top tier consulting McK, Bain, Bcg? I know those firms hire a lot from INSEAD, but how many of those are company sponsored, and how many already have relevent experience pre MBA? I would like to know how easy it is to do a complete career switch into the top consulting firms. INSEAD IS PERHAPS THE BIGGEST CONSULTING SCHOOL.

Thanks.

Yes I realize that it is strong in consulting, which is why there are many people from consulting who go to INSEAD in the first place. I am still a bit skeptical in the numbers. Most people I have talked to were sponsored by their firm (McK, Bain, BCG) or they ahve previous relevent experience in consulting (ie deloitte/accenture/IBM/boutiques -> MBB, or MBB->MBB but non-sponsored).

I am trying to figure out if there is indeed feasible to do a complete career switch, considering that its only a 10 months program.

Career switching is an interesting topic at INSEAD. I think if you check the career stats for INSEAD you will see that a lot of ppl do change careers. But the truth is it takes more effort on one's part to change careers. So, instead of which school you attend, it is about how much effort you put in. Now 10 month doesn't help but if you have confidence in yourself then you can do it. 1 tip I have is join the January intake instead of Sept intake as you will get the opportunity to do an internship (July-Aug) so that helps. I know a former Global Finance Manager from GE did not get a finance internship this summer, but a BAH consultant and a French engineer did get IB internships for summer and will be working at London. So, career-switching is possible. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
i think that anyone with the right skills and an MBA can switch to management consulting. the skills that you need for management consulting are:
- 40% in your GMAT>700
- 40% in your communication skills
- 20% in what you can learn in your MBA

And also I do not think that that yourt chances changes very much if you graduate form INSEAD or from RSM or SDA. What it really matters is how are YOU, how are your intellectuale and communication skills.
Most INSEAD students go to Management consulting mainly because of a very hard pre-selection: insead select people who both have the skills and have the will to go in MNC.
All this, IMHO!

Instead I would have (if admintted to INSEAD) the opposite problem: i want to go into industry, and INSEAD seems not having so many companies in campus interested in these jos, i am afraid.

C.
Director
Director
Send PM
christian79 wrote:
i think that anyone with the right skills and an MBA can switch to management consulting. the skills that you need for management consulting are:
- 40% in your GMAT>700

And also I do not think that that yourt chances changes very much if you graduate form INSEAD or from RSM or SDA. What it really matters is how are YOU, how are your intellectuale and communication skills.
Most INSEAD students go to Management consulting mainly because of a very hard pre-selection: insead select people who both have the skills and have the will to go in MNC.
All this, IMHO!

Instead I would have (if admintted to INSEAD) the opposite problem: i want to go into industry, and INSEAD seems not having so many companies in campus interested in these jos, i am afraid.

C.

Hi christian...what industries are you interested in? About 1/3rd of our grads go to work in industry every year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton (R1), MIT (R1), Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2)
 Q51  V41
Send PM
guys, I am considering applying to the Jan'09 intake. I want to like to hear any tips about the application process.

Thanks
Poochandi
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am applying too.
I think I am in the same condition as you are. I would suggest you to book an Open DAy (I'll go there the 16th of May), and to stress all your international experiences.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry for my ignorance, but what exactly is Open Day? Is it just a class visit program or is it after you submit the app that you actually meet the adcom?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys,

Has anyone received an interview call for Round 1 (Jan 09 intake), yet?
The deadline is April 18th for interview calls.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
christian79 wrote:
- 40% in your GMAT>700

All this, IMHO!

C.

My company is full of INSEAD grads..and most top European industrial companies hire extensively from INSEAD
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Applied for R2 for Jan '09 Intake and now waiting for interview invites to be sent out. Any other gmatclubbers applied to Insead for R1 or R2?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone,
I wanted to apply for R2 but due to an insufficient GMAT score, have had to postpone my application. I was thinking of sending it for R3, but having read some of your comments, I wonder if that's such a good idea... do you really think I have less chances of being accepted if I apply for R3 than if I wait for R1 of Sept 09? I called INSEAD and asked them if it made a difference applying for R1, R2, or R3 and they said it made absolutely no difference. I was told the number of accepted applicants was the same for each round... are they not telling the truth?? I'm so confused!! :???

What do think? Honestly. Why to you so firmly believe it isn't a good idea to apply for R3? I would much prefer to start in Jan in order to get the summer internhip... but if that means having less chances of being accepted, then I guess I'll wait :(

Anyway, hopefully we all get accepted and see each other next year!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,
Newbie on GmatClub here with a follow up question on concentrations.

Is it me or does INSEAD not really have concentrations per se? They have the core program & the electives (grouped by subject area), but nothing explicit about concentrations... I am looking into marketing and it looks like alot of the applicants are international business, general management, entrepreneurship, finance, so I was just wondering if I missed something in the website.

How has R2 interviews gone for applicants? Do you know what the acceptance rate is once an applicant gets to the interview stage (I'm under the impression that for US schools, lots of people get dinged after interviews but wasn't sure if that trend applies to European schools)?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I have heard that the chances after the interview are about 50%.
I do not know about concentrations, but I spoke with a person graduated at Insead which told me that INSEAD is not very good at Marketing.

Bye
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi Christian79,

50/50 makes sense... tough school, and even if you get interview, 50% chance it's still a no-go. I got an uphill battle ahead of me....

And thanks for the heads up re. marketing -- I heard that there's not so much a very visible "leader" in EU MBA marketing arena the way there is in finance (heard ESADE/IESE/SDA Bocconi are strong at least regionally). The allure of being able to potentially live in Singapore & France and school/length/brand is SO so enticing.

Got some more to chew on -- thanks!
GMAT Club Bot