Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 744 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ashkg,

QT also pulled you down but mainly verbal did so....

640 is also not a bad score at all. 600+ is a good score. but if you are looking for 700+, better retake it. in the mean time its better to proceed application process and when you get your new score you can submit the same...

all the best.....

Originally posted by HIMALAYA on 29 Jun 2005, 20:21.
Last edited by HIMALAYA on 30 Jun 2005, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ashkg,
Don't let it overwhelm you. it's afterall a system - and all systems can be can be figured out and mastered. One piece of advice, Verbal clicks better if you relax a bit. One good way of doing that is to read a lot - including things you enjoy- like fiction, maybe. I try to treat myself to some good quality fiction as part of my 'getting ready for verbal' strategy.
Not only does it let me unwind, but also helps with my verbal skills.
If you can get a higher score why settle for less?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 661 [0]
 Q49  V35
Send PM
[#permalink]
ashkg:

I am a living example of the one who followed Paul's advice to the last word! When I started reading Paul's explanations, I thought Paul is really superb and he know every detail of grammar off-the-cuff. But then, I realised the trick! Paul doesn't give off-the-cuff solutions to verbal SC - he analyses each problem, in his own golden words, in "excruciating detail". That basically means, if you do a SC/CR/RC correct and then you redo the same problem 1 month down the line, you should remember all the grammar flaws of that question or what exactly is the thought process for a CR or how exactly you analysed the RC, the last time you did it!
I do not feel ashamed that I have given GMAT thrice, the first time scoring just 600 - the second time, with a lot of structured prep and scientific analysis a lowly 570, but then, believe me it is the attitude that counts a lot! The third time around, I thought I have exhausted all the material and even remembered answers for most of the questions (even in the couple of practice tests that I gave), but I realised that I never analysed each question in the level of detail it entails.
My advice to you, after been through the same turmoil, is:
Stop doing full length tests. (if you think you already have the stamina)
Firstly, focus on questions that you have got CORRECT in the past and try to identify the grammar flaws (for SC) in all the incorrect options. An option might seem a no-brainer, but remember that you need to explain yourself the exact flaw in that incorrect option.
For CR: I am no expert, but all I can say is to practice all the LSAT questions(if possible) again going through each of the options.
RC: The method that I followed was to paraphrase each paragraph and try to mentally draw a picture of the RC. I started off by writing down what I understood from each paragraph in a few simple words(with no time limit) and then started to attack the questions. This approach is going to give you a lot of confidence (the essential ingredient of success) - then try to work out RC's with time limit. Though you might not be able to complete questions in section practice tests, you sure are going to have a good comprehension and approach - this is exactly what would be tested in your final exam.

We know you are a 700+ candidate, just muster all the traces of strength you have and restart your prep. Target a timeframe of 45 days.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ashkg:

You have the potential and this I can say from your posts . Do go for another shot....I have no strategies to offer but I believe you got the potential....

All the best!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 579 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ash, Keep your chin up man. I totally agree with Vithal and Paul posts. I'm in the same situation you're in. After taking the exam on Aug 23rd 2004, I exhausted all material and my score was still a 650 [M-49, V-29]. So i totally understand what you're going through. There is hope.

For SC's ask yourself are you able to pick the OA after eliminating all the other ACs for grammatical reasons? Paul sets the standard in that aspect. I've drawn inspiration in how he solves SC's and am attempting to follow his strategy.

For CR's and RC's use LSAT material. When you start working harder problems you're shortcomings are exposed more readily. Be prepated to "face" your flaws and rectify them. Develop a methodlogy for CR's and RC's, working with CR's and RC's from "Official" LSAT material.

I hope you find my post useful. Last but not least, go through "Share your GMAT experiences" and draw inspiration from each invididual posts. Every time i get down on myself, i read/draw inspiration from many of the "Share your GMAT" experience posts. Believe me, it never gets old!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ashk, sorry here about your experience. In my opinion, you should go ahead and apply to schools anyway. In the mean time you can still go ahead and prepare for the next attempt. Some pointers I can offer you are as follows

1. It is extremely important to keep an error log. It is more important to review your error log on a weekly basis.

2. Once you establish your stamina, doing full length tests won't help you much. Instead focus on the concepts and "learn the concepts to the bone".

3. Try to solve problems under timed conditions, you could do in steps of 20 problems at a time.

4. Be very careful of first few questions and keep track of your time during the exam.

5. Have faith in your preparation and go with a positive attitude.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ash,

math isn't a problem for you but verbal needs work. you said that this time
you felt you were getting the right answer whenever you were answering
a verbal question on the exam. this is a good sign imo, it means you were thinking
logically, without guessing, and eliminated wrong answers one by one - you are improving. the bad part you
didn't have a chance to get to the harder questions.
so
here are my thoughts, I also have struggled with verbal. you need to do LSAT RC's and CR's. you will be destroyed at first but believe me, GMAT RC's and CR's will seem a joke after them.
Take a break for 2 weeks, study LSAT for 1 months, occasionally doing math problems, then take the test.

I agree with Paul and Vithal that you need to be able to scrutinize the question and understand all its workings, but you must be able to do this in a timely fashion and under stress. If you manage to do this analysis subconsciencely (is it a word???) and automatically, you will be the king of the verbal. That's why practicing timed hard questions is important.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 744 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi friends,

I really appreciate all your words of encouragement :). I am taking some time off to think abt the future and decide my course of action. I also need to catch up on a few things.

thanks once again for your replies,
really nice to see so many of you supporting me,
regards
ash.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts