GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Nov 2019, 02:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

3 Tips for Handling a Low GMAT Quant Score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
MBA Admissions Consultant
P
3 Tips for Handling a Low GMAT Quant Score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2016, 00:47

A low quant score on the GMAT (at the lower end of the school’s 80% range) is never good news, but it doesn’t equal immediate rejection. As I’ve mentioned in the past, no single score is scrutinized independently, but rather your entire profile is examined as a unified package.

WWAS (What Would Adcom Say)?

Interpret your scores as an adcom member would and ask yourself these questions:

• Is the rest of your profile stellar?

• Do you have solid grades in quant-related courses?

• Is it possible that you’re just not great at standardized tests?

• Is your score perhaps not so low for people in your demographic group?

• Are you applying to schools where the average GMAT score is not far off from your lower-than-you-would’ve-wished score?

If you answered "yes" to any of the above, then you have a chance!

3 Steps to Despite-Low-Quant-GMAT Success

The following 3 tips will help you overcome the odds and present a strong case of acceptance to a top b-school, despite your lower-than-desired quant stats.

1. Do more. Do better.

You MUST improve your quantitative abilities or demonstrate that you have them in some other way. In b-school and in the business world at large, knowing how to crunch numbers is essential. You’ll need to act quickly to show you are equipped for a spot in their next b-school class. Enroll in a calculus, statistics, and/or accounting class at your local community college ASAP. Make sure you have the prerequisite skills; you will need to earn an A! If you have time, also take additional quant-oriented courses, like finance or economics.

2. Highlight your quant abilities

In your resume and essays, highlight quantitative aspects of your work to further demonstrate your quant proficiency. Use vivid details, examples, and anecdotes that will prove to the adcoms that your low quant score was a fluke, and that it’s clear to you and those who work with you that there are no quant problems here.

3. Let your recommenders get the job done

Ask your recommenders to highlight your quantitative achievements as well. Having a respected third-party vouch for your skill will help you immensely.

Remember, your scores don't exist in a vacuum. With the right moves, you can overcome this weakness and still present a super strong MBA application.

Related Resources:

Handling a Low GMAT Verbal Score
MBA Admissions Tip: Dealing with a Low GPA
Low GMAT Score? Don’t Panic…Yet.

This article originally appeared on blog.accepted.com.

Applying to a top b-school? The talented folks at Accepted have helped hundreds of applicants get accepted to their dream programs. Whether you are figuring out where apply, writing your application essays, or prepping for your interviews, we are just a call (or click) away.

Contact us, and get matched up with the consultant who will help you get accepted!

Listen to Admissions Straight Talk for interviews with admissions directors, MBAs, test prep pros, and financial aid sources.
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog
Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Non-Human User
Re: 3 Tips for Handling a Low GMAT Quant Score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 18:45
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: 3 Tips for Handling a Low GMAT Quant Score   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2017, 18:45

3 Tips for Handling a Low GMAT Quant Score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics