It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 11:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

IMD MBA Admissions and Related Blogs!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

All you need is twenty seconds of courage [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2017, 08:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: All you need is twenty seconds of courage
How do you decide if or when you should do an MBA? 2018 candidate, Joyce Tsuchiya Melo, writes today’s guest entry about her decision.

During my journey towards the IMD MBA, my coach asked me, “Who are you?” It was as if he knew that this was the question that had been looming in my mind for the last few months. I had also been dreading the answer!

It had taken me 14 years to get to that point of my career. I had a very privileged position for a surgeon of my age – I was on a great path and yet something was off. I realized more and more I was always running against time, and finding ways around policies and contracts I firmly disagreed with. My patients and I were only subjects of a system I had no impact on. If I thought about healthcare as an industry, I was the workforce, but I wanted to be something else.

I needed change so badly, but oddly enough actually making a decision was almost too hard. Breaking free from an established, comfortable routine is scary, especially when you have a lot to lose. For someone with my background, taking the path towards an international MBA seemed very improbable. I was not in the least familiar with the terms and processes, and it was all overwhelming, almost paralyzing. So I decided to tackle it the only way I knew: one step at a time.

Little did I know that I only had to take that first step. Remember Alice in Wonderland? This is just like going into that rabbit hole. All of sudden you’re somewhere new with different rules, customs, people and you have no idea where you’ll end up.

During the last year, I have met so many interesting people, seen new things and had amazing experiences. Until then I had never taken the time to actually reflect on that first question, and I learned a lot about myself – I learned that I’m a work in progress, I guess we all are. And that’s why we’re here, to work towards whatever it is that we’re going to become.

So before embarking on the MBA journey, be ready to question everything you thought your life was supposed to be about. Be ready to lose and find yourself many times again and again. Be prepared to be amazed at what you can do and come into this with your heart open. The change you long for so much is just right over there, all you need is twenty seconds of courage.

Looking forward to the challenges to come!

Joyce

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Manager
Manager

Networking across the world [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2017, 07:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Networking across the world
“It is an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be seen in San Francisco” – Oscar Wilde

After we got back from our CEPs from all over the world, we had advanced analytics classes for 6 days. We learnt some quantitative analysis concepts – regression, conjoint analysis, company valuation etc.

Since then we have also had our first detailed meetings with our international consulting project (ICP) clients. For our ICP, my group is working on pricing of a drug for a big pharmaceutical company. When it comes to pricing, I guess nothing comes close to the complexity of pharma industry. We had a lively discussion in the group about the moral, ethical and financial consequences of pharma pricing. We had to debate complex issues like quality adjusted life years, and sustainability of the R&D capabilities of the industry. So, I am very excited about this project and looking forward to the challenge.

But right now, we are in one of the most exciting periods of the IMD MBA. Our class will be divided into three groups who will be traveling to different corners of the world for our Discovery Expeditions. The purpose of these trips is to understand the countries, meet companies and alumni, potentially meet recruiters, and also to generally get a flavor of the place. This year 30 IMD MBAs are traveling to Shanghai, China and Tokyo, Japan. Another group is going to Dubai and Singapore. Finally, my group is going to Monterrey, Mexico and San Francisco, USA.

Least to say, we are all very excited about the trip. For weeks, we have been planning who to meet, what to do when we are there etc. The advantage of a global MBA like IMD is the different nationalities in the class. I come from Singapore/India. There were few other classmates of mine who have lived or worked in Singapore before and we put together a list of places to see and things to do in Singapore. Similarly, other classmates of mine also sent us lists of places to see and food to try in Mexico etc.

During our discovery trip, we will be hosted by SalesForce and will be meeting with local government officials to understand the region and meet companies. I am most excited about visiting the Tesla factory. Classmates going to Singapore are visiting some prestigious names like Temasek and Apple.

During these trips, there will be an alumni event at each destination – Singapore, San Francisco, and Shanghai. We encourage future applicants to register for these events and come visit us to have your questions answered and potentially network with some of our alumni.

Link to register – http://www.imd.org/mba/one-year-mba-program-events/

Hope to see you in California,

Sathappan

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

Manager
Manager

The Zurich Enterprise Challenge [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2017, 00:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: The Zurich Enterprise Challenge
IMD has won the prestigious European Private Equity Case Competition for the last two years. This year three teams from IMD took up another challenge with a very different flavour.

They embarked on the three stage Zurich Enterprise Challenge announced by Project Firefly.

Today’s joint guest entry comes from two of the contenders: Indian Ishwinder Bawa and Manu Gupta.

Project Firefly was set up in 2012 to provide merit based platforms to students and recent graduates to deliberate and cooperate with each other and to interact with established industry leaders and thinkers. The Zurich Enterprise Challenge is one of the flagship events from Project Firefly. Through the three stages, it gives an opportunity to work with one of the world’s top insurance company and interact with its corporate clients to solve real life strategy and business challenges.

This was the first year when IMD teams participated in the Zurich Enterprise Challenge.

The first round had us evaluate the potential expansion risks and opportunities for an automobile company. Apart from an advanced risk management tool provided by Zurich Insurance Company Ltd, we had to delve into many corporate strategy and international business strategy frameworks, to address market and policy-related risks faced by firms. About 90 teams competed in round one from business schools across the world. With all the three teams getting through, IMD had a 100% success rate in making it to the next round of the competition.

The second phase had the top twenty teams assigned to ten partner companies of Zurich Insurance Company Ltd. This was a unique opportunity to work closely with these established enterprises and to advise them on key market challenges that they wanted addressed.

We heard back on the results of the second phase and two of the three IMD teams have qualified for the phase 3. The Project Firefly team and their academic review board will now review the entries and along with Zurich Insurance Company, will announce the top two teams shortly. These teams will get to travel to Edinburg for the Global Risk Management Summit and will present their submissions to industry experts from all over the world.

We will leave this post unfinished as we look forward to the final result….

ImageImage

The two teams who qualified for phase 3

Ishwinder and Manu Gupta.

Manager
Manager

Singapore – 1st day [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 05:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Singapore – 1st day
The MBAs have all arrived at their first destinations for the Discovery Expeditions. Ji’an Zheng, part of the group in Singapore, shares some photos from their first day.

Manager
Manager

The Lion City ! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 08:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: The Lion City !
Time has flown by and we are 8 months into the program. This is also the time of the year when the batch splits into three and we head off to different corners of the world trying to get a flavour of the cultural and socio-economic elements of different economies.  Yes !! It is time for the Discovery Trip- touted to be the most fun element of the program!  So over the next few days you will be hearing from the blog team about the experiences of the batch from different corners of the world.

Landing into Singapore struck me with a wave of nostalgia and some vivid memories of my previous trips. Yet, as we left the airport to reach the hotel, I felt amazed yet again with the order, cleanliness and efficiency with which Singapore operates.  Coming from the serenity of Lausanne to the hustle bustle of Singapore is a stark transition and a reminder of the fact that IMD gives us a bubble in which we live and work in for a year and life is what lies beyond school!

Coming back to the trip, the first two days have been super exciting. We had the chance to meet companies in different industries from oil and gas to medical devices and financial services between yesterday and today. Moreover, we met the Urban Development Authority of Singapore and learnt about the roots and heritage of the country. This visit in particular provided an interesting perspective of the vision for long term development of the founders of this country. This clearly reflects in how the country has transformed over the last many years and evolved to its current form today.

No trip is complete without exploring the food and culture of the city. Hence yesterday evening we were exposed to culinary delights ranging from ethnic Chinese to Malay and Indian cuisine. There is an interesting line up of company visits along with gastronomic and cultural tours lined up in the week ahead so more posts will follow shortly. We will also be presenting the NTF in Singapore this week  and in Dubai the week after.

Please pardon the brevity of this post. I am jetlagged and extremely exhausted.  But I promise to post more about our adventures shortly.  Meanwhile I leave you with some pictures from our first day in Singapore.  Ironically no pictures of the Merlion Image

Manager
Manager

MBAs in Singapore & Monterrey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2017, 03:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: MBAs in Singapore & Monterrey
Second day of Discovery Expeditions – photos from Singapore and Monterrey

Singapore

Monterrey

Manager
Manager

Good morning Monterrey! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2017, 09:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Good morning Monterrey!
What can be more beautiful than an authentic Mexican breakfast amidst a Tuscan vineyard! We had the best of both worlds coming together in the beautiful boroughs of El Charro.

Rajashree Patankar, from India, shares her Discovery experiences in today’s guest blog.

Success stories are woven through millions of experiences in life and we were just about to witness that through a discussion that awaited us. As Rightly said by Steve Jobs you have to simply do what you ought to and believe that the dots will some how connect in the future.

Here was Mr. Ramon Alberto Garza, the founder and CEO of Magenta Digital, a firm believer in the future of digital revolution and the pressing need for upward social mobility in every strata of the society. Ramón Alberto served as editorial director for El Norte a newspaper in Latin America which was recognized with 18 international awards for his work in investigative journalism, community and human rights advocacy in Latin America.  He was the President of Editorial Televisa, the most important group of print media in the Spanish speaking world, with 44 million titles sold annually. He founded Indigo, a center of intelligence and political advice, published by Reporte Indigo, the first multimedia virtual communication experience in Mexico dedicated to Understanding of issues of high political, economic and social impact. He later went on to resign from Televisa and was dedicated full time to this venture. His insights in building Reporte Indigo, a platform to publish the latest news and influencing the masses through honest reporting, comes across as a beacon of hope to everyone who dares to dream and believes in fulfilling them.

As a visionary who believes that success means creating options for oneself without being burdened by others’ influence, he encouraged us to take opportunities that only appealed to us truly during our career path. This comes from his mantra to have passion or a flame within which drives you and translates into accomplishments in the long run.

We also had a peek into Mexican politics and how it is driving the future of all the upcoming economy of Mexico. As Mexico heads into its presidential elections, it became more and more evident to us of how the the educated and influential families of Mexico are now booting increasingly for a leadership that protects its people and takes the right measures to eradicate corruption from the country. It was indeed a confluence of deep knowledge, experience and aspirations for a country of his dreams from an entrepreneur.

His grand children call him a “rainmaker” because believe it or not he has huge trees in the vineyard which can be watered and made green with fresh leaves within an hour with a raining mechanism which he has developed. Unbelievable, isn’t it? But I would say it is expected of a philanthropist who always believed he could.

Great breakfast, a lovely host, a perfect location nestled in the woods and so much learning. This discovery expedition just got even more interesting!

Raji

Manager
Manager

Shanghai & Monterrey [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2017, 03:25
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Shanghai & Monterrey
Our MBAs are again on the move – here are the last photos from Shanghai and Monterrey. Next stops: Tokyo, San Francisco and Dubai!

Shanghai Trip

Last day in Monterrey

Manager
Manager

Nevernight City [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 11:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Nevernight City
According to a popular saying, Shanghai not only never sleeps but is also the cultural sea into which all rivers run.

Cities and the lives unfolding in them are the product of human thinking. Whether by design or through unintended consequences, within cities, all that surrounds us is the result of human action.

Although affected by societal shortcomings, scarred and magnified by the passage of time, complexified by cultural changes and ideals from one generation to another, the urban centres we live in remain tangible manifestations of our collective and individual imagination.

Some cities clearly evolve faster than others. Shanghai is one of those. Fuelled by China’s rapidly growing economy and massive migration, the “Nevernight City” witnessed a 50% increase in the population of its total administrative area between 2000 and 2017, jumping from 16.4 million to 24.2 million. According to researchers and government officials, the metropolis will have a population of over 50 million by 2050.

Greatly shaped by influxes of Chinese refugees seeking shelter in the foreign settlements during the turmoil caused by the Small Sword Society in the 1850s, Shanghai’s ascension to a truly globalized city started long ago. As time passed by and individuals from East and West continuously poured into each other’s dreams and aspirations, the Shanghainese turned more and more into what influential Chinese writer Eileen Chang characterized in the late 1940s as “clever and sophisticated people, good at flattery and chicanery but not to excess. Shanghai people are distilled from traditional Chinese people under the pressure of modern life; they are the product of a deformed mix of old and new culture. The result may not be healthy, but in it there is also a curious wisdom.” (Eileen Chang, The Joy of Apartment Living – Gongyu shenghuo jiqu).

Every time I returned to Shanghai after a first summer stay as a language student at Jiao Tong University, I got intoxicated by the energy and creativity of the city. Nothing has changed: today’s Shanghai is – more than ever – a place that seems to defy conventional thinking, spurred by an all defying economic growth of around seven percent over the past few years.

Spending a day along the Bund, at the shiny new headquarter of Fosun Property where we met and had presentations – among others – by Mr. Wang, Executive Director at Fosun Property, and Mr. Yong, President of the IMD Alumni Club Shanghai and CEO of China’s largest private equity growth fund, marked the start of our Shanghai experience. We discussed the challenges of due diligence in China, moved into topics relating to the TMT sector and addressed concerns of NGOs in the country.

This was followed by a day of visits and encounters at the PwC Shanghai Innovation Centre where we were welcomed by top level executives and openly exchanged on issues relating to press freedom as well as the trends driving China’s economy in years to come.

Our encounters with Grace Lin Xu, the highly energetic CEO of Viva Nutrition and internet sensation on all matters pertaining to holistic health, as well as with Emma Wang, partner at Noah Wealth Management, stand out; these two ladies remarkably exemplified what Shanghainese business women can accomplish. We also presented our insights from Navigating the Future conferences on Food Security – a topic that constantly remains in the minds of many Chinese – as well as on social and economic issues in the MENA region, drawing parallels to some of the challenges currently faced by China.

As I start to draft my ideas for this post in the bus to Pudong International Airport, I wonder about how much more the speed at which Shanghai is evolving can further increase; the city seems to irresistibly buzz forward, as if trying to conquer the future. That is, unless the next generation of dreamers fuelling the ideas for the city’s tangible transformation decides to slow down.

Maybe somewhere around 2050.

For now, the end of the journey is nowhere in sight.

Shanghai keeps on translating its imagination into a very tangible reality.

Lucien

Manager
Manager

MBAs explore the Middle East [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2017, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: MBAs explore the Middle East
From Dubai to Abu Dhabi, Ji’an Zheng shares more photos as he and his group move to the second phase of their Discovery Expedition and leave Singapore behind.

Dubai

Abu Dhabi

Manager
Manager

Contrasting Kyoto and Dubai [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2017, 09:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Contrasting Kyoto and Dubai
The Discovery Trip is nearing it’s end, but we still have photos coming in from Lucien in Kyoto and Ji’an in Dubai.

Manager
Manager

Strategic Leadership in Japan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2017, 04:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Strategic Leadership in Japan
Taiwanese participant, Will Chiou, managed to write a final guest entry about the highlight of his Asian Discovery Expedition before boarding a plane to return to IMD with his group.

It was the morning, and as we walked into the classroom at Tokyo’s Institute for Strategic Leadership (ISL) we received a standing applause from the other 38 ISL participants. Immediately we felt the hospitality and kindness of our Japanese friends.

As a Taiwanese who grew up under the influence of the Japanese culture, I thought I knew Japan well. But as we started the class, I started to realize that I only knew the surface.

The first presentation of the day was given by Jesper Koll, the CEO of Wisdom Tree, and a foreigner who has lived in Japan for over 30 years. He gave us an optimistic view about Japan’s economy and development from an outsider’s perspective. The session was followed by a presentation by Bruno and me. With the help of our dearest fellow classmates, we used data from IMD’s global competitiveness index and drew insights based on the experience and learning of our class from these past few days in Kyoto and Tokyo. Next up was Paul Duerloo, Partner and Managing Director of The Boston Consulting Group’s Tokyo office, who gave us an amazing session about the most challenging aspect when conducting business in Japan – reading between the lines in the Japanese work place. The final speech was delivered by Yoshiaki Fujimori, former Chairman, President and CEO of GE Japan, who provided his perspective on what consists of global leadership and had an interesting debate with our lovely host, Dr. Noda, on Japan’s lifetime employment issue.

It was a day packed with learning and excitement, and it was a precious opportunity for the MBA class of 2017 to work with a group of brilliant senior managers from top industry players in Japan. As someone who aspires to work in Japan after IMD, I can say that this trip has provided me great exposure to, and in-depth understanding of, the Japanese culture and opportunities. This is definitely one of the highlights of my IMD experience.

Will

Manager
Manager

On their way home [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 09:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: On their way home
The first of the groups have arrived back in Switzerland and the other two won’t be far behind.

Tomorrow they will all be back in class, sharing their diverse experiences, learnings and impressions. I’m sure they’ll have some great stories to share and that the presentations will be interesting.

However, for now I leave you with the last photos sent by Sophie from San Francisco.

Suzy

Manager
Manager

Japan: Between Tradition and Innovation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2017, 14:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Japan: Between Tradition and Innovation
Every Discovery Expedition combines stays within both a developing country and a developed one. The China expedition was therefore followed by a visit to Japan, providing a very contrasting experience.

After landing in Osaka, the group headed to Kyoto, where Tomo Noda, founder of the Institute for Strategic Leadership and active member of Keiza Doyukai (Japan’s Association of Corporate Executives, tasked with revitalizing the economy of various regions in the country), introduced us to local company executives as well as Keiro Kitagami,  Japanese politician within the current opposition party and member of the House of Representatives in the Diet. In addition, visits to historical businesses and cultural sites in the area were arranged.

The tight schedule for a stay in Kyoto of only 2.5 days was expertly managed by Mieko Ozawa, who displayed a level of perfection in her organization that was second to none. From the maps with handwritten notes and highlighted locations handed out to each one of us at the start of a day, down to the Pasmo smart cards for public transports charged with the required amount for all trips during the stay, the dietary requirements verified weeks prior to our arrival in Japan and communicated in advance to all the restaurants we went to – in short: whatever you could possibly think of, Mieko had thought about it long ago and down to a level of details that surpassed everyone’s expectations. Less than an hour after meeting her, one of us claimed: “this is going to be the best-organized trip I have ever been on.”

Mieko – in many ways – embodies the Japanese values we witnessed again and again during our various interactions with locals. Even in seemingly mundane regularities of daily life, the attention to details, the rigor and absolute dedication to one’s tasks is so prevalent that small gestures such as the refined way shopkeepers hand out the change are opportunities to smile with admiration.

From a business perspective, it was greatly enriching to see how century old companies, such as the tea company Fukujuen, founded in 1790, and the textile company Hosoo founded in 1688, managed to continuously adapt to changing times while staying true to their origins. In the case of Hosoo, this constant balance between innovation and tradition allowed the company to shift from its original focus on producing superior quality garments for kimonos worn by the nobles of Kyoto’s Imperial Courts and the samurai class, to becoming a producer of fabrics for high-end interior and fashion designers such as Chanel, Dior, Louis Vuitton, Bulgari and many others. Hosoo reacted to a declining demand for traditional clothing – driven by multiple factors such as Japan’s changing demographics – by exploring new opportunities in which its famous textiles could be applied.

In our discussions with Masao Hosoo, President of Hosoo and 9th generation of the family running the business, great emphasis was also put on the importance of continuity (according to him, a 300-year-old company is “not that old in the eyes of a Japanese”) and the will to perpetuate the craft, so that people around the world keep  benefiting from the results of traditional production methods such as the three dimensional weaving technique or the special yarn dyeing art of Nishijin.

All business owners and managers we encountered in Kyoto genuinely believed that their mission was – first and foremost – the preservation of ancient traditional arts and values, with financial rationales dictated by NPVs and other metrics only coming in second; business owners acting as guardians of traditional culture and collective identity.

Interestingly, the balance between tradition and innovation permeates all layers of Kyoto’s society and can also be witnessed outside of the family owned businesses. All it takes is a quick stroll through Arashiyama’s Bamboo Forest in the Western part of the city, where encounters with women in traditional kimonos playing on their smartphones are numerous.

Despite its constant attention on innovation with one of the world’s highest R&D expenditures (both in absolute numbers and as a percentage of GDP), Japan is a country facing multiple challenges: extreme demographic shifts are affecting the entire societal framework, deflation remains an uncured chronic illness, government debt is equivalent to over 250 percent of the country’s GDP in 2016, and Japan’s defense budget has been underfunded for decades, forcing the country to largely rely on the US to counterbalance the growing military strength of China.

Where can Japan find a lasting economic growth that Shinzo Abe is so desperate to bring back?

Or could this entire obsession for growth, largely promoted by economists, industry, and government, in spite of the expected population decrease, be entirely wrong?

What if Japan, with its developed society and aging population, needs a different model?

And while those questions remain unanswered, fuelling a certain kind of anxiety as to what the future may hold for members of Japan’s lost generations, I have come to realise that there are only very few things in life more soothing to the restless mind than an early morning walk through the countless gates – donated by Japanese businesses – of Kyoto’s Fushimi Inari Shrine.

Lucien

Manager
Manager

MBA 2012 back on campus! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 03:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: MBA 2012 back on campus!
Walking onto campus on Friday morning was like taking a step back in time. The faces in the coffee break-out area, the foyer, were all so familiar, and yet they did not belong to this year’s participants. Instead, I was greeted by alumni from the class of 2012 who were back on campus to celebrate their five year reunion!

Their day on campus started at 08h30 and was followed by various lectures, presentations and updates by the President, the Dean and other faculty. Coffee breaks, lunch and dinner offered time to catch up with each other, partners and children, as well as IMD staff, before setting off for the mountains for further activities.

Here is the traditional fun reunion photo:

Looking forward to a guest blog to hear more about the weekend!

Suzy

Manager
Manager

First round interviews commence! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2017, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: First round interviews commence!
It’s that time of year when the atmosphere on campus starts to get tense. Graduation is just three months away and the first round of interviews is beginning.

Today started with a Career Fair, where MBAs get to talk to various companies on campus about potential openings and possibilities, and eventually set up an interview for a more in-depth discussion.

Over the next couple of weeks, there are no classes as the focus of the whole class will be on preparing for and completing interviews with their dream companies. As always, we wish them luck!

Suzy

Manager
Manager

2015 class in Milan [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Sep 2017, 02:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: 2015 class in Milan
Each year, graduates gather in various corners of the world to celebrate their class reunions, with some classes even meeting twice a year! Last weekend it was the turn of the class of 2015, who met up in Milan, Italy. Renata Caminha kindly shared a few pictures and her take on the event:

“It’s wonderful that we keep the tight bonds year after year as we meet up in a different global location. We had such a great time in Milan with lots of sharing from our current professional and personal journeys. IMD indeed foments friendships for life!”

Renata

MBA 2015

Manager
Manager

Recruitment time..  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Sep 2017, 08:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Recruitment time.. 
As I look out of the huge glass windows from the dungeons, I notice that leaves have started to change colors. The last few days have been cold and rainy. This time marks a transition both in the weather and our time here at IMD. As you might have noticed, there has been a bit of silence from the class bloggers off late. We have all been extremely caught up post the discovery trips. Yes .. It’s September and it’s the time when we start job hunting. The energy in the air is palpable and we can sense excitement, anticipation and anxiety all at the same time as we send applications, meet recruiters and interview.

We had several company presentations in the month of August and sessions from alumni with tips about application strategies, interview techniques etc. This was followed by the career fair last week and we had more companies today on campus. Most of us have figured out what we really want to do and have a structured approach to applying and interviewing. Some of us are a step closer to what we want and others are still a bit far away. But as they say Optimism is the Faith that leads to Achievement.

On that note I would want a few lines from Rudyard Kipling which I have read through the years in good times and difficult ones and hope it gives energy and optimism to all of us as batch.

..If you can make one heap of all your winnings

And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,

And lose, and start again at your beginnings

And never breathe a word about your loss;

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew

To serve your turn long after they are gone,

And so hold on when there is nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,

Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,

If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,

If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,

And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

I know that I have been brief in my last post and this one but I promise to write a detailed post about the next few days of my journey at IMD. Till the next time ..

Manager
Manager

Tips and Guidance from Leadership Coach [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 06:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Tips and Guidance from Leadership Coach
“Your visions will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”     Carl Jung

Today’s guest entry comes from Susan Goldsworthy, MBA Lead Coach at IMD.

The IMD MBA is renowned for its Leadership Stream, designed with a strong personal element. Why is this important? Well, clearly leadership starts with self and the more aware we are of our own drivers (conscious and unconscious), the better we are able to lead both ourselves and others in a mindful manner.

My fellow coaches and I are delighted to work with the students throughout the year. It is a privilege to be trusted to accompany students on their journeys and it is particularly rewarding, humbling and fulfilling to bear witness to the progress they make. It takes courage to fully immerse in the IMD MBA Leadership Stream but those that do see the biggest shifts and gain the most benefits – not just for the year but also for their lives.

At this time of year, there can be significant anxiety around the job search. As MBA Lead Coach, I share a few thoughts that I hope provide some guidance in these times of uncertainty:

• The IMD network is a powerful one – leverage it. Plant the seeds, nurture them and then harvest the results. Remember to invoke the law of reciprocity by being generous of spirit in giving support to others. And remember to thank those people who have helped you in any way.
  • Keep connected – to your classmates & to your network. Be delighted for your colleagues who receive offers. Celebrate with and for them. Be supportive of those who are still searching: be available to listen with empathy and to role-play interviews. Be secure bases for each other.
  • Focus on what you can influence rather than what may concern you but you can do nothing about. Spending time wallowing in a perceived failure is just wasted energy. When things don’t go as you may like, acknowledge the disappointment, digest it, learn from it and then let it go and refocus your energy onto those things you can influence.
  • Have the courage to step out of your comfort zones, to try new approaches and to have open and engaging dialogues with your colleagues. Care and Dare.
  • Keep an exercise routine going: the mind and body are connected and even short bursts of exercise can help enormously in maintaining a balanced perspective.
Many students are also in the ‘anticipatory grief’ stage as the unique MBA year is drawing to a close and ‘real life’ beckons. Acknowledge the emotional rollercoaster: it is important to respect these emotions – recognize and embrace them – as they are signs of the powerful connections that have been made in just one short year. The IMD MBA is often just the start of a deepening awareness that students have on their leadership journeys – and the bonds created often last a lifetime.

In the words of T.S. Eliot, “What we call the beginning is often the end. And to make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from.”

Susan

linkedin.com/in/susangoldsworthy

Manager
Manager

Forbes Ranking [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Sep 2017, 16:00
FROM IMD Admissions Blog: Forbes Ranking
We are currently going through the painful job search process that is fraught with anxiety. All of us had put our life on hold for one year and chose one of the most intense MBA programs out there. And boy, has it been intense! The challenge in this program is not just the course material. This program systematically makes you question everything you know. In that process, you come out with new realizations about yourself and life in general.

Yesterday, Forbes MBA ranking for year 2017 was released. You can see the details here. I am pleased to announce to the readers of the blog that IMD took the crown for the best MBA in International 1-year MBA category. Return on Investment is one of the biggest criteria for Forbes ranking. ROI is a good proxy for career success of our Alumni and the role played by IMD in providing them the requisite tools. According to Forbes survey, 5 year MBA gain is 194700$ with payback in 2.3 years. Those are some pretty impressive numbers. Obviously, my classmates and I are thrilled at the ranking. Below is a quick summary of Forbes results (Thanks to Bruno)

Cheers to the MBA 2012 class and everyone in IMD MBA program, who made this ranking possible.

Ciao,

Sathappan

Forbes Ranking   [#permalink] 26 Sep 2017, 16:00

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

IMD MBA Admissions and Related Blogs!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: OasisGC, aerien, BrushMyQuant

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap