Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 22:30 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 22:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22074 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1802 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Re: 5 years on- still struggling to conquer GMAT 640|Need expert guidance [#permalink]
Expert Reply
nishantsharma7 wrote:
Hi,

I was hoping my first ever post on GMAT Club would be an awesome debrief wherein I would keep it so detailed on how I conquered this exam in over 5 years (since I REALLY sympathize with people who don't have a quick 3-6 months success story and I feel the ones that really benefit from debriefs are the ones struggling for a longer duration of time (myself included)-because trust me no one wants to be in this spiral).

Long story short (I still hope that debrief would come soon but even today I am indebted to what GMAT club is doing and has done for me and countless other souls out there. I have learnt so much about different people, the GMAT exam itself and motivating stories-thank you @bb) Also special shout out to GMATNinja & souvik101990 - I have learnt more from you than most of the test prep companies in India that I have wasted my money on. (again-I hope I can give a detailed successful debrief soon where I can be more specific about how I leveraged the great mentors at GMAT Club.)

A quick background-
I am an Indian Male (yeah right!) but from a Non-IT background (some SMALL salvage)- I have studied Bachelors in Science majoring in Physics from a top college in India. I was also a professional football (soccer) player having played both at National and International Level for ~15 years before my ligament was completely torn while playing in my final year of senior college, ending my dream to play professionally for the senior India team someday.

Ever since I have graduated I have been working in the Management Consulting domain for nearly 5 years. I want to pursue an MBA now from a tier 1 college in US/Europe and was hoping I would crush the GMAT (this notion was all based on the fact that I was doing really complex Mathematics in my course and felt my English was decent too + some high scorers had told me its an easy exam(God bless them-but everyone is different)). More on my profile maybe later or in comments, so i'll jump straight to my actual fight at hand.

First Attempt- Nov 26th 2015
I was fresh out of college and recently had come to terms that my football career was indeed over. I got into the corporate world (my academics was decent- First class honors and college topper in two subject papers: Nuclear and Particle Physics and Solid State Physics | in US context GPA 3.47/4). I landed a Consulting job at a Fortune 200 company and I thought I will follow this up with an MBA some years down the line. I was 22 at the time and all I knew about GMAT was that its an easier version of the Indian CAT exam (BIGGEST LIE- as these two exams are completely mutually exclusive and one just cannot compare as they both test you on different skillsets.) I enrolled myself with Jamboree and thought their classroom program would be enough to easily score a 700+. At that time I never leveraged resources such as GMAT club and my narrow vision told me to just utilize Jamboree's material, give the exam, score well and period. I feel my over reliance on Jamboree was my biggest mistake. These companies focus on quantity over quality and can bets be used to get a ~650 score. Yes, they give out countless students with amazing scores but behind those 100s lie 1000s of average scorers who never become part of their results data + these institutes teach you the basics and often when you're doing well in your prep 650-680 range, its all down to you on how you get into advanced level questions, timing strategies, what to focus on during last 30/15 days etc the small nuances that really make a difference, thats when these prep companies often fail to give that individual 1:1 time at the very business end of your preparation as their business models/faculties have to cater to the masses- fair enough-that's how it works and one needs to expect it when they enroll for such programs. My desperation and over reliance on such prep company model led me to experience this 3 times- with Jamboree, Top 1% and Crackverbal (probably the worst) in 3 different years. However these are just my opinions and I am sure there would be a big group of students that would be happy with the services they got from these companies. More power to you.

Back to my GMAT story-
First attempt was a total disaster- after scoring consistently in the range of 650-700 in my mocks I got a score of 520 (Q44/ V22) in my actual exam. It was all down to my nerves to be honest. I suffer from moving leg syndrome and hypertensive tendencies and I really got worked up during the exam. I remember I was shivering during the exam and the proctor had to make me sit down and have water. I went with the feeling that this exam would make/break my career. My whole life was dependent on this. BIG MISTAKE!

After coming out of the center that day, I told myself I will never give this exam again. But inside I knew that if I dream to go outside I will have to give this. Someday again!

Cutting straight to 2020. In the last 5 years, I tried countless times to study again, that mostly resulted in sprints of 1-2 months and died out. During the years I felt I was more mature and had better control on my nerves but since I was occupied with my job in which I was doing fairly well I kept procrastinating and looked for reasons to delay my GMAT. Which I did for 5 years.

However, in August 2020 I decided -IT WAS ENOUGH. All these years I was just going through different Business school websites hoping one day they will say GMAT is not required for you. (Yes I know waiver are being offered today but we all know they will not cut it out for someone from India that makes up for a very very competitive pool).

from August 2020 till three days back- I completely isolated myself and took GMAT head-on. This journey also made me realize that I HAD NOT STUDIED AT ALL THE LAST TIME I GAVE IT. I leveraged GMAT club to the fullest, read blogs, saw countless Youtube video's of experts, almost 50+ debriefs conducted by GMAT Club and other prep companies- all of this to ensure I familiarize with all the material, challenges, quick fix strategies, and all other miscellaneous things that could help me in my journey.

Second attempt-15th Dec 2020- I scored a 640 ( Q48, V29)- Again I felt my nerves were taking control but I tried my best to not let what happened the last time. I had somewhat better control on my nerves and my legs. But one might say this is a 120 point improvement from my last attempt and somewhat similar to what I had been getting in my mocks (details below) prior to this attempt. However, I feel this is not what I am capable of. I genuinely feel I can hit the 700+ mark. I think I have gathered all the knowledge from a course standpoint but I am definitely missing the last mile details/applications of certain concepts/pacing to help me take the next leap from a 640 to perhaps a 710/720 or beyond.

Here is a breakdown of my prep results and the material I used-

1. GMAT Prep 1 (19/10/20) Quant Scaled score: 50 Verbal Scaled Score 33 | Error split- RC -2 CR-2 SC-8 |
2. GMAT Prep 3 (04/11/20) Quant Scaled score: 50 Verbal Scaled Score 36 | Error split- RC -6 CR-2 SC-2 |
3. GMAT Prep 6 (08/11/20) Quant Scaled score: 49 Verbal Scaled Score 20 | Error split- RC -8 CR-5 SC-4 |
4. GMAT Prep 5 (19/11/20) Quant Scaled score: 47 Verbal Scaled Score 33 | Error split- RC -4 CR-3 SC-4 |
5. GMAT Prep 4 (19/11/20) Quant Scaled score: 47 Verbal Scaled Score 28 | Error split- RC -8 CR-4 SC-5 |
6. Veritas Prep 1 (22/11/20) Quant Scaled score: 47 Verbal Scaled Score 32
7. GMAT Prep 2 (11/12/20) Quant Scaled score: 48 Verbal Scaled Score 38 | Error split- RC -4 CR-3 SC-5 |
8. GMAT Club CAT primarily used for Quant- average scaled score 48-49

Materials used:-
1. Manhattan SC guide
2. Crackverbal online material for Quant and Verbal concept videos
3. OG 2020, Verbal and Quant Review 2020

I want to give another shot (perhaps my last) but be very strategic about how to proceed because like every other student who has dedicatedly studied for months- I have exhausted most of the official material, I have a well detailed error log, which I can happily discuss in more detail with someone over a private window. I feel there is something missing in my prep-certain key value adds that can certainly help me push and break the 700 mark.

I would really appreciate it if the experts on this platform can help me zero down on how to best approach my next attempt, which resources I should focus on and how to better control my nerves on this exam. I thank you all for whatever you have done for me till now (because I AM SURE I HAVE READ SOMETHING REALLY USEFUL AND AWESOME YOU HAVE WRITTEN ON THIS FORUM ALREADY and I thank you in advance for all your valuable insights and suggestions going forward.

P.S- facing difficulty attaching my ESR on this post.

Sincerely,
Nishant

Hi Nishant,

I see that you are fairly good in quant but are struggling a bit with verbal. Your verbal scores seem to be inconsistent. This happens when you there is an inconsistency in your approach towards solving questions. You need to be conceptually strong and need to use the right strategies to eliminate four incorrect answer choices and finally choose the right one. If any of the two are missing, you will likely end up being stuck between two answer choices.

The path ahead:

I see that, you are making mistakes in all the three modules of Verbal. So, it's important that you focus on all the three modules, identify what's exactly going wrong, what's holding your score back and then work on the weak areas. To be precise,
  • go through the solutions of all the questions you have solved till now,
  • compare your approach with the right one,
  • identify at which step you have faltered and
  • narrow down the gaps if any.

Having said that, I would like to have a detailed discussion with you to understand your concerns and guide you in a better way. I suggest you that we get in touch over a call, analyze your ESR, identify the weak areas and figure out the plan. You can use the below link to schedule a call with me.

Click here to schedule a call
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22074 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: 5 years on- still struggling to conquer GMAT 640|Need expert guidance [#permalink]
Expert Reply
nishantsharma7 wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep Thanks for the prompt response. I will go through the links you provided for CR, SC,and RC.

Also your test day anxiety article- I have read almost 10 times in the last one month. Its one of the best takes on how one should tune themselves before taking a standardized test like GMAT.

I look forward to staying in touch with you.

I'm happy to help!
GMAT Club Bot