GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Oct 2019, 02:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-16-2013
GPA: 3
62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 09:10
Please be careful on the tricky words:

Deceleration of sth does not that means Doing sth:

62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves Democrats - See more at: http://gmatclub.com/blog/2015/07/gmat-q ... La5U2.dpuf.

So the questionable section is whether all 62 % ( who declared Democrat) have voted or no? May just 20% of mentioned people vote. 8-)
Intern
Intern
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: 62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2015, 22:31
Not sure if this might help, but the answer choice C mentions that the percentages are SIGNIFICANTLY higher. So, the OP's argument of 90% of 100 is lesser than 80% of 200 wouldn't really work (I don't think 10% is considered significant in the GMAT -- even though this may be vague). Also, if you pick B, that answer choice doesn't resolve anything as the voters can vote any party, so how would that be better than C?

I think this is one of those pick the least worst answer choice, but in my experience doing Verbal questions, it seems like the answer choices with the word "significantly" aren't treated as vague but more to dissolve the confusion between comparison. Although everyone's definition of significant in real world situations is different, on test questions it means it's enough to make an impact.
Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Dec 2015, 12:12
not the first time when I say it, but Solve the paradox is one of my favorite type of questions on CR.

62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves Democrats. Despite this, for the past 3 elections, the citizens of state W have voted a Republican into the office as governor.

ok, so 62% of voters are D.
nevertheless, last 3 E -> republicans won.

how come so?

well, if to pre-think, it might be the case that voters who declared themselves democrats did not vote.

moreover, for paradox type of questions, we can use the below formula:

Because -correct answer choice-, Republicans won, while 62% of registered voters are Democrats.

A) Approximately 78% of the rural residents of state W decalred themselves republicans, as compared with 38% of the urban residents.
irrelevant. we are told that 62% of all voters in the state are democrats. so it is all together rural+urban. thus, out.

B) State elections consist of a primary election in which voters must vote for a candidate matching their declared party followed by a general election in which voters can vote for a candidate of any party.
well, this is confusing. state elections - first vote for candidate matching declared party, but then there is general election, in which people can vote for candidates of any party.
but we are interested in elections for governor. what does this all have to do with state/general election? suspect, but let's check other answer choices.

C) Over the past 5 elections, the percentage of declared republicans who voted was significantly higher than the percentage of declared democrate who voted.
aha, so if more republicans than democrats actually voted, then the triumph of the republican candidates is thus explained. this one looks better than suspicious B, so B can be eliminated.

D) Voters must declare a party of preference more than thirty days before the state' primary election, and voters with no declared preference are ineligible to vote in the primary.
this one is irrelevant, as it does not help to explain the discrepancy.

E) The state's last democratic governor was initially very popular but lost his bid for re-election after the state's economy suffered a severe recession.
last democratic governor - well, from the beginning out. it does not explain the discrepancy.

few more words on C.
suppose we have 1000 voters, 620 of the voters are democrats, 380 are republicans. if during the elections participated only 310 democrats while 380 republicans, then democrats have no way to win the elections. since we are told that out of the people who actually voted were more republicans, it means that not all the registered democrats actually voted.
C so far is the best answer.
Retired Moderator
S
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2016, 04:25
62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves Democrats. Despite this, for the past 3 elections, the citizens of state W have voted a Republican into the office as governor.

Which of the following if true,could best explain this apparent incongruity in the results of the past 3 elections in state W?

A) Approximately 78% of the rural residents of state W declared themselves republicans, as compared with 38% of the urban residents................rural urban difference is not mentioned in the argument and just declaration wont explain the paradox.

B) State elections consist of a primary election in which voters must vote for a candidate matching their declared party followed by a general election in which voters can vote for a candidate of any party.............This explains a general process and we have no info to say that this procedure affected the election results in any possible manner.

C) Over the past 5 elections, the percentage of declared republicans who voted was significantly higher than the percentage of declared democrate who voted............This catches the glitch. declarations do not ensure votes. How can we forget that there was almost never 100% voting done in any election result. :roll:

D) Voters must declare a party of preference more than thirty days before the state' primary election, and voters with no declared preference are ineligible to vote in the primary..............This explains a general process and we have no info to say that this procedure affected the election results in any possible manner. same as B

E) The state's last democratic governor was initially very popular but lost his bid for re-election after the state's economy suffered a severe recession.................This is tempting but does not explain the paradox result for 3 elections.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2016, 00:13
Let's assume that the total population is 100.. 62 Democrats and 38 Republicans.
Now let's say 100% Repulican voted.. total votes 38
and only 75% of Democrats did.. total democrats vote 46 which is still higher
Please provide an explanation for C.
Non-Human User

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2018, 06:47
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: 62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2018, 06:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 26 posts ] 

62% of the registered voters in state W declared themselves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics