GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 16:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

650 to 700

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V31
GPA: 3.2
650 to 700  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 18:20
Hi Everyone,

I am on my second attempt at taking the GMAT. I took the GMAT originally in January 2018, and scored well below my expected score of 590. I realized I was well underprepared, and work commitments caused me to not study enough prior to the exam. Since then, I have signed up and been using the Economist GMAT Preparation software.

My last 3 CAT exams have been as follows:

680 Q46 V37
650 Q44 V35
650 Q44 V35

These exams were taken off of the Manhattan Prep site, which I still had some practice exams left over from January. At this point I feel stuck in where to go from here. I have completed most of the Economist GMAT Prep course, and I feel that I am stuck on the 650 range. My target date to write the exam is at the end of July, because I have personal commitments and vacations in August / September.

Individually (in other tests not posted here) I have scored as high as Q49 and V39 although on separate occasions. I therefore feel that with the right approach, I am capable of getting to my target score of 700. However, I feel stuck on this 650 score and do not quite know what to do to improve. Any advice or tips on how to get over this last 50 point hurdle is much appreciated. Any resources you used to help understand topics in a different way is much appreciated too.

My approach is as follows:

1) Continue to do weekly practice exams every Saturday morning (same time I plan to write my test) for the next 2-3 weeks
2) Use Economist GMAT prep to solidify concepts I struggle with
3) Use OG guide to offer a new set of questions I have not seen before and review those in the next 3 weeks prior to writing.

Thanks!
Anton
Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesOptimus Prep Discount Codes
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: 650 to 700  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 20:43
Hi AntonYatsenko,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, these 3 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 650 +/- a few points).

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix '). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 14:20
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi AntonYatsenko,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how your CATs function, these 3 CAT score results show that you essentially performed the same each time (about 650 +/- a few points).

"Review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix '). As such, I'd like to know a bit more about your last CAT. While a full Mistake Tracker would provide a lot more information, there are some basic questions that you should be able to answer (and the more EXACT you can be with your answers, the better):

After reviewing each section of this recent CAT, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?
5) How many Verbal questions did you 'narrow down to 2 choices' but still get wrong?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thank you for quickly replying. Here is my breakdown:

1) 7
2) 7
3) 5
4) 0 - I seem to have my timing down quite well when it comes to questions.
5) 8

Curious to know what these statistics mean in comparison to my target goal.

Regards,
Anton
VP
VP
V
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GMAT 1: 480 Q38 V22
GPA: 3.01
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 10:57
AntonYatsenko wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am on my second attempt at taking the GMAT. I took the GMAT originally in January 2018, and scored well below my expected score of 590. I realized I was well underprepared, and work commitments caused me to not study enough prior to the exam. Since then, I have signed up and been using the Economist GMAT Preparation software.

My last 3 CAT exams have been as follows:

680 Q46 V37
650 Q44 V35
650 Q44 V35

These exams were taken off of the Manhattan Prep site, which I still had some practice exams left over from January. At this point I feel stuck in where to go from here. I have completed most of the Economist GMAT Prep course, and I feel that I am stuck on the 650 range. My target date to write the exam is at the end of July, because I have personal commitments and vacations in August / September.

Individually (in other tests not posted here) I have scored as high as Q49 and V39 although on separate occasions. I therefore feel that with the right approach, I am capable of getting to my target score of 700. However, I feel stuck on this 650 score and do not quite know what to do to improve. Any advice or tips on how to get over this last 50 point hurdle is much appreciated. Any resources you used to help understand topics in a different way is much appreciated too.

My approach is as follows:

1) Continue to do weekly practice exams every Saturday morning (same time I plan to write my test) for the next 2-3 weeks
2) Use Economist GMAT prep to solidify concepts I struggle with
3) Use OG guide to offer a new set of questions I have not seen before and review those in the next 3 weeks prior to writing.

Thanks!
Anton

Hi,

These links may help you:

1. https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-definiti ... 69705.html

2. https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ret ... ml?fl=menu

Akshdeep

"Do not watch clock; Do what it does. KEEP GOING."

Target Test Prep Representative
P
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 11:26
Hi AntonYatsenko,

I’m glad you reached out and I’m happy to help. So, while your practice test scores are pretty solid, it will take some serious prep to bring your score up to 700+. To increase your quant and verbal scores to a more advanced level, you need to study each topic "with a fine-toothed comb" to determine your exact weaknesses.

For example, if you are reviewing Number Properties, be sure that you practice 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. Once complete, do a thorough analysis of each incorrect question. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By properly analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to more efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant knowledge. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant and verbal topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

In the case of verbal, let’s say you are reviewing Critical Reasoning. Be sure that you practice a large number of questions just from that topic: strengthen and weaken the argument, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Once complete, do a thorough analysis of each incorrect question. If you got a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific CR question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? Again, you must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When you do dozens of the same type of question one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of the questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to at least around 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently.

The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

In order to follow the path described above, you may need some new verbal and quant materials, so take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the[url=https://gmatclub.com/reviews/highest-rated-gmat-courses/best-for-quant-4
]best quant[/url] and verbal courses.

You also may find it helpful to read my article for more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 20:38
Hi AntonYatsenko,

If you truly are getting that many questions wrong because of silly/little mistakes, then THAT is the issue that you need to focus on. There are only 67 total questions between the Quant and Verbal sections (and some of them are 'Experimental' - meaning that they do NOT count). With 7 silly mistakes, you're missing over 10% of the questions - and these are questions that you SHOULD be getting correct. Those points would almost certainly be enough to get you to your Score Goal. It could be that you can 'fix' that issue on your own and be just fine. However, if "your way" of approaching the overall Exam is what's leading to all of these little mistakes, then you will have to train to "see" (and respond to) the overall Exam in different ways (re: ways that will keep you from making those little mistakes in the first place) - and that could take you more time than you have allotted.

1) What Overall Score (and Quant/Verbal Score 'breakdown') would you be satisfied with (meaning that you would stop studying and apply with that Score)?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
3) Do you have the flexibility to push back your Test Date (even if it's just for a few weeks)?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 10:41
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi AntonYatsenko,

If you truly are getting that many questions wrong because of silly/little mistakes, then THAT is the issue that you need to focus on. There are only 67 total questions between the Quant and Verbal sections (and some of them are 'Experimental' - meaning that they do NOT count). With 7 silly mistakes, you're missing over 10% of the questions - and these are questions that you SHOULD be getting correct. Those points would almost certainly be enough to get you to your Score Goal. It could be that you can 'fix' that issue on your own and be just fine. However, if "your way" of approaching the overall Exam is what's leading to all of these little mistakes, then you will have to train to "see" (and respond to) the overall Exam in different ways (re: ways that will keep you from making those little mistakes in the first place) - and that could take you more time than you have allotted.

1) What Overall Score (and Quant/Verbal Score 'breakdown') would you be satisfied with (meaning that you would stop studying and apply with that Score)?
2) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?
3) Do you have the flexibility to push back your Test Date (even if it's just for a few weeks)?

Rich

Hi Rich,

Once again, I appreciate your prompt replies and support through this journey of mine. Do you have any tips or resources available to help with this mistake. I will be honest, I have never done a full reflect of an exam until you asked me, and summarized how many questions I have gotten wrong based on various errors. I feel I have a solid grasp on most concepts, so I feel you are onto something with the careless mistakes being my weakness.

My goal is a 700 Q49 V37 / Q48 V38 but I think I would settle for a 680 for my business school needs.
2) I think I will be able to dedicate 20 hours per week. 2 - 3 per day + 4-5 per weekend day.
3) Yes I do - since your initial reply and available test dates that meet my requirements I have kicked out my exam to August 29th. This gives me a solid 6 weeks to improve my skills, which I am hoping will significantly elevate my score.

Regards,
Anton
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 10:46
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi AntonYatsenko,

I’m glad you reached out and I’m happy to help. So, while your practice test scores are pretty solid, it will take some serious prep to bring your score up to 700+. To increase your quant and verbal scores to a more advanced level, you need to study each topic "with a fine-toothed comb" to determine your exact weaknesses.

For example, if you are reviewing Number Properties, be sure that you practice 50 or more questions just from Number Properties: LCM, GCF, units digit patterns, divisibility, remainders, etc. Once complete, do a thorough analysis of each incorrect question. If you got a remainder question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not properly apply the remainder formula? Was there a concept you did not understand in the question? By properly analyzing your mistakes, you will be able to more efficiently fix your weaknesses and in turn improve your GMAT quant knowledge. Number Properties is just one example; follow this process for all quant and verbal topics.

Each time you strengthen your understanding of a topic and your skill in answering questions of a particular type, you increase your odds of hitting your score goal. You know that there are types of questions that you are happy to see and types that you would rather not see, and questions that you take a long time to answer correctly. Learn to more effectively answer the types of questions that you would rather not see, and make them into your favorite types. Learn to correctly answer in two minutes or less questions that you currently take five minutes to answer. By finding, say, a dozen weaker quant areas and turning them into strong areas, you will make great progress toward hitting your quant score goal. If a dozen areas turn out not to be enough, strengthen some more areas.

In the case of verbal, let’s say you are reviewing Critical Reasoning. Be sure that you practice a large number of questions just from that topic: strengthen and weaken the argument, resolve the paradox, find the conclusion, must be true, etc. Once complete, do a thorough analysis of each incorrect question. If you got a weakening question wrong, ask yourself why you got it wrong. Did you make a careless mistake? Did you not recognize the specific CR question type? Were you doing too much analysis in your head? Did you skip over a keyword in an answer choice? Again, you must thoroughly analyze your mistakes and seek to turn weaknesses into strengths by focusing on the question types you dread seeing and the questions you take a long time to answer correctly.

When you do dozens of the same type of question one after the other, you learn just what it takes to get questions of that type correct consistently. If you aren't getting close to 90 percent of the questions of a certain type correct, go back and seek to better understand how that type of question works, and then do more questions of that type until you get to at least around 90 percent accuracy in your training. If you get 100 percent of some sets correct, even better.

So, work on accuracy and generally finding correct answers, work on specific weaker areas one by one to make them strong areas, and when you take a practice GMAT or the real thing, take all the time per question available to do your absolute best to get right answers consistently.

The GMAT is essentially a game of seeing how many right answers you can get in the time allotted. Approach the test with that conception in mind, and focus intently on the question in front of you with one goal in mind: getting a CORRECT answer.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Good luck!

Thanks Scott!

I'm seeing a common theme here. Do you recommend any tracking spreadsheets for self reflection, or is internal reflection sufficient? I am asking from the aspect that tracking everything in a spreadsheet would be more time consuming, but I am willing to do it if it would be beneficial. Curious to know what you you have seen from your experience.
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 18:23
Hi AntonYatsenko,

With 6 weeks of study time, you could potentially improve a great deal (in both the Quant and Verbal sections). Based on your practice CAT Scores, I think that you probably know the 'content' of the GMAT just fine, so with that remaining time, you could focus more on learning and practice the proper Tactics. You have the potential to pick up some serious points in BOTH Quant and Verbal (in addition to picking up points from simply eliminating the little mistakes from your work.

If you would prefer to just focus on eliminating the little mistakes that you're currently making, here's a simple way to measure whether you're taking the proper notes or each question or not: if you handed your work pad to another person, would that person understand all of the information that you were given in the prompt, the question that you were trying to answer and the 'steps' that you had worked through? If the answer to any of those questions is 'no', then you have NOT taken enough notes. After reviewing all of those questions, if you can honestly say that you have the ability to answer most of them correctly - then your "process" is the issue. What WORK (on the pad!) are you willing to do to make sure that you get those points? Most of the questions on the GMAT are actually fairly straight-forward: you have to organize some information, think about everything you've been given, work through a few 'steps' and confirm that you are actually answering the question that is ASKED. I think you have the intelligence and ability to score well into the 700s - and I'm almost certain that you're not currently doing enough physical work right now to EARN those points.

If you would like to maximize the value of your study time, then I think that you would find the EMPOWERgmat Total Score Booster to be quite helpful (as it would provide the Tactical lessons and practice that you could use to hone your skills). Most of our clients complete that Study Plan in well under 2 months, so you would have the opportunity to work through most - if not all - of the material. We have a variety of free resources on our site (www.empowergmat.com), so you can 'test out' the Course before setting up an Account.

If you have any additional questions, then you can feel free to contact me directly.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
V
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2018, 01:39
Hi Anton,

If you aim at scoring 700, a good mix of 700 is Q49 and V35. If you do better on verbal, you quant score can be lower than 49.
Since we are specialized in math, we can give you advice on math only.
First, ​GMAC prep tests are reliable but other test prep scores can vary as the logic of scoring is not exactly same as GMAC, so don't soly rely on test prep scores.
Based on your CAT scores, it seems like you have a decent understanding of basics but you need an extra push to tackle 700+ level questions.

In order to hit a high score(Q49-51) in quant, you need to understand the logic of GMAT Math as it is not a general math test.
That is, you need to learn the logic to tackle GMAT questions.
You can still solve GMAT questions with the conventional method.
If you aim to hit a high score ​(Q49-51) on ​quant, the conventional method is time-consuming and tends to be inefficient.
You may hit Q45 or above with the conventional way, but it is difficult or takes very long to study until you hit Q49-51.
​ ​
Since your current score shows that your basic math skills are sold, we recommend you learn our Variable approach for DS, especially CMT (Common Mistake Type 3,4) questions determining a score of Q49-51. That's unique, short-cut and significant time-saving approaches

​The other thing you should remember is the importance of practicing the most current GMAT questions.
​Not many preps are updating new GMAT questions every year. A number of questions you get to practice​ online tend to be out-of-date and they ​might ​not ​be ​that relevant to the current type​s​ of GMAT questions. If you are not used to the current type​s​ of questions, this could also be a reason to why your score is not improving.
However, all the questions you get to practi​ce​ from our online course are developed based on the current type of GMAT questions.

Most importantly, we can help you with the two key factors if you want to succeed in GMAT,
You may try our Free Resources including 4-hour video lesson, Diagnostic Test and Mock Test.
​www.mathrevolution.com ​

In addition, please refer to our GMAT Club posts to find more about our strategies: Link

If you have any further question, you can always reach out to us at info@mathrevolution.com

Best regards,

Jin
Math Revolution

MathRevolution: Finish GMAT Quant Section with 10 minutes to spare
The one-and-only World’s First Variable Approach for DS and IVY Approach for PS with ease, speed and accuracy.
"Only $99 for 3 month Online Course"
"Free Resources-30 day online access & Diagnostic Test"
"Unlimited Access to over 120 free video lessons - try it yourself"

GMAT Club Bot
Re: 650 to 700 &nbs [#permalink] 20 Jul 2018, 01:39

650 to 700

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap