Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 823
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: 660. Not there yet but not giving up and neither should you. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi tuttifrutti453,

It is good to see that you are determined to reach your target score. I also see a lot of clarity in your plan which is again very good. 5th time has been the charm for a lot of GMAT takers. I am sharing a couple of such stories with you. You may find them useful in creating your own plan.
    • Prawee (550 to 740) used all the books and local coaching classes but was unable to improve her GMAT score beyond a certain point. She changed her approach and finally scored 740 in her 5th attempt and got a $180,000 fellowship cumulatively from 3 top business schools. She is currently pursuing MBA from Kellogg. There was a time when Kellogg was not even on her radar. Click here to watch her interview.
    • Rohit Bansal scored a 740 (Q51 V40) in his fifth attempt which allowed him to secure admits from Kellogg, ISB and interview calls from Tepper as well as UCLA. Click here to watch his amazing video debrief.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to write to us at support@e-gmat.com in case you need any further help.

Regards,
Aditee
Intern
Intern
Send PM
660. Not there yet but not giving up and neither should you. [#permalink]
Thank you very much @egmat/Aditee, I'll listen to these testimonies asap and won't hesitate to reach out.

In terms of quant, I'm uploading an attachment of the Best and Worst results of the GMATClub Test section (hope that's ok!) It might make more sense to exclusively practice questions on each topic (starting from the weakest) instead of approaching this retake in a more holistic way.
Attachments

bw.jpg
bw.jpg [ 115.34 KiB | Viewed 1580 times ]

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi tuttifrutti453,

To start, your 700/Q45 is a fantastic Score (it's just a bit shy of the 90th percentile), so you could comfortably apply to just about any Schools that interest you. As such, a retest might not be necessary. You would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

If you are certain that you want to rest, then here are some ideas to keep in mind. As a general rule, "review" is an exceptionally important part of the GMAT training process; your ability to define WHY you're getting questions wrong is essential to defining the areas that you need to work on (and the specific things that you need to 'fix'). If you were not completing a Mistake Tracker/Error Log after taking each CAT - and not focusing on learning and practicing the Tactics that you were presented, then that would help to explain why you have not hit your Score Goal yet.

The GMAT is a remarkably consistent and predictable Exam, but it does not sound as if you were properly focused on taking advantage of those consistencies. To hit your Score Goal, you cannot afford to 'wing it' through the Verbal section. Everything that you'll see in the Verbal section is predictable - the tricky part about the Verbal overall is that Verbal questions do not have a 'safety net' - meaning that if you make a little mistake on a Verbal question, you won't realize it (you'll just convince yourself that one of the wrong answers is correct). Thus, you really have to train to spot (and take advantage of) all of the patterns that appear in the Verbal section and you have to get good at taking consistent, organized notes. The Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test' - it's a 'critical thinking test' that requires lots of little calculations as you work through it. To score at a much higher level in this section, you need to become more of a 'strategist' and less of a 'mathematician.'

All things considered, you're actually closer to a 730+ than you probably realize - and you could potentially retest in 1-2 months and hit your Score Goal. To reiterate the prior point though - regardless of which study materials you use, you have to be focused on making the necessary changes to how you "see" (and respond to) the Exam.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22038 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi tuttifurtti453,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help.

So your plan seems pretty solid. Since verbal is your biggest weaknesses you need to follow a verbal study plan that allows you to learning linearly so that you are first learning each topic and second engaging in focused practice to ensure mastery. From what I’ve read, it seems as though you plan to follow that type of plan.

Regarding quant, since you most recently scored a Q47, it’s clear that you have a pretty high proficiency of GMAT quant. So to improve your quant score go through GMAT quant carefully to find your exact weaknesses, fill gaps in your knowledge, and strengthen your skills. The overall process will be to learn all about how to answer question types with which you currently aren't very comfortable and do dozens of practice questions category by category, basically driving up your score point by point.

If you’d like some more detailed advice of how to study for both quant and verbal, feel free to reach back out, and I’d be happy to help.

Also, you may find it helpful to read the following articles about how to learn more, learn faster, and retain more knowledge while prepping for the GMAT and how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks for posting! I like seeing people that haven't given up! I'm about to take my second actual GMAT test and am freaking out a bit about it. I'm glad to see that you've taken it a few times and have a strategy for next time. I might steal some of these ideas if Saturday doesn't go well ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
Your verbal is very good
Should work on maths
One little trick : repeat official Prep 1,2 Q section again and again till you reach 51 ..remember , when you see old questions , don’t click on the known- answers ... try to solve every single one of them each Time

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Asianyc wrote:
Your verbal is very good
Should work on maths
One little trick : repeat official Prep 1,2 Q section again and again till you reach 51 ..remember , when you see old questions , don’t click on the known- answers ... try to solve every single one of them each Time

Hi Asianyc,

Thank you for replying! I feel like I can bump my score up faster by focusing on verbal right now and pick up some easy points. Quant is a bit trickier but my plan for now is to go over the topics I’m weaker at, then practice. But instead of practicing the way I’ve been doing until now, I’m focusing on approaching each question using logic first, then solving and comparing my approach with the approaches of gmatclub members (especially Bunuel.) I’ll also be reviewing my error logs on a very consistent basis so hopefully that’ll do the trick!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
leftfootlucy wrote:
Thanks for posting! I like seeing people that haven't given up! I'm about to take my second actual GMAT test and am freaking out a bit about it. I'm glad to see that you've taken it a few times and have a strategy for next time. I might steal some of these ideas if Saturday doesn't go well ;)

Thank you! Giving up is not an option and scoring high on the GMAT is hard, otherwise everybody would have done it! I’ve honestly learned so much about myself in the process so I’m really thankful because it has truly been a humbling experience.

leftfootlucy, keep going, you’ve got this. Future you will be so thankful that present you never gave up and always kept her eye on the prize. Please share your results once you take the exam!

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts