Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 18
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3670 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Re: 710 but Low IR Score...Is it worth Retaking ONLY for IR? [#permalink]
Kudos
I have the same problem: IR 7 (83%) in the first attempt but only 3 (23%) in the second one. In fact I did not practice any IR between 2 attempts and failed to manage the timing in the second one, but still, I think questions are very fluctuating and this section is in the experimental stage, hence, it might still have some miscalculation. In my case I decided not to retake.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Prashant, sorry for my slow response to your PM! I don't think you should worry about a retake at all, especially since you're applying to part-time MBA programs. The IR section really isn't all that important in admissions yet, and I don't think that anybody is getting rejected for a low IR score... at least not yet. IR may or may not become a significant factor in full-time admissions over the next couple of years, but for now, you have absolutely nothing to worry about with regard to a part-time MBA application.

It sounds like you have a perfectly solid application, but if you somehow get rejected this fall, it won't be because of the IR score. So relax and enjoy your freedom from the GMAT!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
And while I'm here... TamDuongVN, did you really improve from a 550 to a 740?!? That's incredible! Where's your debrief? Whatever you did, you deserve some serious credit, and I have a feeling that plenty of other members would love to hear about your experience. Congratulations!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
And while I'm here... TamDuongVN, did you really improve from a 550 to a 740?!? That's incredible! Where's your debrief? Whatever you did, you deserve some serious credit, and I have a feeling that plenty of other members would love to hear about your experience. Congratulations!

Thanks GMATNinja. I have already wrote my debrief, but could not upload it as I haven’t got yet 5 posts to create my own. This one is the fourth :-D hope to share it today.
Intern
Intern
GMATNinja wrote:
Prashant, sorry for my slow response to your PM! I don't think you should worry about a retake at all, especially since you're applying to part-time MBA programs. The IR section really isn't all that important in admissions yet, and I don't think that anybody is getting rejected for a low IR score... at least not yet. IR may or may not become a significant factor in full-time admissions over the next couple of years, but for now, you have absolutely nothing to worry about with regard to a part-time MBA application.

It sounds like you have a perfectly solid application, but if you somehow get rejected this fall, it won't be because of the IR score. So relax and enjoy your freedom from the GMAT!

Thanks for your advice GMATNinja! It helped relieve some stress caused out of IR...I'll now focus on strengthening my application/profile.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Prashant750 wrote:
Need advice from experts please:-

I gave my GMAT on 25-MAR-2013 and scored 710 (Q50 V35). However I received the full score report yesterday with disappointing IR score (IR-2 with 12 percentile). In my earlier attempt I had scored 670 (Q49 V32) with IR5. I am planning to apply UC Berkeley Haas Part-time/evening MBA (Round1-OCT 2013). I am okay with 710 GMAT score (avg score for Haars Part-time MBA is 692), however I am much worried due to poor IR score. Will such low IR score risk my application/admission chance? Is it worth taking GMAT exam again ONLY to improve IR score? Please advice.

Background:
Indian male with 11 years of IT experience including 4 years of Managerial experience. Working in reputed high-tech company in California since 6 years.
Education: BE in computer science with first class from top college from Mumbai university.

Hi Prashant750, I can understand why you're a little worried about the low IR score, but you're covered pretty well here. The IR is less than a year old so it's really not the most important facet of the GMAT, and you already took the exam before and scored a 5, so the section obviously isn't a huge weakness for you. You should be good to go with your current scores, no need for a retake.

Best of luck!
-Ron
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Prashant750 wrote:
Need advice from experts please:-

I gave my GMAT on 25-MAR-2013 and scored 710 (Q50 V35). However I received the full score report yesterday with disappointing IR score (IR-2 with 12 percentile). In my earlier attempt I had scored 670 (Q49 V32) with IR5. I am planning to apply UC Berkeley Haas Part-time/evening MBA (Round1-OCT 2013). I am okay with 710 GMAT score (avg score for Haars Part-time MBA is 692), however I am much worried due to poor IR score. Will such low IR score risk my application/admission chance? Is it worth taking GMAT exam again ONLY to improve IR score? Please advice.

Background:
Indian male with 11 years of IT experience including 4 years of Managerial experience. Working in reputed high-tech company in California since 6 years.
Education: BE in computer science with first class from top college from Mumbai university.

Responding to a pm:

Considering that you have already got enough advice, I was wondering whether I should put in mine too! I did because I wanted to point out one thing:

IR is new and its forecasting capabilities are not established yet. Hence weightage given to IR will be very little. Also, because of your 11 yr work-ex, GMAT is just an initial filter for you - something that tells them that you can handle the rigors of B-School (which your Q50 proves beyond doubt). What the adcom will actually be interested in is what you have done in your work life. With part time MBA, anyway, the focus is work-ex, not so much academics. So think about what you have done in the last 11 yrs of work and what you plan to do in the next 35 after B-School.
Intern
Intern
Thank you Ron, Karishma, GMAT Ninja, GMATpill, TamDuongVN & Rakesh for taking time to provide your valuable inputs/advice. I have decided not to give GMAT again. I will take your advice to focus all my energy to prepare a really strong application. As I have 6 months to prepare the application, I will plan to take up some coursework and extracurricular activities to mitigate this IR risk or any other weaknesses. Thanks again for your advice!
GMAT Club Bot