GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 15:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

710 to 770 in 2 weeks

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
Reviews Badge
710 to 770 in 2 weeks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Mar 2018, 08:30
Second stab at the gmat and I managed to improve my score 60 points in 2 weeks. From q47v41 to q49v47, total 770. I am very happy with my result!!

What made the difference?
1) I did a lot more math prep using the hard questions on gmat club. This meant I had much more fluidity with the concepts being tested and more familiarity with the question types (I'm 31 and haven't done any math for a long time). This meant I was much more relaxed on test day
2) I redid all the hard verbal questions from the OG guide. There aren't many good sources of 700+ level verbal questions. I really examined where and why I was going wrong and had a better understanding of how to answer the questions.
3) I did the verbal first, when I was more relaxed and fresher due to not taxing or stressing myself with the quant
4) I did the exam at 2pm, so had had 6hrs sleep instead of 4. I'm not a morning person and don't normally get up early so a 9am exam was not ideal for me at all
5) I did 3 practise tests to try and get myself used to the time pressure on quant and increase my mental stamina
6) I finished verbal 8 minutes early and instead of going directly to my break I sat and relaxed (before clicking to submit my final answer). That means I had a 16min break between verbal and quant
7) I the exam in a different test center that was generally better (Apricot towers, Dubai)
8) I think I got bit lucky on the questions this time around. 770 was the best I'd done on any mock test, and that was a repeat of an OG test. I wasn't really expecting anything higher than 760
9) Error logs. It is so important to do this. You need to know what you're doing wrong in order to improve. A lot of my quant mistakes were classic cases of forgetting that variables could be zero or even the same, and I made sure to correct this, and approached every DS involving unknown variables with the 4 horsemen - could be same, could be zero, could be negative, could be non-integer. I also noticed that I had a tendency to skim the questions and misread them and made sure to take more time reading the questions
10) Extra time on RC - as a native speaker and very fast reader, I had a tendency to zip through the RC passages and dive into the questions too soon. I allowed myself extra time on RC this time, as I knew I would finish verbal early anyway (I still finished 8mins early despite trying not to) This time I read every paragraph twice, and then re-read the passage from start to finish, before going on to the questions. It's important not to freak out about taking time on RC questions.
11) Unfortunately I missed the final quant question by seconds - again. I would say if there is 30 seconds left on the clock, stop trying to solve this last question - just submit an answer. Goes for verbal too. Both times I thought I could get the right answer in time and ended up missing the question entirely which produces a significant ding.

I should note that my first verbal score, v41, was not representative of my actual ability in this section, because I was so tired and freaked out from the quant. I "should" have got a v42-44 the first time, so I don't have any magic tip to boost your verbal score by 6 in 2 weeks

My total prep time was 7 weeks for first exam, 9 weeks for second. 80-90% of study hours were spent on quant. I had to put in a lot of time because I was so unfamiliar with the maths (either it was new, or massively rusty). Total study time was probably around 180-200 hrs, and I'd certainly recommend any "oldie" to allow more time than average.

Originally posted by tinyinthedesert on 15 Mar 2018, 07:52.
Last edited by tinyinthedesert on 18 Mar 2018, 08:30, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: AB, cum laude, Harvard University (Class of '02)
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q168 V169
WE: Education (Education)
Re: 710 to 770 in 2 weeks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Mar 2018, 17:01
Top Contributor
Hi again tinyinthedesert ,

Congrats on the improvement, and welcome to the 99% club! I would love to see your ESRs, if you choose to order ($25 each) and share them with the community. Also, you might want to verify your scores here on GMAT Club.

Unfortunately, since you didn't verify your 710 before retaking, it will be overwritten by the 770 (once the 770 becomes official) and thus will be impossible to verify using GMAT Club's proprietary score verification system. However, if you act quickly, then you should also be able to verify the 710 before your 770 score becomes official 72 hours after the test!

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

GMAT Action Plan and Free E-Book - McElroy Tutoring

Contact: mcelroy@post.harvard.edu (I do not respond to PMs on GMAT Club.)

...or find me on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/GMATpreparation

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 15 Mar 2018, 08:22.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 15 Mar 2018, 17:01, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Mar 2018, 10:10
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Hi again tinyinthedesert ,

Congrats on the improvement, and welcome to the 99% club! I would love to see your ESRs, if you choose to order ($25 each) and share them with the community.

-Brian

I wasn't planning on ordering them...what do they really tell you? The level of the questions? I can tell you now that I think get more 700+ questions right but less 500/600 level questions right than typical for a q49 scorer, and that I'm pretty bad at inequalities. I also think I don't score as high in the first set of 10 as other scorers of a similar level. Both times I missed submitting an answer for the last question by seconds.

To me, the results show that luck does play a significant aspect in scores. The first time, I had an absolute nightmare in the quant, guessed loads, but still got a q47 - higher than I actually expected - clearly made some lucky guesses. Yet my verbal score was significantly lower than I'd expected. The second time, I think I got lucky with my verbal questions, as v47 is at the top of my range.

This also plays out in my IR - a decent 8 the first time and a sub par 6 today - lower than ANY mock I've done, and I really wasn't expecting a low score here because I'd found the questions fine and finished on time. I think I was lucky the first time and got the dummy questions wrong, and unlucky the second time

Originally posted by tinyinthedesert on 15 Mar 2018, 08:44.
Last edited by tinyinthedesert on 15 Mar 2018, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 09:28
You have given me hope. I also had a nightmarish Quant experience and am planning to rewrite in two weeks. I realized that I'm terrible at the basics but good at 700 level questions (I overcomplicate the easy questions and end up with "variable soup", as I call it :) Studying with Empower GMAT now and hoping for a miracle! Congrats on the amazing score.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 09:33
NathalieMathalie wrote:
You have given me hope. I also had a nightmarish Quant experience and am planning to rewrite in two weeks. I realized that I'm terrible at the basics but good at 700 level questions (I overcomplicate the easy questions and end up with "variable soup", as I call it :) Studying with Empower GMAT now and hoping for a miracle! Congrats on the amazing score.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Yeah, you need to be good at the basics to get to the 700 level questions!

Try not to let your first experience cloud the second. It's very easy to get stressed in the GMAT. Can't comment on Empower but GMATclub quant questions are excellent
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Mar 2018, 17:13
Top Contributor
Are you sure you got a 9 on the IR the first time? The maximum score is an 8. I wouldn't worry about the 6 on the second try--the IR section isn't super-important.

The ESR will provide plenty of test data: timing information, number of questions completed, where you got your questions wrong, percent correct (from which we can infer the precise number of incorrect questions) and how you performed on each type of question (SC, CR, RC, DS, and PS), along with sub-scores for each sub-section. For the IR section, it will show you the percent you answered correctly.

I will definitely agree that there is a healthy dose of luck involved every time you take the GMAT. I find that my own scores (and those of my students) tend to range about 30-40 points in either direction from the average composite score, and that Quant and Verbal scores tend to vary about 3 points in either direction. This is especially true when the experimental ("pretest") questions are taken into account.

-Brian

Harvard grad and 99% GMAT scorer, offering expert, private GMAT tutoring and coaching, both in-person (San Diego, CA, USA) and online worldwide, since 2002.

One of the only known humans to have taken the GMAT 5 times and scored in the 700s every time (700, 710, 730, 750, 770), including verified section scores of Q50 / V47, as well as personal bests of 8/8 IR (2 times), 6/6 AWA (4 times), 50/51Q and 48/51V (1 question wrong).

You can download my official test-taker score report (all scores within the last 5 years) directly from the Pearson Vue website: https://tinyurl.com/y94hlarr Date of Birth: 09 December 1979.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 15 Mar 2018, 09:52.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 15 Mar 2018, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 10:10
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Are you sure you got a 9 on the IR the first time? The maximum score is an 8.

-Brian

oh yeah, 8 indeed :lol: I think I got lucky with that mark, in total honesty - I was so spaced out by the IR section and seriously flagging

Today's score breakdown is exactly the same as my last official mock, for which I got 11 quant incorrect, and 3 verbal. However I did complete the mock, and I didn't complete the last quant question of the exam, so i could have done a bit better overall and then got dinged for the missed last question, as I think incomplete penalises you more than incorrect. Guess I could order it to see how much skipping the final question "costs" you.

I think 3 OR 4 wrong in verbal can result in a v47, depending on if you get 4 hard wrong or 2 hard 1 easier. Either way, if you want to score high in verbal there is very little margin for error, and one extra incorrect verbal question will impact the overall score far more than quant. No room for careless mistakes on verbal.

I am generally pretty consistent across SC, CR and RC. My 3 wrong in the mock were one of each and I'd expect similar results today - if I got a 4th wrong it was probably SC
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 11:09
Top Contributor
Right. Keep in mind that on the actual test 1 out of 4 questions don't count (25.6% pretest questions), as opposed to the GMATPrep tests, where every question counts, so you probably got closer to 2 wrong on Verbal and around 4-7 wrong on Quant, out of the 58 counted questions. V47 is an amazing score that few test-takers are ever able to reach, which is a big part of what helped propel you to that 770!

We won't know for sure unless you order the ESR, but V47 lines up relatively consistently with 2 counted questions wrong, albeit with a small sample size given how high/rare the score is: https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-v46-to-v47-to-v40-to-v42-my-gmat-verbal-journey-with-esrs-254776.html

Manager
Manager
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 14:58
If v47 is two wrong and v51 is none wrong then how do people score 48, 49 and 50? Quite a spread of scores for the same number of wrong questions (ie. 1)? I suspect the "test" questions do count...! I'll order the ESR I guess since v47 is so rare

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]GMAT Club Forum mobile app[/url]
Director
Director
G
710 to 770 in 2 weeks  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2018, 16:14
Top Contributor
tinyinthedesert wrote:
If v47 is two wrong and v51 is none wrong then how do people score 48, 49 and 50? Quite a spread of scores for the same number of wrong questions (ie. 1)? I suspect the "test" questions do count...! I'll order the ESR I guess since v47 is so rare

Typically, 0 wrong is a 51, 1 wrong is a 48 and 2 wrong is a 47, but it's certainly possible that you could also score a 47 with 3 wrong. I don't think that scores of V49 and V50 are (currently) possible. I know--it's a steep drop off!

GMAT Club Bot
710 to 770 in 2 weeks &nbs [#permalink] 15 Mar 2018, 16:14

710 to 770 in 2 weeks

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, EMPOWERgmatRichC, bb

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap