Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V50
GPA: 3.93
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 127 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: 790 (Q-51, V-50) [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
runitback wrote:
According to my unofficial score report, Q-51 was 98% though, so perhaps I missed a few questions here as well? Does anyone know whether Q-51 is no longer 99%?

Nice... that's correct. Q51 is 98th percentile.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
runitback wrote:
According to my unofficial score report, Q-51 was 98% though, so perhaps I missed a few questions here as well? Does anyone know whether Q-51 is no longer 99%?

now go hurry up and apply to some schools already ... congratulations on a great score..

cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.4
WE:Design (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Kudos
runitback wrote:

Cheer up, mate, the GMAT is a tough nut to crack. Admissions committees don't blink an eye at three or less tries, so you're not out of luck yet! I know that the thought of studying for another 2 months sounds suicidal right now, especially after giving it your all the first time and being rewarded with disappointment, but if you buckle down and work on your weaknesses I believe you can make a comeback as many forum members have.

Based on your OP, its obvious that quant is your weakness. I'd suggest using the OG quantitative booklet, go through it and answer every question. For questions that you get wrong, make sure you understand where you went wrong and how to do a similar problem correctly. The GMATPrep practice exams are also an invaluable tool, but remember that there are diminishing returns. After your second attempt on each they begin to lose predictive and practice value rapidly, so use your four tries wisely. I'd suggest 1 before you start studying, to see how it compares to your official first attempt, the second after the 1 month mark, the third with two weeks to go, and the final a day or two before your exam.

The key is to identify your weaknesses, admit that they're weaknesses, and work to make them strengths. The GMAT chain is only as good as its weakest link, unless of course the algorithm misses your weak links, which isn't really worth betting on. Take a few days to settle down and get away from the GMAT, then put this experience behind you, spit the bitter taste out of your mouth, and get back at it. Best of luck, friend, we believe in you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Hi again guys! Time for a debrief - I thought reading other debriefs was really helpful/inspiring while I was preparing (and a good way to put off any actual studying while still feeling productive), so here is mine :-D

I'm a pretty good standardized test taker so I want to put my thoughts in context by starting with the practice CATs that I took:

10/28: GMAT Prep 1 - 770 (Q-51, V-44)
11/30: MGMAT 1 - 780 (Q-51, V-45)
12/1: MGMAT 2 - 780 (Q-51, V-45)
12/4: MGMAT 3 - 780 (Q-51, V-45)
12/5: MGMAT 4 - 780 (Q-51, V-45)
12/6: MGMAT 5 - 780 (Q-51, V-45)
12/7: MGMAT 6 - 780 (Q-51, V-45)
12/8: GMAT Prep 2 - 780 (Q-51, V-47)

Studying

Looking back, my score progression looks pretty boring, but hopefully some of you will still find what I learned to be useful! On my first CAT (GMAT Prep 1), I missed a couple math questions (1 PS, 1 DS), and 3 verbal questions (all SC). Although I was really happy with my starting score, I could tell that I easily could have scored much lower, so I tried to build my study plan with the goal of lowering my variance.

I began by going straight through the OG12 questions, doing every problem in the book. I divided each of the 5 topics into 5 sections of equal length, and then I alternated between doing PS/RC/CR on one day and DS/SC on the next. Each problem that I missed, or had to guess on, I recorded in my error log. This process took about two weeks, with a few days of break around Thanksgiving (11/14-11/28).

At the same time I was going through OG12, I also picked up a copy of MGMAT SC Guide and started going through that as well. All of the good reviews that have been written about this book are true. I didn't complete all of the problem sets that it provides, but the information that the book contains is thorough and well-organized. If you can get through this whole book and really know everything that it covers, I think you will find that at least 90% of all SC problems will have clear answers. Between my 2nd and 3rd MGMAT CATs I wrote up some notes from the MGMAT SC book that I posted in the SC forum. It'll probably be most useful for native English speakers - I tried to include information that didn't come as naturally to me, so there might be some important omissions for anyone who's not a native speaker. You could still use it as a base to add on to though!

Practice Tests

After getting through OG12 and MGMAT SC, I decided to start taking CATs. Especially with the math section, doing a lot of problems can help you quickly pinpoint the areas that you struggle with, so I would recommend buying at least one of the MGMAT books just to get access to their 6 online CATs. For me, I quickly realized that absolute value and geometry, especially when presented as DS problems, gave me trouble, so I made sure to read the solutions for those types of problems very carefully. The solutions provided by MGMAT were very thorough for the most part, although some of the solutions given in the math sections were not very rigorous. Definitely skimming all solutions, and reading slowly the solutions for any problems that you were even unsure about.

As for the actual MGMAT CATs, previous posters had mentioned that tests 1 and 2 seemed to be much more difficult, while the later tests were easier, and I found that to be true as well. Although my overall scores and splits are the same on each of the MGMAT CATs, I missed anywhere between 0-4 math questions and 1-6 verbal questions on each test. Since it gave me the same scores each time, I think there might be reason to question the grading algorithm that MGMAT uses, but I felt that the problems were pretty representative of the type and difficulty of the actual GMAT, with the exception of the math sections in tests 1 and 2, which seemed to be much harder.

At the end of the line, I took the 2nd GMAT Prep CAT, which felt easier than the actual GMAT. I missed a few careless SC questions, which really served as a reminder that you need to make sure that you concentrate all the way until the end of the verbal section.

Random Thoughts

1. As I was studying, I was pretty much completely focused on improving in SC. By the time I actually took the GMAT, I felt that SC had become my strongest verbal section, and that I really could have used some structured study time on CR. As a general rule, I'd say that it's a good idea to focus on your weaknesses at first because that's where you'll see the most marginal improvement and be able to lower your test score variance the most, but don't be afraid to reevaluate later on and rebalance your study schedule. It's definitely possible for your strengths and weaknesses to have flipped by test day.

2. If you were pretty capable at math in school, don't spend too much time reviewing the concepts. Read through the review in OG12, then get started on practice problems. There is only so much material, and if you go through the GMAT Prep and MGMAT CATs, you'll encounter each problem type many times. Keep track of problems/concepts that give you trouble, and then make sure that you're getting good value out of any study time that you put into math.

3. Make use of GMAT Club! I haven't been on this forum for much time, and haven't met too many members, but everyone seems to be really helpful, friendly, and supportive. There are tons of great resources on the site, and bb (I think he's the founder?) is very active and has done an awesome job organizing all the information. As I mentioned earlier, I think the debriefs are some of the most helpful things that you can read, especially early on in your preparation, and I would also recommend downloading one of the various error logs, as well as looking over chineseburned's AWA Guide.

That's all that I got for now guys! Good luck to everyone who is still preparing, and congrats to anyone who is done. Let me know if there is anything else that you'd like me to touch on and I'll try to answer what I can. Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.45
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
I think you were already in a very good shape even before u started studying.. I have never heard anyone het get that much before,so congrats! What's your background

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
WHoa!!!!! this score is only a dream for me

congratulationssssssssssssss and good luck for your application part
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
amazing
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
tats wonderful score. Which schools are you targeting?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I studied econ and math in school. I'm actually looking for a job right now, not ready to apply to bschool yet but thought this would be a good time to get the GMAT out of the way =]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Wow, unbelievable score. Looks like you are a natural.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Manufacturing)
Send PM
congrats mate!!! your debrief was fantastic.
as evident from your score, your verbal is good from starting as well as quant.

if you can through some light how to improve Verbal.... as i am very poor in it.. that will be helpful.

PS : which school you are targeting to apply.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations!

Today I scored 780 so a I am now starting the applications. Tips for test takers:

1) Manhattan GMAT books
2) The Official Guide ( Review, Quantitative, Verbal)
3) iPhone/iPad apps GMATclub (it is called GMAT Toolkit)
4) GMAT Prep Software
5) ELIMINATE YOUR ANXIETY

I started preparing one year ago and due to the fact that I work many hours per day, I had to be patient.

Good luck guys!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Congratulations and thank you for an excellent summary of your strategy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 603 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
this is awesome-thank you for the detailed post!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Congrats man great score!

On my manhattan practice tests I also got 45 almost every time on verbal and then on the real GMAT I got 50v.

Im pretty sure manhattan caps the verbal at 45 for some reason, which skews the scores down a bit for people who are at a 47-51 level in verbal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Unbelievable!!!!
I think the score that u get can never been reacherd by other guys
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 38