It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 22:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2016, 04:59
this is a great info, i was looking for this through internet for long.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 113

WE: Engineering (Other)

Show Tags

New post 07 Apr 2017, 06:38
bb wrote:

8 Things NOT to Do at the Test Center

This past week we had a member who was asked to leave after looking at their notes during the break and another member last month had their score canceled for turning their cell phone on. These are very painful moments for everyone but these are GMAC's rules and it is important to know them and not to break them as the test administrator has their job to do. Make sure you know these.

Be Careful!

1. Testing aids, such as calculators, notes, or study guides, are not allowed at any time in the test center. This means - you cannot even bring them to the test center!

2. Personal items, such as cell phones, backpacks, wallets, purses, or handbags (see What to Bring to the Test Center) are not permitted in the testing room

3. Access to Telephones, cellular (mobile) phones, or other communication devices, Notes, Scratch paper, Calculators or watch calculators, Watches, stop watches, or watch alarms, Personal data assistants (PDAs), Beepers or pagers, Photographic devices, Stereos or radios, Any other electronic devices that could aid testing, Books or pamphlets, Dictionaries, translators, or thesauri, Pens or any other writing utensils, Rulers or any other measuring devices will not be permitted at any time while you are in the test center, during the test session or during breaks. I read this that you can use them before or after the exam but not after you check in and before you check out.

4. You will not be permitted to leave the testing room without the test administrator’s permission

5. You will not be allowed to eat, drink, or use tobacco while in the testing room, but may do so during scheduled breaks

6. If you want to go outside during a break, you must inform the test administrator where you are going, and you must remain in the immediate vicinity of the test center. Interesting - you actually can leave the testing area! But remember, you only have 8 min break

7. You must arrive at the Test Center at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled GMAT appointment. But then GMAC states also that "If you arrive more than 15 minutes after your scheduled appointment time, you may not be admitted"... so I guess anywhere between 30 mins before and 15 mins after.

8. And finally, just in case :wink: Weapons, including but not limited to firearms, knives, or any object that could be used as a weapon, are prohibited from the test center. These items are not allowed on the premises and may not be stored in the provided lockers. This policy includes off-duty law enforcement officers and persons with conceal and carry permits

Related Links:

Physical Environment of the Test Center
GMAT Test Center Reviews
Official MBA.com page about the test center regulations

Interested in seeing the check in process on the Test Day?

updated [you-tube][/you-tube]version : https://youtu.be/b3UvaAEDxvU. GMAC has reccently started 'behind the scenes' series from Dec 16. Make sure
you follow GMAC on fb / youtube and notifications are on !
Hit Kudos if you find useful

WR, Arpit

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 53

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 01:11
quick question, are you allowed to keep your turned off cellphone in the same locker room that you'd access for food/drink during the breaks, or is it not okay? I am asking because I don't want to get in trouble if they see a phone in my hand during the break, while I am just trying to get my refreshments.

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 08:11
I think you missed watching the video. Here is situation : say lights went off while you were supposed to take drinks and by chance your mobile is in same locker as your snacks. GMAC can very well be suspicious of accessing your cell phone in darkness and hence it is safer to assume that you leave cellphone, watch and pen at home. Just go with best mood and postive frame and you will come out with flying colors. Good luck!!
WR, Arpit.

Sent from my SM-G610F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Manager
Manager
B

GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.2

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 08:52
Thank you adkikani
The girl in the video puts her cellphone in the locker room and the voice in the commentary asks to put your food in the locker too.
I do agree with you that it's better to be on the side of caution, but not taking a cellphone/smartphone with you while commuting alone to the test center also has its risks.

adkikani wrote:
I think you missed watching the video. Here is situation : say lights went off while you were supposed to take drinks and by chance your mobile is in same locker as your snacks. GMAC can very well be suspicious of accessing your cell phone in darkness and hence it is safer to assume that you leave cellphone, watch and pen at home. Just go with best mood and postive frame and you will come out with flying colors. Good luck!!
WR, Arpit.

Sent from my SM-G610F using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GRE 1: 319 Q162 V157
GPA: 2.84
WE: Other (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 14 Apr 2017, 09:21
They donot provide headsets correct thia

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 243

GMAT Date: 11-01-2012

Show Tags

New post 24 Apr 2017, 12:58
bb wrote:

This past week we had a member who was asked to leave after looking at their notes during the break and another member last month had their score canceled for turning their cell phone on. These are very painful moments for everyone but these are GMAC's rules and it is important to know them and not to break them as the test administrator has their job to do. Make sure you know these.

Be Careful!

1. Testing aids, such as calculators, notes, or study guides, are not allowed at any time in the test center. This means - you cannot even bring them to the test center!

2. Personal items, such as cell phones, backpacks, wallets, purses, or handbags (see What to Bring to the Test Center) are not permitted in the testing room

3. Access to Telephones, cellular (mobile) phones, or other communication devices, Notes, Scratch paper, Calculators or watch calculators, Watches, stop watches, or watch alarms, Personal data assistants (PDAs), Beepers or pagers, Photographic devices, Stereos or radios, Any other electronic devices that could aid testing, Books or pamphlets, Dictionaries, translators, or thesauri, Pens or any other writing utensils, Rulers or any other measuring devices will not be permitted at any time while you are in the test center, during the test session or during breaks. I read this that you can use them before or after the exam but not after you check in and before you check out.

4. You will not be permitted to leave the testing room without the test administrator’s permission

5. You will not be allowed to eat, drink, or use tobacco while in the testing room, but may do so during scheduled breaks

6. If you want to go outside during a break, you must inform the test administrator where you are going, and you must remain in the immediate vicinity of the test center. Interesting - you actually can leave the testing area! But remember, you only have 8 min break

7. You must arrive at the Test Center at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled GMAT appointment. But then GMAC states also that "If you arrive more than 15 minutes after your scheduled appointment time, you may not be admitted"... so I guess anywhere between 30 mins before and 15 mins after.

8. And finally, just in case :wink: Weapons, including but not limited to firearms, knives, or any object that could be used as a weapon, are prohibited from the test center. These items are not allowed on the premises and may not be stored in the provided lockers. This policy includes off-duty law enforcement officers and persons with conceal and carry permits

Related Links:

GMAT Test Center Reviews

My writing is pretty big... if they do not allow me another booklet for scratch pad and i exhaust mine then?? regarding pens i have to use theres?? hope its god :P

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 243

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2017, 05:28
deependra1234 wrote:
bb wrote:

Be Careful!

Related Links:

GMAT Test Center Reviews

My writing is pretty big... if they do not allow me another booklet for scratch pad and i exhaust mine then?? regarding pens i have to use theres?? hope its god :P

Hi deependra1234,
I think you are overthinking about a small issue. As long as you show moderator that you have exhausted your scratch pad with legitimate work,
there should not be an issue. For marker pen, I suggest you buy from one local market so that there aren't surprises on D day.
WR,
Arpit

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27166 [0], given: 5001

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Jun 2017, 23:22
chesstitans wrote:
so, while doing the test, I have no pencil that I can use to make me read more smoothly?

You will have a dry erase marker/pen that you get at the exam issued to you. You cannot bring your own pencil/pen/pointer/etc unfortunately.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Kudos [?]: 27166 [0], given: 5001

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 62

Schools: ISB '19
GMAT 1: 600 Q47 V26
GPA: 3.59

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2017, 02:48
bb very useful post!

When I gave my gmat I had issue in concentrating in my paper ,I missed few questions because of this. If any test taker finished any part in exam before me and leaves room the squeaking chair noise, door open/close noise , sometime invigilator came in and gave some guidance test takers though they talked softly still disturbed me a lot. I was performing well in my mocks but actual GMAT was kind a shock to me.
Any suggestions how to overcome such situation in my next attempt?

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 62

Re: 8 Things Not to Do at the Test Center   [#permalink] 22 Jul 2017, 02:48

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 30 posts ]