GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 19:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot, 30% of which are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: And the Prep starts again...
Joined: 03 Aug 2010
Posts: 115
A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot, 30% of which are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Oct 2012, 07:56
1
1
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

89% (01:11) correct 11% (01:52) wrong based on 319 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot, 30% of which are silver. If the dealership receives a new shipment of 80 cars, 40% of which are not silver, what percentage of total number of cars are silver?

A. 35%
B. 37.5%
C. 45%
D. 47.5%
E. 50%

Originally posted by ENAFEX on 30 Sep 2012, 22:59.
Last edited by Bunuel on 01 Oct 2012, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 11 May 2011
Posts: 336
Re: A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2012, 00:00
Number of silver cars before shipment = 30% of 40 = 12
Number of silver cars after shipment = 60% of 80 = 48
Total number of silver cars out of 120 = 48+12 = 60, which is 50%
E is my answer.

Cheers!
_________________

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2012
Posts: 14
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2012, 19:58
Capricorn369 wrote:
Number of silver cars before shipment = 30% of 40 = 12
Number of silver cars after shipment = 60% of 80 = 48
Total number of silver cars out of 120 = 48+12 = 60, which is 50%
E is my answer.

Cheers!


There is a typo in the question... It s said to be 40% of the 80 received that are silver and in your calculation you ve used 60%...
So i stucked at 36.67% which is none of the answers.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 49858
Re: A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2012, 02:11
R26 wrote:
Capricorn369 wrote:
Number of silver cars before shipment = 30% of 40 = 12
Number of silver cars after shipment = 60% of 80 = 48
Total number of silver cars out of 120 = 48+12 = 60, which is 50%
E is my answer.

Cheers!


There is a typo in the question... It s said to be 40% of the 80 received that are silver and in your calculation you ve used 60%...
So i stucked at 36.67% which is none of the answers.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit


No typo there. We are told that 40% of 80 cars are NOT silver, thus remaining 60% are silver.

A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot, 30% of which are silver. If the dealership receives a new shipment of 80 cars, 40% of which are not silver, what percentage of total number of cars are silver?

A. 35%
B. 37.5%
C. 45%
D. 47.5%
E. 50%

The number of silver cars is 0.3*40+0.6*80=60, which is 60/(40+80)=1/2=50% of total number of cars.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2012
Posts: 14
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot,  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Nov 2012, 02:25
Bunuel wrote:
R26 wrote:
Capricorn369 wrote:
Number of silver cars before shipment = 30% of 40 = 12
Number of silver cars after shipment = 60% of 80 = 48
Total number of silver cars out of 120 = 48+12 = 60, which is 50%
E is my answer.

Cheers!


There is a typo in the question... It s said to be 40% of the 80 received that are silver and in your calculation you ve used 60%...
So i stucked at 36.67% which is none of the answers.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit


No typo there. We are told that 40% of 80 cars are NOT silver, thus remaining 60% are silver.

A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot, 30% of which are silver. If the dealership receives a new shipment of 80 cars, 40% of which are not silver, what percentage of total number of cars are silver?

A. 35%
B. 37.5%
C. 45%
D. 47.5%
E. 50%

The number of silver cars is 0.3*40+0.6*80=60, which is 60/(40+80)=1/2=50% of total number of cars.

Answer: E.

Hope it's clear.


I read too fast. Sorry, i ll be more careful.
Thank you.
Target Test Prep Representative
User avatar
G
Status: Head GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Joined: 04 Mar 2011
Posts: 2830
Re: A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot, 30% of which are  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2018, 17:31
ENAFEX wrote:
A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot, 30% of which are silver. If the dealership receives a new shipment of 80 cars, 40% of which are not silver, what percentage of total number of cars are silver?

A. 35%
B. 37.5%
C. 45%
D. 47.5%
E. 50%


Before the shipment, the car dealership has 0.3 x 40 = 12 silver cars. The shipment has 0.6 x 80 = 48 silver cars. Thus, after the shipment, the dealership has 12 + 48 = 60 silver cars out of a total of 40 + 80 = 120 cars. We see that the percentage of cars that are silver is 60/120 = 1/2 = 50%.

Answer: E
_________________

Jeffery Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction

GMAT Quant Self-Study Course
500+ lessons 3000+ practice problems 800+ HD solutions

GMAT Club Bot
Re: A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot, 30% of which are &nbs [#permalink] 19 Apr 2018, 17:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A car dealership has 40 cars on the lot, 30% of which are

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.