Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1663 [21]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63655 [7]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1988 [1]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
A carved flint object depicting a stylized human head wi [#permalink]
Kudos
Premise - A carved flint object depicting a stylized human head with an open mouth was found in a Stone Age tomb in Ireland.
Some archaeologists believe that the object was a weapon-the head of a warrior's mace-but it is too small for that purpose.

Conclusion - the object was probably the head of a speaking staff, a communal object passed around a small assembly to indicate who has the right to speak.

(A) The tomb in which the object was found did not contain any other objects that might have been weapons. - Strengthens.

(B) Communal objects were normally passed from one generation to the next in Stone Age Ireland." - HOLD.

(C) The object was carved with an artistry that was rare in Stone Age Ireland. - Irrelevant.

(D) The tomb in which the object was found was that of a politically prominent person. - Irrelevant.

(E) A speaking staff with a stone head is thought to symbolize a warrior's mace. - Strengthens.

Although B is the best of the lot by POE, but it doesn't weaken, since even though Communal objects were normally passed from one generation to the next, it can still be found in a tomb.
GMATNinja, GMATNinjaTwo, VeritasKarishma, broall, nightblade354, Can you please throw some light into this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: A carved flint object depicting a stylized human head wi [#permalink]
I think E actaully weakens it.

Object found --> could be warrior mace but small.

Conclusion: not warrior mace.So probably head of speaking staff.

E.Stone head --> a symbol of warrior mace .

Conclusion fails.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1663 [0]
Given Kudos: 348
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
A carved flint object depicting a stylized human head wi [#permalink]
souvonik2k wrote:
Premise - A carved flint object depicting a stylized human head with an open mouth was found in a Stone Age tomb in Ireland.
Some archaeologists believe that the object was a weapon-the head of a warrior's mace-but it is too small for that purpose.

Conclusion - the object was probably the head of a speaking staff, a communal object passed around a small assembly to indicate who has the right to speak.

(A) The tomb in which the object was found did not contain any other objects that might have been weapons. - Strengthens.

(B) Communal objects were normally passed from one generation to the next in Stone Age Ireland." - HOLD.

(C) The object was carved with an artistry that was rare in Stone Age Ireland. - Irrelevant.

(D) The tomb in which the object was found was that of a politically prominent person. - Irrelevant.

(E) A speaking staff with a stone head is thought to symbolize a warrior's mace. - Strengthens.

Although B is the best of the lot by POE, but it doesn't weaken, since even though Communal objects were normally passed from one generation to the next, it can still be found in a tomb.
GMATNinja, broall, nightblade354, Can you please throw some light into this.

Hi, I've one doubt that we have already been told that "communal object passed around a small assembly to indicate who has the right to speak" and option B just changing its definition, What I understood from " assembly" is an ongoing meeting or like parliament assembly, anything whose scope is limited to present time

But, if we think of a communal object as a something which passes from one generation to other , then Option B is right, as we have been told at the start of a premise that object is found in Tomb and our Conclusion is " Flint is a communal object, which passes from one generation or person to other" then what was the fun of kepting it in tomb that's how it weakens the conclusion ( Flint is a communal object)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
In my opinion:

The conclusion is that the object found indicates the right to speak of speaking staff. If (B) "these objects were normally passed from one generation to the next in Stone Age Ireland" then the object should not be found there. So, this choice undermines the author conclusion.

As far as concerned to alternative (E), "a speaking staff with a stone head is thought to symbolize a warrior's mace": it is not the same to say "symbolize" than "identify", "is", or "signalized that it is". A speaking staff with a stone head could symbolize a warrior's mace, but IS NOT/DOES NOT IDENTIFY/DOES NOT SIGNALIZED THAT IT IS a warrior's mace.
Also, do not forget that wakeners make the conclusion more likely to follow from the evidence. Letter (E) does not attack the conclusion, it attacks the premise.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 823 [0]
Given Kudos: 646
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
A carved flint object depicting a stylized human head with an open mouth was found in a Stone Age tomb in Ireland. Some archaeologists believe that the object was a weapon-the head of a warrior's mace-but it is too small for that purpose. Because of its size and the fact that an open mouth symbolizes speaking, the object was probably the head of a speaking staff, a communal object passed around a small assembly to indicate who has the right to speak.

Premise: the object is a communal object.
Weaken: If Communal objects were normally passed from one generation to the next in Stone Age Ireland, then the flint object would not have been kept in the tomb.

--B--
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
nightblade354, could you help out with this question? Thanks.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [0]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here is the OE: https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=6827
and: https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... t9166.html

I am attempting to not see any of the newer LSAT questions until I do the practice test containing them!

If this is still insufficient, I will take a crack at solving it.
Intern
Intern
Status:I am striving for 760. Any feedback is appreciated :)
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
Send PM
Here is my thought:

- An object was found in a Stone Age tomb in Ireland.
- (Some believe) the object was a weapon-but it is too small for that purpose.
- The object was probably the head of a speaking staff - Why? Because of its size and the fact that an open mouth symbolizes speaking.

Which one of the following, if true, would most weaken the argument?

(A) The tomb in which the object was found did not contain any other objects that might have been weapons. - The tomb does not contain any weapon does not mean this object is not a weapon. => We can safely eliminate this option.

(B) Communal objects were normally passed from one generation to the next in Stone Age Ireland. - I have no idea how this relate to the argument but I cannot explain so I put a hold on this fact.

(C) The object was carved with an artistry that was rare in Stone Age Ireland. - This piece of information is irrelevant because our discussion is about the function of the artifact. Let's eliminate this option.

(D) The tomb in which the object was found was that of a politically prominent person.Politician may possess weapon. We cannot conclude or reject any conclusion. OUT

(E) A speaking staff with a stone head is thought to symbolize a warrior's mace.Hmm, so..? How does this information relate to the argument. I think this pieces of information is irrelevant because the argument is all about the function of the staff not about how it looks.

AFTER THE POE, I take a review at option B. I try to rationale it as following: the staff is found in the tomb but option B tells me it is passed down over generations. Something is not right, though it is subtle. The staff should be found in another place rather than in the tomb. So B IS HIGHLY CORRECT.

I am not 100% sure but other options are eliminated so I am with B.
Please fix me if any process of my thinking is wrong :). Appreciate much.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts