GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 24 Apr 2019, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

A certain dairy packing plant has two machines, P and Q

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
A certain dairy packing plant has two machines, P and Q  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2013, 01:45
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

70% (03:00) correct 30% (03:10) wrong based on 269 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A certain dairy packing plant has two machines, P and Q, that process milk at constant rates of 30 gallons per minute and 45 gallons per minute, respectively. A day's run of milk can be processed by machine P operating alone in 6 hours, by machine Q operating alone in 4 hours, or by both machines operating simultaneously in 2.4 hours. If a day's run of milk is processed using machine Q alone for half the time and both machines together for half the time, how many hours does it take to complete the run?

A. 1.5
    B. 3.0
    C. 3.75
    D. 4.2
    E. 5.0

I stumbled upon this one yesterday and it kind of confused me, though I have pretty much understood the logic behind work problems. Ideas? Thanks in advance!

OA B
Most Helpful Community Reply
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A certain dairy packing plant has two machines, P and Q  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2013, 01:52
\(rate*time=work\)
\(45=\)rate Q/min
\(30=\)rate P/min
\(30+45=\)rate Q+P/min

Let \(t\) be half of the time necessary, expressed in minutes. The total work of a day is \(6 h*60 min*30r/min\).

\(45*t + t(30+45)=6*60*30\) or \(120t=6*60*30\), \(t=90\) minutes. \(t\) is half of the time , so the total is \(180\) minutes or \(3\) hours.

Hope it's clear

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]
General Discussion
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2013, 02:12
DrFeelgood wrote:
A certain dairy packing plant has two machines, P and Q, that process milk at constant rates of 30 gallons per minute and 45 gallons per minute, respectively. A day's run of milk can be processed by machine P operating alone in 6 hours, by machine Q operating alone in 4 hours, or by both machines operating simultaneously in 2.4 hours. If a day's run of milk is processed using machine Q alone for half the time and both machines together for half the time, how many hours does it take to complete the run?

A. 1.5
    B. 3.0
    C. 3.75
    D. 4.2
    E. 5.0

I stumbled upon this one yesterday and it kind of confused me, though I have pretty much understood the logic behind work problems. Ideas? Thanks in advance!

OA B

machine p ==>30 gallon per minute =30*60 gallon per hour
machine q ==>45 gallon per minute =45*60 gallon per hour
machine p+q ==>75 gallon per minute =75*60 gallon per hour

for a days run milk required = run machine p for 6 hours = \(6*30*60\) gallon

If a day's run of milk is processed using machine Q alone for half the time and both machines together for half the time, how many hours does it take to complete the run?
lets total time taken = \(2t\)
t time with machine q and t time with machine p+q

therefore
milk required for a day = \(45*60*t + 75*60*t\)
now we know milk required for a day = \(6*30*60\) gallon
therefore
\(6*30*60\) gallon = \(45*60*t + 75*60*t\)
cancel out all \(60\) from both sides
\(6*30 = 45*t+75*t
solving t=1.5
hence 2t=3\)

hence B
HOPE IT HELPS

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2013, 02:16
Both your answers are very helpful, indeed! Thanks a lot! I somehow managed to confuse myself with the "half the time" aspect of the exercise. I started thinking in terms of 24 hours etc etc yet it was that simple (signing it with a "t"). A simple reminder that I should keep things simple and to the point! The only logical thinking that I did was to eliminate answers A, D and E since the time needed to do the run, has to be longer than 2.4 hours and less than 4.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2013, 02:20
DrFeelgood wrote:
Both your answers are very helpful, indeed! Thanks a lot! I somehow managed to confuse myself with the "half the time" aspect of the exercise. I started thinking in terms of 24 hours etc etc yet it was that simple (signing it with a "t"). A simple reminder that I should keep things simple and to the point! The only logical thinking that I did was to eliminate answers A, D and E since the time needed to do the run, has to be longer than 2.4 hours and less than 4.

Thats the great way to eliminate 3 options.

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: http://gmatclub.com/forum/vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat-analytical-writing-assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss
Director
Director
S

Show Tags

New post 01 Aug 2013, 03:03
1. A day's run of milk is processed by p and q together and also by q alone.
2. Let the total time taken be x.
3. x = time taken by p and q together/ 2 + time taken by q alone /2
4. i.e., 1/x = (1/4 + 1/6)/2 + (1/4)/2
5. x= 3

Holistic and Systematic Approach
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2013, 01:45
x = total time

1/x = 1/2*1/4 (Q alone) + 1/2*1/2.4 (P & Q simultaneously) = 1/8 + 1/2*24/10 = 1/8 + 5/24 = 8/24

--> x = 24/8 = 3 --> B.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 25 Sep 2013, 22:40
Rate (P) = 1/2
Rate (Q) = 3/4

P+Q (2.4)= work done = 3

Let 't' be the total time for the scenario then

(3/4) t/2 + t/2 (3/4 + 1/2) = 3

t=3
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2014, 11:06
Hi All,

This question can be solved by TESTing THE ANSWERS.

We're given rates for Machine P (30 gallons/minute) and Machine Q (45 gallons/minute) and we're told how long it would take each machine to finish a job (6 hours and 4 hours respectively). We can use this information to figure out the TOTAL JOB....

Total Job = (30 gallons/min)(60 mins)(6 hours) = 10,800 Gallons

We're then given a specific set of circumstances to calculate: Machine Q works by itself for a period of time, then the two machine work together for the SAME amount of time that Machine Q worked by itself. We're told that this situation will complete the entire job. We're asked how long it would take to complete the job under these circumstances.

Logically, since Machine Q can do the entire job on its own in 4 hours, with the added help of Machine P, the amount of time MUST be LESS than 4 hours.

Let's TEST Answer B....

If the Total job was 3 hours, then Machine Q would work for 1.5 hours by itself, then Machines P and Q would work for another 1.5 hours together. We can now calculate how many Gallons are processed in this situation...

Machine Q = (45 gallons/min)(90 minutes) = 4,050 gallons
Machines P+Q = (45+30 gallons/min)(90 minutes) = 6,750 gallons
Total = 4,050 + 6,750 = 10,800 gallons.
This IS the exact TOTAL we are supposed to end up with, so the total time MUST be 3 hours.

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/
VP
VP
P
A certain dairy packing plant has two machines, P and Q  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 30 Jul 2017, 14:50
DrFeelgood wrote:

A. 1.5
    B. 3.0
    C. 3.75
    D. 4.2
    E. 5.0

let w=portion of work done by Q alone
1-w=portion of work done by P and Q
w/(1/4)=(1-w)/(1/4+1/6)
w=3/8 of run completed by Q alone
(3/8)/(1/4)=3/2 hours for Q alone
(3/2)*2=3 hours total to complete run
B

Originally posted by gracie on 29 Jul 2017, 22:38.
Last edited by gracie on 30 Jul 2017, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Ivey '19 (I)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.82

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2017, 01:55
DrFeelgood wrote:

A. 1.5
    B. 3.0
    C. 3.75
    D. 4.2
    E. 5.0

OA B

Done in 30 seconds: Q alone does the work in 4 hours, 2 machines together in 2,4 hours. Therefore, eliminate A, D and E. Taking into account that Q operated for half the time and both machines together for half the time - the answer should be somewhere close to the average of these times. C is very close to the time that needed for Q if operating alone. B is the answer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: A certain dairy packing plant has two machines, P and Q   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2017, 01:55

A certain dairy packing plant has two machines, P and Q

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap