GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 21 Apr 2018, 23:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 33
A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2011, 12:20
1
This post received
KUDOS
10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  95% (hard)

Question Stats:

52% (03:52) correct 48% (02:58) wrong based on 136 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete the construction in 110 days if there was no rain. (Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day and rain is the only factor that can deter the crew from working). However, on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, he hired 6 more people and finished the project early. If the job was done in 100 days, how many days after day 60 had rain?

A. 4
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. 8
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44599
Re: complicated work problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2011, 12:33
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rtaha2412 wrote:
A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete the construction in 110 days if there was no rain. (Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day and rain is the only factor that can deter the crew from working). However, on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, he hired 6 more people and finished the project early. If the job was done in 100 days, how many days after day 60 had rain?

4
5
6
7
8


Given: 10-man crew needs 110 days to complete the construction.

"On the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain ..." --> as it was raining for 5 days then they must have bee working for 55 days thus completed 1/2 of the job, 1/2 is left (55 days of work for 10 men).

Then contractor "hired 6 more people" --> speed of construction increased 1.6 times, so the new 16-man crew needed 55/1.6=~34.4 days to complete the construction, but after they were hired job was done in 100-60=40 days --> so 5 days rained. (They needed MORE than 34 days to finish the job, so if it rained for 6 days they wouldn't be able to finish the job in 100(40) days.)

Answer: B.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8028
Location: Pune, India
Re: complicated work problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2011, 20:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
rtaha2412 wrote:
A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete the construction in 110 days if there was no rain. (Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day and rain is the only factor that can deter the crew from working). However, on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, he hired 6 more people and finished the project early. If the job was done in 100 days, how many days after day 60 had rain?

4
5
6
7
8


You can visualize it in another way:
10 man crew needs 110 days means the total work = 10*110 = 1100 man-days
(man-days means the amount of work 1 man does in 1 day)

In 60 days, it rained for 5 days and the crew worked for 55 days and completed 10*55 = 550 man-days work and left over work is 1100 - 550 = 550 man-days

From 61st day on, there are 16 people working and will need 550/16 = 34.4 days to complete the remaining work. So out of 40 days (from 61st to 100th day), 35 days were used (though the 100th day wasn't completely utilized) and it must have rained on 5 days.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 133
Location: So. CA
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst
Re: complicated work problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2011, 21:02
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:


From 61st day on, there are 16 people working and will need 550/16 = 34.4 days to complete the remaining work. So out of 40 days (from 61st to 100th day), 35 days were used (though the 100th day wasn't completely utilized) and it must have rained on 5 days.


your method makes sense, but i got kind of lost at the end.
so if it takes 34.4 days, wouldn't it be 61+34=95 days, so it rained for 5 days?
thanks.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 44599
Re: complicated work problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2011, 00:46
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gtr022001 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:


From 61st day on, there are 16 people working and will need 550/16 = 34.4 days to complete the remaining work. So out of 40 days (from 61st to 100th day), 35 days were used (though the 100th day wasn't completely utilized) and it must have rained on 5 days.


your method makes sense, but i got kind of lost at the end.
so if it takes 34.4 days, wouldn't it be 61+34=95 days, so it rained for 5 days?
thanks.


Yes it rained on 5 days but the job took 34.4 days, so more than 34 (full 34 days and the part of 35th day). Next, you should count from 61st day (61st day is the first day when 16 men crew started to work) so 60+35=95 (not 61+...) --> 100-95=5.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8028
Location: Pune, India
Re: complicated work problem [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2011, 05:33
gtr022001 wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:


From 61st day on, there are 16 people working and will need 550/16 = 34.4 days to complete the remaining work. So out of 40 days (from 61st to 100th day), 35 days were used (though the 100th day wasn't completely utilized) and it must have rained on 5 days.


your method makes sense, but i got kind of lost at the end.
so if it takes 34.4 days, wouldn't it be 61+34=95 days, so it rained for 5 days?
thanks.


As bunuel pointed out above, it rained for 5days in the first 60 days. Thereafter, in the remaining 100 - 60 = 40 days, they worked for 34.4 days ie 35 days (the 35th day, they worked partly). The rest of the 5 days, it rained. Snce the work was not over in 34 days, they needed the 35th day. You cannot round it off to 34.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: PLAY HARD OR GO HOME
Joined: 25 Feb 2014
Posts: 172
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Mannheim
GMAT 1: 560 Q46 V22
GPA: 3.1
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2014, 07:41
2
This post received
KUDOS
110 days * 10 workers= 1100 units of work in total..

55 days of work done with help of 10 workers..therefore, 55 days * 10 workers = 550 units of work done..it means 550 units of work remaining..

It means, 550 units /16 workers = 34.3 days required to finish the work..

Since the work done in 100 days,we have 40 days remaining, but the days required are 34.3 or we can say 35 since,until 0.3 units of work is not completed,we cannot claim that work is completed..

Hence 5 days of work remain...


Hope it helps.. :)
_________________

ITS NOT OVER , UNTIL I WIN ! I CAN, AND I WILL .PERIOD.

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2014
Posts: 886
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2016, 06:44
rtaha2412 wrote:
A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete the construction in 110 days if there was no rain. (Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day and rain is the only factor that can deter the crew from working). However, on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, he hired 6 more people and finished the project early. If the job was done in 100 days, how many days after day 60 had rain?

A. 4
B. 5
C. 6
D. 7
E. 8


10 men worked for 55 days.
It rained from 56th to 60th day.
On 61st day, he hired 6 more people, making total 16 people working.

Since 10 men can complete total work in 110 days, they must have completed 1/2 work in first 55 days.

From day 61 he had 16 workers working in remaining 1/2 work.

Now, if 10 workers take 55 days to complete 1/2 work, 16 workers take 55*10/16= 34.3 days (34 days + next day= 35 days)
But its given that they finished the work in 40 days (61st to 100th day). Hence they did not work on 40-35= 5 days

B is the answer
_________________

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Apr 2013
Posts: 290
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Schools: Simon '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 00:47
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rtaha2412 wrote:
A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete the construction in 110 days if there was no rain. (Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day and rain is the only factor that can deter the crew from working). However, on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, he hired 6 more people and finished the project early. If the job was done in 100 days, how many days after day 60 had rain?

4
5
6
7
8


You can visualize it in another way:
10 man crew needs 110 days means the total work = 10*110 = 1100 man-days
(man-days means the amount of work 1 man does in 1 day)

In 60 days, it rained for 5 days and the crew worked for 55 days and completed 10*55 = 550 man-days work and left over work is 1100 - 550 = 550 man-days

From 61st day on, there are 16 people working and will need 550/16 = 34.4 days to complete the remaining work. So out of 40 days (from 61st to 100th day), 35 days were used (though the 100th day wasn't completely utilized) and it must have rained on 5 days.


Following your approach, I did this, but the answer came out wrong.

after 60 days have passed, the 16 member crew is able to do 550 mandays of work in 40 days.

What would've happened if it worked for the 40 days? they would have done 640 mandys of work.
But they did only 550 mandays of work. so they did not work for the number of days it would have taken them to do 640-550 = 90 mandays of work

90/16 = 5.625 rounding off gives 6!
_________________

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8028
Location: Pune, India
Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 01:25
ShashankDave wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
rtaha2412 wrote:
A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete the construction in 110 days if there was no rain. (Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day and rain is the only factor that can deter the crew from working). However, on the 61-st day, after 5 days of rain, he hired 6 more people and finished the project early. If the job was done in 100 days, how many days after day 60 had rain?

4
5
6
7
8


You can visualize it in another way:
10 man crew needs 110 days means the total work = 10*110 = 1100 man-days
(man-days means the amount of work 1 man does in 1 day)

In 60 days, it rained for 5 days and the crew worked for 55 days and completed 10*55 = 550 man-days work and left over work is 1100 - 550 = 550 man-days

From 61st day on, there are 16 people working and will need 550/16 = 34.4 days to complete the remaining work. So out of 40 days (from 61st to 100th day), 35 days were used (though the 100th day wasn't completely utilized) and it must have rained on 5 days.


Following your approach, I did this, but the answer came out wrong.

after 60 days have passed, the 16 member crew is able to do 550 mandays of work in 40 days.

What would've happened if it worked for the 40 days? they would have done 640 mandys of work.
But they did only 550 mandays of work. so they did not work for the number of days it would have taken them to do 640-550 = 90 mandays of work

90/16 = 5.625 rounding off gives 6!


The answer is the same - you need to use logic here to figure out whether you will round off to 5 or 6. Note that in my explanation above, I rounded off 34.4 days to 35 days. Why? Because they worked for a part of the 35th day too. The work got completed in 0.4 day but the 35th day was used. Hence it rained for 5 days only.
You will use the same logic.
5.6 days were not used. It must have rained on 5 days and a part of the 6th day must have been used so it must not have rained on it.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Apr 2013
Posts: 290
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Schools: Simon '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 01:31
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma, thank you for the prompt response. I understand your point. But considering what you have said, it would be needed to be specified by the question that if it rains for a portion of a day, the remaining time is used by the workers and that counts as a full day of work.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8028
Location: Pune, India
Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 01:37
ShashankDave wrote:
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma, thank you for the prompt response. I understand your point. But considering what you have said, it would be needed to be specified by the question that if it rains for a portion of a day, the remaining time is used by the workers and that counts as a full day of work.

Posted from my mobile device


No. The question tells you - "Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day "

They worked partially on the last day because the work got over, not because it rained.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Get started with Veritas Prep GMAT On Demand for $199

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
G
Joined: 03 Apr 2013
Posts: 290
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
Schools: Simon '20
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2017, 01:44
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ShashankDave wrote:
Hi VeritasPrepKarishma, thank you for the prompt response. I understand your point. But considering what you have said, it would be needed to be specified by the question that if it rains for a portion of a day, the remaining time is used by the workers and that counts as a full day of work.

Posted from my mobile device


No. The question tells you - "Assume the crew does not work on any rainy day "

They worked partially on the last day because the work got over, not because it rained.


Got it. Thanks a lot for your help. Also, is this an official question? what's the source? because I have seen this question in my CAT prep material somewhere.

Posted from my mobile device
_________________

Spread some love..Like = +1 Kudos :)

Re: A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2017, 01:44
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A contractor estimated that his 10-man crew could complete t

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.