Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618974 [39]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 177
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [2]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
A few men and a few women are seated in a row. The number of men is on [#permalink]
Bookmarks
shariq41 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
A few men and a few women are seated in a row. The number of men is one greater than the number of women. What is the total number of people?

(1) The people are seated so that no two women sit beside one another.
(2) The number of ways of arranging the seating positions of the men and women is 3(5!)(7!).

Answer = C

Explanation :-
Let the number of women be x. Therefore, the number of men is x+1.

1) We cannot find the total number of people just by using Statement 1.
For example :-
i) There are 3 men and 2 women such that : MWMMW.
ii) There are 4 men and 3 women such that : MWMWMWM

Therefore Statement 1 is not sufficient to answer the question.

2) Just by using Statement 2, there could be multiple scenarios where we could arrange in the x+1 men and x women in 3(5!)(7!).
Hence we cannot obtain unique value of the total number of people (that is sum of number of men and women).

However, using Statement 1 and Statement 2, the number of ways of arranging x women and x+1 men such that no two women are together are:-

(x+2)C(x) . x! . (x+1)! = 3.(5!).(7!)

By solving the above equation, we get x=5, which is the number of women.
Number of men = x+1 = 6.
Hence, total number of people = 11.

Therefore, answer is C.

Vyshak, VeritasPrepKarishma, Skywalker18, mikemcgarry, Abhishek009, msk0657, abhimahna, Bunuel, Engr2012
Can someone explain how this highlighted line be calculated?
Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
A few men and a few women are seated in a row. The number of men is on [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
A few men and a few women are seated in a row. The number of men is one greater than the number of women. What is the total number of people?

(2) The number of ways of arranging the seating positions of the men and women is 3(5!)(7!).

manishtank1988 wrote:
Vyshak, VeritasPrepKarishma, Skywalker18, mikemcgarry, Abhishek009, msk0657, abhimahna, Bunuel, Engr2012
Thanks

Dear manishtank1988,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, here's how I would think through the problem.
Statement #1: a seating constraint, but no number specific. Insufficient by itself.
Statement #2: a number given, but the number of possible seating constraints (e.g women must sit in clusters of 2 or 3 only) is mind-boggling. Insufficient by itself.

Combined: we have a clear seating constraint, which will determine a specific number of seating arrangements for each number of people, and the former will increase rapidly for each one we add to the latter. Thus, specifying a particular number of seating arrangements determines the number of people. Sufficient together.

OA = (C)

This is GMAT DS, so on principle, I would refuse to do a single calculation in answering the question. Nevertheless, you would like to see the calculation.

Again, here's how I would think about it.

Let's say there are x women. Just for the visual, I am showing the x = 5 case. These are spaced apart:

_ _ _ F _ _ _ F _ _ _ F _ _ _ F _ _ _ F _ _ _

There must be at least one man in each of the (x - 1) spaces between them. Put (x - 1) men there.

_ _ _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ _ _

We have two men left. Where do we put these last two men? We have (x - 1) slots between the two women as well as two on the ends, for (x + 1) total slots. We could either put both of these two extra men together, or we could put them in two different slots.
If they are together, we could put them in (x + 1). Possible outcomes:

M M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ _ _

_ _ _ F _ M _ F _ M M M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ _ _

_ _ _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M M

If we put the two extra men in two different slots, we would have (1/2)(x+1)(x) choices. Possible outcomes:

_ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M M _ F _ M _ F _ _ _

_ _ _ F _ M M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M M _ F _ _ _

Total number of "men slots" = (x + 1) + (1/2)(x + 1)x

Multiply that by (x+ 1)!, and then multiply this by x! for the women.

I get a different equation. I get
total number of arrangements = [(x + 1) + (1/2)(x + 1)x]*(x+ 1)!*x!

If x = 5, then this becomes

total number of arrangements = (6 + (1/2)(6)(5))*6!*5! = 21*6!*5! = 3*7*6!*5! = 3*7!*5! = 3(5!)(7!)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 258 [1]
Given Kudos: 1023
Send PM
Bookmarks
mikemcgarry wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

manishtank1988 wrote:
Thanks

Dear manishtank1988,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, here's how I would think through the problem.
Statement #1: a seating constraint, but no number specific. Insufficient by itself.
Statement #2: a number given, but the number of possible seating constraints (e.g women must sit in clusters of 2 or 3 only) is mind-boggling. Insufficient by itself.

Combined: we have a clear seating constraint, which will determine a specific number of seating arrangements for each number of people, and the former will increase rapidly for each one we add to the latter. Thus, specifying a particular number of seating arrangements determines the number of people. Sufficient together.

OA = (C)

This is GMAT DS, so on principle, I would refuse to do a single calculation in answering the question. Nevertheless, you would like to see the calculation.

Again, here's how I would think about it.

Let's say there are x women. Just for the visual, I am showing the x = 5 case. These are spaced apart:

_ _ _ F _ _ _ F _ _ _ F _ _ _ F _ _ _ F _ _ _

There must be at least one man in each of the (x - 1) spaces between them. Put (x - 1) men there.

_ _ _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ _ _

We have two men left. Where do we put these last two men? We have (x - 1) slots between the two women as well as two on the ends, for (x + 1) total slots. We could either put both of these two extra men together, or we could put them in two different slots.
If they are together, we could put them in (x + 1). Possible outcomes:

M M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ _ _

_ _ _ F _ M _ F _ M M M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ _ _

_ _ _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M _ F _ M M

If we put the two extra men in two different slots, we would have (1/2)(x+1)(x) choices. Possible outcomes:

Total number of "men slots" = (x + 1) + (1/2)(x + 1)x

Multiply that by (x+ 1)!, and then multiply this by x! for the women.

I get a different equation. I get
total number of arrangements = [(x + 1) + (1/2)(x + 1)x]*(x+ 1)!*x!

If x = 5, then this becomes

total number of arrangements = (6 + (1/2)(6)(5))*6!*5! = 21*6!*5! = 3*7*6!*5! = 3*7!*5! = 3(5!)(7!)

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

mikemcgarry
First of all, thanks a lot for responding. I appreciate your help.
But i still have a few questions -
[Q-1] I can understand (x+1) => 1st M of the remaining 2 Ms can take (x+1) positions and 2nd M can take [(x+1)-1] = x positions. I don't understand why are we getting this (1/2)?

[Q-2] Also, i am assuming that we are multiplying by
(x+1)! => because finally there are (x+1) seats for men and we can arrange them in (x+1)! ways &
x! => because finally there are x seats for women and we can arrange them in x! ways
Am i correct in assuming this?
Thanks and looking forward to your reply. :P
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: A few men and a few women are seated in a row. The number of men is on [#permalink]
Kudos