It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 13:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A fortune-teller uses 22 Major Arcana Tarot cards to perform

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 276

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

A fortune-teller uses 22 Major Arcana Tarot cards to perform [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2008, 22:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

A fortune-teller uses 22 Major Arcana Tarot cards to perform fortune telling. She will pick 3 cards to look at querent's past, present, and futuer. A card will have different meaning if it is reversed. How many possible ways can the fortune-teller read the fortune?

A) 1,540
B) 9,240
C) 12,320
D) 73,920
E) 79,464

Bonus: Same question. If she picks 10 cards, how many ways can she read the fortune?

Last edited by devilmirror on 07 Oct 2008, 09:06, edited 2 times in total.

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tarot Cards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2008, 23:34
For the original question, the answer will be 44P3 = 79464.

If she picks 10 cards, the answer will be 44P10.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 276

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tarot Cards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2008, 09:07
Do you guys all agree with the above solution? 8-)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Sep 2008
Posts: 121

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tarot Cards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2008, 23:05
Please confirm the answer

I think E is right one.. here order will matter so we need to use P instead of C and reverse means we need to just double the card..

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 276

Kudos [?]: 43 [1], given: 0

Re: PS: Tarot Cards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2008, 00:24
1
This post received
KUDOS
devilmirror wrote:
A fortune-teller uses 22 Major Arcana Tarot cards to perform fortune telling. She will pick 3 cards to look at querent's past, present, and futuer. A card will have different meaning if it is reversed. How many possible ways can the fortune-teller read the fortune?

A) 1,540
B) 9,240
C) 12,320
D) 73,920
E) 79,464

Bonus: Same question. If she picks 10 cards, how many ways can she read the fortune?


The answer is D.

First card; 22 cards available and 2 possible interpretations = 22 x 2
Second card; 21 cards available and 2 possible interpretations = 21 x 2
Third card; 20 cards available and 2 possible interpretations = 20 x 2

Therefore, n(events) = (22x2)(21x2)(20x2) = 73,920

OR
n(events) = (\(2^3\))(P(22,3) = (8)(22x21x20) = 73,920

The answer is D.

Kudos [?]: 43 [1], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tarot Cards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2008, 00:32
devilmirror wrote:
devilmirror wrote:
A fortune-teller uses 22 Major Arcana Tarot cards to perform fortune telling. She will pick 3 cards to look at querent's past, present, and futuer. A card will have different meaning if it is reversed. How many possible ways can the fortune-teller read the fortune?

A) 1,540
B) 9,240
C) 12,320
D) 73,920
E) 79,464

Bonus: Same question. If she picks 10 cards, how many ways can she read the fortune?


The answer is D.

First card; 22 cards available and 2 possible interpretations = 22 x 2
Second card; 21 cards available and 2 possible interpretations = 21 x 2
Third card; 20 cards available and 2 possible interpretations = 20 x 2

Therefore, n(events) = (22x2)(21x2)(20x2) = 73,920

OR
n(events) = (\(2^3\))(P(22,3) = (8)(22x21x20) = 73,920

The answer is D.


I am puzzled. If three cards are used to tell past, present and future, will the order of these cards not matter?

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 276

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tarot Cards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2008, 00:37
devilmirror wrote:

Bonus: Same question. If she picks 10 cards, how many ways can she read the fortune?


n(events) = (2^10)(P(22,10))
= (1024)( 22! / (22-10)! ) = (1024)(22! / 12!) = (1024)(22x21x20x...x13)

= 2,402,866,180,915,200
= 2.4 thousand trillions
= 2.4 quadrillion ways

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I guess fortune tellers will never run out of their stories.

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 276

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tarot Cards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2008, 00:45
scthakur wrote:
I am puzzled. If three cards are used to tell past, present and future, will the order of these cards not matter?


Because the order of card is matter. That's why we use permutation.

Permutation: P(22,3) = 22 x 21 x 20 = 9,240

Note:
Combination: C(22,3) = 22 x 21 x 20 / 3! = 22 x 7 x 10 = 1,540

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tarot Cards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2008, 01:43
devilmirror wrote:
scthakur wrote:
I am puzzled. If three cards are used to tell past, present and future, will the order of these cards not matter?


Because the order of card is matter. That's why we use permutation.

Permutation: P(22,3) = 22 x 21 x 20 = 9,240

Note:
Combination: C(22,3) = 22 x 21 x 20 / 3! = 22 x 7 x 10 = 1,540



Then, where am I going wrong in my interpretation?
There are 22 cards and each card has two faces. Hence, there are a total of 44 cards to choose from. If I have to choose 3 out of 44 cards then the possible ways could be 44P3.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2008
Posts: 74

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tarot Cards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2008, 02:09
scthakur wrote:
devilmirror wrote:
scthakur wrote:
I am puzzled. If three cards are used to tell past, present and future, will the order of these cards not matter?


Because the order of card is matter. That's why we use permutation.

Permutation: P(22,3) = 22 x 21 x 20 = 9,240

Note:
Combination: C(22,3) = 22 x 21 x 20 / 3! = 22 x 7 x 10 = 1,540



Then, where am I going wrong in my interpretation?
There are 22 cards and each card has two faces. Hence, there are a total of 44 cards to choose from. If I have to choose 3 out of 44 cards then the possible ways could be 44P3.


If you Assume number of cards is 22x2 = 44 , due to 2 faces than permutations of chossing a card out of a pack of 44 is different. Now you have only 22 cards to choose and each have 2 faces. Hope it clear your doubt !

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tarot Cards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2008, 02:45
AmitGUPTA wrote:
If you Assume number of cards is 22x2 = 44 , due to 2 faces than permutations of chossing a card out of a pack of 44 is different. Now you have only 22 cards to choose and each have 2 faces. Hope it clear your doubt !



Thanks Amit. I know what mistake I made.

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 47

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Location: New jersey
Re: PS: Tarot Cards [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2008, 03:10
Good work devilmirror ....

Just reminded me of concepts of permutation that is order is important in permutation.. and in this case order is important.
_________________

Target +700
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you gonna get.. :)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: PS: Tarot Cards   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2008, 03:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

A fortune-teller uses 22 Major Arcana Tarot cards to perform

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.