Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 15:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 15:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4922 [118]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [67]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [12]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 672 [6]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools:ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Send PM
Re: A gardener is going to plant 2 red rosebushes and 2 white rosebushes. [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
My approach:

Required Arrangement -- WRRW
- 2C1 * 2C1 * 1 * 1
Total arrangement -- 4! - 24.
Hence probability - 4/24 -- 1/6.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: A gardener is going to plant 2 red rosebushes and 2 white rosebushes. [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Bumping for review and further discussion.

Hello Bunuel, question for you, or anyone else who can confirm and clarify.

According to probability rules, we start with the most restrictive stages, and work our way from there.

The question asks what is the probably that the two red rosebushes in the middle of the row will be red, which gives us the restriction which can be interpreted as the most strict being that 2 in the middle are Red or the 2 on the outside are white, basically being the same.

Spot 1 Spot 2 Spot 3 Spot 4

Spot 1 - Has to be white, thus is 2/4 1/2
Spot 4 - (Continuing with the restriction that both outsides have to be white) is 1/3
Spot 2 - Has to be red, and since we have two red rosebushes left, it is 1
Spot 3 - Is also 1 since only the red rosebush is left

1/2 x 1 x 1 x 1/3

Multiplied together give us the answer of 1/6

Is there a mistake in my way of thinking?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Schools: IIMB
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
A gardener is going to plant 2 red rosebushes and 2 white rosebushes. If the gardener is to select each of the bushes at random, one at a time, and plant them in a row, what is the probability that the 2 rosebushes in the middle of the row will be the red rosebushes?
A. 1/12
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 1/3
E. ½

We are asked to find the probability of one particular pattern: WRRW.

Total # of ways a gardener can plant these four bushes is the # of permutations of 4 letters WWRR, out of which 2 W's and 2 R's are identical, so \(\frac{4!}{2!2!}=6\);

So \(p=\frac{1}{6}\).

Answer: B.

Or you can do with direct probability approach:
The probability that the first rosebush will be white is 2/4 (there are two white out of total 4 rosebushes);
The probability that the second rosebush will be red is 2/3 (there are two reds out of total 3 rosebushes left);
The probability that the third rosebush will be red is 1/2 (there are now one red out of total 2 rosebushes left);
Finally, only one white is left so the probability is 1;

P(WRRW)=2/4*2/3*1/2*1=1/6.

This 1 particular pattern WRRW , can it not be arranged in 4 ways , 2 ways that white bushes can be interchanged
and 2 ways that red bushes can be interchanged , so total 4 ways and as per my understanding shouldn't answer be 4/6.
Would really appreciate your help here.

Thanks
Megha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [5]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Megha,

The math that's required to answer this question can actually be done in a couple of different ways, depending on how you "see" probability questions.

We're given 2 red rosebushes (R1 and R2) and two white rosebushes (W1 and W2). We're told to put these 4 rosebushes in a row; the question asks for the probability that the "middle two" rosebushes are both red.

Probability is defined as…

(# of ways that you want)/(# of ways that are possible)

The # of ways that are possible = (4)(3)(2)(1) = 24 possible ways to arrange the 4 bushes.

The specific ways that we want have to fit the following pattern:

W-R-R-W

The first bush must be white; there are 2 whites
The second bush must be red; there are 2 reds
The third bush must be red, but after placing the first red bush, there's just 1 red left
The fourth bush must be white, but after placing the first white bush, there's just 1 white left

= (2)(2)(1)(1) = 4

4 ways that fit what we want
24 ways that are possible

4/24 = 1/6

Final Answer:

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
udaymathapati wrote:
A gardener is going to plant 2 red rosebushes and 2 white rosebushes. If the gardener is to select each of the bushes at random, one at a time, and plant them in a row, what is the probability that the 2 rosebushes in the middle of the row will be the red rosebushes?
A. 1/12
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 1/3
E. ½

To Find the probability of W R R W

P(W) * P(R) * P(R) * P(W)

\(\frac{1}{4} * \frac{1}{3} * \frac{1}{2} * 1 * 2! * 2!\)

2! * 2! for number of ways 2 RED and 2 WHITE can change their positions.

= \(\frac{1}{6}\)

Answer B

ALL THE BEST
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22041 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
udaymathapati wrote:
A. 1/12
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 1/3
E. ½

We need to determine the probability of white-red-red-white.

Let’s determine the probability of each selection.

1st selection:

P(white rosebush) = 2/4 = 1/2

2nd selection:

P(red rosebush) = 2/3

3rd selection:

P(red rosebush) = 1/2

4th selection:

P(white rosebush) =1/1 = 1

Thus, P(white-red-red-white) =1/2 x 2/3 x 1/2 x 1 = 1/6

Answer: B
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29893 [2]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
A gardener is going to plant 2 red rosebushes and 2 white rosebushes. [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
udaymathapati wrote:
A. 1/12
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 1/3
E. ½

APPROACH #1: Probability Rules
P(2 middle bushes are red) = P(1st bush is white AND 2nd bush is red AND 3rd bush is red AND 4th bush is white)
= P(1st bush is white) x P(2nd bush is red) x P(3rd bush is red) x P(4th bush is white)
= 2/4 x 2/3 x 1/2 x 1/1
= 1/6

APPROACH #2: Counting Techniques
P(2 middle are red) = (# of outcomes with 2 red in middle)/(total number of outcomes)
Label the 4 bushes as W1, W2, R1, R2

total number of outcomes
We have 4 plants, so we can arrange them in 4! ways = 24 ways

# of outcomes with 2 red in middle
If we consider the possibilities here, we can LIST them very quickly:
- W1, R1, R2, W2
- W1, R2, R1, W2
- W2, R1, R2, W1
- W2, R2, R1, W1
So, there are 4 outcomes with 2 red in middle

P(2 middle are red) = 4/24
= 1/6

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 23 Jan 2018, 07:41.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 23 Apr 2022, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29893 [0]
Send PM
A gardener is going to plant 2 red rosebushes and 2 white rosebushes. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Duplicate response.
Deleted.

Originally posted by BrentGMATPrepNow on 23 Jan 2018, 07:42.
Last edited by BrentGMATPrepNow on 23 Apr 2022, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
udaymathapati wrote:
A. 1/12
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 1/3
E. ½

Though i know these combinatircs formula and the probability rules, i couldnt apply a correct technique under time constraints

so i solved it like this :)

WRRW
WRWR
RWRW
WWRR
RRWW
RWWR

total number of possibilities 6. hence \(\frac{1}{6}\)
RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [1]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
GMATPrepNow wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
A. 1/12
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 1/3
E. ½

As with many probability questions, we can also solve this using counting techniques.

P(2 middle are red) = (# of outcomes with 2 red in middle)/(total number of outcomes)

total number of outcomes

- W1, R1, R2, W2
- W1, R2, R1, W2
- W2, R1, R2, W1
- W2, R2, R1, W1

= 1/6

Cheers,

Dear GMATPrepNow

Why do we consider that there are 2 different types of white or bushes? Is not R1 the same as R2 ( and also W1 & W2) so that (W1, R1, R2, W2) should be same as (W1, R2, R1, W2) and (W2, R1, R2, W1) and ( W2, R2, R1, W1)? All should treated as one arrangement.

Based on my understanding, I did it as follows:

W W R R
W R W R
W R R W
R R W W
R W R W
R W W R

P(2 middle are red) = 1/6..........Same as you got.

Did I go wrong in my solution above?

thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29893 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Mo2men wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
A. 1/12
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 1/3
E. ½

As with many probability questions, we can also solve this using counting techniques.

total number of outcomes

- W1, R1, R2, W2
- W1, R2, R1, W2
- W2, R1, R2, W1
- W2, R2, R1, W1

= 1/6

Cheers,

Dear GMATPrepNow

Why do we consider that there are 2 different types of white or bushes? Is not R1 the same as R2 ( and also W1 & W2) so that (W1, R1, R2, W2) should be same as (W1, R2, R1, W2) and (W2, R1, R2, W1) and ( W2, R2, R1, W1)? All should treated as one arrangement.

Based on my understanding, I did it as follows:

W W R R
W R W R
W R R W
R R W W
R W R W
R W W R

P(2 middle are red) = 1/6..........Same as you got.

Did I go wrong in my solution above?

thanks in advance

Your solution and my solution are both valid.
In your solution, you treated the same-colored bushes as the same and, more importantly, you applied this to BOTH numerator and denominator.
In my solution, I treated the same-colored bushes as different, and, more importantly, I applied this to BOTH numerator and denominator.

Cheers,
Brent
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 258
Send PM
The method i used was to consider the 2 red rosebushes as one.
Hence WRW
Three objects can be arranged in 3!=6 ways.
only one possible arrangement i.e. WRW
p= 1/6
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
This is a permutation question.

4! / 2! x 2! = 6 <--- # of ways you can arrange 2 red and 2 white rosebushes

Out of those 6 ways ONLY 1 way arrangement is W R R W

1/6

B.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
When we find total number of ways i.e 24 (4!), wouldn't we divide it by 2!, 2! for identical cases ?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
A. 1/12
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 1/3
E. ½

Total # of ways a gardener can plant these four bushes is the # of permutations of 4 letters WWRR, out of which 2 W's and 2 R's are identical, so \(\frac{4!}{2!2!}=6\);

So \(p=\frac{1}{6}\).

The probability that the first rosebush will be white is 2/4 (there are two white out of total 4 rosebushes);
The probability that the second rosebush will be red is 2/3 (there are two reds out of total 3 rosebushes left);
The probability that the third rosebush will be red is 1/2 (there are now one red out of total 2 rosebushes left);

Hi Bunuel, I got how you got 4!/2!*2! = 6 . But then how did we infer that the probability will be 1/6?

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618585 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shrihari12 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
A. 1/12
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 1/3
E. ½

So \(p=\frac{1}{6}\).

Hi Bunuel, I got how you got 4!/2!*2! = 6 . But then how did we infer that the probability will be 1/6?

Posted from my mobile device

There are \(\frac{4!}{2!2!}=6\) different ways to arrange W, R, R, and W:

WWRR;
    WRWR;

WRRW;
    RRWW;
    RWRW;
    RWWR

We need the probability of WRRW case: P = favorable/total = 1/6.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
udaymathapati wrote:
A. 1/12
B. 1/6
C. 1/5
D. 1/3
E. ½

So \(p=\frac{1}{6}\).

Shouldn't it be mentioned in the question that both red and both white roses are identical.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts